Hi-Metal R

joppewo

If you guys want to see something seriously funny, check out what the Japanese market is being charged for the Toynami GBP: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-012690

As a reminder, the Hi-Metal R GBP is 8140JPY on AmiAmi. Obviously the Toynami must be better since it costs almost twice as freakin much! :lol:

hehe! that's insane! and thoroughly laughable..

I'm ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that Japanese customers are sweating bullets trying to decide which masterpiece to add to their collection

/s

post-25-0-91039800-1437558620_thumb.jpg vs post-25-0-93415000-1437559136_thumb.jpg

On a side note I'm going to Japan tomorrow and I'm going to find some shitty 1/100 arii fighter mode kits so that I can poach their Decals for my bland hi-metals lol

Edited by Duymon

If you guys want to see something seriously funny, check out what the Japanese market is being charged for the Toynami GBP: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-012690

As a reminder, the Hi-Metal R GBP is 8140JPY on AmiAmi. Obviously the Toynami must be better since it costs almost twice as freakin much! :lol:

It's the shipping price and the rights, guys. It's the shipping and the rights cost to import it to Japan. Hahaha! :lol: And besides, it's not Macross that they're selling, it's Roi-30-tech. ;)

By the way, out of curiousity, since everything, I mean everything whether Japanese product or American product are shipped out from China's production houses, how come this one is double the price??? Please explain yourself, HG. :ph34r:

I'm ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that Japanese customers are sweating bullets trying to decide which masterpiece to add to their collection

/s

attachicon.gifWP_20150722_05_46_11_Pro.jpg vs attachicon.gifWP_20150722_05_46_57_Pro.jpg

On a side note I'm going to Japan tomorrow and I'm going to find some shitty 1/100 arii fighter mode kits so that I can poach their Decals for my bland hi-metals lol

They'll probably end up and built their own with Hasegawa's than having those HG Masterpieces. Hehehe. :lol:

Edited by no3ljm

The only things the Toynami has going for it is that you can get the Armor parts in 3 colors and the landing gear is white lol. I'm wondering if the toynami one is mistransformed. the slope on the back pack looks so wrong if it isn't.

Nope, it's not mis-transformed, if you peg in the arms to the legs the backpack sits at an angle up. They basically should have thinned the backpack down to compensate for this or thinned the arms. Bandai made the arms and backpack thinner which then enabled them to peg the backpack into the legs and really lock things down tight in fighter mode.

Yup as Jenius says after you click in the arms and make the legs straight the backpack just sits like that. To make it worse, the joint is super loose so good luck wooshing this sucker upside down around your desk lol.

I just wish Toynami would have just worked something out with bandai and licensed the hi-metals to rebrand into their Robotech line much like they did with Megahouse and beagle for the Cyclones, but who knows maybe that would have been impossible ;0

on a side note...wow the price of hi-metals skyrocketed in Japan... around 9000 for the tamashii web 1A`s and around 20000 for the Roy strike.

1.5 yrs ago I bought my Roys for 10000 max and my 1A`s for 5000-6000 each.

Today I`ll hit mandarake Akiba and see if they got any good deals.

Edited by Duymon

I think the Toynami 1/100 line was meant to be a response to all the Robotech fans who complained that $79.99 for a masterpiece toy was WAY too expensive and they wanted toys that were more equivalently priced to transformers. There was a pretty loud contingent of Robotech fans demanding for toys with toy prices, not collectible prices. That's why I think Toynami went after the $20 price tag and made all the concessions they did make. Importing the Hi-Metals would have put them right back at $79.99 so not quite what they were going for.

/s

attachicon.gifWP_20150722_05_46_11_Pro.jpg vs attachicon.gifWP_20150722_05_46_57_Pro.jpg

Haha, can you imagine the disappointment a Japanese valk fan would have after receiving the Toynami in the mail? To pay DX Chogokin prices and end up with the Toynami... I just really hope they don't fall for it, haha.

I think the Toynami 1/100 line was meant to be a response to all the Robotech fans who complained that $79.99 for a masterpiece toy was WAY too expensive and they wanted toys that were more equivalently priced to transformers. There was a pretty loud contingent of Robotech fans demanding for toys with toy prices, not collectible prices. That's why I think Toynami went after the $20 price tag and made all the concessions they did make. Importing the Hi-Metals would have put them right back at $79.99 so not quite what they were going for.

Hmm, perhaps Toynami has now lost sight of that objective as they're selling their GBP for $70 here in the US, The Hi-Metal GBP, after shipping (SAL) is probably going to run us around $75-$80, so a $10 premium for a vastly superior product (well, barring any spectactular VF-171 CF level failure on Bandai's part, haha). If the Toynami were like $40, and they had definitively fixed the easy-to-break joints, then yeah, I could definitely see it as a fair, budget alternative. For $70 though, I just hope they at least reinforced the joints at that price.

Yeah, I totally agree, I have no idea what they were thinking when they decided to green light the GBP toys if they couldn't think of a way to get them down to around $39.99. They also completely shot themselves in the foot. They just released Rick/Roy as part of the most recent wave.. now they're selling them again with GBP. So, they are potentially cannibalizing their own sales. There was a huge gap in 1/100 releases. They should have released a V2 and addressed the obvious issues with the original toys and maybe let the price creep up to $29.99 (as it appears they did anyway). Oh well, they're on a collision course with the Hi-Metal line now and I think we all know who will most likely come out on top.

on a side note...wow the price of hi-metals skyrocketed in Japan... around 9000 for the tamashii web 1A`s and around 20000 for the Roy strike.

Wut? Why would anyone pay that when a new improved Roy release is quite likely? I got my Roy strike for only 3500 yen, used/openned from Mandarake at 2011.

I recently got the VF-1J Max from the first Hi Metal line. How are you supposed to pull the arms out in gerwalk mode without popping them out of the ball joint? Seems the shoulder parts its connected to is a bit too tight? Also the wings are very loose. They wont fall off but they move with gravity. Is it supposed to be like that?

I'm seriously considering the Hi-Metal line to fill out my VF-1 Collection, seeing as they seem far more available than the 1/60th toys. I'd love to have A GBP VF-1 set, but arcadia's is darn near $300 now, and will probably only keep rising.

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

I'm seriously considering the Hi-Metal line to fill out my VF-1 Collection, seeing as they seem far more available than the 1/60th toys. I'd love to have A GBP VF-1 set, but arcadia's is darn near $300 now, and will probably only keep rising.

$300, Yikes! Where did you find that price for the GBP set, Ebay? You can find the set starting at $182-ish plus shipping here (As of 0237 it's still open) and some other stores.

As for the availability, I hope more orders open up on release because the Bandai preorder madness ain't cutting it for me.

Edited by wmkjr

$300, Yikes! Where did you find that price for the GBP set, Ebay? You can find the set starting at $182-ish plus shipping here (As of 0237 it's still open) and some other stores.

Yeah. It's on Amazon for 255, which I'd be ok paying that, but 182-ish sounds a hell of a lot better. I guess I'm just not looking in the right places. Anyhow, That's for much later, as I'm really hot on the Frontier era valks. I just ordered the VF-19 Advance that I've been wanting, and the VF-27 Lucifer is probably next with some super parts for my VF-171EX.

I recently got the VF-1J Max from the first Hi Metal line. How are you supposed to pull the arms out in gerwalk mode without popping them out of the ball joint? Seems the shoulder parts its connected to is a bit too tight? Also the wings are very loose. They wont fall off but they move with gravity. Is it supposed to be like that?

Check out anymoon.com's review of the Hi-Metal, he shows the transformation process. The arms should slide backwards and out pretty easily. As far as the wings, I have a Focker 1S, Max 1J and Hik 1J, and all three were purchased used, and all three have tight wings, tight everything. Not a loose joint on any of them.

Check out anymoon.com's review of the Hi-Metal, he shows the transformation process. The arms should slide backwards and out pretty easily. As far as the wings, I have a Focker 1S, Max 1J and Hik 1J, and all three were purchased used, and all three have tight wings, tight everything. Not a loose joint on any of them.

Got it. First time the hinge was really stiff so I couldnt get the arm out without it popping of the ball joint but its fine now. Thanks.

That review definitely needs an update... and it will probably get one right around the time the first Hi-Metal R toy is delivered to me.

Looking forwards to it :).