YF-21 Transformation Problem

Brand-X

Hey I have a problem with my Yamato 1/60 YF-21, can't seem to find any posts relating to this issue.

When transforming into fighter mode, I can't seem to get the backpack to properly snap down near the shoulder joints. I try to snap one side down, then the other pops up, though one side seems to be looser than the other. I've checked and it doesn't seem that anything specifically blocking the top part from snapping down properly, I have the small doors out of the way, and I've tried it without the arms and legs attached to the figure, so nothing's blocking it there. I think maybe the swing bar mechanism might just be too tight? Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks for the video, but I've watched that one before. At 4:20 he skips past the problem I have, where he simply says that everything is locked down. Perhaps I just have a lemon? I'll try and post some pics in the next couple of days to better explain my problem.

It would be easier to help if you have pictures or a video of the exact step that's giving you difficulty.

But if I understand your description correctly, perhaps the area preventing you from snapping the backpack down are the shoulders themselves. The shoulder pauldrons must be rotated to a certain position when stowing the arms in fighter. Failure to do so would not create enough clearance for the backpack to snap down in place. Hopefully that's the issue.

Edit: to clarify, I'm talking about the shoulder covers (that rounded armor piece covering the shoulder joint)

Edited by ArchieNov

Okay here's some pictures that may help.

First off, we have the left side. As you can see in the first picture, the top is flush, as the shoulder joint is pegged into the wing.

fBsnj6J.jpg

UoelF54.jpg

However on the other side, we have this:

viyghbE.jpg

rHVxt4e.jpg

As you can see, the shoulder swing joint doesn't peg into the wing. I can manually press it down and it'll snap into place, but then pop right out again.

Well, I believe the bar is supposed to be bent into a bow shape, but here's a picture of the bar itself (Please ignore the door being pushed down near the intake, that was just in this picture, so that's not the problem)

KjO0bxY.jpg

Edited by Brand-X

So first deliberate guess since I have not handled my VF-22S in a while.

post-18307-0-35750000-1415140531_thumb.jpg

Is this clip snapped in. I can spot a difference there between the left and the right side.

Here is a third video maybe this also helps:

I'm asking because it could be that the part is mis-molded. I have this problem on my YF-29 where one of the hip armors will not sit flush because something went wrong when the part was molded. Maybe it was yanked out of the mold not fast enough (or too fast) causing this problem. I have no idea if this is possible so this might not be the problem.

So if you try to push the top part down do you feel resistance?

Here are some pictures of mine.

post-781-0-86563300-1415143730_thumb.jpg

post-781-0-28076300-1415143775_thumb.jpg

post-781-0-55648400-1415143818_thumb.jpg

post-781-0-85842600-1415143907_thumb.jpg

post-781-0-54710200-1415143952_thumb.jpg

I don't see any problem with the metal parts. Maybe the plastic is warped a bit.

Use the last picture as reference and check is that plastic part is symmetric.

Edited by Froy

Having gone through it more thoroughly I feel like the entire back is just slightly warped. It feels like when both tabs are snapped into place the plastic is bending along the backplate slightly, it seems maybe just a little too straight. Along the central fuselage everything is tight but around the intakes I can feel a gap when I push down. Anyone have any ideas on a fix? I suppose I could just try to gently bend everything downwards

Yeah I've gone through it thoroughly and I can't see anything caught or otherwise pushing upwards against the backplate. I really am starting to think that the backplate is just slightly warped or something, as when I hold the side down that I'm having troubles with, the other shoulder often pops out instead.