I hate crap like that. That gives film fans such a bad reputation. But I suppose it's just as bad on the flip side, with plenty of folks hating on anything artful or foreign :)

I think a big part of loving film is loving ALL film. Recognizing great filmmaking and quality in each genre and being able to enjoy it without shame.

My collection has all kinds of hilarious pair ups in alphabetical order

Ghostbusters next to Ghost in the Shell

How To Train Your Dragon next to Inception

Malcolm X next to the Matrix

Robocop next to Rome

Terminator 2 next to There Will Be Blood

Thor next to Traffic

There's room in my collection for Ex Machina AND Avengers: Age of Ultron. To hell with the snobs :)

Yeah, I don't really get it. She kept saying, "I'll bet my movie was better." Well, that depends on what you were looking for. I like a good thought provoking sci-fi and I'm interested in what I've heard, I just didn't hear about this film.

Yeah, I don't really get it. She kept saying, "I'll bet my movie was better." Well, that depends on what you were looking for. I like a good thought provoking sci-fi and I'm interested in what I've heard, I just didn't hear about this film.

Having watched both I found them pretty meh. I'm probly going to be able to watch Avengers Age Of Ultron again and at least get some enjoyment from it, but I really have no desire to see Ex Machina again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Ex Machina has two Academy Award nominations:

• Best Original Screenplay
  • Best Visual Effects

It's pretty much the underdog on both categories. On Best Original Screenplay, it's competing with Bridge of Spies, Inside Out, and Straight Outta Compton. And the Visual Effects category is dominated by The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Ex Machina has two Academy Award nominations:

• Best Original Screenplay
  • Best Visual Effects
It's pretty much the underdog on both categories. On Best Original Screenplay, it's competing with Bridge of Spies, Inside Out, and Straight Outta Compton. And the Visual Effects category is dominated by The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Martian, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

It blows my mind this wasn't nominated for Best Picture. It's not a screw up of Drive proportions, but it's a pretty bad snub.

watched this movie last night with the misses.. I really enjoyed it actually! ^_^

Alicia Vikander plays the part so well! Certainly one of the hottest robots I've seen in a long time! :p :D

For me, it was the actress that played Kyoko that was incredibly hot.

For me, it was the actress that played Kyoko that was incredibly hot.

Sonoya and Alicia are both incredibly fine women. Kyoko's character was more overtly sexual, though, since Nathan essentially used her for service and recreational duties. She is what a type-A sociopath would consider an ideal mate: beautiful, mute, completely subservient, and wholly devoted to him. Ava has a more subtle sexuality, esp since her face and hands are the only parts of her that look truly human. Her intelligence, her ability to incite emotional response, and to project emotion are what make her so captivating, esp when Caleb, and the viewer, are acutely aware that she is an anthropomorphic machine throughout most of the film. I found the psychology of the film very interesting.

Alicia played a completely different kind of character in The Man from U.N.C.L.E., but no less enjoyable. There was much more levity and playfulness in her role, which had an allure all its own. Very lovely and talented actress.

Still can't believe the two guys in this film were in The Force Awakens.....didn't even recognize them in Star Wars.

That's the mark of good actors. They completely inhabit their roles, and can play all kinds of characters and personalities. While I love actors like Nicholson and Eastwood, they essentially play themselves in everything, and I can't unsee that its them. Character actors are often more fascinating b/c they play such a broad array of characters that one oft forgets that they were in this picture or that b/c its the character they play, not the actor, that one remembers. Just my personal observation.

Edited by M'Kyuun

• 1 month later...

Ex Machina wins the Best Visual Effects award at the 88th Academy Awards. In addition, Alicia Vikander wins Best Supporting Actress; just not for this film, though.

Vikander won for the wrong film. Also, this was a solid choice for Best Visual Effects. What they did in this film was seamless.

Of course, Ex Machina should have been in the running for Best Picture instead of Bridge of Spies or Room (so should have Sicario). And Vikander should have been nominated for this performance ahead of her role in The Danish Girl.

I'm surprised it got in for anything at all, much less that it won.

Not because it's a bad movie, but because it's science-fiction. There's an automatic uphill battle just because of that.

Tell me about it. There are people around that are still mad about Sigourney Weaver not winning the Best Actress award 30 years ago.