Bandai VF-19 Advance....!!!

Scream Man

I finally had time to transform it a few times and i love it. looks so nice in battroid and fighter mode and I'm an articulation whore so really appreciate the joints. I didn't find it that many more steps from a yammy vf-19. However in fairness, I have not bothered to put on the fast packs yet.

Are you planning to do a Battroid to Fighter transformation video. Somehow I find them much more useful. Especially the one you did for the VF-22S.

One question. Can the shield be placed only in an off-center position?

I will try to address some things with the transformation in the next video, but I'm not sure if I have time for a full battroid to fighter transformation video as of this time.

The shield can only be mounted off-center due to how it is only made for attaching fighter mode style. The toy would need a separate shield to do otherwise.

Had a chance to futz with my VF-19Adv earlier this week. I found the whole transformation process from fighter -- gappy and misaligned out of the box as many have mentioned -- to battroid intuitive and drama free. The only minor impediments I encountered were the left wing glove upper tab was hard to disengage from the leg's slot, and the right hip swing arm was very stiff; once these minor hitches were overcome (10-15 minutes of careful application of pulling or rotating force as necessary), the toy practically transformed itself. I also had no issues mounting any of the armor parts or boosters... a little finesse and pushing in the right spot and direction, and presto... and the pivoting mechanism on the hips support the wing gloves and wings with the boosters attached, in any position desired, without sagging a single millimeter. I find that Bandai has hit a home run with this toy. The only demerits I give this toy at this time, nitpicks really, are that I wish the canards could rotate upwards another 5 degrees or so, and that the feet weren't so pointy... reminds me of the Sabatons on some medieval armors.

This is definitely a very interesting take on design philosophy. However, I am of a different opinion. In most cases, I would argue that the lack of proper, clear, understandable instructions is the main cause of transformation agony, not complex design or lack of points of right on the toy itself. Many times, the user is unaware of how to go about doing something and is unaware of the points of right to begin with due to not being made privy by the instructions (and the language barrier doesn't help).

For instance, there is a correct way in which the YF-21's legs transform, but without clear instructions, the user has no way of knowing that there is an extra click to the knee to enable that black screw to be hidden.

With my Rubik's Cube analogy, you can solve it because there are good instructions to guide you though the process. But without those instructions, there is only frustration to be had with the toy. That's where experimentation and the finding of alternate ways of solving come in.

I argue that there are indeed points of right on the VF-19 to ensure that you can get a very clean-looking Valkyrie (lining up is in and of itself a point of right), but the instructions just aren't explicit enough, so you'll have to discover those for yourselves.

Agreed.

I've said before that personally I like complex transformations with a lot of steps. That's part of the appeal for me with transforming toys. It keeps me entertained for much longer than if the transformation was just as easy as a push of a button (like some simple kids toys).

The only time I wouldn't like a "complex" transformation is if it compromises the sturdiness of a toy. An example of this is the transforming Revoltech VF-1 (although this wasn't complex, but pulling it off with revo joints was just silly). Fortunately the VF-19 is pretty solid in all modes.

So my personal message to Bandai is... keep bringing on the "over-engineering" :)

Not transforming it seems like a waste.

I had transformed it to battroid when i first got it. It wasn't that bad. Then i put on the super parts. Yesterday i tried to transform it back to fighter with the superparts which wasn't that bad until i got to the part where you swing up the legs. Like the other guy who posted earlier the little pieces on the back of the leg kept popping out then the sholder part kept flying off. I haven't had as much fun like this since the version 1 armor parts for the vf-25. I managed to get it all together but it is gappy in parts. Good enough for now though. I think going back to fighter without super parts won't be a problem. The super parts were even a problem on the yamato 1/60 as well.

Gotta say, without fast packs, I've had no problems transforming to and from fighter mode. The instruction booklet is very clearly illustrated. While there are more steps than the Arcadia, it's still pretty easy too transforn in my opinion.

I'm personally just not a fan of Bandai's "Let's see how many tiny parts we fit into the space of this single solid piece" design strategy, mostly because of what a disaster it caused with the VF-171s.

They seem to have at least learned a little by now, and glad to see and hear how sturdy it is in practice.

Here is the first part of my video review, where I focus on the Valkyrie itself. The second part will cover the armor and all the other accessories.

Really nice review, Veef. I think this might be the first time I've watched any of your stuff and I have to say I'm sorry I've waited so long. Very well presented, very thorough, and most importantly, very helpful for anyone looking to purchase one of these, as well as people who want to know what the heck to do with it if they've already taken the plunge!

We're really spoiled for choice when it comes to guys taking the time to review and present new toys to the community!

Edited by mickyg

I'm personally just not a fan of Bandai's "Let's see how many tiny parts we fit into the space of this single solid piece" design strategy, mostly because of what a disaster it caused with the VF-171s.

They seem to have at least learned a little by now, and glad to see and hear how sturdy it is in practice.

I agree with this. I'm not against complex transformations, but like jenius noted above I like the feeling that each movement has a purpose and each piece has its place in each mode. Baring that, it's nice when the toy looks sleek and put together.

In Batroid mode, I think Bandia did a great job. Fighter mode is fiddly, though. It could be that I'm just not used to it. I haven't had time to go back to my copy since I've been busy with a writing deadline at work. When I do get a chance to revisit it, I'm going to try and reseat those pieces above the intakes. I wasn't able to get them flush when going back to fighter the first couple of times. And that could be because I missed a step, but fighting that and the hip-joint-from-hell was putting a damper on my fun.

Also I want to try loosening the screw on the tight hip joint since someone noted that it can help.

Edited by technoblue

Somebody said the super parts were fighting them earlier. In fighter mode, here's how I did it and it was a snap:

1) Bring legs down at the GERWALK joint and bring the lower leg back at the knee
2) Peg legs into the lower slot and install leg armors

3) Lift the shoulders up, install upper calf pieces. When doing this, pivot the interior shoulder guard below upper calf part after it's installed and then press the shoulder back down into its proper position.

4) Install the large shoulder parts.

5) Work your way forward there then sliding in the mid sized pieces and then finally the small pieces (making sure you have the right and left on the correct shoulder)

That's what I did and everything fit right in and for all the problems I had working out the kinks in fighter mode I found that all to be totally painless and everything is holding on really well. I think I see now what the complaints were though... those upper wing tabs look pretty bad.

I will say this though, while the boosters should fit easily enough, my left one just shoots right off the toy with the slightest tough. Whoops!

Edited by jenius

So I finally decided to go and transform my VF-19Advance back to fighter mode again (2nd time) and decided to compare it side by side to my Arcadia YF-19 and check it personally. I know I've said before that I prefer the look of the Bandai over the Arcadia before, but man... finally looking at them together up close, it suddenly feels like my Arcadia is the uglier toy.

I wasn't bothered by a number of things about the Arcadia before, but after doing a side by side myself, I must say:

• The color on the Arcadia really does look too pale, almost sickly, compared to the Bandai
  • The front canards are angled up way too much on the Arcadia. It's probably more line-art accurate this way. If so, then I prefer the stylistic change Bandai did
  • The cockpit bulge looks a lot bigger on the Arcadia, while having a smaller cockpit hatch than the Bandai. This combination makes the nose on the Arcadia look kinda fat
  • The fins on the legs are larger on the Bandai, which appears to be more line-art accurate

I didn't bother comparing tampo since I don't really expect Arcadia to use the same amount as Bandai does.

I still like my Arcadia toy for what it is, but unfortunately I feel my opinion of it has gone down a bit since I made the direct comparison myself. It does have its advantages over the Bandai in a couple of areas, but I think the Bandai has more of them over the Arcadia IMO

9O47DVC.jpg

So I finally decided to go and transform my VF-19Advance back to fighter mode again (2nd time) and decided to compare it side by side to my Arcadia YF-19 and check it personally. I know I've said before that I prefer the look of the Bandai over the Arcadia before, but man... finally looking at them together up close, it suddenly feels like my Arcadia is the uglier toy.

I wasn't bothered by a number of things about the Arcadia before, but after doing a side by side myself, I must say:

• The color on the Arcadia really does look too pale, almost sickly, compared to the Bandai
  • The front canards are angled up way too much on the Arcadia. It's probably more line-art accurate this way. If so, then I prefer the stylistic change Bandai did
  • The cockpit bulge looks a lot bigger on the Arcadia, while having a smaller cockpit hatch than the Bandai. This combination makes the nose on the Arcadia look kinda fat
  • The fins on the legs are larger on the Bandai, which appears to be more line-art accurate

I didn't bother comparing tampo since I don't really expect Arcadia to use the same amount as Bandai does.

I still like my Arcadia toy for what it is, but unfortunately I feel my opinion of it has gone down a bit since I made the direct comparison myself. It does have its advantages over the Bandai in a couple of areas, but I think the Bandai has more of them over the Arcadia IMO

<snip>

It's a fair opinion, but I dunno (even looking at your picture). Where you see a fatter nose, I see more well defined curves. The Bandai looks almost pencil thin and lacking definition. And that IS the Frontier look, so mine isn't really a criticism. I just think that it looks different from the YF-19 in Macross Pus. The color issue is a fair point, although I'm not bothered by it.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the line art comment. I think it would be better if you took a picture of each fighter from straight above to give an apples to apples comparison from the same perspective. It's hard to say which one is more accurate with this layout since they are both off center.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i agree with technoblue on the nose being more well defined curves.

as a whole, the bandai neck is inferior to arcadia's

So the Arcadia is the best interpretation of a PT YF-19 toy to date....

Is the Bandai PT VF-19 toy better than any of the Yamato PT VF-19 toy variants?

Good question!

I would go out on a limb and say that Bandai has made an excellent PT VF-19 Advanced (even though my first transformation was difficult). I consider it a great addition to a mature line. My experience began with Yamato, though, so I admit that my knowledge of the many releases of the 19 is limited.

But I'm one of those guys who has multiple Yamato 19 Valkyries: the Fire Valkyrie, the VF-19S, and more recently the VF-19P. My only huge criticism is of the pilot for the 19P. Although I understand why Basara was included in his Dynamite 7 get-up, I really wish a Zola pilot had also been added to that package.

For me, whether it is Yamato or Arcadia or Bandai, I think each company did/is doing a good job at trying to make anime accurate versions of their respective version. I'd have to haul all of mine out to give more of a critical analysis. At the moment, only Bandai's Advanced and Yamato's 19S are on display.

Edited by technoblue

I tried the superparts without problems installation and looks so good update the aspect a lot so you can display side to side with the other frontiers valks also is compatible with bandai missiles and even not attach you can display with the yamato foldbooster and not look bad at all also surprise me nobody has emphasized the long range of articulation of the arms

post-3872-0-79295000-1436549465_thumb.jpg

post-3872-0-26277800-1436549483_thumb.jpg

post-3872-0-62408600-1436549494_thumb.jpg

post-3872-0-34849900-1436549529_thumb.jpg

Edited by valhary

Just lost one of the fast pack bits that goes on the back of the knee. Why are they so damned fiddly and keep falling out in fighter mode?? Damned carpet floor.

How did the one on the back of the knee falls off since it's sandwiched between the shoulder and knee area during fighter mode? Were you installing it when it happened? My only advice on that since those are small and tiny, install it on top of the table rather on your lap or on the floor. Those things are easy to get lost once it falls from your lap or on the floor. Anyways, hope you find the missing piece.

How did the one on the back of the knee falls off since it's sandwiched between the shoulder and knee area during fighter mode? Were you installing it when it happened? My only advice on that since those are small and tiny, install it on top of the table rather on your lap or on the floor. Those things are easy to get lost once it falls from your lap or on the floor. Anyways, hope you find the missing piece.

It fell off when I was rearranging the arms since the shoulder wouldnt close up. When I noticed, I moved the leg down to fix the piece but it then fell out. Still looking for it...

Anyways that price... I wonder if Bandai will reissue this.

It fell off when I was rearranging the arms since the shoulder wouldnt close up. When I noticed, I moved the leg down to fix the piece but it then fell out. Still looking for it...

Anyways that price... I wonder if Bandai will reissue this.

Good luck Roanstalker. Additional note once you founf the piece. If you're going to put it back esp the parts that goes to the back of the legs is put a small piece of paper on the flat peg/slot to make it tighter just in case you don't want to apply a coat of clear nail polish in it.

Absolutely brilliant review as always. I've pretty much seen all your macross stuff. (^.^)

However... I really don't want to be the bearer of bad news/wet blanket/party pooper, but your leg(s) are in the wrong position, causing the wing to warp and the shoulder to not line up properly. It's pretty much the same issue that Roanstalker was experiencing.

DSC_0256_zpskrtxpgvy.jpg

Edited by Actar

I want one of these so badly. I'd sell both my 19's for this one (I wouldn't actually but still, this one is as perfect, seemingly, as it gets). Hopefully I can still find one after I get my taxes back next year.

I have made a video detailing how I install the fast pack (evidently called the Advance Pack) with everything I have discovered when playing with the toy: what to look out for and how to get everything aligned.

Please do let me know if it helps!

Edited by Actar

Btw were all Super parts designed so their legs have to bend at the hips to fit them in Fighter mode? I've noticed this in the VF-25 super/armored packs and it leaves a bit of a unsightly gap in fighter mode for the YF/VF-19. Did Kawamori design it to be like this?

Probably. Since it inherited the styles used from the VF-1's. The only ones that didn't have that bend the hip feature I think were VF-11's, YF-21's, VF-22's, and probably VF-0's. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by no3ljm

Great review! Something I noticed when messing with mine yesterday is that the boosters actually attach via 3 points. You mentioned the two obvious ones, where they click into the wing root, but there's a third on the bottom, that pegs into the inner hard point on the wing. If you line up all 3, its a lot more secure.

Also, well done for not completely losing it with all those fiddly parts.

Here is the second part of my review. Hopefully this is a good demonstration of how the FAST packs attach.