Bandai VF-19 Advance....!!!

Scream Man

I should point out that the CG textures in MacZero were not "farmed out to CAD monkeys in China" or whatever... They were mostly developed by one Hidetaka Tenjin, who most certainly is a very passionate aircraft enthusiast.

I should point out that the CG textures in MacZero were not "farmed out to CAD monkeys in China" or whatever... They were mostly developed by one Hidetaka Tenjin, who most certainly is a very passionate aircraft enthusiast.

So when Tenjin commented to Arcadia the 0D's color was wrong he absolutely knew what it was supposed to be, huh?

Maybe the VF19 Advance will be re coloured into some YF19 variants from Macross 30? Than can we see some new YF21/VF22 from bandai?

That would be fantastic if they did make a YF-21 or VF-22 using their Macross 30 license. The Yamato ones are kinda showing their age and have some questionable design elements.

That would be fantastic if they did make a YF-21 or VF-22 using their Macross 30 license. The Yamato ones are kinda showing their age and have some questionable design elements.

Bandai did prototype the YF-21 in the Hi-Metal line so who knows?

http://www.collectiondx.com/news_item/22410/hi_metal_yf21_macross_plus

Edited by bravo5

No use speculating yet but I'm very curious to see what will happen. I fear for Arcadia especially after the YF-19 being released while Bandai was undoubtedly working on this bird.

But the Arcadia YF-19 was officially announced in June 2013 (after being delayed about 6 months). So that's going to be about 18 months between release dates - a full masterpiece/DX type toy development cycle.

And with Bandai's limited releases it wouldn't even make any difference to their bottom line.

It's like if Bandai were to get upset by Arcadia re-releasing their VF-1 series. They were already there.

But the Arcadia YF-19 was officially announced in June 2013 (after being delayed about 6 months). So that's going to be about 18 months between release dates - a full masterpiece/DX type toy development cycle.

And with Bandai's limited releases it wouldn't even make any difference to their bottom line.

It's like if Bandai were to get upset by Arcadia re-releasing their VF-1 series. They were already there.

You're making a lot of assumptions though. The 19advance may have been delayed a lot because of Arcadia and Bandai may indeed be upset they didn't get the vf1 license when yamato folded.

Agreed. I don't know how Bandai could improve on what is already the most definitive transforming VF-1 toy ever produced. Personally, I'm over the VF-1. It's been done ad nauseam, and the Yamato/Arcadia version satisfies me. I want to see them wade into uncharted territory, producing some of the lesser known designs: VF-3000, VF-5000, VF-14, Variable Glaug :wub: , Octos, and so many others. Additionally, there needs to be a new improved YF-21 to stand next to their YF-19.

See, thing about that is, Bandai is insanely risk-averse, and extremely character-focused. They likely won't even touch the obscure designs, because they don't appeal to the larger viewing audience. It's something of a miracle that we got the YF-25 as a general release.

Given how saturated the market has been with VF-1s, I would bet they're itching to release one to cash in on the craze, but they also have to consider trying to compete with how utterly complete the Yamato VF-1 line was. Bandai probably wouldn't even release half of what Yamato did, and the hardcore fans will want matching collections.

I wouldn't mind seeing different takes on a few designs, but I don't know what I'd be willing to buy them again.

The only VF-1 variant I'm interested in acquiring at this point is the VE-1 Elint Seeker.

It's a shame that Bandai is averse to taking a little risk, as there are so many designs yet to be made into official toys, and Bandai certainly has the finances, as well as a number of strong properties, sufficient to allow for some risk. Arcadia goes out on a limb financially when they produce anything that might be perceived as obscure, or less popular or known. I'm actually surprised that Arcardia decided to produce the 0D, rather than follow up with a YF-21 redesign, or crank out a few more paint variants of their YF-19. I do believe that Arcadia takes a very passionate approach to their Macross projects, and overall, I think it shows when one considers the level of detail and accuracy they try to put into each of their Valks. I hope they continue to surprise us.

As for Bandai, Gundam is obviously their passion project for ever and ever. But to be fair, I give them credit for redesigning their VF-25 to be more anime accurate, and I think they did a fantastic job, unpainted landing gear notwithstanding. I also have the VF-171EX (without crumbly triangles thus far <knock on wood>), and I think it's a pretty neat toy as well, esp with Super parts. They've proven that they have the know-how to make a pretty decent transforming Macross toy, but I think they allow for more concessions.

What I think would benefit us, the Macross consumers, would be Bandai's contracting Arcadia to specifically produce a high grade line of Macross toys for them, with Arcadia taking lead, but working with Bandai's current Macross design team. With both sides bringing their A-game to the table, a sizeable budget, and willingness to produce a wealth of yet-unproduced Macross designs over the next decade, we'd be the financially destitute benefactors of all this Macross-y goodness. It's a dream, but I enjoy the speculation.

Oh you guys pretending like you wouldn't jump on a new VF-1... I have no such delusions. The V2 VF-1 is also six years old now... it's only a matter of time before a new toy trumps it. Also, how sweet would it be to see it animated again? C'mon Kawamori... DO IT!

I think you guys might have Bandai a little wrong. It's not so much that they're overly risk averse but more that they're profit-aware. Unlike a Yamato or Arcadia, Bandai chooses not to make something when they choose to make something else. "Do we want to print another Gundam this month or should we spit out a Macross toy?" You could see where this leads to fewer variants with Bandai. It's not that they're so scared of not making money on a less popular variant... they just might think they could make more money selling some other product. At the end of the day the point remains the same, it's very doubtful Bandai would go as nuts with releases as Yamato did... but let's not forget Bandai gave us a lot of those variants first so ti's not inconceivable.

I'm going to disagree with you M'Kyuun on the team work theory. Bandai certainly has room at the top to go nuts on a high end product and Bandai is just as capable of paying the design teams Arcadia would use. The best case scenario would be for Bandai to have competition proving that Macross is a healthy enough franchise to go a little nuts and still be profitable. Yamato did that for a while but apparently got a little carried away with it. It's kinda doubtful if Arcadia has even moved the meter. I would love to see Arcadia feel a niche though of high-end made-to-order obscure designs if they can find a way to do that profitably.

*snip*

What I think would benefit us, the Macross consumers, would be Bandai's contracting Arcadia to specifically produce a high grade line of Macross toys for them, with Arcadia taking lead, but working with Bandai's current Macross design team. With both sides bringing their A-game to the table, a sizeable budget, and willingness to produce a wealth of yet-unproduced Macross designs over the next decade, we'd be the financially destitute benefactors of all this Macross-y goodness. It's a dream, but I enjoy the speculation.

:wub:

-b.

*and yes, I'm aware just as M'Kyuun that this is just a pie-in-the-sky fantasy, so no one get in a twist about how this won't happen

I hope not... I think if Bandai went with Arcadia, it would be a step in the wrong direction :(

Less printing, less playability and more expensive (not a good combination!)

There's still things to fix in the VF-1 anyway. Bandai's Hi-Metal design for the shoulder transformation was a good idea. It's disappointing to see the Arcadia 0D is still reusing the same shoulder mechanism from way back when we've seen a better method in the hi-metal. The hip mechanism on the hi-metals were also a great idea for getting more range of poseability as well. There's things to tweak/perfect in a V3.

We are drifting quite far off topic now. Very interested to see fighter mode.

Wm Cheng...so negative! :) But, I agree, that's ,unfortunately, probably the way things would go, esp the rising prices. But, so negative!

I'm not familiar with the Hi-metal VF-1's shoulder or hip attachments, but if there's a better way, then I'm open to see it employed in a high end model, for which I'd part with my ducats.

We definitely need to see some fighter pics of Bandai's 19. If this turns out great and demand is high, I hope we're not faced with the VF-25 Renewal situation all over again. I know we will, but I'm hoping not. Still, demand may not be as high, given that a lot of folks with limited funds probably already shelled for Arcadia's, and one super expensive YF-19 is enough. I wouldn't mind getting one, but honestly, I love my Arcadia 19, and the Super Parts on Bandai's are not a selling point for me. I'm in it for the bird itself. And I like my YF-19 naked.

That's actually one of my concerns about this design.. those bits of shoulder armor really don't look any good at all. I mean.. they're not terrible? But I really hope they can be removed to just leave the normal shoulders. They don't even really look anything like the shoulder covers seen in the movie, which just seems really half-assed of them to do, given they practically own the movie.

First impression though, just from the promo shots so far, it looks like they covered the thing in stickers ten ways from Tuesday to put all kinds of "aircraft-ish" markings on it. I don't know how that'll look once it's actually sitting on the gear... especially if they stick to their usual style of landing gear.

Edited by Chronocidal

Wow...this has generated some serious interest, must be the YF-19 effect? This will be the 4th 19 toy....

In terms of toys,

1) old clunky Yamato 1/72 YF

2) old bandai 1/65 Mac 7 VF

3) Yamato 1/60 v1 YF

4) Yamato 1/60 v2 Mac 7 VF

5) Bandai hi metal Mac 7

6) Arcadia v2 YF

7) Bandai YF adv

Many iterations indeed...

I'm not familiar with the Hi-metal VF-1's shoulder or hip attachments, but if there's a better way, then I'm open to see it employed in a high end model, for which I'd part with my ducats.

The Hi-Metal had shoulders which slid out towards the tail end, and then folded out, rather than rotating out like the V2 Yamatos. It was not unlike how the arms on the Bandai 1/55 worked, except it had the extra step of sliding the arms out backwards so you wouldn't have to undo the hips.

The hip bar on the Hi-Metals was similar in design to Yamato's, except rather than having a trap door in the nose/crotch that opened up to secure the hip bar, they had a peg on the hip bar that fit into a hole. The hip joints also had a bit more clearance, and could pull out for greater range of motion.

If Bandai decided to release a V1 valk, the Hi-Metal would definitely be the design to take cues from rather than the 1/72 model kit. The hip bar and shoulders on the Hi-Metal were definitely superior to those of the Yamato.

Edited by SuperSenpai

The T-Bar system has to go, period! I epxect this from anyone making a new VF-1 toy in the size class of Yamato's or higher.

It's sad that one of the "simpler" VF design has to rely on this outdated method for leg deployment

I would like to have fuselage that aligns properly with the backplate and no void "airy" spaces behind it, allowing for proper seat tilting and egress hatch functionality and none of that faux extra parts things that we have to use.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i would like to see intake covers slide into place and option parts pilot seat rise out of the cockpit area to the head area in battroid.

i also would like the little repair arms coming out of roy to fix hikaru's 1d

i also would like to see the engine fans recede inside as the feet form.

and i would also like the heat shield to slide down in fighter mode so i can protect my vf-1s from heat when entering the atmosphere to save misa.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

i would like to see intake covers slide into place and option parts pilot seat rise out of the cockpit area to the head area in battroid.

i also would like the little repair arms coming out of roy to fix hikaru's 1d

i also would like to see the engine fans recede inside as the feet form.

and i would also like the heat shield to slide down in fighter mode so i can protect my vf-1s from heat when entering the atmosphere to save misa.

But we're all talking about things that will actually happen.

The Hi-Metal had shoulders which slid out towards the tail end, and then folded out, rather than rotating out like the V2 Yamatos. It was not unlike how the arms on the Bandai 1/55 worked, except it had the extra step of sliding the arms out backwards so you wouldn't have to undo the hips.

The hip bar on the Hi-Metals was similar in design to Yamato's, except rather than having a trap door in the nose/crotch that opened up to secure the hip bar, they had a peg on the hip bar that fit into a hole. The hip joints also had a bit more clearance, and could pull out for greater range of motion.

If Bandai decided to release a V1 valk, the Hi-Metal would definitely be the design to take cues from rather than the 1/72 model kit. The hip bar and shoulders on the Hi-Metal were definitely superior to those of the Yamato.

I'm not talking about how the backpack is attached in Battroid. I think that little mechanism breaks the look of the toy. The T-Bar works relatively fine. I just meant the way they designed the pelvic joints to extend out a bit to give it more dynamic posing. I really do enjoy posing the hi-metals in battroid. They work extremely well, although their much smaller size means weight isn't as big an issue on joints. it's just the other modes that look, imo, terrible. That's why I'm waiting for these 19 pics. The Battroid will likely pose well (though to be honest, minus the totally crap ankles, the Yamcadia one already poses real well in Battroid.) I'm not convinced fighter and gerwalk are going to look good (though gerwalk will pose great.)

Agreed. I don't know how Bandai could improve on what is already the most definitive transforming VF-1 toy ever produced. Personally, I'm over the VF-1. It's been done ad nauseam, and the Yamato/Arcadia version satisfies me. I want to see them wade into uncharted territory, producing some of the lesser known designs: VF-3000, VF-5000, VF-14, Variable Glaug :wub: , Octos, and so many others. Additionally, there needs to be a new improved YF-21 to stand next to their YF-19.

Yes please give us Variable Glaug.

More bad guy or interesting looking designs that are not just human aircraft please. Maybe Bandai or Arcadia could even redo the QRau again but this time way better posability for its legs and less floppy limb syndrome?

Green QRau, then do the Red Qrau from DYRL. And tampo print the markings on the green Qrau please.

VF-1 should be held off until after the new tv series toys imo.

Yamato did a good enough job and I doubt many people would rebuy an entire line again of vf-1.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

This site is always good for a laugh.

Checked out a video for the Hi-Metal. The shoulder slide and extended hip joints would both be nice improvements. I'm down for anything that improves battroid range of motion, so long as it doesn't compromise the fighter too much.

i think for me the issue with a new VF-1 isn't about what they can improve, it's about what I have now. i have 7 VF-1's from Yamato, and if they do the M&M's again I'll go up to 9. if u average that to about $200 a plane that's $1400. Now for me collecting is about having a definitive version of a toy. the new Arcadia 19 surpassed the old one sop dramatically, it got replaced on my shelf, I dont display the older one.

but the 1's are a great toy. The look good in both modes, they pose well, they're fun and easy to transform and they have decent detail and tampo. Sure there are fixes/changes you could make but... Do i need those fixes? Are they so much better that plonking down another $1400 to replace the ones i have is worth the effort? i honestly dont know what eatures a new 1 could incorporate to make me do that.

Now I only got the TV 1's, so if Bandai makes some new ones and they look good i may grab some DYRL versions of the fighter. And i suppose if Arcadia DOESN'T release the M7M's i may get those 2. but I'm not starting again because the ones i have a great toys.

Hell, The only reason I'll get Bandai's 19 is the SMS markings and different packs. If it was the Mac+ plane straight up i'd skip it; i already have a cool one of those!

It should be, AFAIK the 19' is close in size to the 25's, and would mean it's in the DX "non scale" scale of 1/65-ish.

That's some unkind rounding. At 1/60 scale the V2 VF-25 would stand 24.16CM tall. The toy stands 24CM tall... so almost spot on 1/60. Similarly, fighter mode should be 31.2CM long and it pretty much nails it. So it's fair to say with exception of the Monster, the DX scale is 1/60, not 1/65ish.