Bandai VF-19 Advance....!!!

Scream Man

I'm sure it'll sound like I'm complaining, but actually I'm just curious - what on earth is going on with the pics on the box/instructions, regarding the fastpack parts on the legs? The boxart clearly shows the back of the wing sitting below the top edge of the fastpack part on the leg. Ignoring the absence of the top tab (which someone has suggested is a photoshop job) I don't see how it's even physically possible to align the legs in this way!

Getting to the instructions again, notice how the fighter, with all packs on, doesn't even attempt to latch the shoulder super parts into the legs. Funny stuff! Did the printed media production team just give up? Interestingly enough, the boxart seems to at least get this part right.

I'm sure it'll sound like I'm complaining, but actually I'm just curious - what on earth is going on with the pics on the box/instructions, regarding the fastpack parts on the legs? The boxart clearly shows the back of the wing sitting below the top edge of the fastpack part on the leg. Ignoring the absence of the top tab (which someone has suggested is a photoshop job) I don't see how it's even physically possible to align the legs in this way!

Getting to the instructions again, notice how the fighter, with all packs on, doesn't even attempt to latch the shoulder super parts into the legs. Funny stuff! Did the printed media production team just give up? Interestingly enough, the boxart seems to at least get this part right.

False Advertising.

I've actually wondered if the box art was made with a pre-production version of the leg packs that were a different shape. I know a lot can be done with photoshop, but the parts dont even look anything like that on the legs.

To me, all of the box photos look like the leg parts are either taller, or just attached higher on the legs than they actually can be in real life.

I love this toy but I'm scratching my head about the hard points on the wings. I've tried a few of the weapons from my VF-171 (the AMRAAM looking ones, and a reaction antiship missile) and they just don't quite fit right. It's like the tabs on either side of the peg on the weapon, are just not quite the right shape. That, and the chord of the wing is quite narrow as you get closer to the edge.

Has anyone else had any luck mounting weapons to this yet?

attachicon.gifIMG_20150716_1602361.jpg

I've had no trouble mounting the various missiles (including the reaction and MDE torpedoes) from the VF-171s to the VF-19Adv. They just snapped right in for me. The only difference I can see is that the VF-19 peg hole is larger (which isn't a problem since the peg isn't what holds the missiles in place) than on the 171s or the YF-30, but otherwise the dimensions for the hardpoints appear to be identical to me. Thus far, I've found all the hard point accessories from all the 171 releases fit perfectly well on the YF-30 and VF-19Adv.

I just had a funny realization... weren't the diamond openings all over the YF-19's nose lenses for visual sensors?

Did they get replaced with thrusters somewhere, or were those always supposed to be thruster exhausts?

I think you're right, seems like they decided to make them thrusters. Not sure if it was retconed at some point, but it may have been.

I just had a funny realization... weren't the diamond openings all over the YF-19's nose lenses for visual sensors?

Did they get replaced with thrusters somewhere, or were those always supposed to be thruster exhausts?

Good point! In the Arcadia YF-19 marking guide it says to put keep clean markings there.

Maybe they became vectoring thrusters in the VF version as the Bandai VF-19 Adv has markings that say caution blast or something similar. :p

I had always taken for granted those were thruster exhausts!!! :o

I've been trying to read the 1/72 and 1/48 YF-19 Hasegawa decals to see if that's actually what they were, but I need a magnifying glass to see what they say. :lol:

Honestly, either thing makes sense for the design, but I can't find any of the close up details Kawamori might have drawn.

The VF-19 master file has "VFC KEEP CLEAN" for the diamonds on the nose. Whereas for the vernier thrusters, those have "WARNING HOT AIR" instead. On the Hasegawas, the thrusters have "DANGER" next to them. I haven't got a clue what the Hasegawa decals say for the nose markings, but they are pretty clearly made to be lenses. The Master File has them showing like cameras as well.

It seems like it's only the VF-19 Advance that they have been changed into maneuvering jets with the words "CAUTION HIGH PRESSURE GAS".

Yeah, I figured they just didn't pay attention. Oh well, it's not like it's a bad detail, they just didn't do the research.

The thing that really does stand out is that the ones on the VF-19 Advance are perfectly readable at 1/60, whereas I need a magnifying glass to even have a chance with the 1/48 Hasegawa markings.

From This Is Animation - Macross Plus Movie book, published 1995.

They are Active Airflow Control Units.

Oh yeah, I thought we were talking about the bits labelled "HIBLID sensor unit", the other bits I always figured were verniers, especially considering at one point we see the 19 shoot some sort of exhaust from something around that area.

What does AmiAmi charge for EMS to the U.S.?

It depends on the volume/weight of the box and where it is going. Amiami is one of the few places where I SAVE money going with air mail small packet, so I sometimes use that if I can wait for the item (and it is small enough). Here are a couple EMS charges I've seen for larger/higher ticket items sent to the East Coast:

* Variable Action High-Spec Orguss: 2880JPY

* Arcadia YF-19 w/ Fast Packs: 3080JPY

Edited by technoblue

yeah the way its displayed on the box art is not possible. If you do look very closely at that area you can see that the tab has been cut or colored over. I'd say they just didn't like how the ugly tab was visible for the box art and corrected it. Also in the main picture on the box the upper fuselage gapping is almost impossibly tight! More image trickery going on there also!

Out of all the photos I have seen of this toy and from my own experience with the ones I bought, not matter how much I tried I couldn't get the panel gaps anywhere near as close.

I guess they do this for the shop shelf impression value.. if it doesn't look so good on the outside then the buyer ain't gonna want whats on the inside!

What was their pre-order price?

I'm not sure , I wasn't able to get it on their preorder

What does AmiAmi charge for EMS to the U.S.?

It's probably around 3800-4000 yen .

Hobby search charged 4000 yen for ems.

Amiami does offer a cheaper register SAL option which takes about 2 weeks with tracking for 2390 yen.

yeah the way its displayed on the box art is not possible. If you do look very closely at that area you can see that the tab has been cut or colored over. I'd say they just didn't like how the ugly tab was visible for the box art and corrected it. Also in the main picture on the box the upper fuselage gapping is almost impossibly tight! More image trickery going on there also!

Out of all the photos I have seen of this toy and from my own experience with the ones I bought, not matter how much I tried I couldn't get the panel gaps anywhere near as close.

I guess they do this for the shop shelf impression value.. if it doesn't look so good on the outside then the buyer ain't gonna want whats on the inside!

post-12283-0-33175800-1437326646_thumb.jpg

Although when the planets are aligned, you pinch your nose, tap your left knee, spin around in a circle and jump on the spot not to mention actually transform the thing correctly then she does look pretty good for such a complicated transforming toy! So regardless of the dodgy box art credit should go out to where credit is due.. Bandai did a pretty darn good job i say!