Bandai VF-19 Advance....!!!

Scream Man

DAYUM! Was this the first Bandai VF to get a transformation video promo?

So it takes 10 minutes at fast forward speed to transform a couple of rounds.

VF toys are definitely the most complex transforming toys to date.

Edited by calubin_175

DAYUM! Was this the first Bandai VF to get a transformation video promo?

So it takes 10 minutes at fast forward speed to transform a couple of rounds.

Nope. This is their 3rd time now. First, YF-30. Second, RVF-171Ex. And it really helps a lot when they do this. ;)

I guess I'm a glass half full guy... personally, I'm loving the neck cover that tucks away into the shield idea. IMO it takes care of the 2 (arguably) most important modes: fighter and battroid. And while in gerwalk, it's no different than Arcadia - if you don't want to use the extra neck shield piece, you don't have to! But you have the option at least.

On the other side, although the Yamarcadias do look better with the neck cover on, they were designed so that the covers aren't really necessary in both fighter and gerwalk mode.

I guess that's the reason why it has a 'colapsible' front landing gear. To accomodate the waist swivel gimik. Arcadia should learn a thing or two from Bandai now. And that's a bold statement coming from a Y23000 toy. ;)

Well, it also looks like Bandai has learned a few things from Yamarcadia for this toy. :p

Well, it also looks like Bandai has learned a few things from Yamarcadia for this toy. :p

True. It's a healthy relationship that they have. A give-and-take relationship. ^_^ Now, let's wait for Arcadia to release their Version 3 YF-19. Hehehe. :lol:

I hope they copied Yamato/Arcadia and made the backpack in diecast. I can see it getting worked if made out of plastic and transformed a lot of times. I still have 2 on pre-order, but am not as excited as I was before I saw the video. The back of the leg looks pretty hollow and the transformation looks more complicated then it needs to be. Pray to the plastic gods that this one is made from a good batch of plastic, unlike the VF-171CF's.

Edited by Loop

Having watched the video, I'm more optimistic than before that it will be overall superior to the Arcadia---but still will wait for either Isamu's original YF, or a new color (SVF-569 anyone?), preferably with "Plus" style super parts, not the "totally utterly ridiculous in battroid mode" Frontier-style ones.

This, please:

TOY-RBT-2317.jpg

It seems once you get a good look of how a Valk transforms, the magic is lost and the attraction starts to fade on them.

I have 2 on order too.. but now I'm not sure if I should keep both so I'll never have to transform either :D or sell one and to save space

Also a little worried if any of the transformation steps may cause scratching of the paint / tampo printing all over this bird.

Kinda thinking about just running with one of this bird also. If I get around to it in time I may cancel the HLJ extra I got in on. Think I will leave this one in fighter mode.

Edited by Loop

Having watched the video, I'm more optimistic than before that it will be overall superior to the Arcadia---but still will wait for either Isamu's original YF, or a new color (SVF-569 anyone?), preferably with "Plus" style super parts, not the "totally utterly ridiculous in battroid mode" Frontier-style ones.

This, please:

TOY-RBT-2317.jpg

This will be instant buy!!!

Edited by Swoosh

Hmm, as expected, 95% similar transformation to Arcadia, apart from a few extra panels, front landing gear and shield neck cover. Well after all there are only so many ways you can design a transforming YF-19.

Anyway, looking forward to getting mine. Hopefully the wings in fighter mode won't be as froppy as the Arcadia version, which really annoys me.

Graham

Wow... that video... it even shows super parts on the wings in battroid mode without any issues, I'd love to see it be that tight at that joint in person. Really it's pretty amazing, it definitely seems like the next logical step forward from where Yamato/Arcadia left off... let's see if they really pull it off on the production toys and don't muck it all up with durability issues.

Am I the only one who likes the idea of a mech with 3D maneuver gear?

Nah, some of the Bayverse movie toys are more complex, at least to me. Actually, I find most valks to be pretty straightforward. It's the odd transformation steps, like the CF VF-171 knee locks, or the moving chest pieces and leg panels on the 19 Advance, put in there by the designers, that complicate the original design.

The VF-9 Cutlass is a different animal, though. Probably why nobody but Experten has attempted it in toy/model form.

Personally, the video made me like it even more. I was never bothered by "over-engineering" as long as it didn't result in a floppy mess.

Agree completely. The transformation is what makes these things unique and sets them apart from other toys. There's a puzzle aspect to them that requires ingenuity on the part of both designers and consumers. That's always been a great part of the appeal, not to mention getting 2 cool toys in one (I don't count GERWALK). I also share your concern of this devolving into floppiness, esp those wings, the wing shroud joints, and the hips.

Actually the transformation doesn't look hard, just lots of extra steps and folding in panels (which I like).

The thing that made the transformation seem more complicated from the video is the puzzle game theme music , and their extra bonus stage pause and then fast forward right after , which they probably won't need to do if they don't pause to show you the extra detail of yes and no. Those theme are great for fast paste puzzle games , but for transforming, assembling, and things that need that extra soft hand touch ,you probably don't want that as your background music as it may stress you out , or rush you to transform it quicker and ending up scratching or braking it. Lol.

Everything is looking good.

This, please:

TOY-RBT-2317.jpg

Insta buy +1!!

It seems once you get a good look of how a Valk transforms, the magic is lost and the attraction starts to fade on them.

I have 2 on order too.. but now I'm not sure if I should keep both so I'll never have to transform either :D or sell one and to save space

Also a little worried if any of the transformation steps may cause scratching of the paint / tampo printing all over this bird.

PM-ed you if you want to sell one :)

Edited by rnurmin

Let me ask a question that many will have on their minds. I have both the previous 2 Arcadia/Yamato renditions of the YF-19. Should I put the cash down for this one?

Not sure how to answer this properly. Based on my opinion, I really like the YF-19 so much so I decided to get this as well even if I'm so satisfied with my Arcadia version. That's why I have 2 of them. One to play with and one to display in fighter mode with Fold Boosters. The reason why I decided to get this is to also have a different version of it. And to display with my Isamu's YF-29. Based on the photos and video that we have seen, it really is different from the one we got from Yamarcadia. And from what I've noticed on this thread since Page 1, everyone was so excited that Bandai's going to release it even though it just have 2-5 second cameo in the last Macross Frontier movie. But when they saw the transforming video, some are kinda held back whether to keep their PO or not. I guess, some got turned off on the folding panels and other nitpicks and gimiks from the transformation. Which probably will make the Valk very loose in time.

The only thing you could do if ever is, wait for others to say what they think about their figure and decide whether you buy it or not. Or continue to preorder the thing, and have a feel once it gets arrive, and decide later if you still want to keep it or sell it. I mean, there's really no way to know how the figure is going to be unless it's in your hands. It's the same thing that happened with YF-30 release. Some kinda held back when they seen the transformation and the brackets, but after they got their figure, everyone is happy. Let's hope it's going to be the same with this release. ;)

By the way, since you mentioned that you have both Yamato and Arcadia's YF-19, how did you felt or what made you decide to get the Arcadia version as well since you already have the Yamato?

Edited by no3ljm

Let me ask a question that many will have on their minds. I have both the previous 2 Arcadia/Yamato renditions of the YF-19. Should I put the cash down for this one?

I certainly agree with everyone else about the unknowns regarding quality, durability, etc.... But no one has mentioned the price. At about only 2/3 the cost of the Arcadia version, I think (IMHO) it's a no-brainer to pick up if you're a fan of the 19 and your interest is still high after watching the video.

I'm actually in the opposite situation as you (don't have the previous YF-19s but have a pre-order for this VF-19) and I'm actually somewhat glad I didn't pay secondhand market price for the Arcadia now since I'm liking the esthetics of the VF-19 more and don't mind the more complex transformation at all. Like ArchieNov, I'm a fan of the engineering.

By the way, since you mentioned that you have both Yamato and Arcadia's YF-19, how did you felt or what made you decide to get the Arcadia version as well since you already have the Yamato?

Ah, that's a brilliant question. Honestly, it was because of how poorly the original Yamato YF-19 aged and the ton of nitpicks and imperfections that it had. The Arcadia one improved on it by leaps and bounds and brought in a ton of new mechanics, transformation features and gimmicks to the table that was indicative of what modern toy engineering was all about. Not to mention, Arcadia/Yamato had a phenomenal track record with Macross products (being one of the few players in town) and with their VF-19s being a huge success, everyone was waiting for the new YF-19.

There are a number of problems that I have with Bandai's 19. I don't mind panels and fiddly transformations as I am a huge fan of 3D puzzles. The more complex a toy is, the more I revel in appreciating and analyzing the engineering (ROTF Optimus being one of my all-time favorites). However, I was kind of disappointed to see that many of their design features were pulled directly from the Arcadia one with only minor improvements with regard to the panels and articulation. Also, while I am a huge fan of the YF-19 and Isamu, I am a fan of the original Plus before all else. Therefore, the additional SMS markings and FAST Pack doesn't really do it for me.

So in conclusion, I suppose that while I love the YF-19, buying Bandai's version will yield me little returns given all that I can see at this point in time. Perhaps I'll spring for one when other reviews and opinions come in.

Ah, that's a brilliant question. Honestly, it was because of how poorly the original Yamato YF-19 aged and the ton of nitpicks and imperfections that it had. The Arcadia one improved on it by leaps and bounds and brought in a ton of new mechanics, transformation features and gimmicks to the table that was indicative of what modern toy engineering was all about. Not to mention, Arcadia/Yamato had a phenomenal track record with Macross products (being one of the few players in town) and with their VF-19s being a huge success, everyone was waiting for the new YF-19.

There are a number of problems that I have with Bandai's 19. I don't mind panels and fiddly transformations as I am a huge fan of 3D puzzles. The more complex a toy is, the more I revel in appreciating and analyzing the engineering (ROTF Optimus being one of my all-time favorites). However, I was kind of disappointed to see that many of their design features were pulled directly from the Arcadia one with only minor improvements with regard to the panels and articulation. Also, while I am a huge fan of the YF-19 and Isamu, I am a fan of the original Plus before all else. Therefore, the additional SMS markings and FAST Pack doesn't really do it for me.

So in conclusion, I suppose that while I love the YF-19, buying Bandai's version will yield me little returns given all that I can see at this point in time. Perhaps I'll spring for one when other reviews and opinions come in.

Yeah. That's true. Yamarcadia's 'newly and improved' VF-19/YF-19 really stands out. And I salute them for that esp since I didn't get the chance of owning the first YF releases from Yamato. Including the 2 protoype variants which I really like. But we've already seen them do great stuff over and over with Macross/DYRL, M+, M7, M0. Here's the thing, would it interest you to see a different company, other than Arcadia, to get a chance and take on one of their famous releases and make it their own? E.g. the VF-19 Advance (which is just a souped-up version of the YF-19, IMO)? It's interesting since you mentioned Bandai just picked up what's already been done by Arcadia with adding only minor improvements. It's like what Graham said 'There are only so many ways you can design a transforming YF-19' which is true. All the transformation somehow identical except with those panels and articulation. But this time, Bandai retained the original design for the pelvic part instead of using what Arcadia did. They used the original design concept of flipping the pelvic part just like the early Yamato release. And this time, they added the waist articulation which IMHO, Arcadia should have put it on theirs since they renew the design. But to be honest, they just reused the design from their VF-19 releases and just added those missles. And to top it off, Bandai's price is not as expensive as the Arcadia. Which most of the member here says it's a no-brainer. ^_^

Now here's another question, would I still buy another Arcadia YF-19 down the line if ever they learned some things from this Bandai release? Yes I will. Why? Simple. Because I like Arcadia's model-like quality better than Bandai's. The ONLY thing that I really don't like with Arcadia releases is the lack of tampo markings. ;)

Edited by no3ljm

I am still trying to figure out if the backpack will be diecast like the Yamato VF-19's/Arcadia YF-19. I think that will increase the durability during massive transformations, It also added a nice heft to the toys.

Do we know how big the advance will be relative to Bandai's other releases? I don't recall ever seeing any pics of it alongside the frontier fighters or the

YF-30.

I certainly agree with everyone else about the unknowns regarding quality, durability, etc.... But no one has mentioned the price. At about only 2/3 the cost of the Arcadia version, I think (IMHO) it's a no-brainer to pick up if you're a fan of the 19 and your interest is still high after watching the video.

I'm actually in the opposite situation as you (don't have the previous YF-19s but have a pre-order for this VF-19) and I'm actually somewhat glad I didn't pay secondhand market price for the Arcadia now since I'm liking the esthetics of the VF-19 more and don't mind the more complex transformation at all. Like ArchieNov, I'm a fan of the engineering.

im in the same situation as you!