Captain Marvel, in theaters Mar. 8, 2019

azrael

Once again am in disagreement with the reviewers who gave this flick a low rating...

i can see why they might not like it as much as the other mcu movies, esp parts which seemed a little too contrived. 

However I find captain marvel to be a fun ride! Visually arresting, I enjoyed the 90s nostalgia trip picking out the nuances of the era...

Fury was still as cool as ever, Kree and skrulls had interesting settings, the telling of captain marvel’s origins were kept in mystery till the end, and there would be questions after the movie abt timelines of things found in the story...

And oh yeah, GOOD KITTY! 

Again, a fun show worth the price of admission...

It's a little slow because of the flashbacks and it's an origin story. I wanted more awesome fights but I hope for Captain Marvel 2! (Probably will get those in Avengers Endgame...)

One downer was that my next-seat neighbor was a little noisy with their reactions so it annoyed me a bit. The songs were all good I also really felt nostalgic for the 90s :D

The music was a little too on the nose sometimes, as if it's screaming "HEY, IT'S MUSIC FROM THE 90'S!!"

As an uber fan of Garbage, I do love "Only Happy When It Rains," but it didn't really connect with the story other than to point out it's the 90's.  Personally, I think "Vow" or "Push It" would have fit better with the Carol's story.

Also, am I the only one who thought "That's Matthew Murdock, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Danny Rand's unofficial theme song!" once "Come As You Are" started up?

Lastly, the background music sounded like someone trying to imitate Trent Reznor's The Social Network soundtrack.

Despite some minor annoyances with a few of the music/song choices, I thought the overall film was solid, probably around the level of Ant Man and the Wasp.  There's some things I don't like in the film, but it's a serviceable outing.

Just saw it and liked it. Goose was funny as hell. It did a good job of showing how Captain Marvel might just be powerful enough to threaten Thanos. 

Excellent homage to Stan Lee in the very beginning. And as for the second stinger at the very end of the credits, well, it may cause nausea in some. 

Minor thing I noticed that bugged me-----caught my eye in one of the later scenes in the theater, and now I notice it's in the trailers for an earlier scene:

When she has her helmet on, she gets "Batman-style black eyeshadow all around, filling in the area between the mask-edge and her eyeball".  It mysteriously comes and goes with the helmet, and gives an odd effect when she blinks, because it's there one second and gone the next, with how frequently she "turns the helmet off and on".  (it's not really TAKEN off or PUT on like normal).  

::edit:: It's more obvious with the brighter, red suit, but here:

rs_600x600-190108044126-600.captain-marv

We saw it last night and really liked it. It’s not one of the bigger epic marvel films, but a bit more toned down to deal with her learning her powers. When she finally lets loose it’s the best depiction of comic book super powers ever done in live action. It visually looked so great that I can’t wait to see her go all out in a much more epic sized battle in the upcoming Avengers film.

I think the bad reviews are people just expecting a bigger movie rather than an introductory origin film.

Just got back from seeing it and really enjoyed it. I did my absolute best to stay away from anything spoilery and I think it paid off. I was surprised by some things, not as much worth others and overall, thought it fit in nicely to the rest of the unverse we've come to know so far. 

Looking forward to seeing it with my kids soon. 

Not to mention Marvel is supposed to be so powerful that, when you see her work in Endgame, you might ask yourself “how’d she get this way?!”

You'll also miss the great backstory with Fury. 

need your opinion,

Would I be losing a lot on the Avengers movie next month if I missed this?

It doesn't hurt to have the extra information to help flesh out the character, but probably not.(?)

If you are not going to see it, then there is the mid-credit scene you should probably take a look at - unless they just teased it here and they shower a fuller version in Endgame.

Still, go and see it. Catch a matinee.

Saw it yesterday. It was fine, but the character herself is hardly memorable compared to the other members of the cast. I don't think she's compelling enough as is to carry another movie on her own, certainly not as much as, say, Black Widow or so. She also has an... irascibility to her that makes her kind of fundamentally unappealing as a protagonist. Or rather, I should say that her personality doesn't reflect her story. She's kind of sarcastically mean for the sake of being sarcastically mean. There's a throwaway line at the beginning that she uses humor to deflect, but other than that one mention, it's never brought up again and she never really grows out of it or reframes it or... does anything with it. Starlord is a lot of the same, but both movies - the second especially - do a lot more with it than the writers manage to do here with Danvers. It feels like this Captain Marvel is just sort of going through the motions of a superhero origin story rather than living through one.

Still, all else aside, it was fun popcorn fare while it lasted.

Saw it twice.

First time, I liked it.

Second time, I loved it.

And I loved the swagger that Brie Larson brought to the character, it made perfect sense in the context of the character and what she's always had to overcome.

-b. 

Saw it last weekend with my son and his girlfriend. Thought it was OK, not great. Wouldn't pay to see it a second time.

Liked the tribute to Stan Lee in the opening and also liked

that it showed how/why the Avengers Initiative was created.

Thought the CG for the cat's tentacles was pretty bad though.

On the whole I liked it, and it's not the worst Marvel Movie (that would be Thor 2). It could have been better, but it was still a good movie overall.

I kind of understand the flak that Thor 2 gets, but I still find that one enjoyable.  It's hard to pick a "worst" one.

Watched it monday, and had a good time.  I think the relative weakness of Danvers' character could be attributed to her situation, and not really having much time to develop in the midst of everything else going on.  With how much mental and physical damange/conditioning she'd gotten in the past few years, it doesn't surprise me she's a mess, but her situation just didn't get the focus for most of the movie.  I actually think the weakest part of the movie is when she goes full-on nuclear, and wipes the floor with everything.  I know she's supposed to be really powerful, but that particular scene felt a little overpowered even for the Avengers universe.

I think the backstory for Nick Fury was probably the highlight of the movie though, even if it was a relatively shallow "connect the dots" deal.  I am a little torn though, in terms of whether they might have revealed too much?  It still was fun to see.

I also got a kick out of the scenery in a few places, and nods to the locations they were referencing.  I don't live far from Rosamond, and the repeated nods to Edwards AFB were amusing, even if the location was kept vague.  The bar "Pancho's," and her pause at "The Right Stuff" in the Blockbuster made me chuckle.  Also, unless I mistook the scenery, I'm pretty sure I know the exact stretch of CA Highway 14 that they used for the location of what will eventually become the SHIELD facility in the first Avengers movie.

Also, probably my favorite Stan Lee cameo out of any of the movies, and the intro tribute was really well done.

I kind of understand the flak that Thor 2 gets, but I still find that one enjoyable.  It's hard to pick a "worst" one.

I don't understand why everyone hates on Thor 2 so much, I liked it more than the first one and I've thought all the Thor movies have been good (maybe I just like Chris Hemsworth too much? I don't know). I do however find it really easy to pick a worst mcu film, it's The Incredible Hulk.

back on topic, I liked Captain Marvel a lot, I'm looking forward to seeing the character more.

I have to disagree with chronocidal about the weakest point in the movie. That scene alone was worth the ticket price. I also think it’s a great teaser for what to expect for the upcoming avengers film and sets a high bar for all super hero depictions in movies to come, wether from marvel or dc or whatever.