Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Well for starters it starts this THURSDAY, not Tuesday. ^^;
More importantly, I originally decided not to translate this bit of news back when it was announced because it's exclusively for subscribers of Docomo phone service and is a phone-exclusive information service.
Therefore we don't know if anyone will actually access it that speaks English.
Can always hope ppl screenshot it on Twitter though I guess.

Edited by Tochiro

Well for starters it starts this THURSDAY, not Tuesday. ^^;

More importantly, I originally decided not to translate this bit of news back when it was announced because it's exclusively for subscribers of Docomo phone service and is a phone-exclusive information service.

Therefore we don't know if anyone will actually access it that speaks English.

Can always hope ppl screenshot it on Twitter though I guess.

Thats even better no waiting!! Thanks for the info, will keep eyes open!

The interwebs will find a way! :D

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/12/10/shoji-kawamori-the-creator-hollywood-copies-but-never-credits/

At the time of the show, there is something known as Var Syndrome which makes people very aggressive and is spreading across the galaxy like a kind of epidemic. In among this are the tactic musical unit Walkure, a group of girls who can sing. The effect of their singing is used to calm the effects of the syndrome.

The girls from this tactical musical unit are also be supported by Delta platoon, which are transformable combat troops deployed in these operations. Then there are the Aerial Knights, which are separate and somewhat of a mystery group. So all these elements interact and the story will progress from that.

In Frontier, the story was based around a colony fleet visiting various planets but this is more about specific planets and the different people who live on them.

In terms of Aerial Knights, their insignia indicates a degree of nobility and while they have elements similar to the Anti-United Nations in Macross Zero they are not directly connected, but do have a similar standpoint.

At the time of the show, there is something known as Var Syndrome which makes people very aggressive and is spreading across the galaxy like a kind of epidemic. In among this are the tactic musical unit Walkure, a group of girls who can sing. The effect of their singing is used to calm the effects of the syndrome.

Damn you Kawamori, you copy my fanfic. <_<

I wonder if Var is just a natural ocurrence or is a biological weapon. In my story singing is not only a "cure" or a way to influence the behavior of people, I'm exploring the effects in "Genetic Reprograming" as a permanent effect.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/12/10/shoji-kawamori-the-creator-hollywood-copies-but-never-credits/

The girls from this tactical musical unit are also be supported by Delta platoon, which are transformable combat troops deployed in these operations. Then there are the Aerial Knights, which are separate and somewhat of a mystery group. So all these elements interact and the story will progress from that.

In Frontier, the story was based around a colony fleet visiting various planets but this is more about specific planets and the different people who live on them.

In terms of Aerial Knights, their insignia indicates a degree of nobility and while they have elements similar to the Anti-United Nations in Macross Zero they are not directly connected, but do have a similar standpoint.

That was one of the best interviews ever!

Yes.

All other details about her are shrouded in mystery.

Also, we now know that Freyja is 14.

attachicon.gif1.jpg

So i take it freya is the lead vocalist and the other girls would be the group (though they look older).

Wonder also if those circles on their costumes on the waist do anything or just part of the costume or their walkure group logo.. It seems to appear on both girls.

Long extensive interview bookmarked for reference! Nice summary of his life and also the various influences throughout.

Good stuff for a primer to the work gone into macross, and also historical info on gundam, top gun too!..

Suggest folks read it...

Gospel from the Hoary Froating Head!!

So informative. And you can read between the lines and see he's mad as hell about the Robotech/HG situation.

Interesting that he refers to the problems with licensing Macross overseas in that interview. Not a topic that comes up often.

Why is Forbes interviewing Kawamori? Thought it was all about rich people and their fortunes.

Alrighty, 2nd character announced!

Guynemer Bigumo (sp? Could possibly also be read Biun. Reading unconfirmed as of yet.)

Walkure vocalist

attachicon.gif2.jpg

i would say Miun or Mikumo no? Bigumo hardly sounds effeminate at all in Japanese..

edit: btw her description says she is the vocalist for the walkure and that her personal life, life history etc are all shrouded in mystery lol. what's the point of a character description if you don't say anything in it? oh wait just looked at the thread closely, you already translated all that.

Edited by cyde01

i would say Miun or Mikumo no? Bigumo hardly sounds effeminate at all in Japanese..

edit: btw her description says she is the vocalist for the walkure and that her personal life, life history etc are all shrouded in mystery lol. what's the point of a character description if you don't say anything in it? oh wait just looked at the thread closely, you already translated all that.

Everything about her is a mystery including how to read her name lol

Was talking to some fans last night and there's almost a dozen possible interpretations at this point. Given that her first name is not only French, it's a male name, who knows how the surname will eventually read f^_^;)

Shoji Kawamori Forbes interview.

“Macross Delta’s story is set 8 years after Macross Frontier. While Frontier was based closer to the galactic core of the Milky Way, Delta is set in the planets at the outer rim.”

“At the time of the show, there is something known as Var Syndrome which makes people very aggressive and is spreading across the galaxy like a kind of epidemic. In among this are the tactic musical unit Walkure, a group of girls who can sing. The effect of their singing is used to calm the effects of the syndrome.”

“The girls from this tactical musical unit are also be supported by Delta platoon, which are transformable combat troops deployed in these operations. Then there are the Aerial Knights, which are separate and somewhat of a mystery group. So all these elements interact and the story will progress from that.”

“In Frontier, the story was based around a colony fleet visiting various planets but this is more about specific planets and the different people who live on them.”

“In terms of Aerial Knights, their insignia indicates a degree of nobility and while they have elements similar to the Anti-United Nations in Macross Zero they are not directly connected, but do have a similar standpoint.”

Now we know what exactly the Var syndrome is and where Macross Delta is set. Var syndrome being some hate plague that can be countered by music. Delta is set at the Galactic Rim. Probably the same general region where Macross 11 and Zola is.

Someone didn't scroll up before posting, did they? ;-)

In all seriousness though, there wasn't much in the interview about delta that wasn't already known/announced. The main new info is the direct effect of music in Vars (which had been hinted at previously but not explicitly states).

As for the recently announced live action Robotech movie, I welcome the opportunity to work on it but that request has yet to come.

Oh my God, this is the best possible outcome they could EVER hope for. The guy they pilfered from and have kept his work from going global offering to make the Designs for them. Holy Christ Chex, talk about discovering plutonium by accident!

As for the recently announced live action Robotech movie, I welcome the opportunity to work on it but that request has yet to come.

Oh my God, this is the best possible outcome they could EVER hope for. The guy they pilfered from and have kept his work from going global offering to make the Designs for them. Holy Christ Chex, talk about discovering plutonium by accident!

And would be the worst possible outcome for Macross since it would legitimize HG and set a precedent.

Regardless, there's a separate thread for the article and that sort of talk. Let's try to keep this one to Delta :-)

Now this is a premise for bringing an idol group into combat I can get behind!!

I hope the source of the syndrome is equally well conceived. So far I am hopeful and intrigued...

Nice to get a bit more info on the setting. Sounds good so far

I really like Guynemer's character design. There's a shot or two of her in the trailer in non-idol attire. She definitely caught my eye. I hope they give us some more info about the female pilot soon too.

The pronunciation of the katakana in her name is tripping me out though, especially the "NU" character in the middle.

Nice to get a bit more info on the setting. Sounds good so far

I really like Guynemer's character design. There's a shot or two of her in the trailer in non-idol attire. She definitely caught my eye. I hope they give us some more info about the female pilot soon too.

The pronunciation of the katakana in her name is tripping me out though, especially the "NU" character in the middle.

To me, French in katakana always sounds weird...

The Var syndrome reminds me of the rogue Zentradi in UN Spacy plot in Macross 7 Trash to increase Zentradi aggressiveness using Protodevlin Spiritia technology.

It is also amusing Kawamori has Basara and Sharon Apple as opposites because in games it is Basara doesn't hate Sharon Apple and is the one who convinces her.