Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Again, the nice thing about Macross (as opposed to, say, Gundam or Star Wars) is that, however much you complain, a rising tide really does lift all boats. New SDF-1s, a huge VF-1... This is all because of Delta.

Maybe you hated the trailer, maybe you won't buy the DVDs or BDs. Maybe you won't buy toys or kits of the VF-31. But with every new Macross series that ISN'T for you, there are products made that you'll love.

Not hate just not as excited as I thought I would be. But I still want to see that first episode or tease that's coming up soon.

Really? Even I'm excited for it and according to the people around here I'm not even a fan.

Seriously. I think since Macross Frontier was the first Macross in years for me and that helped. It felt new. Add in Yoko Kanno, I love her work in Ghost in the Shell and I was hyped. The first Macross Frontier teaser trailer was awesome. I was ready. The animation was fresh for Macross. I guess for Delta I wanted those same feelings.

I'm really not into the speculation thing, but some things of similarity seem a bit interesting to note. In Zero, the wind played an important part in that series. Also, we were introduced to the SV-51, the SV being of the AU forces. I'm curious to see if there are ties to all of that. Seems like it will be an interesting story. Despite the panic here, it looks like there should at least be an underlying deeper story here. I'm guessing that there will be a mix of what will draw in new fans, and a story that connects the past ones as well.

I think Basara will show up in Delta...

OH GOD, please NO! He's wandering somewhere in the galaxy singing to mountains, let's let him be...

As much as I want to see a more political story, this is not an OVA so I doubt I'll get my wish.

Yea that looks more like a pipeline or aqueduct to me as well

I thought that was some kind of transportation between the macross ship and the city.

I think Basara will show up in Delta...

BOMBA!

I kinda hope so. Basara is a fun character when he isn't trying to carry the whole show.

On the other hand, he's also kinda famous. His natural propensity for stealing the spotlight would be amplified a thousandfold. It'd be hard to work out a scenario where he could justifiably show up and NOT become the center of attention for an extended period.

Delta takes place long enough after M7 that I could imagine a grizzled, middle-aged Basara showing up anonymously. Maybe a drifter with gray stubble and an old guitar shows up for a one-off episode where he teaches everyone a lesson about love and the power of rock, before disappearing as suddenly as he arrived.

And then Mylene shows up in the next episode looking for him, and the rest of the series is about her. Please?

Delta takes place long enough after M7 that I could imagine a grizzled, middle-aged Basara showing up anonymously. Maybe a drifter with gray stubble and an old guitar shows up for a one-off episode where he teaches everyone a lesson about love and the power of rock, before disappearing as suddenly as he arrived.

And then Mylene shows up in the next episode looking for him, and the rest of the series is about her. Please?

Hey, the first part of that sounds cool to me. Edited by Mazinger

And Isamu in Frontier....

Isamu was blatant fan service. Everyone recognized that immediately.

In M7, I expect, they brought back Max and Milia because they were the only popular characters that could be used to tie SDFM and M7 together. It had been a decade since the first series aired. Their presence along with their daughter, also became a plot point in the show.

MF chose to tie M7 to MF through music, both Sheryl and Ozma were Firebomber fans.and we saw several direct references to Firebomber in the show. Sheryl borrowing Basara's signature call and Ozma playing Firebomber on his car stereo.

In MD's case, it has only been a few years so the market hasn't really forgotten Frontier yet, thus there is less need to tie the two series together as much.

Edited by Zinjo

Focker was in both MZero and SDF Macross. M&M were in both SDF Macross and M7. Mao was in MZero and MFrontier and the whole Nome connection is pretty clear. So.... it happens but it rarely feels shoe-horned which is nice. Isamu's random cameo is just... well... random, and it's only in a movie for a split second.

there seems to be alot of people on the forum that think that characters are aging in a linear format. yes for example macross plus took place in 2040 AD (relative to earth), but all this gets a bit confusing and tricky once you start "folding" (FTL travel), so macross delta is taking place in 2067 AD (relative to earth), so did Isamu Dyson really age 27 years? we know 27 years passed on earth, but we dont know if isamu "aged" 27 years.

depending on the number of times a character experienced folding that character is technically younger than he "should" be.

But the calendar is universal, 2040 is the same year in Earth and Eden... and with the Galaxy Network the exact time can be shared across dimentional space too.

the calander is universal yes. the "age (more specifically the biological age)" of a character to that calendar is relative.

look at this scenario:

Character A folds to earth, the fold takes 30 minutes, Character A's location at the time of the fold is 3 light years away from Earth distance by conventional space.

during this time,

When he exits the fold.

people on earth aged 3 years.

character A aged 30 minutes.

Edited by Koko

the calander is universal yes. the "age (more specifically the biological age)" of a character to that calendar is relative.

look at this scenario:

Character A folds to earth, the fold takes 30 minutes, Character A's location at the time of the fold is 3 light years away from Earth distance by conventional space.

during this time,

When he exits the fold.

people on earth aged 3 years.

character A aged 30 minutes.

It would be neat if the concept of time dilation was introduced in Macross. They'd probably need a Gunbuster style science lesson to make sure viewers grasp the idea. Edited by IXTL

It would be neat if the concept of time dilation was introduced in Macross. They'd probably need a Gunbuster style science lesson to make sure viewers grasp the idea.

well it is physics, but now with fold quartz technology, the ability to travel instanteniously AND go back in time, solves this puzzle... you basically choose the location AND time you want to fold to and do it. (all thanks to fold quartz , which birler wanted to use to meet minmay)

but then you open a new can of worms,... time travel.

Edited by Koko

well it is physics, but now with fold quartz technology, the ability to travel instanteniously AND go back in time, solves this puzzle... you basically choose the location AND time you want to fold to and do it. (all thanks to fold quartz , which birler wanted to use to meet minmay)

but then you open a new can of worms,... time travel.

And none of this has ever been a Macross topic.

by conventional space.

Uh... the show was called Super Dimension Fortress Macross

The protagonists travel in/through another dimension and pops in the convetional space without all the time-dilatation crap.

Right?

Edited by Gerli

The protagonists travel in/through another dimension and pops in the convetional space without all the time-dilatation crap.

Right?

That's more or less my understanding. Fold travel time is spent in super-dimensional space, not conventional space. Time appears to pass the same in both, with shorter travels in SD space being able to correlate to larger distances in normal space.

Folding in Macross isn't like any of the "conventional" FTL approaches.

That's more or less my understanding. Fold travel time is spent in super-dimensional space, not conventional space. Time appears to pass the same in both, with shorter travels in SD space being able to correlate to larger distances in normal space.

Folding in Macross isn't like any of the "conventional" FTL approaches.

Except for A Wrinkle in Time, that is.

However... Folds aren't instantaneous, because of Fold Faults. Which is why Fold Quartz was/is so highly sought after.

Right?

Yes and no. There is a little bit of time difference (source materials indicate that there is a difference between the "objective time" and the "subjective time" spent in a Space Fold, but the difference is for all intents and purposes, negligible. The Super Fold Booster (using Vajra Fold Quartz) is not only unaffected by Fold Faults, but also eliminate the difference between that subjective and objective time difference.

Nevertheless, Koko does raise an interesting point. The Earth-time vs. character-age difference isn't as large as Koko has suggested, but there is some difference - especially given that Isamu et al were using Valkyrie Fold Boosters at the dawn of that technology.

However, there's another couple of ways for the animators to get around the age thing:

- stasis sleep

- cloning and memory transfer into a smaller body (even though Macross doesn't tend to delve too deeply into pseudo-science, this is what the Zentraadi are doing whenever they My-clone or enlarge their body [bodies!?]).

We don't even have a broadcast date yet - but we DO have a Monster Hunter collaboration for the VF-31! lol

What is interesting is the weapon used in that video.

I wonder if that melee weapon will be featured in the Macross Delta anime, possibly carried in the VF-31's weapon pod.

I can explain the passage of time involving fold travel with one simple formula.

F-U Logic!

Hello Anime-Magic!

Actually, it WAS logical in the original series.

We know, IRL, that the passage of time in our universe is intimately related to the speed of light.

It stands to reason that a parallel universe with a different speed of light(but physics close enough to our own to be compatible with our life and machinery) would ALSO have a different rate of time flow. It makes good sense, and shows up in a lot of "hard" science fiction because of it.

It's also implied in-show that the variance in time flow is regular and proportional. That is, that an hour in fold space equals a larger, but trivially-calculated, amount of time in realspace. Which is what you would expect from a universe with a different rate of time.

And then Frontier crapped it all up with a big convoluted retcon about faults, quartzes, speed bumps, and hyperspace bypass ramps. I will never forgive them for that pile of nonsense.

Yes and no. There is a little bit of time difference (source materials indicate that there is a difference between the "objective time" and the "subjective time" spent in a Space Fold, but the difference is for all intents and purposes, negligible. The Super Fold Booster (using Vajra Fold Quartz) is not only unaffected by Fold Faults, but also eliminate the difference between that subjective and objective time difference.

Nevertheless, Koko does raise an interesting point. The Earth-time vs. character-age difference isn't as large as Koko has suggested, but there is some difference - especially given that Isamu et al were using Valkyrie Fold Boosters at the dawn of that technology.

However, there's another couple of ways for the animators to get around the age thing:

- stasis sleep

- cloning and memory transfer into a smaller body (even though Macross doesn't tend to delve too deeply into pseudo-science, this is what the Zentraadi are doing whenever they My-clone or enlarge their body [bodies!?]).

Also one more notion that many people forget. Living in space.

The reason the human body ages as it does is due to the affects of solar radiation. If a person lives in space for long perods of time then their body "ages" slower than those on the ground. So Isamu may be pushing 50, but have the body of a 30 year old as it has been spared the typical dosages of solar radiation his contemporaries on planets experience.

It also answers the question of how Max and Milia would look so young in M7 despite their relative ages.

One could extend this to the Zentradi, who live almost exclusively in space, so it would add to their already long life spans.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Delta speculations. ;)

Edited by Zinjo