Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Via Macross the Ride, there are at least a few people left in the galaxy who [are/claim to be] descended from Anti-Unification Alliance soldiers who survived the First Space War... like air racer Magdalena Zielonaska, who claims her grandfather was the original pilot of the modified SV-51γ she races in. Her family's got plenty of money and influence too via their ownership of the Vistula & Oder investment bank. So, I guess there's the possibility that this new faction could be a anti-government faction with ties to the original Anti-Unification Alliance.

(Or the SV designation could simply indicate that some remnant of Sukhoi Aviation is at large in the galaxy and developing Valkyries for parties other than the central government.)

I agree. Where there is a market, there will be a supplier.

I'm sure there are governments, independent colonies or even piracy syndicates who are not associated with the NUN or wish to use their tech (to be beholden to them). So another producer is in the mix to supply variable fighter craft to these groups. Using the SV designator is one way to establish the independent nature of these products by invoking the AUA fighter designation from pre-GSW history.

The easiest analogy is US military tech vs Russian military tech. US tech is seen licensed or sold to specific allies, whereas Russian tech is sold to pretty much anyone regardless of their world status.

Edited by Zinjo

Where were all the calls to lock the thread several pages back when all the hating was going on?

If the thread gets locked now over the suggestion of a gay love triangle....Macross World just comes off as homophobic....

I didn't mean to come off as homophobic. It's just that the discussion was veering so far into left field as to not even be in the stadium anymore.

Where were all the calls to lock the thread several pages back when all the hating was going on?

If the thread gets locked now over the suggestion of a gay love triangle....Macross World just comes off as homophobic....

-3 to bring back balance to the thread! :rolleyes:

Just keep things civil and/or let the mods keep it so...

I'm not concerned about a gay love triangle in Delta, I'm concerned about what ignorant comments might come out of some people's mouths regarding one in this thread. That was my reasoning.

Since I don't think this has been discussed yet, I'll bring it up.

The production staff on key roles lacks experience compared to people that worked on Frontier, the one that worries me the most is the CG Director position. This is an excerpt from a Ichiro Itano interview around the time Frontier was being produced:

Back when Frontier was announced some of us wondered/hoped for Itano's involvement, but of course didn't happen, Frontier still managed to deliver and this guy is the reason why, so in my opinion it is surprising to find out that he is not involved with Delta, instead we have someone with a handful of projects under their belt with the task of delivering one Macross's staples, it's fight choreography. I seriously doubt they would mess up something as important as this, but still, I would have liked someone from the "Itano school" still involved with Macross.

Hironori Morino will be taking over Hiroshi Yagishita's position from Frontier.

If I had to guess, the other two positions seem to have been recruited due to their animation experience in "Expelled from Paradise" -no directing experience, only animation credits, from a brief look at this movie, it does have some rather nice fight choreography in the same style as Macross, very dynamic. Directing experience comes from AKB0048 meh...

The staff on the original Macross back in 1982 also lacked substantial experience, apart from Ishiguro. I think they did OK.

Kawamori choreographs the variable fighter battle sequences. He has since SDFM (with the exception of M2).

Not exactly. I think you mean he does the storyboards? Sometimes. But still, storyboarding is not the same as choreographing.

So... Aerial Knights of the Kingdom of Wind

Kingdom of Wind

...Wind....

Sara and Shin descendants maybe?

Wow, that's...pretty mind blowing if it's true.

However,I don't think a single couple is enough to populate a planet. Unless, they found some magical protoculture tech to make that happen.

Great theory though, I love it. I would like to know what happened to Shin and Sara too. (Macross 30 doesn't count. :lol:)

Not exactly. I think you mean he does the storyboards? Sometimes. But still, storyboarding is not the same as choreographing.

As Chief Director he has final say over the shot does he not? This is what I meant with respect to Delta. Granted he wasn't always the chief director, so his storyboards would have to suffice in the early days.

I also read he was responsible for directing the valkyrie battles during SDFM, but that was the total involvement he had with directing back then.

Edited by Zinjo

As Chief Director he has final say over the shot does he not? This is what I meant with respect to Delta. Granted he wasn't always the chief director, so his storyboards would have to suffice in the early days.

I also read he was responsible for directing the valkyrie battles during SDFM, but that was the total involvement he had with directing back then.

OK, but having final say over a shot is what directing is, not what choreographing is. For example, Steven Spielberg has final say over how the actors read the lines, but he is not the one doing the acting. The people who handled valk choreography vary depending on the episode/scene, the person who gave Macross its spectacular reputation in terms of aerial battles is Ichiro Itano.

It's just occurred to me that, since the Draken III's don't have a transparent canopy, the pilots must fly them completely through sensor inputs, and perhaps a computer generated image of the outside world. Take it a step further, and perhaps the Knights are cyborgs, and those hair things are their brain interface to the Draken's systems.

It's just occurred to me that, since the Draken III's don't have a transparent canopy, the pilots must fly them completely through sensor inputs, and perhaps a computer generated image of the outside world. Take it a step further, and perhaps the Knights are cyborgs, and those hair things are their brain interface to the Draken's systems.

thats an avatar (hair) and macross plus (brainwaves) rehash! hey but if it works it works...

I would rather think of it like having fold powers tho...like they can activate space fold anytime...and ...warp in weapons!

I think that's an awesome set of speculations. No way to know yet, of course, but you should win a Minmei doll if you're right.

What occurs to me is that, since we saw all the way back in M+ that a valk cockpit could have an external view displayed on its solid interior surfaces, there's really no reason other than failure-proofing for valks to use transparent canopies at all. So having a solid canopy doesn't necessitate some kind of special sensory interface, although the "coding" of the show certainly suggests that correlation.

We also know from Mac+ that the technology exists in-universe for a non-invasive neural interface. And we know from 7 that it even saw some limited use in a production craft.

Certainly it was a troubled invention in it's infancy, but the fundamental concept was proven sound. Refinement would be inevitable.

I'd be surprised if the hair-spears are part of a cybernetic interface, but I'd get over it.

Tail of the VF-31. Name of a new faction in Macross Delta? Or is it the squadron name?

No doubt more details will be revealed in the lead up to ep.1 in less than two months.

On a related note, having spent a lot of time up close with the Chogokin Draken III prototype today, I gotta say that it's the sexiest piece of Valkyrie toy engineering since the Yamato VF-4. The underside is smooth as silk. And yes, there are two engines.

post-9325-0-57690900-1446386893_thumb.jpg

Tail of the VF-31. Name of a new faction in Macross Delta? Or is it the squadron name?

No doubt more details will be revealed in the lead up to ep.1 in less than two months.

On a related note, having spent a lot of time up close with the Chogokin Draken III prototype today, I gotta say that it's the sexiest piece of Valkyrie toy engineering since the Yamato VF-4. The underside is smooth as silk. And yes, there are two engines.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

tochiro, you just made my saliva glands act up with ur statement! :rolleyes: plus you got to spend some close up time with it B)) ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aether_(classical_element)

aether means pure or fresh skies...fits the hero valk nicely...am not sure if it would be adressed as the VF-31 aether version...

Edited by seti88

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

There are two engines? Where is the second located?

You didn't get a sense of any sort of transformation looking at it, did you?

This isn't something new. The VF-25 had a limited version of that, and just using tech optics doesn't necessarily mean they are cyborgs. The BDI system is what was reserved for those on Galaxy with cyborg systems, which more or less allowed them to become the Valkyrie.

There are two engines? Where is the second located?

You didn't get a sense of any sort of transformation looking at it, did you?

There are two feet on these, so it's my guess that they're just very close together to make it look like one.

Yea it was mentioned. There was half-joking speculation that he could be Alto's son. (I also suggested a time-displaced and de-aged Alto himself because who knows what crazy adventures the Vajra Queen took him on)

Maybe he is a crazy Sheryl fan that wears merchandise that is related to her all the time to show his affection..

...and Macross Delta is a deconstruction of the whole idol group otaku thing. ^_^

As fun as speculating is. Is there a translated summary of the discussion before the trailer was shown?

Given that Kawamori has wanted that Fold Quartz connection between Macross Zero and Macross Frontier, I wouldn't put it past him to make yet another such connection with Macross Delta by having this blue-haired fella waering such a pendant.