Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

The real question here is why aren't the girls singing Valkyrie pilots? I had my bets on Jamming Birds 2.0 with less annoying U.N.SPACY pilots focusing exclusively on the idols.

Because having the Valkyrie girls actually being the pilots would go against the moe design of the characters. They're there to sing songs and look cute.

Having them actually doing anything badass would go against the whole 'cute girls doing cute things' stereotype.

Honestly, it would be kinda creepy for them to be singing about love and peace while pumping their enemies full of leads. :lol:

Do you remember? The time when our variable fighters first met?

Do you remember? The time when my bullets first touched your skull?

That was the very first time I set out on the journey of love destruction.

I love you so. :ph34r:

tumblr_inline_nsh3sfwQPJ1t4s698_500.gif

Edited by Reaction Warhead

Because having the Valkyrie girls actually being the pilots would go against the moe design of the characters. They're there to sing songs and look cute.

Having them actually doing anything badass would go against the whole 'cute girls doing cute things' stereotype.

Honestly, it would be kinda creepy for them to be singing about love and peace while pumping their enemies full of leads. :lol:

Do you remember? The time when our variable fighters first met?

Do you remember? The time when my bullets first touched your skull?

That was the very first time I set out on the journey of love destruction.

I love you so. :ph34r:

Exactly. That's why Macross 7 is the best thing ever. ;)

I enjoy being around older people because their tastes are often more refined and matured.

We're still talking about cartoons with robot planes in them, right?

Sigh...how many times do I need to point out that the idol girls ARENT the VF-31 pilots?

Not to mention the fact that most people are making judgements on a 90 second teaser with explicitly stated unfinished animation in it? There was 43 minutes of context and discussion leading up to that teaser. But apparently no one watched the actual live stream. (p_-)

*Sigh,* social media...

Sigh...how many times do I need to point out that the idol girls ARENT the VF-31 pilots?

Not to mention the fact that most people are making judgements on a 90 second teaser with explicitly stated unfinished animation in it? There was 43 minutes of context and discussion leading up to that teaser. But apparently no one watched the actual live stream. (p_-)

Welcome back to the wonderful world of instant judgements, nerdgasms, and other memes. Brought to you by social media.

Social media. Because everyone needs to know what your drunk ass ate at 3AM in the morning.

You can repeat what you've said a billion times, but people have already made their minds up from 90-seconds of footage paired with a stock soundtrack and a few images.

It might be because most of us dont speak Japanese (English is no my first lenguage either)

there is little to no information in the front page of what was discused during the stream

the teaser and images only present the girls and the valks not their pilots

An ACTUAL FB2012 No-BS-this-time VF-4G!! HiMetal Super Ostrich!

Wait, what???? *runs over to toy section*

You know what spanner, that might actually explain some of the hostility that has been going on in this thread. Everybody is Macross starved! They just want to see a good Macross show after years without new contents. Some felt disappointed because it's not the Macross they grew up with, others defend it to the death because...well, let's face it..this is all they're gonna get for the next X amount of years. Being Macross fan is suffering. :p

You're forgetting the portion that actually genuinely like what they see.

I'm just glad we're getting at least two female pilots. One from the trailer and one on the poster of the Kingom of Wind.

I like the character designs so far, except for the actual outfits the valk girls wear. But hey, they're idols, it's part of the job.

It will be interesting to see Macross against the backdrop of a Medeival/Feudal influenced society

Edited by Raptor One

No... if you're referring to the red-haired person standing up in that Kingdom of Wind poster... pretty sure that's a dude.

But what YOU have to understand is that:

(A) Most of us fans outside of Japan understand less than ten words of spoken Japanese.

(B) Most of us only watched the trailer, not the lead up live stream (which we were told would be blocked outside of Japan), or if we did, we didn't understand a damn word of it anyway.

Again, just to reiterate, the majority of us fans living outside of Japan don't speak or understand Japanese, so we are mostly going on the visual impressions we got from watching the trailer only.

So, yes, we are extremely grateful for any clarification from those members that are fluent in Japanese and did have the luxury to be able to watch the full Japanese live stream.

But at the same time, less high horse attitude would be appreciated also! We are not all so lucky to live in Japan and to be be able to understand the language.

Please understand that most of us are like blind man groping in the dark for any understanding of the new series.

Especially when they swear up and down about how "The Love Boat" is the best sitcom of the 20th century.

And how old Battlestar Galactica is way better than new Battlestar Galactica.

Um, original BSG is better than the new BSG. New BSG is good, but not superior to the original. I love the original, really like the new one, and am even eager for that ever looming Brian Singer reboot feature we hear about every now and again.

Ok, back to the real discussion...

Wait, what???? *runs over to toy section*

I'm just glad we're getting at least two female pilots. One from the trailer and one on the poster of the Kingom of Wind.

I like the character designs so far, except for the actual outfits the valk girls wear. But hey, they're idols, it's part of the job.

It will be interesting to see Macross against the backdrop of a Medeival/Feudal influenced society

I didn't forget about them. I did mention there are people who are defending Delta to the death from fans who are disappointing in what they're seeing so far. By literately telling them to quit Macross and anime in general. :lol:

Not sure why this became old people vs young to begin with, and definitively not liking how these "young people" are displaying such arrogance against other people who don't like what they like. :rolleyes:

Stop-liking-what-I-dont-like.jpg

Um, original BSG is better than the new BSG. New BSG is good, but not superior to the original. I love the original, really like the new one, and am even eager for that ever looming Brian Singer reboot feature we hear about every now and again.

Ok, back to the real discussion...

Can't say too much about the old BSG since i wasn't old enough to see it when it orginally come out, but the new BSG ended pretty badly imo.

The first couple of seasons was great, but near the end it seems like the writers just ran out of ideas or something. Some plot point just didn't go anywhere, and they had to drop it mid-season. All in all it ended in a pretty wracky way....so pretty much space magic ending. :lol:

Edited by Reaction Warhead

Thank you. I feel like making this my signature.

The Knights of Wind have a monarchy kind of vibe, and Sketchleys translation of the details around the fighters imply they are the aggressors from off world. i think its a colonial dispute, and being handled between worlds. Not to say we won't see NUNS at some stage, but I'll be surprised if they have much screen time.

neat details on the armaments there. Thanks! :)

I kinda thought it was a Unicorn with dragon wings, but i could be way off. The horse is running forward, the wings spread on either side.

I actually prefer the Frontier films. With the exception of Michaels immortality i prefer them to the series in almost every way.

Yep.

That surprises me. You don't like the non-mecha side of the show? That's... a lot of the shows.

I don't even know what that means.

Just to clarify, Macross for me has always been one of those rare animes where everything has gelled perfectly....., the mecha, the combat scenes, the music, the characters and the story, to present a whole that is greater than the individual parts.

However, my main love has always been the mecha, the fight scenes and the music in that order, with everything else such as characters and story being less important.

So far only the mecha kinda 50% impresses me about Delta, nothing else.

I'm pretty sure everybody from the Kingdom of Wind poster are guys. unless my suspicion that they are all girls pretending to be guys are correct...then they're dudes.

As for female pilots. I always wanted to see more of that in Macross. I kind of wanted to see this girl from Macross 30 in Delta, but I guess it's not happening.

Macross-30_PS3_12-05.jpg

I mean, look at those..those..PLOTS man! :wub:

VF-31 Siegfried & Roy :lol:

Well, Siegfried did battle and slay the Dragon Fafner with the mighty sword Nothung in the opera, eventually gaining the power and wisdom to save Brunhilde, the Valkyrie.

Seems like Kawamori's been on a Wagner kick lately.

The idol characters in AKB0048 piloted mecha and beat people up while singing and looking cute (although the mecha aspect wasn't nearly as prominent as I would have liked). That was absolutely a moe-stereotyped show. I don't think these things are as discordant as you suggest.

Well, Siegfried did battle and slay the Dragon Fafner with the mighty sword Nothung in the opera, eventually gaining the power and wisdom to save Brunhilde, the Valkyrie.

Seems like Kawamori's been on a Wagner kick lately.

I wonder if they would be so bold as to have some "Ride of the Valkyries" samples in the score, like the way James Horner sampled Aram Khachaturian's Gayane ballet suite for Aliens.

The idol characters in AKB0048 piloted mecha and beat people up while singing and looking cute (although the mecha aspect wasn't nearly as prominent as I would have liked). That was absolutely a moe-stereotyped show. I don't think these things are as discordant as you suggest.

Yeah, but wasn't that AKB0048 anime quite a huge flop on everything, including video sales and merchandizing?

No... if you're referring to the red-haired person standing up in that Kingdom of Wind poster... pretty sure that's a dude.

I'm pretty sure everybody from the Kingdom of Wind poster are guys. unless my suspicion that they are all girls pretending to be guys are correct...then they're dudes.

Lol yea I looked again and you guys are right. I should have assumed it was a guy though.

Ah well, there's still that Zolan (or w/e) girl

Judging solely by the pilot uniform shown in that cockpit closeup, I'm pretty sure that red-haired Zentraedi looking character is going to be a pilot in one of the VF-31s. Doesn't look like the same character or colors, but the shoulder pads look similar.

I did just have a hilarious thought though... What if these idol singer characters don't even actually exist? What if the entire premise of the show is that a bunch of vocaloid AIs like Sharon Apple wind up getting uploaded into a bunch of valks, and have to be taught to actually fight in combat?

Calling it now... the weapons pods are actually deployable mecha hairstyles. :lol:

Edited by Chronocidal

NO what if the var symdrome transform the girls into valks??

Wait, wait!

What if the whole premise of this Delta anime is that the valks themselves transforms into girls?!

:o

Interesting. Kinda like Arpeggio of blue steel mixed w/ AKB0048?

Edited by wmkjr

Bridge bunny, I think I saw your icon's mech in the first Frontier movie after a clash onboard the Frontier with a Vajra.

Does it have a name?

Wouldn't be a destroid, right?

Yeah it's the Cheyenne work destroid one of my favorite unappreciated mech. Btw, Bridge bunny is one of the rank (title) according to the amount of posts you have. Everyone's names are in the blue/grey area. Like your rank is Cannon Fodder but your name is Mazinger. Just thought I'd point it out because it gets confusing trying to figure out who people are replying to with peeps of the same ranks.

Edited by wmkjr

Yeah, but wasn't that AKB0048 anime quite a huge flop on everything, including video sales and merchandizing?

As a general rule, "flops" don't get second seasons like AKB0048 did. I never looked into this until you asked, but sales number for the two seasons here and here suggest the show was an also-ran at worst (its first season sales were roughly comparable to Aquarion Evol, for example).

I'll admit they (mostly) omit the singing, but Strike Witches, Girls und Panzer, and Kancolle are just a few notable successes among a horde of shows that have mixed cute girls and war machine action in the past decade. Heck, just look at the top-selling hobby kit in Japan this week for an indication of how popular the formula is.

I'm not saying that anyone here has to like it, but the idea that turning moe girls into variable fighter pilots would ruin their appeal to Japanese buyers is out of sync with a significant trend in anime shows. And before Tochiro has to jump back in, I know that Delta isn't doing that.

Not sure. The thread is going so fast, I think we're talking about girls who transform into Valkyries into idol singers with deployable hair guns, and then I saw a pink haired girl with lovely rounded plot devices and now we're talking about ships that turn into girls into Knights of Wind, who are dudes.

Yeah. That's it.

Edited by Sildani