Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Thanks for that.

I would like to make a suggestion : Have one pinned thread dedicated to Macross Delta info only and keep it locked, only allowing staff members to post new info as it becomes available. Make another pinned thread for discussion of the new series.

What was told of the Macross Galaxy, the leaders, the cyborgs and all that was almost completely absent from the Macross Frontier series itself. I know I didn't make much sense of it all until the Macross Chronicle began documenting everything.

What kind of further exposition was there in the Chronicle? Moreover, was it in regard to the series or movie?

In hindsight, though, I really want to give them the benefit of the doubt; that they more or less decided the series would be the DYRL equivalent early on. Its Macross, so canon going forward comes down to whatever mix and match Kawamori feels like going with, but the the hand waving was pretty much blatant with Galaxy, the Vajra, and elsewhere in favor of sticking the homages and selling the harem.

stray

Mostly all the writing around the Galactic Parallel Thought Network Plan. The anime itself seemed to eschew any development of these story elements for "infer from how the plot plays out". It's just not present in any significant way in the series to lend dramatic gravitas to either Grace or the Macross Galaxy. Watching the series I felt far more confused than tense, unable to generate a sense of dread because the palyers, the reasons and the motives behind all these machinations seemed so ill-defined. I never understood Grace at all until reading the Chronicle trivia.

Can they bring Ichiro Itano back into the fold?

I think we can all agree that most of Frontier's dogfights lacked that UMPH which Plus (and even Zero) had. They sorta made up for it with the movie choreography though.

Well said.

I kept waiting for more development from the Galaxy end of things, hoping confusion could be replaced by more clarity and detail. It most certainly would've helped my appreciation for the Frontier series.

I'm not trying to diss the Vajra element, just wishing we'd been able to see the rest of the story that was going on.

stray

Mostly all the writing around the Galactic Parallel Thought Network Plan. The anime itself seemed to eschew any development of these story elements for "infer from how the plot plays out". It's just not present in any significant way in the series to lend dramatic gravitas to either Grace or the Macross Galaxy. Watching the series I felt far more confused than tense, unable to generate a sense of dread because the palyers, the reasons and the motives behind all these machinations seemed so ill-defined. I never understood Grace at all until reading the Chronicle trivia.

I don't disagree, but I do question whether some of that exposition was intended to serve as anything but a primer; the movies rolled back a lot of what was set up in the series, up to and including redeeming Grace. Although I'm on the verge of talking canon, which I suppose both are and neither are. But... how can an Isamu cameo not be canon?!

Not sure if you felt the motives as presented in the movies were any clearer. I will say that thematically I thought the movies did really well with providing exposition on the fold network, as well as contrasting the cerebral Galaxy with the emotional Vajra.

too many posts in this thread for me to scroll through but would "delta" hint towards another love triangle or the potential wing shape of the new Valkyrie which will feature in the new series!?

Hence my suggestion. To answer to your question, I assume the former. It would surprise me if it wasn't.

Edited by Kyp Durron

Hence my suggestion. To answer to your question, I assume the former. It would surprise me if it wasn't.

Although keep in mind that the reading of Macross Δ has yet to be confirmed.

No member of staff in the project has ever actually used the word or reading 'delta.'

Instead, they say 'New Macross' or 'New Macross production.' They have been consistent in this in both talk shows and across social media.

Now your talking😉

It's set in the 2060's right??

Why they still working the uptight approach to romanc?

Oh yeah.. The Japanese teenage viewing audience..😅

2067 yeah.

And notice how they made a big deal earlier in the year that the number of idol candidate finalists had been narrowed from 8000 to 15 (to the point that there was even an info graphic for the fact used in a slideshow) yet nothing has been said since?

Maybe we are looking at a 15member idol group/harem?

Pure conjecture at this stage but stranger things have certainly happened!

When has Macross not had a love triangle?

I'm just gonna throw this out there cuz you know we all want it.

Macross Harem

Yeah, you heard me. Why choose? ;)

I've been saying this for how long now?

too many posts in this thread for me to scroll through but would "delta" hint towards another love triangle or the potential wing shape of the new Valkyrie which will feature in the new series!?

Aren't love triangles kind of a Macross staple? I mean the only series I can think of that didn't really have one was 7, unless you count that thing with Gigil liking Sivil but Sivil and Basara being into each other... But that's not really a love triangle, more like a couple with an awkward third wheel...

Aren't love triangles kind of a Macross staple? I mean the only series I can think of that didn't really have one was 7, unless you count that thing with Gigil liking Sivil but Sivil and Basara being into each other... But that's not really a love triangle, more like a couple with an awkward third wheel...

'Kind of a staple'?

No, love triangles are far from kind of a staple - they are one of the three pillars of Macross - this has been reiterated by Kawamori many many times over the past 30+ years.

And Macross 7 actually had two love triangles - but these are the sorts of topics possibly better suited for the Newbie & Short Questions thread.

Edited by Tochiro

'Kind of a staple'?

No, love triangles are far from kind of a staple - they are one of the three pillars of Macross - this has been reiterated by Kawamori many many times over the past 30+ years.

And Macross 7 actually had two love triangles - but these are the sorts of topics possibly better suited for the Newbie & Short Questions thread.

By staple I meant the noun use of the word meaning basic, chief, or principle element. Meaning pretty much what you said. Love triangles being a principle element (staple) in Macross. Also can be used as an adjective. I know they're integral to the plot, and character development, I didn't mean to trivialize it. Even though I enjoy the Dogfights much more than the awkward [mostly]teen romantic drama...

By staple I meant the noun use of the word meaning basic, chief, or principle element. Meaning pretty much what you said. Love triangles being a principle element (staple) in Macross. Also can be used as an adjective. I know they're integral to the plot, and character development, I didn't mean to trivialize it. Even though I enjoy the Dogfights much more than the awkward [mostly]teen romantic drama...

You also said 'kinda.'

Whereas it is literally not possible to make Macross without a love triangle.

Not only would this result in something that wouldn't be 'Macross' in spirit, but Kawamori would literally not allow such a Macross to be made. Again, he has gone on record regarding this.

To say that Macross 'Kinda' has love triangles is akin to saying 'doesn't Star Wars have that weird magical energy thingy in it?'

Again though, if you want to discuss established design principles of Macross or whether or not you believe a certain entry in the franchise has a love triangle or not, the threat dedicated to the new series might not be the most suitable place (given that other users have already expressed concern over how meandering this thread is already).

Edited by Tochiro

You also said 'kinda.'

Whereas it is literally not possible to make Macross without a love triangle.

Not only would this result in something that wouldn't be 'Macross' in spirit, but Kawamori would literally not allow such a Macross to be made. Again, he has gone on record regarding this.

To say that Macross 'Kinda' has love triangles is akin to saying 'doesn't Star Wars have that weird magical energy thingy in it?'

Again though, this is a topic better suited to another thread.

You're right I did say that. My tone didn't really translate the way I had intended. I had intended it to sound sarcastically rhetorical as in to imply "of course they are dummy, it would be the same without..." I'll try to phrase my sarcastic comments better, so we don't have to repeat this exercise.

It hints that it will be a marriage of three unrelated series into a new brand. Macross Δ: Robotech

Pretty simple to work out, Plus, 7 and Frontier. We've already seen Isamu in the second Frontier movie so plenty of characters from 7 would still be alive at the time of Frontier.

Plus is OVAs though. Take a mishmash of SDFM, 7, and Frontier. (and here endeth what little joke there was - back to news)

If the next series doesn't feature Komillia in some regard, I will be very upset.

Well, okay, I'll be mildly disappointed, but I'll get over it. I'd just like some hint about what she's doing now.