Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Same here! More Zentran! More power suits! More bio-mechanical!

I hope they include the biochemical/organic version of the regult that was shown years ago... That was ace. Love the idea that the regults were inspired by these creatures - in universe.

I'd post a pic, but gotta trawl through the old hdd.

it has some gritty idol activities

Speaking of idols (gritty or otherwise) the performance bits in Aikatsu! are predominantly cel shaded 3D aren't they? AKB0048 had some 2D <-> 3D transitions that were really well done but a lot that were jarring; I wonder how much (if at all) Satelight is going to push towards full 3D for a new Macross. I know reception to CG characters can be mixed but its evolved pretty rapidly over a fairly short amount of time.

I really did like the updated/CG d Shudisuta b concert scenes but I will say the facial expressions threw me.

Speaking of idols (gritty or otherwise) the performance bits in Aikatsu! are predominantly cel shaded 3D aren't they?

you are correct.

I suppose it may depend on what talent they can round up and what animation they're skilled in. I wouldn't mind either, honestly.

I'm also on the no more bugs bandwagon. Make the enemies human, or humanoid, with transforming fighters of their own. I liked that dynamic in Zero, and the SV-51 is still one of my favorite valks. And find a way to put the Variable Glaug in there, increasing its relevance sufficiently enough to warrant a toy.

I'm not sure - as far as I can tell, it was pre-production art for Frontier - I gather that some of the Vajra could've looked like this, they mention in the OVA that the Zentran (or was it Protoculture?) fought and were inspired by the Vajra?

My memory is a little foggy on that.

Still, great concept. Kinda like how our modern planes somewhat resemble birds.

I'm not sure - as far as I can tell, it was pre-production art for Frontier - I gather that some of the Vajra could've looked like this, they mention in the OVA that the Zentran (or was it Protoculture?) fought and were inspired by the Vajra?

What was the name of that OVA? I really want to see it...

They mentioned it at the end of the series, that the Protoculture revered and basically deified the Vajra. So yeah, although they never come out and say it, I think, in-universe, the Glaug was inspired by the red Vajra and the Regult by the green Vajra.

They mentioned it at the end of the series, that the Protoculture revered and basically deified the Vajra. So yeah, although they never come out and say it, I think, in-universe, the Glaug was inspired by the red Vajra and the Regult by the green Vajra.

Tangential but aside from visual similarlity and both being fundamentally telempathetic is there necessarily a link between Vajra queen and bird human? Just wondering; there's a pretty wide gulf between 'inspired by' and 'bioengineered/genetically modified variant of' especially considering the reverence the Protoculture held towards the Vajra.

The Vajra were not bad for fleshing out some story influence, but I want more Zentran! Or anything humanoid for an enemy, something we can understand, preferably something 3 dimensional. I didn't mind the subversive plotting and shadowy stuff from frontier. I just don't want the villains to be of the saturday morning cartoon variety.

The supervision army and rouge zentran would be great things to explore for the new series. And for the Love of God give us more VF-19!!!!

Tangential but aside from visual similarlity and both being fundamentally telempathetic is there necessarily a link between Vajra queen and bird human? Just wondering; there's a pretty wide gulf between 'inspired by' and 'bioengineered/genetically modified variant of' especially considering the reverence the Protoculture held towards the Vajra.

Good question... I don't think the Bird Human looks or acts much like the Vajra Queen, though...

Good question... I don't think the Bird Human looks or acts much like the Vajra Queen, though...

Ah yeah... It... kinda doesn't, but I know that interpretation was fairly prevalent at least after the series.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new galaxy at this point...

The Vajra were not bad for fleshing out some story influence, but I want more Zentran! Or anything humanoid for an enemy, something we can understand, preferably something 3 dimensional. I didn't mind the subversive plotting and shadowy stuff from frontier. I just don't want the villains to be of the saturday morning cartoon variety.

The supervision army and rouge zentran would be great things to explore for the new series. And for the Love of God give us more VF-19!!!!

Yes more vf-19 !!

Although let's not hold our breadth 😕

The Vaj certainly weren't interesting enough to hold frontier together without the AI plottings..

The AFOS was a bio-engineered sentry vehicle, able to function autonomously or with a pilot. I would suspect it was near the pinnacle of PC tech before the EVIL series were developed. If humanity were to encounter PC remnants I would expect they would see similar looking mecha piloted by PC pilots.

I suspect it is also why the PD adapted mecha looked more like monsters rather than the human mecha they were derived from It was the appearance the PD were familiar with before they were imprisoned.

I would like to see the Macross Galaxy return with all the dramatic subterfuge first introduced in Frontier. The Galaxy story thread was a plot device to induce the Vajra to attack the Frontier fleet, the source of one of the co-stars and co-villans, but only the Battle Galaxy was destroyed, not the Emigration Ship or much of its fleet. Their destruction was implied and reported but never confirmed.

I feel there is still much more story to be revealed about that ship and those who orchestrated the events of Frontier. They do not seem to be the type to give up on their ambitions easily. It is doubtful Satellite will do a direct sequel of that story, but one can always hope.

Edited by Zinjo

Ahh... I thought these were really old, as in concept art for the original SDF-Macross series. That makes much more sense now.

I am grateful they didn't follow those designs. It would have reminded me of the Lucas Star Wars prequels...

The AFOS was a bio-engineered sentry vehicle, able to function autonomously or with a pilot. I would suspect it was near the pinnacle of PC tech before the EVIL series were developed. If humanity were to encounter PC remnants I would expect they would see similar looking mecha piloted by PC pilots.

I thought the implication was that the Bird Human (if less awesome than anything from M7) was pretty much the most recent thing we'd seen from the PC. I watched it pretty recently, and I definitely remember it being stated it had some kind of time manipulation abilities.

I dunno, I suppose its possible we'll see the PC but I got the impression Zero was their swansong or passing of the torch. If they are still around they've gone hyperdimensional.

I don't think the movies left any doubt as to Galaxy's fate, though.

I watched it pretty recently, and I definitely remember it being stated it had some kind of time manipulation abilities.

I think what that ended up becoming was its ability to execute a space fold. Could have been a translation issue, as well.

I think what that ended up becoming was its ability to execute a space fold. Could have been a translation issue, as well.

Maybe... but Sara's visions were clearly prescient, which is inconsistent with the fold network as we've seen it since.

I would like to see the Macross Galaxy return with all the dramatic subterfuge first introduced in Frontier. The Galaxy story thread was a plot device to induce the Vajra to attack the Frontier fleet, the source of one of the co-stars and co-villans, but only the Battle Galaxy was destroyed, not the Emigration Ship or much of its fleet. Their destruction was implied and reported but never confirmed.

I feel there is still much more story to be revealed about that ship and those who orchestrated the events of Frontier. They do not seem to be the type to give up on their ambitions easily. It is doubtful Satellite will do a direct sequel of that story, but one can always hope.

I feel if they are going to do that - or feature any kind of plot that entails political/military subterfuge - it would have to be showcased far more in the episode scripts and demand a more significant portion of the story development. What was told of the Macross Galaxy, the leaders, the cyborgs and all that was almost completely absent from the Macross Frontier series itself. I know I didn't make much sense of it all until the Macross Chronicle began documenting everything. It has to be on-screen, not implied or inferred, especially if they want such a plot thread to have any dramatic weight. Otherwise, it feels like an underwritten annoyance to the viewer or at worst, a gaping plot hole.

Edited by Mr March