Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Plus you can draw pictures in the sky too ...yahoo.. B)) ...i miss that i dont give a toot attitude instead of growing up teen angst...

whoever is designing the characters for delta keep that in mind....regardless mecha design will still pull me in...

And yet... Plus is probably the most angst-y Macross to date...

Again, the new series is going to be on television. That means it's got a target audience of junior high and high school age kids,and the characters will reflect that.

plus had more twists to the storyline and also a solid drama angle to it. It felt like a nice stand alone storyline and macross was just part of the environment. Perhaps its hard to do in a tv setting..and since itu difficult for me to identify with high school hijinks....mecha and quality animation is the only reason am looking forward to delta.

Edit: not to say delta is set in a high school setting b4 any presumptions arise...

...Gosh i miss nice ova's ....

Edited by seti88

Yeah... Remember the last Macross OVA series...? it didn't sell very well.

Also, not to get too in-depth, but I find the notion that adults can't relate to stories about adolescents baffling. I mean, I used to be an adolescent. I remember it relatively clearly, so I can relate to stories about others going through adolescence. It sure is a hell of lot closer to my actual life than living on a spaceship and being a robot pilot is.

Yeah... Remember the last Macross OVA series...? it didn't sell very well.

Poor story + striking visuals = Poor market performance at best or failure at worst.

Hasn't Hollywood proven that countless times already? I firmly believe it is a universal truth!

M0 was all about showcasing Satellite's CG animation abilities and less about a compelling narrative. If the story matched the visuals it would have appealed to the target audience as well as adults.

Edited by Zinjo

Poor story + striking visuals = Poor market performance at best or failure at worst.

Hasn't Hollywood proven that countless times already? I firmly believe it is a universal truth!

M0 was all about showcasing Satellite's CG animation abilities and less about a compelling narrative. If the story matched the visuals it would have appealed to the target audience as well as adults.

The target audience for Zero WAS adults. The OVAs are for the established fan base, the TV shows are there primarily to build a newer fan base. Just like Gundam.

And I don't know that your universal truth is that universal... Unless you think Michael Bay makes finely crafted stories.

I have a theory.

What if the pointy thing in the new series logo is actually a stylized A?

I figure it's the ensignia of one of those "covert" Valkyrie squadrons that they keep claiming exist that we never see. Angel Team, or Alpha Team, something like that. For narrative interest, it's a disgraced team. A mission went wrong, someone had to take the blame, and they were railroaded by the higher-ups, sent to prison for a crime they didn't commit.

The first episode, we see them breaking out of a military prison, stealing some Valks, and escaping.

The rest of the series has them folding from colony to colony, one step ahead of the authorities, working to clear their name while doing random acts of goodness as mercenaries to make ends meet.

Macross A-Team: Coming soon to a television near you.

Not much unfortunately. If it's called 'Macross', HG will want a slice of the pie if it's released outside Japan. And it's not that large of a pie to make sense for a really big player to descend and remedy the situation.

I suppose that when the new Macross comes out, execs from Crunchyroll and Funimation could make a couple of calls to see how much it would cost them to stream it and see if it adds up for them. My guess is it won't.

Since it's nearly impossible for Tatsunoko to have secured streaming rights (withoit a time machine), I have a good feeling that the new show could pop up on crunchyroll.

Since it's nearly impossible for Tatsunoko to have secured streaming rights (withoit a time machine), I have a good feeling that the new show could pop up on crunchyroll.

HG still has the Macross trademark.

And whether they have a legal leg to stand on or not, the threat of them filing a lawsuit is well-known and makes the odds of someone licensing any Macross until such time as HG is put down like a rabid dog very unlikely.

I have a theory.

I figure it's the ensignia of one of those "covert" Valkyrie squadrons that they keep claiming exist that we never see. Angel Team, or Alpha Team, something like that. For narrative interest, it's a disgraced team. A mission went wrong, someone had to take the blame, and they were railroaded by the higher-ups, sent to prison for a crime they didn't commit.

The first episode, we see them breaking out of a military prison, stealing some Valks, and escaping.

The rest of the series has them folding from colony to colony, one step ahead of the authorities, working to clear their name while doing random acts of goodness as mercenaries to make ends meet.

haha the theme song was already playing in my head halfway reading this...would be interesting ...perhaps an anti-hero hero story ...

A little part of me hopes we see a new fighter that steals some love from the 35. Even though VTOL is not necessarily a needed thing in Macross ( gerwalk does it just fine) It would be interesting to see if we ever saw a VF that had the ability to VTOL in fighter mode. The incorporation of that function, while still holding the ability to transform in 3 modes, seems just like the challenge the master himself might try.
but really any new fighter is probably gonna be a work of art. Topping the YF-30 is still outside of my ability to imagine.

Like JB0 said, it's all about HG having the international rights on the Macross name.

Granted, if someone got creative about trying to stream it and called it something else for the international market, there could be a loophole there that could be exploited.

Or you can just have a Macross series not called Macross in the title. Now not too sure about the nuance of the licencing contract HG has but it's a loophole. It only need to exist in the same universe.

And Skullmilitia, nothing should steal anything from the F-35. The latest test has made it clear that it can't dogfight against a F16 with two wing fuel tanks loaded and the 35 is flying clean and empty. The F-35 is a basket case.

Edit: Link to the article about the F-16 v F-35 test Though some are questioning the details of the report.

Edited by Strumvogel

I have a theory.

haha the theme song was already playing in my head halfway reading this...would be interesting ...perhaps an anti-hero hero story ...

I had a different take on it.

"We are team A" lyrics from an AKB48 song is ringing through my ears

Note: There was an awesome April fools day thread about Macross/AKB0048 and this just fits right in with it

Yeah, people REALLY need to stop referencing that Kotaku article. Seriously.

Also, as a creator, why would someone want to change the name of their creation just due to some money grubbing company overseas in a market that doesnt monetize even a fraction as well as their home market does?

Yes, Kawamori was VERY involved in AKB0048. It, along with Symphogear (also done by Sayelight) are almost like the long lost cousins of Macross.

Also....all will be announced in due time ;-)

Sorry I thought the article was in the ball park :(

On a side note has anyone seen how many companies world wide there are who have the name Harmony Gold? Most seem to be involved in gold mining or purification.

Edited by big F

Or you can just have a Macross series not called Macross in the title. Now not too sure about the nuance of the licencing contract HG has but it's a loophole. It only need to exist in the same universe.

And Skullmilitia, nothing should steal anything from the F-35. The latest test has made it clear that it can't dogfight against a F16 with two wing fuel tanks loaded and the 35 is flying clean and empty. The F-35 is a basket case.

Edit: Link to the article about the F-16 v F-35 test Though some are questioning the details of the report.

Link just reverts back here for me

Edited by wmkjr

Yes, Kawamori was VERY involved in AKB0048. It, along with Symphogear (also done by Sayelight) are almost like the long lost cousins of Macross.

Also....all will be announced in due time ;-)

Basara as a Symphogear user... The gods themselves would know fear.

That article is actually pretty much entirely wrong.

Errr so what is right? I must admit I know only the surface details about the lawsuit but from the information, HG could be wrong but no one else wants to go through the mess of proving them wrong which is why the article uses the word 'defacto' right?

Errr so what is right? I must admit I know only the surface details about the lawsuit but from the information, HG could be wrong but no one else wants to go through the mess of proving them wrong which is why the article uses the word 'defacto' right?

The short version is that the court cases have been over for a decade. It's very clear who owns the rights to what. That's not the problem. The problem is that HG went and copyrighted the term MACROSS (among others) in all territories outside of Japan. This means that no one can release anything that uses the word without giving HG their pound of flesh.

The long answer is here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=36541

Let's get back on the topic of Delta though. Clarification and knowledge regarding the legal issues in question are terrific and to be encouraged, but this isn't the thread for that particular discussion.

Edited by Tochiro

BTW I'm a big fan of AKB0048, and through that I have come to love AKB48

You are not alone.

The best part was that my wife, who's never been more than lukewarm to any iteration of Macross (yet we stay together - go figure!) also loved AKB0048 and became a rabid fan of the group as a result.