Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Those who passed the first round of auditions (i.e., who got shortlisted) are starting to get notifications.

One such applicant is Yuki, who can be heard singing here:

http://joysound.com/ex/utasuki/movie/video/_mid_2035630841_index.htm

The next round of judging will be April 26.

It is not known at this time how many applicants mad the shortlist.

Given that there were over 8000 of them, its likely to be quite a few.

8000+? You sure this isn't Japan's Got Talent? I'm sure the shortlist is <10, but still.... 8000+ applicants :blink:

Those who passed the first round of auditions (i.e., who got shortlisted) are starting to get notifications.

One such applicant is Yuki, who can be heard singing here:

http://joysound.com/ex/utasuki/movie/video/_mid_2035630841_index.htm

Aw yeah! :3

BOMBA!

I second this emotion. Joyously...

Why won't he listen to Basara's song?

Hey, I know Basara is no Neil Fallon, Dave Mustaine, James Hetfield, Ozzy Osborne, Ronny James Dio, or any one of hundreds of awesome rock frontmen, but the vocals weren't bad, and the Instrumentation and melodies were pretty good, even if the lyrics were a bit poop...

Needs more grimdark.

Two questions:

To what do you refer, exactly?

and

WHY!?

Hahaha.

Grimdark is just a type of fiction where everything is terrible and hopeless. My personal favorite kind of fiction!

It was mostly just a joke.

But I would enjoy a more serious tone in some regards. DYRL definitely has some dark moments, as did the original show.

The only dark moment in Frontier was when

Mike died

but that was more bitter sweet. I think most of the older fans would like something more meaningful and less moe (I hope), but I know they want to appeal to kids to sell kits and toys.

A gothic Lolita punk singer would be cool, if it wasn't a rock band and kind of a techno pop kind of thing.

Edited by Gakken85

One thing I liked about all of the Macross series, save frontier (which I liked for other reasons), is that even though the Pilots were (typically) young, they were still professional soldiers. In frontier they were high school students by day, and fighter pilots after school. That bugged me. I'd like to see a return to that image. I'd like to see some darker and more serious moments, with some lighthearted comedy sprinkled in. I do not really want to see any moe, and would rather see naivete expressed through dialogue and behavior, rather than through a caricature of cuteness...

One thing for certain - it'd be the first Valkyrie with spinners! ;)

Edited by Sildani

Right, so when do we get to see a Macross story about a rags to riches rapper living in the slums of a colony ship?

and how after one little fight his mom got scared And said, "You're movin' with your aunty and uncle in Bel Air"

Primus1X -- It wasn't about rap, but Mac7 already did that. It was about a guy literally living in the slums that went on to save the colony, and the galaxy.

/M7 did it

Fire Bomber returns to do duet with the new protagonist in a similar manner to Aerosmith with Run-DMC or Anthrax with Public Enemy, imagine that.

One thing I liked about all of the Macross series, save frontier (which I liked for other reasons), is that even though the Pilots were (typically) young, they were still professional soldiers....(snip)

It's nice to want things but you are, more likely than not, setting yourself up for a world of disappointment.

.....wait... Did you just call Basara a professional solider?

....I think the guy would be offended. f^_^;)

Fire Bomber returns to do duet with the new protagonist in a similar manner to Aerosmith with Run-DMC or Anthrax with Public Enemy, imagine that.

...FB7 did that?

I think the next Macross songstress(es) that would lead in a Macross series would be somewhat like the ace of an idol or all-female-members group. From what I observed, the songstresses tend to be related with the current trend in Japan. Like Lynn Minmei was made during the Golden Age of idols in Japan. The Fire Bomber was made during the 90s where bands was the "in" thing then. These days, Japan has what they call "the Warring States era of Idols" (idol sengoku jidai), where idol groups or girl groups are everywhere. They may be in the mainstream market, underground groups (a lot of them are in Akihabara) or local idols (in a prefecture, district, city or town). That's why the morning Japanese drama 2 years ago, Amachan, was a big hit because it had that concept. Undeniably, AKB48 dominates the major charts whenever they release new material (as they just set a new record in Japan for having the most number of consecutive million sales of a single with their recent "Green Flash" single). Though I admit I can be wrong since I can't seem to pinpoint what was the trend when Sheryl+Ranka was made (I think anisong or moe was the "in" thing around 2008?).

Edited by Gamlin Kizaki

Highly plausible there I think, Macross has always followed trends to a point. Look at the fighters for one. In SDF the cockpits were very traditional to that era mostly dials levers and one large screen in the middle, with rear view mirrors.

Flip on to Plus and you got far more button based stuff and more emphasis on HUD with eye tracking, the VR/LCD/Holographic view in the pilots seat, this was something quite trendy in the very late 90's early noughtys, we played with set ups like that for a while were I worked then, although they were more vr and augmented reality as holographic were just not anywhere near good enough. Think drones too, they were just becoming usable then. A.I drones in Macross were the next step, just starting to be realised in the real world now.

On to the Frontier era and we get touch LCD and virtualized buttons, and siri for your voice commands, as these are the current for planes (not siri) and all over consumer electronics. Who doesn't love saying "Xbox on" when you see one sat under your friends TV. It winds my friend up a treat :)

I think as its so close to Frontier tech wise we may get something that points at a Facebook type thing or positional target based info app shown for at least one of the characters, as these are current trends. As real world plane tech has not moved that much in the gap between the shows.

Those are my very broad opinions so the more uber fans can probably find more.

Edited by big F

In other Delta (?) news, this could be something, could be nothing...

I just came back from a Mecha Designers Summit talk event between Kunio Okawara, Shoji Kawamori and Ryusuke Hikawa (google 'em if you don't know, this isn't the newbie thread ;) ). Okawara mentioned that Kawamori had come over to his studio to look at his wares, as it were. For those that don't know, Okawara has his own atelier where he makes things as he designs -- out of metal, wood, and recently 3D printed stuff.

Could we be looking at some collaboration with Okawara in Macross, for the first time ever? Personally, I believe it's some other thing that they're working on together, not Macross Delta (I still think we're in REALLY early days) but who knows. Speculate away!

Great info Renato. As you said maybe something maybe nothing. I think Okawara's designs lend themselves more to the esthetic of the Aquarion series, but you never know? Interesting times.

Gamlin Kizaki--

Have you heard of the anime AKB0048? It's an amazing post-Frontier Macross sequel directed by Kawamori, is set in space, has robots and missiles, and it's about the idol group AKB48 in the future.

Next! :p

Phew, glad I caught that.

Renato, somehow part of your original post got deleted by web gremlins, but I was able to restore it.

Hahaha, well played, Nekko-san!

Marzan -- Good point. There is also the fact that a new Aquarion show has been announced for 2015, since it's the franchise's 10th anniversary. Personally, I never saw a likeness between Aquarion and Okawara's stuff, but sure, who knows. More details no doubt coming next weekend at the AnimeJapan industry event, but in the meantime, I guesstimate that Delta ain't going nowhere fast. The whispers I heard about it being a 35th anniversary series are starting to have some credence... That's why I'm not among the folks panicking that we haven't heard more news about the Hi-Metal R toys over in the other thread. They'll roll them out when there's something to promote, but not right now, the timing would be off. There's nothing out there, nor will there be for a while yet.

Since all we can do is speculate, I will share what the hardcore Macross fans told me today at the event, though. Most of them think Delta is going to be a failure. And I can see why. Frontier was a surprise runaway phenomenal hit, and caught everyone off-guard. But not because it was Macross -- it was the characters of Sheryl and Ranka, and the female viewership/consumers that propelled it that way. We've talked quite a bit on this forum about how we should "expect more of the same" because Frontier was a winning formula, but at the end of the day, most people only care about Ranka and Sheryl and if they're not in the new show, it may just be an uphill struggle no matter what it's about.

I seem to recall Tochiro saying something similar in the last couple of Speakerpod-Casts, but today I really felt that the "Macross is doomed" vibe was rather tangible.

Then again, let's face it, hardcore Macross fans are weird. Both within Japan and outside. (Though for different reasons ;) )

Gamlin Kizaki--

Have you heard of the anime AKB0048? It's directed by Kawamori, is set in space, has robots and missiles, and it's about the idol group AKB48 in the future.

Next! :p

Oh! LOL I can't really say I'm a 48groups wota (as I'm undeniably a Hello!Project wota since 2003) so never watched that series haha (Pretty much concur with this guy regarding 48groups which is the first reply of this post). Thanks for the info that I might check that series out.

But yeah, I'm still more of a fan of Macross because it's more or of a space opera where even though it has a facade of a mecha action title (which I'm honestly not a mecha fan), Macross still very well balances each title with elements of what it means to be human - culture, music (which I'm a big fan) and that cute painful idiocy called love.

And besides, I'm just speculating LOL It was just an observation that there is that trend right? :p

Have you heard of the anime AKB0048? It's an amazing post-Frontier Macross sequel directed by Kawamori, is set in space, has robots and missiles, and it's about the idol group AKB48 in the future.

I'm sorry that I laughed so hard when I read this ROFLMAO Hahahahaha

Since all we can do is speculate, I will share what the hardcore Macross fans told me today at the event, though. Most of them think Delta is going to be a failure. And I can see why. Frontier was a surprise runaway phenomenal hit, and caught everyone off-guard. But not because it was Macross -- it was the characters of Sheryl and Ranka, and the female viewership/consumers that propelled it that way. We've talked quite a bit on this forum about how we should "expect more of the same" because Frontier was a winning formula, but at the end of the day, most people only care about Ranka and Sheryl and if they're not in the new show, it may just be an uphill struggle no matter what it's about.

I seem to recall Tochiro saying something similar in the last couple of Speakerpod-Casts, but today I really felt that the "Macross is doomed" vibe was rather tangible.

Then again, let's face it, hardcore Macross fans are weird. Both within Japan and outside. (Though for different reasons ;) )

I hope they still change that "winning formula" and go on with the current trend in Japan but then again, I think many are over-saturated with idol groups in Japan already so my speculation might not be a good idea either.

That's a surprising line of reasoning for those fans to take (to me, anyway). I can see how noting that the success of Frontier - particularly with female fans - was driven largely by Ranka and Sheryl would lead (and has led) fans on these boards to speculate that Delta will be "more of the same." But it sounds like the Japanese fans you spoke with are viewing it as more of a lightning strike that could not be intentionally repeated.

Personally, while I think Ranka and Sheryl are great characters, I see their appeal as carefully crafted with an eye on contemporary culture (the Akiba-girl vs Shibuya-girl rivalry that Veef and others have noted). I trust that Kawamori and - perhaps more importantly - his cohorts could pull a similar trick off again. I'm not saying it's a sure thing, but I at least give it decent odds. And as for Frontier fans taking to the new show, there is no better endorsement than that Frontier connection. If Frontier can be used to drawn young fans to M7, it can certainly be used to draw them to a show specifically built to their taste. At the very least, a new well-made Macross show has a better chance of grabbing a large audience than the dozens of shows with lesser (or no) heritage.

So, yeah, I find that Japanese fan perspective really strange. As a final note, I'll say that the success of any show isn't what makes or breaks the success of its sequel. The success of a show is what gets its sequel made, and well-funded. Frontier begat Delta, and maybe we can't ask for much more than that. Only Delta will decide if Macross is "doomed," and so far we have very little to speculate on there.