Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Macross 7 seemed to largely embraced the Meltran-style folding from DYRL? for most of the space folds seen in the series, particularly the Varauta vessels.

Meltran folds are probably more efficient. Don't need to switch as much super space with real space thus less energy from the system required for folding. Every one wants more efficient drives, especially military because it means more energy for their shiny new guns or the ability to fold with smaller craft that produce less energy. Still not as fun to watch though.

Having rewatched the trailer I feel the guys are military not a boy band. The formation flying and the Germanesque dress uniform and the 262 not having any distinguishing features amidst themselves. I think this may touch more on a theme like 7. The extreme personality of idols and the discouragement of personality in the military.

Was that a Stealth in the trailer? For some reason I thought it was a Northampton.

The ship we see in the Macross Delta trailer is shown from what I beleive is a top and rear angle. It has many of the specific details of the Stealth Space Cruiser from Macross Frontier including the grey/blue hull colors, the blue gemstone-like dome on the top rear and the FOUR distinct outboard sections. For the next update to the Macross Mecha Manual, I scanned in some new images for this craft. They are still kinda small and low quality, but they are the best images I can find and they should allow you to see more details of the ship that I've posted about. I'll attach the images here.

post-114-0-31318500-1447974939_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-26395800-1447974944_thumb.jpg

post-114-0-23744400-1447975184_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr March

The ship we see in the Macross Delta trailer is shown from what I beleive is a top and rear angle. It has many of the specific details of the Stealth Space Cruiser from Macross Frontier including the grey/blue hull colors, the blue gemstone-like dome on the top rear and the FOUR distinct outboard sections. For the next update to the Macross Mecha Manual, I scanned in some new images for this craft. They are still kinda small and low quality, but they are the best images I can find and they should allow you to see more details of the ship that I've posted about. I'll attach the images here.

That is very cool! Not sure how I missed that in Frontier. It looks a lot like the VF-25G with Super Parts, what with the blue and gray accents.

The space folding in the original SDF Macross was more elaborate than that, even if it was often animated somewhat differently from one scene to the next. There was always some attempt to show the "incursion" of super dimension space into our space, whether via a sphere of energy around the ship or a bright white "glow" that surrounded the vessel(s) and the surrounding space (often used for Zentradi defolding). They also tried to show the "swap" effect, the idea that super dimension space appears around the vessel and then that SD space is replaced with normal space at the desired destination. Lastly, when depicting a scene inside a vessel that is folding the animatiors would use a "ghosting" effect, a visual cue to let the audience know that a space fold was taking place.

In Do You Remember Love?, the space fold of Britai's Nupetiet-Vergnitzs Class Fleet Command Battleship actually involved a lot of forward momentum followed by a illuminated "halo" effect once that craft disappeared from real space. The defold effect, both for Britai's ship and for the VT-1 Super Ostrich on Earth seemed to show the super dimension swapping of energy around the craft, just animated slightly differently (with more of an electrical effect). The Meltran Gunboat space fold did appear to be the simplest fold shown in the Macross franchise up to that point, a glowing disappearance of the craft almost without any kind of visible super dimension energy anywhere beyond the silhouette of the ship itself, with the exception of some "lightning-like discharging" briefly seen around the ship.

In Macross Plus computer generated effects were used to enhance this folding effect with a vibrant multi-colored display, but still generated a type of incursion of super dimension energy, which appeared to snatch away the folding space craft. As I recall, Macross Plus was the first time to show an EXTERIOR shot of a spaceship while it was folding space, the visualization of which almost looked like a "bubble bath" environment of exotic energy waves. Super dimension space almost looked "filled" with energy waves, energy shapes and energy objects, a medium that had to be "pushed" or "maneuvered" through, causing the space folding craft to be jostled about by turbulence as it travelled, rather than flying unerringly in a straight line through a vast, open and empty corridor.

Macross 7 seemed to largely embraced the Meltran-style folding from DYRL? for most of the space folds seen in the series, particularly the Varauta vessels.

We'll have to wait to see what they do in Macross Delta, if they include space folding in Macross Delta in any significant way. They may just follow suit with what was done in Macross Frontier, or a variation thereof. If the action of the Macross Delta story is more localized, there may not be a plot opportunity to include space folding. I hope that's not the case, but it could be a possibility.

In layman's terms,space folding is essentially generating a wormhole in space time between two points creating a fold in space time to shorten the distance. So the current effect suits me better than the original. The idea that to get from point a to point b requires some conventional thrust to make the transition between the two points possible.

The SD space effect seems more like conventional hyper space effects common to SF movies. Perhaps there would be some time spent in SD space but one has to come up with parameters so there can be story and universal continuity between productions.

What happened to more news on Delta? Shouldn't we know more by now? All I see is TECHIE TALK! :p

Don't fret. everything is shiny cap'n... This happened when Frontier was announced.

This speculative discussion will go into overdrive when the first episode is released in December... :p

Edited by Zinjo

Oh, I got news on Delta - and that news is that Save and I just scored tickets to an early fanclub screening of Delta on December 26!

:D

No a bad Xmas present for you guys.

Look forward to the spoiler free review!

Also I'm pretty new to Macross World. Where's a more appropriate thread for Tech/Phys talk?

Eventually, we will have dedicated threads for the parts of Delta, but that is when the show will start. For now use this thread. Until the show starts and publishing materials, there's no use for those threads because there isn't much to talk about.

Also I'm pretty new to Macross World. Where's a more appropriate thread for Tech/Phys talk?

Best to start with a forum search for any tech threads on the subject of Macross, i'm sure you'll find many for each series.

It looks like they are staying true to "commentary on trends in Japanese pop music". An idol group this time.

Wonder if they will let explicit yuri in this time. ( I mean "explicit" as in "clearly yuri" not as in "sexually explicit", of course).

Edited by Saruta

It looks like they are staying true to "commentary on trends in Japanese pop music". An idol group this time.

Wonder if they will let explicit yuri in this time. ( I mean "explicit" as in "clearly yuri" not as in "sexually explicit", of course).

I have no idea what you're talking about.

So correct me if I'm wrong but they are airing the first Mac-Del ep at the end of December yes?

I only check in from time to time so may have missed it but I don't think they are, or at least it has not been announced yet. I would have expected much more chatter about if it was announced.

They are airing a special program that will include a special presentation of the first episode on New Year's Eve. The NYE special will likely tell us the airdate of the show. This is similar to what they did with Frontier.

They are airing a special program that will include a special presentation of the first episode on New Year's Eve. The NYE special will likely tell us the airdate of the show. This is similar to what they did with Frontier.

Counting the days...