Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Know what Max and Milia are old enough to have grandkids heck they could have great grandkids by now. What if the blue haired MC is a Jenius? Either he is a descendant or... After all these years of trying Max and Milia finally got a boy! And like his sisters he promptly left the nest once he is old enough catching a transport to a far off colony.

They *did* do time dilation in the original series. Specifically, if you look at episode 11, Misa says that they've been folding for over an hour, which means that "ten days have passed on Earth". So Kakizaki exclaims that they missed Minmay's debut. It's a major plot point.

Later on, with MacPlus and 7, though, everybody can fold everywhere and anywhere with no temporal consequence.

They *did* do time dilation in the original series. Specifically, if you look at episode 11, Misa says that they've been folding for over an hour, which means that "ten days have passed on Earth". So Kakizaki exclaims that they missed Minmay's debut. It's a major plot point.

Later on, with MacPlus and 7, though, everybody can fold everywhere and anywhere with no temporal consequence.

Yea I was wondering why no one brought this up.

So is just another of those "Revised-Canon-Director's View-Things... Right?

Or the technology simply improved

The actual word, which has been available for years in English, is: "official setting".

Too technical <_<

Nah, you're right... maybe it's just like koko and the "varitech", some old habits are more resilent to dissapear than others... also my english sucks :lol:

Yea I was wondering why no one brought this up.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I did. :p

Though the fold space/real space time desync was almost certainly originally conceived as a different mechanism than relativistic time dilation(and in our brave new post-Frontier world, it's DEFINITELY completely unrelated).

Relativistic time dilation isn't really relevant to Macross because people just don't go that fast in their universe. You have to have a ludicrously high velocity before the differences become notable. There's simply no reason to build up that much steam when you have access to faster-than-light travel.

Edited by JB0

so Delta is the Girls vs the Girly men. OK STARTO!

I'll give it the benifit of the doubt and watch it, even though the trailer didnt leave me entirely thrilled.

seeing the regults again was cool though so if there is any rogue Zents in it then they will probably be the best episodes.

Actually, didn't they have Fold Lags during Macross Frontier? And I remember Grace Showing Sheryl a video of the attempt to rescue Macross Galaxy and Grace Said "Almost Real Time". And they were surprised that the Vajra can actually bypass/avoid those lags?

so Delta is the Girls vs the Girly men. OK STARTO!

I'll give it the benifit of the doubt and watch it, even though the trailer didnt leave me entirely thrilled.

seeing the regults again was cool though so if there is any rogue Zents in it then they will probably be the best episodes.

Wait so, it's those idol girls who are actually piloting the VF-31 valkyries?

Sci-fi anime has to have bishounen.

Live free or Reinhard.

I'd love to have a crossover between LOGH and Macross 7. Basically Basara shows up while Reinhard is conquering some random planet and drives him mad with a non stop balls to the wall rendition of Planet Dance.

I'd love to have a crossover between LOGH and Macross 7. Basically Basara shows up while Reinhard is conquering some random planet and drives him mad with a non stop balls to the wall rendition of Planet Dance.

You realize we'd have to watch that too, right?

Why punish the fans? :p

Edited by Zinjo

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I did. :p

Haha my bad

Actually, didn't they have Fold Lags during Macross Frontier? And I remember Grace Showing Sheryl a video of the attempt to rescue Macross Galaxy and Grace Said "Almost Real Time". And they were surprised that the Vajra can actually bypass/avoid those lags?

Yes, good point

I was reading a post here, where someone was speculating about the new voice actress singing Ai Oboetimasuka?. While there maybe a resurgence of that song coming back in this series, the one thing to remember is that it was mentioned that she is in "training" more or less. Be that for singing, voice acting, or both, Before many bands go into studio sessions to record, if they're new to the layout of a studio, the way their voice plays back, etc., many professional places like this will often have the performer warm up, and practice something they are familiar with as warm up. With singing, the inflection of words in a song can mean just as much as the words themselves. So, for what it's worth, this could be just a coaching tool being recorded, or a warm up. Also of note, while it is very early, I doubt they'd have her singing one of the songs on a preview before the song is even out. That's one of those things that just doesn't happen. Every day that I've been in a studio, there's always been a warm up, quick run through rehearsal of the song about to be put on a track, and so forth. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on her singing that song. could be in the show, but if not, I wouldn't be surprised.

So what is this? Code Geass x AKB48 x Macross 7?

I agree with aaajin at this point.

Frontier was a hard pill to swallow, but it eventually grew on me.. Now it looks like we are regressing back to Mac 7... joy

Valk on valk action in cgi will act like a balm... ;)

Eh... not the soundest science there but I think it's fair to say that in the future they may figure out ways to stall aging a bit.

Fun fact. Time travel ( only forward though) is already a theoretical possibility. Massive gravity wells (such as a black hole) slows down time relative to those outside it. So we now just need to figure out a way to escape a black hole. (Also means when you get sucked into a black hole it may seem like an instant to you but countless years would have passed by in the rest of the universe)

Fun fact. Time travel ( only forward though) is already a theoretical possibility. Massive gravity wells (such as a black hole) slows down time relative to those outside it. So we now just need to figure out a way to escape a black hole. (Also means when you get sucked into a black hole it may seem like an instant to you but countless years would have passed by in the rest of the universe)

Any sufficiently high velocity will do it, actually. Black holes are just a really good place to get a really high velocity(provided you don't care about minor details like surviving the experience).

Speed on the freeway, you'll live longer. Maybe five seconds total, but longer is longer!

Relativistic travel could theoretically allow us to travel across more than half the known universe in under a human liftetime. But the problem is that eons would pass for everyone else left on Earth (or whatever other stations or satellites we happen to be inhabiting at the time). Likely by time a relativistic traveller got even 1% of the way across the universe, humanity will have long since discovered a way to travel across the vastness of interstellar space that is far easier and effectively "faster" :)

I always thought the way fold travel was originally conceived in Macross (swapping super dimension space with three-dimensional space (real space) was a rather innovative spin in the annals of science fiction concepts for Faster Than Light or "effective" FTL methods of travel. However I can't help but be a little disappointed that the concept of folding space in Macross has been visualized far more "conventionally" (at least by sci-fi standards) as the franchise has moved on. The computer generated effects have improved the visual presentation of space folding, particularly in Macross Plus and Macross Frontier. But the process has become more linear and familiar at the same time, the "spacecraft flying through a glowing tunnel" kind of thing that now every sci-fi franchise seems to have universally adopted. As much as I didn't really care much for the new movie Interstellar, I must admit travelling through the wormhole in that film was probably the most innovative FTL effects sequence I've seen in sci-fi for many, many years. At least from a visual point of view, every sci-fi franchise used to have at least an interesting, unique way of presenting FTL, including Star Wars and Star Trek. I feel like Macross kinda lost some of the FTL uniqueness over time and despite the action looking prettier thanks to CG animation and particle effects, the practical process has become a bit banal.

I get the feeling that Macross Delta might not have that much to do with fold travel given the setting of the story. Maybe more will come of the setting and locations as more news about the series is released (or maybe we'll just have to wait and see the series itself to know). But so far the scope of the action leads me to believe fold travel won't be a major part of the plot. Here's hoping I'm mistaken.

Edited by Mr March

Who's to say what a superdimensional space fold would look like. In the original SDFM the ships just disappeared and reappeared in a different location. As for what the pilot or crew would experience, it's never really been touched on.

I envisioned it more like how BattleTech novels describe the Jump. Like Winking out of existence, and being bombarded by colors and sounds that are familiar and altogether alien, and like watching the universe expand before your eyes, and it seeming like an eternity and seconds all at the same time. That's before the sensation of rapid deceleration as reality is slammed back into your mind, and the ride is just over as you wink back into existence at a different location. The whole experience fades away just as fast as it began.

The glowing tunnel of multicolored lights, might just be the best way the animators could think to show what the unreality of superdimension space looks like.

However I can't help but be a little disappointed that the concept of folding space in Macross has been visualized far more "conventionally" (at least by sci-fi standards) as the franchise has moved on.

I feel the sci-fi aspect of Macross in general has suffered as of late. Not trying to explore new aspects or ideas of science. Not complaining though. I've loved every Macross excpet 7. Which I didn't hate, just didn't love. Maybe the setting being a planet they'll explore terraforming?

The space folding in the original SDF Macross was more elaborate than that, even if it was often animated somewhat differently from one scene to the next. There was always some attempt to show the "incursion" of super dimension space into our space, whether via a sphere of energy around the ship or a bright white "glow" that surrounded the vessel(s) and the surrounding space (often used for Zentradi defolding). They also tried to show the "swap" effect, the idea that super dimension space appears around the vessel and then that SD space is replaced with normal space at the desired destination. Lastly, when depicting a scene inside a vessel that is folding the animatiors would use a "ghosting" effect, a visual cue to let the audience know that a space fold was taking place.

In Do You Remember Love?, the space fold of Britai's Nupetiet-Vergnitzs Class Fleet Command Battleship actually involved a lot of forward momentum followed by a illuminated "halo" effect once that craft disappeared from real space. The defold effect, both for Britai's ship and for the VT-1 Super Ostrich on Earth seemed to show the super dimension swapping of energy around the craft, just animated slightly differently (with more of an electrical effect). The Meltran Gunboat space fold did appear to be the simplest fold shown in the Macross franchise up to that point, a glowing disappearance of the craft almost without any kind of visible super dimension energy anywhere beyond the silhouette of the ship itself, with the exception of some "lightning-like discharging" briefly seen around the ship.

In Macross Plus computer generated effects were used to enhance this folding effect with a vibrant multi-colored display, but still generated a type of incursion of super dimension energy, which appeared to snatch away the folding space craft. As I recall, Macross Plus was the first time to show an EXTERIOR shot of a spaceship while it was folding space, the visualization of which almost looked like a "bubble bath" environment of exotic energy waves. Super dimension space almost looked "filled" with energy waves, energy shapes and energy objects, a medium that had to be "pushed" or "maneuvered" through, causing the space folding craft to be jostled about by turbulence as it travelled, rather than flying unerringly in a straight line through a vast, open and empty corridor.

Macross 7 seemed to largely embraced the Meltran-style folding from DYRL? for most of the space folds seen in the series, particularly the Varauta vessels.

We'll have to wait to see what they do in Macross Delta, if they include space folding in Macross Delta in any significant way. They may just follow suit with what was done in Macross Frontier, or a variation thereof. If the action of the Macross Delta story is more localized, there may not be a plot opportunity to include space folding. I hope that's not the case, but it could be a possibility.

Edited by Mr March

The space folding in the original SDF Macross was more elaborate than that, even if it was often animated somewhat differently from one scene to the next. There was always some attempt to show the "incursion" of super dimension space into our space, whether via a sphere of energy around the ship or a bright white "glow" that surrounded the vessel(s) and the surrounding space (often used for Zentradi defolding). They also tried to show the "swap" effect, the idea that super dimension space appears around the vessel and then that SD space is replaced with normal space at the desired destination. Lastly, when depicting a scene inside a vessel that is folding the animatiors would use a "ghosting" effect, a visual cue to let the audience know that a space fold was taking place.

In Do You Remember Love?, the space fold of Britai's Nupetiet-Vergnitzs Class Fleet Command Battleship actually involved a lot of forward momentum followed by a illuminated "halo" effect once that craft disappeared from real space. The defold effect, both for Britai's ship and for the VT-1 Super Ostrich on Earth seemed to show the super dimension swapping of energy around the craft, just animated slightly differently (with more of an electrical effect). The Meltran Gunboat space fold did appear to be the simplest fold shown in the Macross franchise up to that point, a glowing disappearance of the craft almost without any kind of visible super dimension energy anywhere beyond the silhouette of the ship itself, with the exception of some "lightning-like discharging" briefly seen around the ship.

In Macross Plus computer generated effects were used to enhance this folding effect with a vibrant multi-colored display, but still generated a type of incursion of super dimension energy, which appeared to snatch away the folding space craft. As I recall, Macross Plus was the first time to show an EXTERIOR shot of a spaceship while it was folding space, the visualization of which almost looked like a "bubble bath" environment of exotic energy waves. Super dimension space almost looked "filled" with energy waves, energy shapes and energy objects, a medium that had to be "pushed" or "maneuvered" through, causing the space folding craft to be jostled about by turbulence as it travelled, rather than flying unerringly in a straight line through a vast, open and empty corridor.

Macross 7 seemed to largely embraced the Meltran-style folding from DYRL? for most of the space folds seen in the series, particularly the Varauta vessels.

We'll have to wait to see what they do in Macross Delta, if they include space folding in Macross Delta in any significant way. They may just follow suit with what was done in Macross Frontier, or a variation thereof. If the action of the Macross Delta story is more localized, there may not be a plot opportunity to include space folding. I hope that's not the case, but it could be a possibility.

I see what you're saying. The point I was kind of getting at was that what we see on screen and what the characters might perceive is different. All I really know is what I've seen in the animation, which I have to admit, I haven't seen in a while (I like to rewatch stuff every now and then). I've been watching some other stuff recently, getting my girlfriend to watch some of the sci-fi I grew up with (ST:DS9 and Stargate SG-1, neither of which are difficult, she's a huge sci-fi nerd).

I see what you're saying. The point I was kind of getting at was that what we see on screen and what the characters might perceive is different. All I really know is what I've seen in the animation, which I have to admit, I haven't seen in a while (I like to rewatch stuff every now and then). I've been watching some other stuff recently, getting my girlfriend to watch some of the sci-fi I grew up with (ST:DS9 and Stargate SG-1, neither of which are difficult, she's a huge sci-fi nerd).

Yeah no worries. I was more thinking out loud :)

Actually, fixating more on various parts of the Macross Delta trailer made me think not just about fold effects in the new show, but also space craft. We do see what I am convinced is the "Stealth Space Cruiser" from Macross Frontier. It's from a different angle than we've seen before, but I'm almost certain it's the same design. We have typically seen at least two-three new large ship designs for the UNS/NUNS in each Macross production (often more than 2-3), so I wonder if we'll see a new design in Macross Delta as well.