Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Mr March

Wings on the arms? Well, at the risk of sounding like an awesome but definitely broken record,

SEVEN DID IT!!

(By the way, this image is from your very own site)

Makes me wonder why Kawamori didn't retire after 7 since it clearly has done everything, perhaps even split the atom.... :rolleyes:

Probably because there is much, much more to the genius of Kawamori than Macross? I never said M7 did everything. It just so happens that it did pretty much everything Macross fans on this site want out of the IP... :p

Probably because there is much, much more to the genius of Kawamori than Macross? I never said M7 did everything. It just so happens that it did pretty much everything Macross fans on this site want out of the IP... :p

True, Shanghai Dragon in the Genius Party anthology was pretty great.

Edited by Zinjo

Again, all four days of Anime Expo, I was working with people who are involved with making the show at the Satelight booth (and again, I have to thank Save profusely for hooking me up with them), and no one said anything about it except "We're working on it now."

It did? 7 did pretty much the opposite of everything I wanted.

It did? 7 did pretty much the opposite of everything I wanted.

- More Max and Milia

- Lots of new Valks (only a few of them had faces, most of them didn't).

- kickass music

- more of the history of the Protoculture, and (finally!) a look at the Supervision Army

- a hero who isn't a "whiny, emo teen"

- lots of callbacks and shout-outs to the original series

- the scriptwriter for such classic episodes as Transformation, Daedalus Attack, Burst Point, and Goodbye Girl, as well as DYRL as Macross 7's story editor.

- More Max and Milia

- kickass music

- more of the history of the Protoculture, and (finally!) a look at the Supervision Army

- the scriptwriter for such classic episodes as Transformation, Daedalus Attack, Burst Point, and Goodbye Girl, as well as DYRL as Macross 7's story editor.

I agree with this list. Macross has had a lot of strong characters though, so, while Hikaru started off a bit whiny, he got better. That's one of the best things about Macross is the characters really grow. And especially when you compare cross franchise, Macross characters are a hell of a lot better than some of the other Mecha franchises.

Thank you! Although it's not really an agree or disagree thing, it's simply a FACT that Macross 7 had all these things...

A fact, that despite it's truth value, is much disputed. While compared to other Macross Characters, I thought Basara was annoying, and that the real stars of M7 were Mylene and Gamlin... And regardless of all the things M7 did right (which In my opinion is more than it did wrong), M7 is still much maligned as being awful. I of course disagree. I actually like the music in M7 more than the music in SDFM, more because of the fact it's musically more interesting to me (regardless of lyrical content, I really like the rock band instrument arrangement, drums, bass, and guitar, though I'd have preferred Ray as rhythm guitar instead of keytar, but that was the group dynamic so I'll not complain).

I think it's important to judge based on the individual series contribution to the franchise, rather than the small niggling details. For instance there are things I didn't care for in MF, like the Mecha. I really liked the VF-171 over the VF-25 & VF-27, just because it was a cleaner transformation that I had come to expect from Macross. The VF-25/27 left bits that seemed, "untransformed" to me. Also the main adversary being space bugs was kind of offputting, but then it expanded into something more sinister and human, with the Vajra just kind of becoming a tool for the real villains, so it evened out for me. As for the Mecha, I came to like the VF-25, though I still prefer the VF-171.

I just hope we can see a bit more of a return to the cleaner transformations of the past, in the new series. I just want some VF's that look good as fighters and as robots, the VF-25's wing kibble just looks too bulky for a robot that lean looking (though the super parts made it a bit less noticeable). I also would like to see something different, and I know I've said it before, but a single engine cannon fodder VF would be really cool.

I just hope we can see a bit more of a return to the cleaner transformations of the past, in the new series. I just want some VF's that look good as fighters and as robots, the VF-25's wing kibble just looks too bulky for a robot that lean looking (though the super parts made it a bit less noticeable). I also would like to see something different, and I know I've said it before, but a single engine cannon fodder VF would be really cool.

That's just (mostly, anyway) a by-product of switching from hand-drawn animation, where they can play with bulk and proportions, to CGI models, which really do (again, mostly) require a real "perfect transformation." So yeah... We won't be getting any VF-1 style Valks with legs that are thin in fighter mode but chunky in battroid. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing.

That's just (mostly, anyway) a by-product of switching from hand-drawn animation, where they can play with bulk and proportions, to CGI models, which really do (again, mostly) require a real "perfect transformation." So yeah... We won't be getting any VF-1 style Valks with legs that are thin in fighter mode but chunky in battroid. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing.

I don't either, but a design that stows the wings a bit more cleanly would be nice. A bit of mechanical finagling might have produced a cleaner transformation. That's just a purely aesthetic thing for me, as I still like the VF-25, and the CGI models give us a better sense of how it would actually work, and make them a bit more organic (thus allowing the suspension of disbelief to be easier). I actually prefer the thinner proportions of the newer valks, reducing the "John Travolta Feet" (the term my dad gave to the leg designs on Japanese mecha, and the first thing he noticed, always did it to get at me, since he thought they were reminiscent of bellbottom pants) problem.

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

I'm still hoping for a VF-191. :D

No matter what kind of CF Valkyrie we end up with I hope that the art style is different from Macross Frontier. As much as I like the Messiah I think a little bit more variety on my shelfs would be a good thing.

- More Max and Milia

- kickass music

You got the first two. The rest are all wrong.

I should have been more clear, by main variable fighter, I was actually referring to the "hero" mechs. :p The mass produced fighters will probably be VF-25's.

Ah, that makes more sense. Again, I wouldn't be unhappy with that. Though that big missile thingy kinda screams support unit to me... I dunno, maybe I'm just a sucker for the sleek birds of yore, in the days of "ye olde Macross".

You got the first two. The rest are all wrong.

No, they aren't.

The music is rock, and has a lot of searing guitar work.

The villains in Macross 7 are the creators of the Supervision Army, and there's a whole episode about how the Protoculture Stellar Republic was destroyed.

Basara is 21, and hot-blooded, not weak-willed and uncertain.

There's an entire episode about a TV about DYRL, Milia's VF-1J shows up, the Destroid Monster crew from SDFM is there, several songs from the original are sung, and many more.

And yes, the story editor for Macross 7 did indeed write many of the SDFM episodes and DYRL. His name is Sukehiro Tomita. You can look him up.

Edited by Gubaba

I don't think the yf-30 will be the main variable fighter for the new show. Typically new productions want to showcase new ideas and products. I doubt they'll use an already 2+ year old design (probably 4-5 years by the time it airs) as the main character's valk that first appeared in a video game. I can see it being more likely to be the CF valk over the VF-25. Kawamori already passed on using vf-19 as the CF for valk because it look's too "heroic". I imagine the same logic will be applied to the vf-25.

I'd prefer new designs myself with appearances of older designs throughout the show run. Besides that means more toys for Bandai to make :p. Which is a good thing or maybe a bad thing...

Edited by Sandman