Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Yeah, I'd agree with Gubaba to not expect Kanno back for yet another go at the franchise.

Having said that, given the huge potential music sales and expectations - why would they not 'do right' by the music in delta?

Let's wait and see. Less than two months until all is better revealed.

Didn't Kanno say at some point that she wasn't going to do anymore Macross after the Frontier movies?

The original Macross and DYRL didn't have Kanno doing the music, either and look how good the music for them is! Granted, she probably wasn't even working in the industry back then, but her music isn't essential for Macross' music to be good. Even without her doing it, I quite liked the music for Macross Zero!

I love Kanno and everything she's done for the franchise. Heck...I squealed like a little schoolgirl when she surprised the entire crowd at May'n/Megumi's AX 2010 concert.

But she deserves a LONG break..time to give the reigns to someone just as capable. How about...Kenji Kawai?

I looooove Yoko Kanno. And I'd be elated if she was doing the music for Delta. But if she doesn't, I'm sure that Kawamori found someone more than capable to do the soundtrack for this. He more than anyone is aware of the importance of great music for this series (for the record I really like Macross Zero's ost. Arkan is one of my favorite Macross songs).

For the record, I'd love someone like Yashushi Ishii to do a Macross soundtrack

What we know so far: (Teaser)

- Takes place in CE 2067 (8 years after the events of Frontier), on a planet on the edge of the galaxy. [(can this imply lack of NUNS / Earth influence??)]

- The unnamed planet shown seems to be divided in half, with a border set along the geography of the planet, dividing the city/land/continent in half. [( did the colonisers who came aboard that macross have differed along idealogical lines??)]

-Setting of the Macross ship is in a green lush vegetative geography.

- Floating Blue-Haired boy has a Fold Quartz crystal necklace.

- 2 veritech fighters (identified as the VF-31 siegfried and SV-262 Draken III) are dogfighting in the green,lush vegetative geography. [( SV was a designation used by the Anti- unification forces on the mecha they manufactured, could this be the idealogical fault line that seperated the colonisers geographically ??)]

- Tactical Sound Unit (VF-31 pilots) of whom only 2 were shown. (speculation : Blue Haired boy, and Zolan Crimson haired female)

- Uncultured / Pirate Zentradi attack / play a role in the story.

- Var syndrome "consuming" the galaxy [(is this related to the V-Type infection related to the Vajra from Macross Frontier?)]

- Legacy of the protoculture [( a new protoculture seeded race? kingdom of wind? or are the kingdom of wind the Anti-UN forces?)]

- Aerial Knights of the kingdom of the wind , setting in a harsh mountainous geography implying another area/land/continent or even planet. [( speculation: the kingdom of wind seems to be built along a monarchy / nobility ideaology, maybe they are Human supremicst that find other "races" inferior? be it zentradi / zolan / or zentradi-human intermarriage)]

- Kingdom of the wind seem to have a very Prussian fashion sense. (hair jewelary is it significant or just fashion? possible cybernetic implant like grace o connors)

-WALKURE singing support group (for the tactical sound unit VF-31 pilots, all 5 singers are shown in the officially released art, Crimson Haired Zolan female is not part of the Walkure)

- SV-262 squadron is shown attacking an orbiting space ship (speculation: this can support the multiple planet theory or that the Kingdom of wind is actually at a disadvantage against the other colonists since they have access to NUNS reinforcements from space)

-Freyja Wion is gazing at a "Planet" (can this be the legacy of the protoculture?)

Edited by Koko

- 2 veritech fighters (identified as the VF-31 siegfried and SV-262 Draken III) are dogfighting in the green,lush vegetative geography.

What the heck is a veritech? :p

Just kidding. :)

Edited by sharky

- 2 veritech Valkyrie fighters (identified as the VF-31 siegfried and SV-262 Draken III) are dogfighting in the green,lush vegetative geography.

Fixed that for you. ;)

So is the "tactical sound unit" the valk fighter group or does it refer to the Walküre singing girls?
I believe it's supposed to be both? Or that the Walkure girls actively work with the TSU?
Edited by VF-15 Banshee

Walküre...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_Walk%C3%BCre

Perhaps clues to delta storyline can be found in the german opera.....did kawamori travel or become a fan of german opera by any chance? (i thk we will know who are the kawamori stalkers, if so...just j/king.. :p)

The opera is based on a German myth, so I would suspect he became aware of the the mythology and researched it.

Maybe he saw Django Unchained and wanted to know more about the Seigfried myth :p

Edited by Zinjo

Again, the nice thing about Macross (as opposed to, say, Gundam or Star Wars) is that, however much you complain, a rising tide really does lift all boats. New SDF-1s, a huge VF-1... This is all because of Delta.

What I am hoping is that the Macross type battleship is not a "Quarter", but one of the SDFN battleships based on the Megalord design. The design the SDF-2 was going to be before it was converted into the Megaroad colony ship.

The Megalord battleship was to be 420m longer than the Macross and since some of the emigration fleets used Macross class battleships to ferry colonists to new worlds. The Megalord design could accommodate possibly double the number of civilians as the original Macross did and would be well suited to that effort.

If this story turns out to be a cold war between an indigenous population vs NUN colonists in the same star system, we could very well see a Macross battleship in the area. Keep in mind the Earth could also be considered a "frontier" world compared to the galactic core where I believe the PC Republic was concentrated. So this system may not be too far removed from Earth's region.

Edited by Zinjo

)]

- Legacy of the protoculture [( a new protoculture seeded race? kingdom of wind? or are the kingdom of wind the Anti-UN forces?)]

- Aerial Knights of the kingdom of the wind , setting in a harsh mountainous geography implying another area/land/continent or even planet. [( speculation: the kingdom of wind seems to be built along a monarchy / nobility ideaology, maybe they are Human supremicst that find other "races" inferior? be it zentradi / zolan / or zentradi-human intermarriage)]

- Kingdom of the wind seem to have a very Prussian fashion sense. (hair jewelary is it significant or just fashion? possible cybernetic implant like grace o connors)

I'm leaning this is another Protoculture seeded race that the UNG tried to uplift but went sour. The hair tails being an Orguss reference of a sort. Not the first time there was an Orguss reference in the franchise. Macross had the Orguss Valkyrie before the show even aired. Macross 7 had Patroids as Orguss mecha references and also the dinosaurs on Rax.

The UNG may have had this mentality to uplift fellow seeded races so they wont end up like Earth did. There is evidence Zentradi do raze planets like with the one Misa and company saw when they were on Bodol Zer's ship. At the same time spread their culture. There is also this mentality to unite the Children of the Protoculture as seen with Bilrer wanting a smaller galaxy with the Fold Quartz.

Grace's galaxy wide invasion would probably fuel anti-NUN sentiment in the Kingdom of Wind.

Apologies on my earlier written heresy :)

as for the kingdom being a protoculture seeded race, i believe that although that is a possibilty, it is an unlikely one. The planet in the teaser is shown beinging divided roughly in half. This implies that the settlers / colonisers that stepped out of the Macross disagreed on a certain (yet to be explained) point. But i speculate given the SV designation of their mecha that they may more likely be anti-UN decendants/sympathisers, rather than a new found "race". Also them being a "kingdom" and their pilots designated as "knights" implies both a monarchy and aristocracy. In medieval Europe kindgoms had very distinguished social classes Monarchy> nobility > knights and Priests (religious class which can translate to the singers in macross's case) > peasants. Now and as i said this is all logical speculation if you have a bunch Anti-UN aristocratic settlers (all else being equal) on what fault lines would they establish a social class system? My speculation is that they established it along facist racial lines. No zentradi no zolan and no half-breeds. I believe this paradigm may have a good setting to tell a powerful story.

As for the legacy of the protoculture i believe it is a yet to be revealed reason (artifact / ruins / planet) that will somehow challenge the idealogical principals of the "Kingdom" near the end of the series that will make the "bad guys" reform.

Speculation: we see 6 SV-262's, 4 pilots in darker uniforms and 1 in a lighter uniform, but all with gold trim.

The Drakens are 5 gold, 1 blue.

Lighter uniform = Roy/Ozma analog, pilots one of the gold Drakens

Blue Draken = Blue-haired boy's valkyrie

I predict the Blue-haired boy falls in with this group, and will have to make a choice between two sides, two interests (both ideological/political and romantic).

You raise an excellent point. The blue haired boy may indeed be conflicted about his loyalty/ ideology. But his "relationship" with the crimson haired zolan female seems to imply that he is more likely a vf-31 pilot (as she may be as well)

As for the blue-gold SV-262 it matches exactly to the blonde haired man's coat, which leads me to believe that hebisbthe captain / ace (d.d. ivanov) of the Sv-262 squadron. And the white-gold coated individual to be the mission-command* ofnthe operations??

But we are missing a piece of the puzzle from the "KINGDOMS" fan art. There is a missing pilot.

Apologies on my earlier written heresy :)

as for the kingdom being a protoculture seeded race, i believe that although that is a possibilty, it is an unlikely one. The planet in the teaser is shown beinging divided roughly in half. This implies that the settlers / colonisers that stepped out of the Macross disagreed on a certain (yet to be explained) point. But i speculate given the SV designation of their mecha that they may more likely be anti-UN decendants/sympathisers, rather than a new found "race". Also them being a "kingdom" and their pilots designated as "knights" implies both a monarchy and aristocracy. In medieval Europe kindgoms had very distinguished social classes Monarchy> nobility > knights and Priests (religious class which can translate to the singers in macross's case) > peasants. Now and as i said this is all logical speculation if you have a bunch Anti-UN aristocratic settlers (all else being equal) on what fault lines would they establish a social class system? My speculation is that they established it along facist racial lines. No zentradi no zolan and no half-breeds. I believe this paradigm may have a good setting to tell a powerful story.

As for the legacy of the protoculture i believe it is a yet to be revealed reason (artifact / ruins / planet) that will somehow challenge the idealogical principals of the "Kingdom" near the end of the series that will make the "bad guys" reform.

I'm not so sure that AUN is a generational thing, it would be a sad commentary on a community if it were. The sentiment often comes from specific greivances with the standing government, to the point where active rebellion is at hand. I still hold to the notion that this may be a regional conflict between an indigenous PC seeded race and a nearby NUN colony.

I believe the SV series is a nod to the AUN, but IMO it is more a designator for a product developed outside the NUN sphere of influence. A marketing tool to those outside the reach of the NUN that they can purchase equipment not designed and built by the Federal arm of the NUN. I again make the parallel between Russian and Western military tech in the real world.

Edited by Zinjo

Anti-UN sentiment CAN be generational, but even from a speculative point of view, there is some evidence from the teaser that the settlers split into 2 factions from the onset. as soon as they left the macross they formed into 2 factions:

post-30959-0-43359600-1446912995_thumb.jpg

how does the PC seeded theory apply to the above case?

- we see a border running along the geography from the Macross landing site and through some city itself.

then again....who builds a city next to his enemy and then builds a border through it???? it seems i disproved myself.

but also this only dissproves that the differences have arised from the get go, it does not disprove 2 human factions infighting.

also in the trailer at the end when the VF-31 transforms there are 2 glowing crystals in its chest area, and after looking at the pictures of the actual VF-31 model they are there as well , can those be Fold quartz crystals embedded into the design of the plane itself? that would be first i think (unless the EX upgrades in Macross frontier had fold quartz crystals in their design aswell)

Edited by Koko

Anti-UN sentiment CAN be generational, but even from a speculative point of view, there is some evidence from the teaser that the settlers split into 2 factions from the onset. as soon as they left the macross they formed into 2 factions:

attachicon.gifmd 1.jpg

how does the PC seeded theory apply to the above case?

- we see a border running along the geography from the Macross landing site and through some city itself.

then again....who builds a city next to his enemy and then builds a border through it???? it seems i disproved myself.

but also this only dissproves that the differences have arised from the get go, it does not disprove 2 human factions infighting.

You are making the assumption that Kingdoms and artistocracy are indigenous only to humanity. Such a society could evolve on a different world. It is a form of government.

The structure you are referring to could very well be an aqueduct or some sort of pipeline. Though to your initial point, if this series is some sort of allusion to a regional cold war, one could argue that in our history there was the splitting of Berlin by a wall. However, the structure does seem to be some sort of pipeline rather than a wall.

The trailer and the revealed information suggests the show will reference an inter-system or regional conflict

also in the trailer at the end when the VF-31 transforms there are 2 glowing crystals in its chest area, and after looking at the pictures of the actual VF-31 model they are there as well , can those be Fold quartz crystals embedded into the design of the plane itself? that would be first i think (unless the EX upgrades in Macross frontier had fold quartz crystals in their design aswell)

The crystals could be fold quartz, they could be some sort of sound emitting crystals that are utilized by the Tactical team, or be as mundane as cameras..

Edited by Zinjo

The YF-29 also had embedded fold quartz.

The structure you are referring to could very well be an aqueduct or some sort of pipeline. Though to your initial point, if this series is some sort of allusion to a regional cold war, one could argue that in our history there was the splitting of Berlin by a wall. However, the structure does seem to be some sort of pipeline rather than a wall.

Yea that looks more like a pipeline or aqueduct to me as well

Wow finally some info about this series.

Looks like anti un is back which means good looking bad guy planes. Perhaps the tech is different so the mechs have different fighting philosophies too? (sort of like how zentradi like close range combat more, so in this they have unique strengths that nun pilots don't have to make the ace pilots of the hero side seem more like the underdogs this time?)

Will we finally get destroids (similar to the konig monster) that transform? Everyone misses ground mechs.

We saw the octos in macross zero, so maybe these new guys have more surprise transforming mechas that are not valks?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Wow finally some info about this series.

Looks like anti un is back which means good looking bad guy planes. Perhaps the tech is different so the mechs have different fighting philosophies too? (sort of like how zentradi like close range combat more, so in this they have unique strengths that nun pilots don't have to make the ace pilots of the hero side seem more like the underdogs this time?)

Will we finally get destroids (similar to the konig monster) that transform? Everyone misses ground mechs.

We saw the octos in macross zero, so maybe these new guys have more surprise transforming mechas that are not valks?

I doubt it is the AUN Alliance as the whole point of of their existence was independence and sovereignty. Changing to the NUN already did that.

As for mechs we got upgraded Glaug and Regults as well as another Cheyenne variant like the Cheyenne II minus the missile pods.

Here is an idea on the Kingdom of Wind that came to my head. What if the KoW is the Japan expy?

First contact and subsequent interaction with Humanity broke out KoW of isolation. UNG did an uplift but not without social upheaval. The Monarchists won and started using copied Overtechnology to build an interstellar empire.

They see the Human led hegemony with the Zentradi and Zolans as a threat to their expansion. To them the NUN is a more immediate concern compared to the rarely seen Boddole fleet Zentradi or Supervision Army.