Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Nothing against your awesome gif-wizardry, yeti, but these things that Delta had shown just has:

Too much cg shenanigans.

Not enough real artistry.

Looks just like a modern flight game.

The character designs are mediocre, too.

No anime soul...

---

Maybe I'm just really appreciating even more now how Plus was created and produced all those years ago...

I can't comment on the character designs but the effects scenes aren't finished yet. Not even the stuff shown in this trailer apparently.

Plus wasn't even that good. It had fine music and animation but everything else was terribly shallow.

He was talking about the art direction and animation.

I have no inside info here or anything, but I kind of doubt that... After all, Mihoshi High had a VF-1 (with UN Spacy kite) on its frickin' roof...

It didn't have the UN Spacy kite, IIRC, that's what was so conspicuous about it. I think it might have had it in the manga. I asked producer Hirai-san about it ages ago and he did say something like they tried to avoid using that stuff just in case.

I feel like most of the Cons I go to people rarely cosplay Macross. It's just not that popular. Even frontier. I see maybe 1 or 2 Rinka's at a 20,000 people event. Obviously I may miss something but I usually spend 10 hours walking around taking photos ect.

SDF stuff is very rare.

Idk. I don't see this show breaking the mould in popularity the way say, Attack on Titan or even something like Danmachi where all the girls want to dress like the sexy main character. The main girl seems a bit mousy.

I think this show was definitely aimed at a successful run in Japan with the fantasy elements as that is what is popular right now, but who knows if it will translate here. Macross always seems to be vastly different from show to show, but this one seems very similar to Frontier with some tweaks.

Edited by Gakken85

That's a pretty accurate description of Macross as a franchise in a nut shell. :lol:

Then the next logical question would be, why are you here? Then again, this opinion seems to be a dominant commonality in the U.S., western based fandom. Even then, I'd say more so in the older fans. Not enough death and guts, so it's got no soul.

I feel like most of the Cons I go to people rarely cosplay Macross. It's just not that popular. Even frontier. I see maybe 1 or 2 Rinka's at a 20,000 people event. Obviously I may miss something but I usually spend 10 hours walking around taking photos ect.

SDF stuff is very rare.

Idk. I don't see this show breaking the mould in popularity the way say, Attack on Titan or even something like Danmachi where all the girls want to dress like the sexy main character. The main girl seems a bit mousy.

I think this show was definitely aimed at a successful run in Japan with the fantasy elements as that is what is popular right now, but who knows if it will translate here. Macross always seems to be vastly different from show to show, but this one seems very similar to Frontier with some tweaks.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Most anime series have their bouts of popularity when series are being aired. Frontier had a lot (and I'm talking about 60+) of fans who had cosplayed as Frontier and 7 fans during two years of 09 and 10 consecutively. I do remember going to a few Macross cosplay gatherings outside of Anime Expo as well.

I really can't grasp what this show is going to be. If you're comparing it to Frontier, the only reason why it may seem as such, is more due to the coloring and background. It's all the same studio, and Satelight is known for having a similar palette throughout their series. the characters don't seem the same though. I did appreciate Risa Ebata's characters a bit more, but I'm not going to jump off with my feelings on them just yet. the images and feel of the visuals needs to sink in for awhile before I make any praise or criticism. the valkyries though, those look great IMO. Not a big fan of the forward swept wing, which for the longest, was reserved for the valks of the 9 series, but that SV-262 is a beast.

At least the story is seemingly going to have a different direction. In my FB group, there's been small speculation, but with the names of the valkyries, the idol, the castles, and what seems to be a monarch type society, I wonder if this could be a European colony, or something similar. Even the SV-262 is based off of a European fighter, so it leaves me to wonder where this is going. I'm actually a bit anxious and happily curious about the story. While mecha is great, it's never been what drew me into the Macross franchise. It's always been a great story, each and every one of them as a separate entity. I don't rely on it needing to be some super canon, perfect retconned, non-retconned, semi-retconned, or however people who live off that want to put it. I enjoy each story as it comes. I hope I can do that with this one as well. I know, probably too much rambling, but I figured I'd put my little bit of useless speculation in it. I was right way back in the beginning about needing a girls idol group, and maybe a planetary, colony dispute. Ah, we'll see soon enough.

I dunno, the VF-25 took a little time to grow on me. I'll probably come around at some point. I do prefer non-forward sweeping wings personally. My problem is it takes me too long to get on board with it that I miss out on the toys when they are released and later regret not picking up stuff. Though, I do prefer stuff that has some influence from real military fighters even if it's only a small influence like the VF-17.

Now the VF-25 looks "normal" to me.

Edited by sharky

The VF-25 was just too boring to me. Too much back-kibble in battroid-mode, and too short of legs-thrusters/exhaust in fighter-mode. Couple with the amount of ridiculously stupid ricing the animators tried to graft to it in super and armored packs.

In contrast, the VF-171 was alot more pleasing to the eye. Quite very slick. Too bad the CF toy-version was junk.

I myself find the 171 a boring looking design. I see it and say oh a futuristic F-117 which is also a very boring design. I find the 25 far more pleasing to look at. It has very pleasing curves to it and is very graceful looking to me. Aircraft are like women, curves tend to be more appealing than straight lines. But this coming from a guy that looks at F-16's all day (which also have lots of curves).

I just don't think it's anything fresh or new. From the character design to the valks it just looks like a mash of things we've seen before. You have some really interesting anime out there these days and I was hoping for something a bit more serious or risky.

The SV-262 is a definite step away from a lot of the Macross VF designs. It is definitely screaming Draken when I see it. The 31 is simplified looking design to me. Honestly I am not making any judgement calls until i see the series.

On another note: Gakken give ole' Morgoth a kick in the shin for me since you are down there in Angband......also tell him to stop bogarting the Silmarils....lol

Edited by grigolosi

Give it chance guys: We've only seen a clip less than 2 minutes long. A lot of surprises are still to come.

I have had chance to examine all the available pics, and I'm on board with both VF-31 and SV-262. It didn't take much to convince me. :D

Edited by sharky

Guest davidwhangchoi

Doh! I missed the waifu discussion! :angry:

Ah well. So I'll just say that it's going to be VERY hard to beat Klan as best waifu. We'll have to see what pretty ladies emerge from Delta. :wub:

you may have to change your sig then:)

Get used to them, you are a Macross fan... :p

so that's alto's kid w/ nome then!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not really a fan of anime of any kind. I like to see what kind of designs Kawamori comes up with and their execution in animation and I love the background story/mythology of Macross but I've never really like any of the actual executions. I do hope it turns out good for all of us, but as long as I have cool toys I'm good.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm not really a fan of anime of any kind. I like to see what kind of designs Kawamori comes up with and their execution in animation and I love the background story/mythology of Macross but I've never really like any of the actual executions. I do hope it turns out good for all of us, but as long as I have cool toys I'm good.

+1

I some how get the feeling Kawamori was playing Final Fantasy when he designed things.

I really hope the character designs are not a preview of what's expected, because I'm terribly let down.

At least the fighters will make decent shelf pieces.

But Kawamori designs neither characters nor backgrounds.... Edited by Tochiro

Not to sound rude, but I guess I can invalidate comments you make in regards to anime then? I'm not saying you have to be a fan as it doesn't matter to me, but why even bother wasting time commenting on something you aren't really a fan of?

This is an odd aesthetic choice, but I'm witholding judgement, I guess we're going to get more information on how N.U.N.S. operates, allowing something like a monarchy to arise with these Kingdom of the Wind people should drive some interesting story-writing and dialogue to be sure. I didn't really take the New UN Spacy for the allowing totalitarian government/monarchy side of things. Not after the Galaxy incident with an oligarchy.

This is an odd aesthetic choice, but I'm witholding judgement, I guess we're going to get more information on how N.U.N.S. operates, allowing something like a monarchy to arise with these Kingdom of the Wind people should drive some interesting story-writing and dialogue to be sure. I didn't really take the New UN Spacy for the allowing totalitarian government/monarchy side of things. Not after the Galaxy incident with an oligarchy.

I guess the presumption would be that, since Delta is set at the furthest reach of colonized space (literally on the 'Frontier', wink wink) that things would be a little less unified and a little more chaotic.

I dunno, the VF-25 took a little time to grow on me. I'll probably come around at some point. I do prefer non-forward sweeping wings personally. My problem is it takes me too long to get on board with it that I miss out on the toys when they are released and later regret not picking up stuff. Though, I do prefer stuff that has some influence from real military fighters even if it's only a small influence like the VF-17.

Now the VF-25 looks "normal" to me.

You could always buy when they're available and if the design still doesn't grow on you just sell them later on.

I really hope the character designs are not a preview of what's expected, because I'm terribly let down.

Pretty sure that video was meant to act as a preview of some sort. To show us what the anime will look like. I could be wrong though.

Not to sound rude, but I guess I can invalidate comments you make in regards to anime then? I'm not saying you have to be a fan as it doesn't matter to me, but why even bother wasting time commenting on something you aren't really a fan of?

6,000 posts and he still hasn't realized he doesn't like Macross.

If they include a cannon fodder Valkyrie to the series and it would be the VF-25 it would be cool to have it redesigned for the general use inside the NUNS forces. Since Kawamori stated that the CF fighters should not look too heroic (hence the switch from the VF-19 to the VF-171) maybe the VF-25 will have a new look that tones the angelic wing backpack down. It would be awesome to see a new take on the VF-25 after we knew the Messiah in and out after Frontier (and toys).

However I feel that the departure is probably not that big of a difference since it is more cost effective to just use the 3D model from Frontier. Also the VF-17 needed some major rework since the designs where all hand-drawn and hat a lot of unrealistic proportion shifts between the modes. This isn't true for the VF-25.

That said I really hope the include a third Valkyrie type that is different from the VF-31 and SV-262 to be blown up by the enemies. ^_^

Wait, let me get this straight. If you were going to invalidate his comments anyway, then why are you wasting time commenting on his comments. so now he has to waste his time commenting back to your comment, and other people (like me) will probably get involve commenting on both of your comments. thereby, wasting everybody's time. whaaaat... :blink:

confused_jackie_chan.jpg

6,000 posts and he still hasn't realized he doesn't like Macross.

Jasonc #2 pls. We heard you the first time.

If they include a cannon fodder Valkyrie to the series and it would be the VF-25 it would be cool to have it redesigned for the general use inside the NUNS forces. Since Kawamori stated that the CF fighters should not look too heroic (hence the switch from the VF-19 to the VF-171) maybe the VF-25 will have a new look that tones the angelic wing backpack down. It would be awesome to see a new take on the VF-25 after we knew the Messiah in and out after Frontier (and toys).

However I feel that the departure is probably not that big of a difference since it is more cost effective to just use the 3D model from Frontier. Also the VF-17 needed some major rework since the designs where all hand-drawn and hat a lot of unrealistic proportion shifts between the modes. This isn't true for the VF-25.

That said I really hope the include a third Valkyrie type that is different from the VF-31 and SV-262 to be blown up by the enemies. ^_^

Please enlighten me here. I know everybody want the VF-25 to be the next CF in Delta, but aren't you guys tired of the 25 yet? :p I mean we have a bunch of 25s releases for the last 8 years. Now we are going to see more 25 for the next 8 years? I mean you guys don't want to see Bandai doing new CF Valk like the 21/22 or maybe the 19? Hell, at this point I'll even take the VF-1 as the new Delta CF. :lol: Please Bandai! I know you're reading this!

Well I don't exactly want the VF-25 to be the CF fighter in Delta but I think it would be the logical progression. It would be the most cost effective way to just use the Frontier model clean it up a bit, slap a generic paint onto Valkyrie and maybe give her a new head turret.

It would be awesome if the CF is a completely new designed Valkyrie or adapting a design we already seen. For example a VF-5000 would make a great CF machine but I don't think this will happen. So the best positive outcome of this situation would be a heavily modified Valkyrie based on the VF-24 so that I have more incentive to buy a toy of this one. Just a new head turret might not cut it (since I passed on the Bandai YF-25)

Speaking of the YF-24 and since the show is called Delta maybe they adapt the delta wing design of the YF-24 for the CF Valkyrie since the VF-31 doesn't have delta wings the show title seems misleading. :p

Please enlighten me here. I know everybody want the VF-25 to be the next CF in Delta, but aren't you guys tired of the 25 yet? :p I mean we have a bunch of 25s releases for the last 8 years. Now we are going to see more 25 for the next 8 years? I mean you guys don't want to see Bandai doing new CF Valk like the 21/22 or maybe the 19? Hell, at this point I'll even take the VF-1 as the new Delta CF. :lol: Please Bandai! I know you're reading this!

Why the hell would they still be using VF-1s in Delta? Aren't you tired of the VF-1? Do you really want another stupid Roy custom to buy?

I agree with you Scilla, it would be cool with a new YF-24 based CF valk. It could of course be a new model of the VF-25. But in case we might get a whole new fighter was the reason I asked before if we know anything about the missing numbers: Y/VF-26 and Y/VF-28. Do anyone know if there's been an obscure mention of those projects anywhere in background materials?

I agree with you Scilla, it would be cool with a new YF-24 based CF valk. It could of course be a new model of the VF-25. But in case we might get a whole new fighter was the reason I asked before if we know anything about the missing numbers: Y/VF-26 and Y/VF-28. Do anyone know if there's been an obscure mention of those projects anywhere in background materials?

The thing is that VF The Ride introduced the idea that Federal forces and Colony forces don't necessarily use the same equipment.So an introduction of a VF-24 would not be completely out of the question. For Bandai it is a matter or reworking the VF-25 molds to accomodate a delta wing fighter. i quess we'll have to wait and see. It could also be a batch of VF-11's for all we know. These are possibly colony worlds after all.

Speaking of the YF-24 and since the show is called Delta maybe they adapt the delta wing design of the YF-24 for the CF Valkyrie since the VF-31 doesn't have delta wings the show title seems misleading. :p

The Draken III has a delta wing. Problem solved.

How often do I make comments in regards to the Anime? You're also ignoring the fact I like Kawamori's designs and all of the mythology, which is constantly being added to and updated, with each new installment.

True fandom!!

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-entertainment/as-yet-unmade-series-of-star-trek-is-crap-say-trekkies-20151103103507