Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Thanks Tochiro, Gubaba and everyone else for sharing and translating.

The VF's looks awesome, too soon to speculate if the plot will be good, still having fate.

I don't like the character design. It does appear the show was made entirely with the idea of heavy merchandising, I really hope the plot is good enough.

Edited by Valkyrie addict

So... I do understand mostly the whole Big West/Tatsunoko/H.G. debacle but... I thought the whole issue with using the U.N. Spacy emblem was resolved? So Macross series' can't use it? Didn't we see it in Macross Frontier? I'm old and my brain hurts so forgive me if I'm forgetful. :p

I thought the whole issue with using the U.N. Spacy emblem was resolved?

:lol: Oh heck no. Resolved. :lol:

So Macross series' can't use it?

Only if they want to market it overseas.

Didn't we see it in Macross Frontier?

No.

I keep wondering why no one is hating on the weird blinking hair extensions of the Draken Boys .

Anyhow I think what is missing in the trailer is an energetic Macross Delta theme song. The actual music in the trailer makes the setting of the show more doom and gloom than it hopefully is. That could be wishful thinking by myself though. The fact that the music quality is sub par in the trailers on youtube doesn't help.

Since Music/Songs are one of the three pillars of Macross we hopefully get a glimpse of what it sounds like with the next teaser.

Speaking of music, who is composing the music this time?

I wouldn't worry too much about missing trailer music. It's a trailer.

I wonder if the 31 trades in the YF-30's multi-purpose container. I see the leg missile launchers are back. The arm guns are likely a replacement for the hip guns of the earlier YF-24-family.

Having the benefit of looking at better-res versions, I think they're dragon/bat wings. Dunno about the center of it.

The Knights of Wind each have their own trim color and personal symbol painted all over their Draken IIIs.

Agreed, just saw a better pic and I thought dragon as well.

I hope we see half the boy and girl band dead by the end of the show. :angry:

Damn.

I am basing my opinion on his collected works over the past 30 years, not just one show.

Perhaps he's had a change of heart after all this time writing other types of fiction, or perhaps he was indeed promoting a show his studio was producing. We all know THAT never happens, all show directors never promote shows they are working on for the sake of the product.

Either way it is not a story genre he typically writes outside of Macross, which is my initial point.

I getcha. But it's not as if everything a person likes would necessarily show up in his work. Especially not right away. It could also be something he started liking later on.

And yea I wasn't implying that saying "he was just doing promotion" would have been an invalid point, just that it's the obvious rebuttal. We have no way of knowing of course, but i don't think it's a stetch, especially since dedicating a whole series to an idol group would indicate some level of interest.

Ok, a few points explicitly stated in the Delta presentation that people seem to misunderstand.

1)The girls are NOT pilots. The do not sing while they fly. They support the pilots with their singing. We do not yet know WHO the pilots of the VF-31 squad are or HOW the girls support them (the talks do not appear to be dual cockpit either).
2)The males are NOT a band or idols. They are a group of pilots. Nowhere has it been stated that they sing.
3)The director stated that the main characters may not even (all) be in the two images released today. There's a lot more to be revealed yet.
4)Kawamori noted that there's no scenes in the teaser where the girls are actually doing their thing and that there's a lot regarding this that has yet to be revealed.

Ahh, thanks for the info. Well we know two mains are definitely missing from the promo images: The blue haired guy (Alto's son :p ) and the red haired Zentran/Zolan chick. I'm guessing she's one of the pilots from the Tactical Sound Unit.

Speaking of music, who is composing the music this time?

I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully we find out soon.

I thought the forward-swept wings was only for the VF with a 9 at the end. Like VF-9, VF-19 and VF-29.

That was the pattern yes, it's all over now though. Although you could look at this as being delta-winged with a forward-swept edge, so maybe it doesn't count. Then again the 9 series had a similar design in the 19F/S, just not as pronounced.

Macross Delta looks like it's going for the current idol pop group anime trend of Love Live! & Idolm@ater- Cinderella Girls.

lol. because 30-40 year old men are the target market.

You'd might be somewhat surprised. The hobby/anime market is a lot smaller than you'd think, and a disproportionate chunk of it (at least as far as people who actually put their wallet behind things) are in exactly that demographic- people who grew up with the first show and continue to watch, and that's what a lot of shows are directly marketed towards. Unless you think 12 year olds have the disposable income to buy 200,000 yen Arcadia/Bandai products. Of course they want the series to appeal to as broad a market as possible, and kids/young adults are great to bring in and sell some CDs and a few trading figures to, but this isn't Transformers, and we're not talking about Hasbro. They care more about the older chunk of viewers than you seem to think.

As far as some of my personal "....oh. :unsure: " reaction towards this show, I see a lot of people comparing AKB0048 as an example of Kowamori's other works and I guess my problem is I couldn't really get into that, either. I was kind of hoping for less of that, not more of it, so I can't help but be somewhat disappointed. I'll fully acknowledge that it's a kneejerk, and I'm still planning on giving the show the full shot when more info is released/when it's out though!

Really really really tired of the underage girl moe character design everywhere in Japan these days. That says nothing of the plot which could be great so i'll withhold judgement, but i really miss the 80s where maturity was seen as attractive and not looking 12.

The story could be interesting if like mentioned the singers are backup for the pilots...it would be like a slowly formed cultural tradition that stretches back to what happened with Space War 1. I have always liked how in later series , small cultural changes have always reflected in the modern culture of the show.

I will say one thing, the music is really really good. The music has me currently looking past all the negatives with hope that this will be something good that will come out of the target demographic marketing.

Macross Delta looks like it's going for the current idol pop group anime trend of Love Live! & Idolm@ater- Cinderella Girls.

Yeah. Those ones are so popular among the male anime fans in Japan.

And I think "Uta no Prince-Sama" series are also added. "Uta Pri", "Free!" and "Kuroko no Baske" are very popular among Japanese female anime fans.

The new Macross is also for the idol group anime fans here, I guess.

Edited by antibiotictab

"Really really really tired of the underage girl moe character design everywhere in Japan these days. That says nothing of the plot which could be great so i'll withhold judgement, but i really miss the 80s where maturity was seen as attractive and not looking 12."

^

|_ This.

Though I don't really know if it's "everywhere in Japan", it seems to be really widespread in Anime. Really makes me think of the late 70's / early 80's as the high point of the story telling and characters in anime. Of course, I'm not authority, but that's how it feels like to me.

Trailer averaging about 1000 views an hour. That's good.

But you just know HG would like to get their slimy hands on it. That's bad.

They can't touch it as long as it doesn't leave Japan. So no problem there. They won't make a single cent from it.

I really wish that Big West would challenge in court for ownership of the Macross name in the rest of the world. I'd take the case to a country like Germany with copyright laws that protect the 'creators' over 'marketers'. They'd have a good shot there.

Just watched the trailer again and it grew a bit more on me. I'm thinking that there's a lot that Kawamori chose not to show and that the series might spring some thematic surprises along the way.

I honestly gotta say, I laugh every time I see someone whine about the girl idol group thing. Not interested? Don't worry, it wasn't made for you in the first place, so it's not like the sentiment matters to anyone for whom it was intended for. No need to change it, and I'll reserve my likes/dislikes of the series until it's being shown. As far as what I do see, I'm not stuck in the "What I grew up with is best" catalogue. I'm gonna keep my mind open to whatever it is that comes out. Hell, if I can watch Love Live and find it entertaining, I think I've expanded my horizon well beyond my nostalgia boundaries. I'm not saying everyone has to be on board with what they see. However, for us who live outside of Japan, we should all understand that, as I said above, this isn't made for us gritty westerners who need death, blood, and grit 100% of the time. I honestly believe that it's what makes the franchise successful. I'm sure we'll see some of that, but not in a way that many here may want or feel entitled to.

I honestly gotta say, I laugh every time I see someone whine about the girl idol group thing. Not interested? Don't worry, it wasn't made for you in the first place, so it's not like the sentiment matters to anyone for whom it was intended for. No need to change it, and I'll reserve my likes/dislikes of the series until it's being shown. As far as what I do see, I'm not stuck in the "What I grew up with is best" catalogue. I'm gonna keep my mind open to whatever it is that comes out. Hell, if I can watch Love Live and find it entertaining, I think I've expanded my horizon well beyond my nostalgia boundaries. I'm not saying everyone has to be on board with what they see. However, for us who live outside of Japan, we should all understand that, as I said above, this isn't made for us gritty westerners who need death, blood, and grit 100% of the time. I honestly believe that it's what makes the franchise successful. I'm sure we'll see some of that, but not in a way that many here may want or feel entitled to.

fa sho.

Edited by gunbuster76