Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Actually was anyone else surprised this was as far along as this? i wasn't expecting a trailer, just some character shots and maybe a look at the 2 fighters. Pretty cool on that front :)

No, not surprised at all, they have been working on it for ages already. In fact if anything I feel they are late......haha.

Anyway, hope this is not gonna be a battle of the bands, reality show, sing-off/fly-off, where they shoot at each other with non-lethal laser-tag guns and paint missiles.......urghhh :(

For a forum made up of 30+ something men you guys sure act immature when it comes to your japanese robot cartoons.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

C.S. Lewis

:p It's a hobby forum, these reactions from all sides are quite normal I reckon.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

C.S. Lewis

:p It's a hobby forum, these reactions from all sides are quite normal I reckon.

Not saying you're wrong, but C.S. Lewis was kind of an idiot.

The trailer leaves an impression that is decidedly not "Macross," but that doesn't mean the show is bad. Delta might be excellent, but how that trailer feels is why several of us are skeptical. And even if it's good, I'm sure there will be more than a few of us (possibly myself included) who will be turned off by the show if it departs too far from what we consider the essence of what makes a production "Macross."

Finally watched it!

I'll admit that I jumped when I saw the Regults & Glaug. And while I am a little disappointed in the boy vs girl group thing, I'm not surprised.

I think the VF-31 looks pretty good - but I'm not sold on the head or the forearm cannons. I'm also not thrilled about the next round of back kibble.

However, I am VERY curious to see how the DrakenIII transforms. Hopefully the single tail won't just hang off the back.

On the other hand - I think this was a good trailer. Maybe it gives us a little better idea of what to expect. Remember how Frontier began?

The trailer, the music, the gritty grown up & violent feel of the Deculture Edition premier episode?

Then how we got Brera with his tummy, the Hydra battle & Aikun - the panty thief? And cramming all the plot exposition & resolution into a rushed final 3 episodes?

Perhaps it's good we got knocked down a bit...

Edited by Kelsain

Ok, a few points explicitly stated in the Delta presentation that people seem to misunderstand.

1)The girls are NOT pilots. The do not sing while they fly. They support the pilots with their singing. We do not yet know WHO the pilots of the VF-31 squad are or HOW the girls support them (the talks do not appear to be dual cockpit either).
2)The males are NOT a band or idols. They are a group of pilots. Nowhere has it been stated that they sing.
3)The director stated that the main characters may not even (all) be in the two images released today. There's a lot more to be revealed yet.
4)Kawamori noted that there's no scenes in the teaser where the girls are actually doing their thing and that there's a lot regarding this that has yet to be revealed.

Ok, a few points explicitly stated in the Delta presentation that people seem to misunderstand.

1)The girls are NOT pilots. The do not sing while they fly. They support the pilots with their singing. We do not yet know WHO the pilots of the VF-31 squad are or HOW the girls support them (the talks do not appear to be dual cockpit either).

2)The males are NOT a band or idols. They are a group of pilots. Nowhere has it been stated that they sing.

3)The director stated that the main characters may not even (all) be in the two images released today. There's a lot more to be revealed yet.

4)Kawamori noted that there's no scenes in the teaser where the girls are actually doing their thing and that there's a lot regarding this that has yet to be revealed.

Thanks, Tochiro

I saw the trailer this morning. It looks stunning, I see what looks like a higher ratio of Zentradi characters to human ones, which is cool, I also saw some of the old school battlepods which was also very cool. Trying to figure out what was actually going on, as far as teasers left me feeling confused and violated (but maybe that was my two tough exams over the past couple of days, but I digress).

The Fighters look pretty cool, but I'm not so sure about the character designs, one team looks like the typical Macross Idol, while the other looks like something out of Code Geass. I'll reserve judgement until I see it, but just going off of the current stuff I'm going to go out on a limb and say this one's gonna be a bit weird.

Earlier today (Oct. 29), when stepping out of the train in Nakano, I saw a person with bags of Tamashii Nation 2015 materials with the "lump of super alloy VF-1J". So I approached him and asked where he got/bought them. And that I just came from Akihabara and was pretty sure that the VF-1Js won't be available till tomorrow, Oct. 30. After trying to understand each other (I don't speak Japanese and needed to show pictures I took earlier in Akihabara and show my passport and explain that I will be leaving Japan very early next morning), he told me that he that he's from the Press and that's why he has those materials with the VF-1J.

post-458-0-42203300-1446128086_thumb.jpg

post-458-0-29911000-1446128099_thumb.jpg

Outside of Macross, how many Kawamori stories / series have you seen featuring idol groups?

I don't recall any.

REALLY??

Earlier today (Oct. 29), when stepping out of the train in Nakano, I saw a person with bags of Tamashii Nation 2015 materials with the "lump of super alloy VF-1J". So I approached him and asked where he got/bought them. And that I just came from Akihabara and was pretty sure that the VF-1Js won't be available till tomorrow, Oct. 30. After trying to understand each other (I don't speak Japanese and needed to show pictures I took earlier in Akihabara and show my passport and explain that I will be leaving Japan very early next morning), he told me that he that he's from the Press and that's why he has those materials with the VF-1J.

Hey you were in Nakano today?? Me too! I didn't know you were in Japan right now! :)

It's like the reincarnation of the jamminggu birds...

Yes Renato. 24 hours in Tokyo. I was able to buy Macross doujin. Heheheh. I'm about to leave for the airport now as I type.

Edited by Bub

The symbol on the teal/red -31 I think is more of a flaming-winged angel or Phoenix.

Having the benefit of looking at better-res versions, I think they're dragon/bat wings. Dunno about the center of it.

The Knights of Wind each have their own trim color and personal symbol painted all over their Draken IIIs.

Well, just saw the trailer. And despite the moe, I liked it. Now... the character designs look quite different than those from Frontier. I actually like more the animation and the designs. There seem to be way more characters than those in Frontier and the show is giving me a strong Gundam Reconguista in G vibe (I actually liked that show).

Yes, the characters from the promotional images look super Code Geass but the character designs are actually interesting. And to see classic Zentradi mecha (somewhat modified) again was totally unexpected. I'm telling you, the show looks a lot like Gundam Reconguista (which had lots and lots of colorful and imaginative factions, mecha and characters).

The new valks are great. I was wondering... do the SV in SV-262 stands for Sukhoi Variable? Does this mean that the kingdom is some sort of Anti-UN remnant? :blink:

Wild guess: the NUNS show up on the planet as a defensive force against... something... and come into conflict with the local colonial government (monarchy?) that doesn't want them there. Seems topical and could fit what we've seen so far.

I'm really liking the designs for both the VF-31 Seigfried and the SV-262 Draken III. The color scheme for the VF-31 is very good, different and yet feels very Macross (using atypical color, yet slightly muted). I also really like that the Draken III is colored quite strangely. It really makes the SV-262 more distinctive.

I'm not typically a fan of the back-mounted wings in the Battroid modes, but for some reason, the back-mounted wings on the YF-30 Chronos have always looked good to me and the same for the VF-31 Seigfried. Maybe it's that they are mounted higher on the body (shoulder height or higher), more typically like other mythical humanoid creatures with wings.

Not sure if I'm thrilled yet with the arm-mounted cannons, but I will be much happier if they are eventually revealed as beam weaponry. As beam guns it would be a great way to give more attention to beam weapons which is something that get's ignored so often in the animation. Which has always seemed bizarre to me given that the creators keep including such weapons in every valkyrie, yet we almost never see them utilized. The Frontier valkyries largely featured the most beam weaponry of the valkyries since the Macross Plus era, yet we barely saw them. I don't want to see the Gun Pod phased out or absent, but if we get more than a few YF-21-styled forearm gun action sequences, that would be a VERY welcome trend in Macross combat. Give those beam weapons at least some love.

So far I like the character designs, though they are very different from anything I've seen in Macross so far. The costumes and art design though do seem a little strange to me. There is a strange feeling to the clothing, almost as if it's been more formalized in some regards and yet in other the clothing is more casual yet outrageous. I'm going to assume for now that this is part of the setting, weaving into the way things are on this colony planet. It does feel somewhat odd to see castles in Macross, in anything other than a dream sequence, lol. I'm curious how these production elements integrate into the story.

Crazy idea...

Legacy of the Protoculture... What if the planet colonized already has inhabitants, Kingdom of Wind, and the UNG did an uplift like the Zolans except it didn't turn out well as expected? Resulting to two planetary wars called Delta Wars. This could be why invading or colonizing planets with sentient life became a no-no in the Galaxy Treaty which NUNG members are supposed to abide by.

Which could explain the lack of NUNS.

With Grace's attempted invasion it's a political and diplomatic clusterfrak for the NUNG with the locals.

What's with Macross and Thursdays?!?

@ all those cursing not being in Japan: despite being here, work like totally prevented me from catching any of the live streaming stuff. >.<;;;

Anywho... translations of the blurbs that were thrown up on the official website:

VF-31 Siegfried: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/VF-31/VF-31.php

Sv-262 Draken III: http://monkeybacon.mywebcommunity.org/Stats/Statistics/Sv262/Sv-262.php

Not much, but they do add a few more tantalizing clues about the series.

Awww, that's too bad. I would've totally been on board for an all-girls singing-fighting pilots group.

Personally, I immediately thought "Pretty Cure in Space". :p

Maybe the girls are the VF-31s. Like virtual idols who live inside the mecha? Sharon Apple as a Valk if you will.

Edited by Vifam7

I think they are trying to make a product that will sell. That's their job. I just wish it had been a bit more unique on the Mecha angle. They seem to be recycling a lot of ideas.

Knights of Sidonia feels more like Macross than Macross these days....even if they don't transform.

The fancy overcoats are not my favorite.

But such is life. Maybe it will have a great story.. I'll keep an open mind until I see it. Maybe Bandai will make a Dx Destroid.

Edited by Gakken85