Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Know what would be different a Zentradi civil war between extremist pro-Earth Zentradi and anti-Earth Zentradi.

We know there are extremist like Fasces who are Earth centrists and there are who knows how many Zentradi ships that left Earth as emigration ships in 2031 in the wake of the Second Defensive Battle of Macross City.

So I spent the past four days working for the Satelight booth at Anime Expo. Everyone was very careful not to refer to the show as anything other than "the new Macross" or "the next Macross" (i.e. We still don't know what it's called, and maybe they don't, either), and the standard answer when anyone asked about the series was, "We're working on it now."

Thomas Romain confirmed that he's working on it, but I think we already knew that.

Heh~ Animation errors. The Macross Parallel World has one and it isn't that.

VF-XXVF-1.jpg~original.jpg

1435437465786.jpg

Thankfully, M2 has now been given the same status as the rest of Macross. No need to use the term parallel unless you use it for every entry in the series, really.

Can't wait to see what happens when the timeline finally catches back up to M2 :-)

Thankfully, M2 has now been given the same status as the rest of Macross. No need to use the term parallel unless you use it for every entry in the series, really.

Can't wait to see what happens when the timeline finally catches back up to M2 :-)

But that's not Mac2, that's Mac2036. Which is an awesome game, don't get me wrong, but likely not canon.

(Also, I believe, the only story ever told about Komillia Jenius after she learned to talk.)

Except that, by the definition Kawamori uses, games and novels are equally as canon as anything else. :-)

Fiiiiiine. It's definitely part of a different continuity family than G1.

Transformers fandom's already dealt with this "official = canon, even when directly contradictory" issue, so I'll just borrow their vocabulary.

Gubaba, who is Thomas Romain?

Not meant for me but I'll take it anyway. Thomas Romain is a french animator/art designer who currently works for Satelight (that's Shoji Kawamori's studio). One of the few gaijin working in the anime industry as far as I know.

Not meant for me but I'll take it anyway. Thomas Romain is a french animator/art designer who currently works for Satelight (that's Shoji Kawamori's studio). One of the few gaijin working in the anime industry as far as I know.

Exactly. In addition, he's the co-creator of Oban Sar Racers and Basquash, and he's done an amazing amount of really excellent design work for such shows as Aquarion EVOL, AKB0048, Symphogear, and Space Dandy.

Know what I think we need a blast from the past in Delta. We never did see Ohgotai die on screen. Hell Temjin could've survived his little splash.

Have Temjin as that a-hole that keeps coming back like Quamzin in the games. Ohgotai filling in Vrlithwai's role.

Know what I think we need a blast from the past in Delta. We never did see Ohgotai die on screen. Hell Temjin could've survived his little splash.

Have Temjin as that a-hole that keeps coming back like Quamzin in the games. Ohgotai filling in Vrlithwai's role.

Surviving the splash isn't the issue. It's surviving the Dimension Eater that makes it unlikely any of that fleet is alive.

As per Kawamori`s previous stance, the new series will take place in a separate independent parallel world. As do all Macross series.

Grace 3.0? :D

Hmmmn--in the TV series, both green VF-27's were destroyed, and Grace died on the Vajra planet. Movie was rather different. Which version of Frontier's events will be "canon" for Delta?

Yep

Except that, by the definition Kawamori uses, games and novels are equally as canon as anything else. :-)

Surviving the splash isn't the issue. It's surviving the Dimension Eater that makes it unlikely any of that fleet is alive.

We never saw Ohgotai die nor did we see the orbital half of the ship. In the PCE games Quamzin was like a cockroach that keeps coming back. I like Temjin being a reference to that.

If you mean, "they are all fictional stories of actual historical events in the Macross Universe", I agree ;)

I keep thinking making M2 the story of an early Megaroad emigration fleet that is caught in a briar patch of fold faults is so much easier to work into the series continuity than anything else. If your fleet is cut off from the UN Network, you are forced to develop your own next generations of VF's, Cap ships and tactics to fend off rogue Zentradi fleets. Fleets who's ships may well be equipped with fold quartz engines that date back the PC era.

The lore the M2 series was first based upon is compelling, but that has since been retconned, like it or not.

Kawamori very recently retconned Mac Zero in its BD release by adding Sheryl's ear rings to a scene between Sara and Mao, that was never in the original DVD releases.

Edited by Zinjo

Well, Sunrise announced Gundam: Iron-blooded Orphens today, the latest in its long line of Gundam Alternate Universe series. It begins in October which is great news because it should (hopefully) tide anime/mecha fans over until MacrossΔ starts.

Initial key images show a young cast but seem to be trying to appear somewhat serious in tone.

I'm curious - would the Western fanbase like this sort of design aesthetic?

post-9325-0-93844900-1436958434_thumb.jpg

post-9325-0-67355700-1436958451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tochiro

It could be a show about anyone, or anything, at anytime... as long as it has new 3-mode valkyries, I'm in.

...that has a new design and transformation scheme that doesn't copy the VF-25, VF-27 and VF-29. Something as different as the 19 and 21 was in Plus.

Um, why?

For many of us the interesting transformations are part of the appeal of Macross. Even though there's a high amount of anime magic involved in some, I always enjoyed figuring out those transformations and their mechanics. It set Macross away from many other Mecha shows of the time. For me, however, once I realized that the 25, 27 and 29 all had virtually identical transformations, Frontier became a little less interesting to me. That, combined with the generally unlikable and immature characters soured me on Frontier a fair bit. That's just my personal opinion though, I know lots of people really enjoyed Frontier, but it just wasn't for me. At least it was better than 7 though... :p

Interesting.

I loved the elegant simplicity of the VF-25 transformations that made it so much more versatile than previous generations. They would be at the top end of efficient transformations with the VF-9 being at the bottom. I do find the method of transformations interesting, but it is a draw at the low end of my appreciation scale.

It's not that I don't like the VF-25's transformation, there's some interesting stuff in there that hasn't really been seen before. My issue was that the transformation was then copied over to every other VF in the show with the exception of the 171. Of course, I fondly remember in SDFM there was only a single VF as well, but there wasn't, say, a VF-2 and VF-3 which were just the VF-1 with extra spiky bits on it as we saw with Frontier. Felt a bit like a bait and switch, introducing a brand new VF, but it turns out that it's just the same as the last VF with a different wing shape and extra random bits and winglets sticking out of it.

You are aware the VF-25 & 27 are based upon the YF-24 developed by Earth based NUN Spacy right?

Why re-invent the wheel?

There is a valid reason for the similar transformation systems. They are both based on the same VF airframe.

Edited by Zinjo

I agree - it does show a bit less thinking outside the box. Except for the VF-171. When you consider that was included in the Frontier offering, it's a little easier to stomach.

For the record, I really like all the YF-24 derivatives. But I'm in agreement with Brand-X, it certainly makes me less enthusiastic about plonking down my hard earned cash on what are essentially recolors and augments of the same design. I know I'm clearly in the minority though. Coming from someone who has ONE VF-1 on display (A Hickie VF-1J, Yamato V2 original).

It would have worked out better too if the YF-24 derivatives didn't get progressively bulkier and more unwieldy back kibble with each iteration. The 25 wings were angelic, while the 27-30 were so back heavy it pushed the limits of believability in a gravity environment (as evidenced by the toys).

Contrast that with a 21 or 171, or even the original VF-1's, where the wings actually stow somewhere in Battroid mode and leave just the leg engines and rocket pack for stability/thrust. Hopefully the new series will consider a little more function with the form, but I have a strong belief we're going to see VF-30 variants at least at first - they need to show us the alternate pod attachments, after all.

I did like how they (he) switched up the arm placement on the YF-30. I'm still retroactively amazed we didn't see arm-mounted hard points on any valks before this.

Agree about the increasing back kibble though

Edited by Raptor One

"Back Kibble"??

The aircraft were pretty aerodynamic looking to me! With the exception of the Armored Pack which functioned much like an armored Gerwalk in flight, all the other aircraft did not have the mission packs in atmosphere. The Tornado pack from the movies would be the only exception I can recall and it had tilt jet thrusters to assist in it's flight..

Edited by Zinjo