Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

I've no doubt someone COULD write something interesting about the ancient history of Macross. We all know that despite the wave of awful remakes/sequels/reboots we've seen in the larger entertainment market, there have been more than a few great productions we've all enjoyed. But I personally have thought for a long time now that it's just as likely - if not moreso - that a new take on Macross would be far more interesting than revisiting the ancient history of the Macross universe.

Hope that helps.

Telling a prequel for Macross is a non-starter. Nothing produced can compete with the individual viewers' expectations. M7 introduced some compelling hints into that history and I would like to see more of the same, but more than just a throw away plot point. The further humanity pushes into the Galactic core, the more evidence of the PC legacy would be found.

At least for me, the reason for wanting to know more about the Supervision Army is to know what the Zentradi have been fighting all this time. Millia & Chlore are 2 of the greatest Aces with many many kills. But who did they kill? The Zentradi war machine has been fighting for hundreds of thousands of years, but fighting who? If you take the DYRL movie it has been Zentran VS Meltran, but that doesn't jive with then TV series. But then we also have to deal Macross's Schroedingers Background so who knows what is REALLY going on. Maybe they have been fighting Gordon Schumway's people from Melmack?

The question might be more accurately ... who WEREN'T they fighting?

They aren't picky about who they engage. We know THAT for a fact. Humanity was not the Supervision Army, and they rapidly ascertained that the people of Earth had no connection to the SA. They did not disengage and leave well enough alone.

In fact, they repeatedly escalated, eventually to a full fleet deployment.

Exedol's counsel against meddling in the affairs of miclones is apparently based on historical fact. Which means they've previously clashed with(and presumably exterminated) at least one other civilization with a society similar to Earth's(presumably at great cost, as his history details the effects of culture shock on zentradi soldiers).

We don't know that the planet they destroyed "for" Hikaru, Misa, and Kakizaki was inhabited by sentient life, but we know it was inhabitable, and thus that it did bear life, however primitive.

It may be the LEAST picky engagement they've ever been in, and they exterminated the hell out of some algae just to make a point.

Or it may be the end of another zentradi campaign, similar to humanity's Space War I. They may have brought their hostages/samples along on a final deployment to crush the home of another space-faring race, just to show how it's done.

Given the zentradi's utilitarian nature, I tend to believe the latter.

And it's safe to assume that the fall of the protoculture empire did not kill every colony world. How many isolated worlds reverted to relative barbarism, slowly rebuilding their society from the ground up, attaining those first tentative steps into space... only to be reduced to so much glass by a zentradi bombardment?

Short version: yes, they did go to war with Melmac, ultimately destroying the planet, and making ALF the first known sequel to Macross. DUN-DUN-DUNNNNNN!

Interestingly enough, we also know, from Millia and Chlore's rivalry, that there exists a communications structure ABOVE the fleet level.

This is interesting because it implies a COMMAND structure above the fleet level as well.

My assumption has long been that Earth was never reported to this command structure by Bodolza, to avoid suspicion that he himself was contaminated by the PROTOCULCHAAA!!.

Exedol's counsel against meddling in the affairs of miclones is apparently based on historical fact. Which means they've previously clashed with(and presumably exterminated) at least one other civilization with a society similar to Earth's(presumably at great cost, as his history details the effects of culture shock on zentradi soldiers).

Actually those were previous orders that didn't make sense for the Zentradi. Even before fold drives when they were still using sublight to Zentradi for proxy warfare. Don't interfere or harm miclones means don't attack Protoculture. Those orders were rescinded by the Protoculture.

Why would the Protoculture do that? Cause the Protoculture was facing an enemy, the Protodevlin, that used both Protoculture and Zetrandi against them that their Zentradi soldiers can't fight well with those restrictions.

By the time that conflict ended 85% of their race was dead and much of the chain of command broken that only few Zentradi fleets received orders not to attack miclones.

127 years later when the Stellar Republic was finally dead as a organization the Zentradi Army and Supervision Army started their war against each other.

Edited by RedWolf

Actually those were previous orders that didn't make sense for the Zentradi. Even before fold drives when they were still using sublight to Zentradi for proxy warfare. Don't interfere or harm miclones means don't attack Protoculture. Those orders were rescinded by the Protoculture.

Why would the Protoculture do that? Cause the Protoculture was facing an enemy, the Protodevlin, that used both Protoculture and Zetrandi against them that their Zentradi soldiers can't fight well with those restrictions.

By the time that conflict ended 85% of their race was dead and much of the chain of command broken that only few Zentradi fleets received orders not to attack miclones.

127 years later when the Stellar Republic was finally dead as a organization the Zentradi Army and Supervision Army started their war against each other.

Even the part about fighting an enemy with culture nearly destroying them?

(I do remember the part about orders to not interfere with miclones. Exedol doesn't recognize it as an order, though. Just ancient history, from the era of legendary reaction weapons. )

Telling a prequel for Macross is a non-starter. Nothing produced can compete with the individual viewers' expectations. M7 introduced some compelling hints into that history and I would like to see more of the same, but more than just a throw away plot point. The further humanity pushes into the Galactic core, the more evidence of the PC legacy would be found.

Fair enough. I will admit there were some fragments of the Macross backstory introduced in Macross 7 that could possibly be written into something interesting. For me, I think it's more fruitful to simply create something more interesting right out of the gate.

Even the part about fighting an enemy with culture nearly destroying them?

(I do remember the part about orders to not interfere with miclones. Exedol doesn't recognize it as an order, though. Just ancient history, from the era of legendary reaction weapons. )

Exsedol is an archivist but he doesn't have all the relevant data until he did some research. It was only after Space War 1 that he did found about more about Protoculture, Stellar Republic and what the Zentradi are. It was depressing for him that he called his race Satan's Dolls.

The guy was paranoid of humanity losing that knowledge that he had himself augmented when he became a giant again.

He recognized the colors of the Varauta forces were sporting but dismissed it as the were Miclone VFs not Zentradi size battlepods. Once a Protodevlin infiltrated City 7 it confirmed his worst fear that they were back.

Not saying it should be, just that there's precedent.

And I won't even mention the time travel hint that have been dropped in Macross the First ;-)

All this aside though, it's set in 2067. And the franchise is looking forward and moving forward. No point in dwelling on the last when the greater portion of your monetizeable user base are Frontier fans.

Not to mention that the ....well everything will be announced in due time (^_−)

Hi all! Long time no see. So no more info on Delta yet?

There is never more info. This is actually a cleverly-disguised "talk out of your backside" thread to get the noise out of the newbie question thread and somewhere less disruptive.

(And I'm aware I'm one of the leading offenders.)

Was reading this interview and them near the bottom states;

"Like many I would like to see more of Macross released abroad and for Satelight to share in its success, though it seems that this eventuality is sadly unlikely in the short term. However the upcoming Macross Delta could be an opportunity to resolve this unfortunate situation."

Any tots on what it implies?

Edit: link http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/06/13/president-michiaki-sato-of-satelight-on-fairness-and-holding-onto-what-you-make/

Edited by seti88

"Like many I would like to see more of Macross released abroad and for Satelight to share in its success, though it seems that this eventuality is sadly unlikely in the short term. However the upcoming Macross Delta could be an opportunity to resolve this unfortunate situation."

Edit: link http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/06/13/president-michiaki-sato-of-satelight-on-fairness-and-holding-onto-what-you-make/

Not much unfortunately. If it's called 'Macross', HG will want a slice of the pie if it's released outside Japan. And it's not that large of a pie to make sense for a really big player to descend and remedy the situation.

I suppose that when the new Macross comes out, execs from Crunchyroll and Funimation could make a couple of calls to see how much it would cost them to stream it and see if it adds up for them. My guess is it won't.

The actual interview ends in the previous paragraph.

That quote is the author stating his personal views (which, as someone with a Journalism degree, seems rather unprofessional to me, but hey, I'm not the one writing for Forbes).

As such, it doesnt represent the views of Satelight and has no bearing on what may or may not happen.

Yeah, and if someone under BW's grace wanted to Bring Macross Delta (or w/e) to the US, HG would have no way of stopping it.

If they tried to C&D in front of BW with new animation based on claiming the "Macross" title, you'd see a lot of unemployed RT employees

and a list of lawyers with losses. Don't forget, they really legally don't own that trademark, and the fact they still have it is more than likely due to BW not caring right now. But get in the way of profits, and I'm sure the BW hammer would be swift.

We could only hope to be so lucky, that HG tried to stop BW here, it would mean the end for HG's grip on the word.

So that in mind, I hope they try and release and english sub version for the west :D
Honestly I like the Japanese voice actors better, only in rare cases (Black Lagoon) have
I felt that the English actors kicked more ass!

Looking over the Chronology something I found interesting.

We don't know the details of the Delta War but ol' Isamu was in it.

Isamu in Delta war......... hm..... may be that's why Bandai is giving us a VF-19 Advance, can milk the mold for it if VF-19 is the main stream fighter in Macross Delta...

Edited by Swoosh

Isamu in Delta war......... hm..... may be that's why Bandai is giving us a VF-19 Advance, can milk the mold for it if VF-19 is the main stream fighter in Macross Delta...

The Vf-19 the mainstream fighter in 2067?

Ahahahaha.....no. f^_^

Edited by Tochiro

The Vf-19 the mainstream fighter in 2067?

Ahahahaha.....no. f^_^

In 2059 the EF models were still being used. Eight years isn't that much of a difference.

Not to mention the specific modified Isamu model which was derived from the EF outperformed the 25. Given that the project was conceived to improve and prolong the life of the 19 and it was real world tested in Isamu's A model it could be a thing.

Edited by Mommar

That's pretty much entirely wrong, Skullmilitia... HG has the Macross name fair and square.

You're confusing what I mean. Yes as of right now they legally own it. However using the whole "international" approach to trademark doesn't work anymore. The parent company always has the rights, and without much effort would be able to show in court that the "American" company was never given rights to use that trademark in this market. Unless it came down to Tats having done improper licensing during

the initial arrangment. I guess that could royally F and chance of seeing new productions in the west.

but If we want to talk about Trademark law, at this point that name is nearing abandonment, and someone could probably pick it up.

without much hassle. You can't just take a name, sit on it and not use it. It's nearing 20 years since the last time they made merch using that name. Hell, Maybe I'll grab a trademark lawyer and offer to split the profits of getting a license to dist. Macross "Delta" :D

In 2059 the EF models were still being used. Eight years isn't that much of a difference.

Not to mention the specific modified Isamu model which was derived from the EF outperformed the 25. Given that the project was conceived to improve and prolong the life of the 19 and it was real world tested in Isamu's A model it could be a thing.

We have to note VF-19 performance from Earth is different from VF-19 in emigration fleets. As they have parts missing from the monkey models. Why? Earth is paranoid AVF would be used against them.

Macross 7 Fleet has its own VF-19 Project Fire in competition to the YF-24 Evolution plan.

Please keep talk to to Macross Delta (or whatever name it's going to adopt).

You can't just take a name, sit on it and not use it. It's nearing 20 years since the last time they made merch using that name.

HG has been using it. However little they have used it has counted as usage. That's all I'll say about the matter.

And it's safe to assume that the fall of the protoculture empire did not kill every colony world. How many isolated worlds reverted to relative barbarism, slowly rebuilding their society from the ground up, attaining those first tentative steps into space... only to be reduced to so much glass by a zentradi bombardment?

Interestingly enough, we also know, from Millia and Chlore's rivalry, that there exists a communications structure ABOVE the fleet level.

This is interesting because it implies a COMMAND structure above the fleet level as well.

My assumption has long been that Earth was never reported to this command structure by Bodolza, to avoid suspicion that he himself was contaminated by the PROTOCULCHAAA!!.

I believe that the Chronology lists that the core worlds were destroyed, but many "outposts" simply went "dark" and hid themselves from any Zentradi contact.

It would make sense that there was an existing command structure above the fleet level. This is where the fleets would get their PC marching orders from during the Republic era. After the collapse it must still remain, but the question is who are the puppet masters now?

Tho i shouldnt ask why fighters in space need to have rudders or ailerons heh...

Because you never know when you'll have to re-enter the atmosphere to save mankind from an AI idol singer or even Sheryl's manager. (and there's always moons, and even large asteroids---or really really big enemy ships, all of which may have atmospheres and it'd be preferable to have aerodynamic controls)

Because you never know when you'll have to re-enter the atmosphere to save mankind from an AI idol singer or even Sheryl's manager. (and there's always moons, and even large asteroids---or really really big enemy ships, all of which may have atmospheres and it'd be preferable to have aerodynamic controls

Plus you can draw pictures in the sky too ...yahoo.. B)) ...i miss that i dont give a toot attitude instead of growing up teen angst...

whoever is designing the characters for delta keep that in mind....regardless mecha design will still pull me in...