Macross Δ (Delta) - announcement thread

renegadeleader1

Maybe, the new series will be called "Macross : Triangler "?

Remember the Maaya Sakamoto music video for Frontier was called Triangler and

had a very large triangle in that video, too.

I was amused that the "Macross Delta" link that Forbes put in the article went to a Macross Wiki article that painstakingly avoided calling it "Delta."

Or maybe with this thing...

ApplianceRecycle1.jpg

so we can see the VF-0 and SV-51 again :lol:

Fire Bomber could provide all the music on their new album, "Re:Cycle"

I was amused that the "Macross Delta" link that Forbes put in the article went to a Macross Wiki article that painstakingly avoided calling it "Delta."

They try until they get to the end where they talk about the singer contest.

The likelihood is that it will be called "Delta", but there's no byline on the title that says "Delta" or "D". It's just a triangle in all it's geometric glory.

I didn't get that from the article. The production team from TB asked Kawamori to design an aircraft for them and Satellite obliged them.

This is also true.

Well that's what you get for scan reading while watching TV :)

I just realized this... since Macross Delta is set in 2067, 8 years after Frontier (2059), perhaps Delta is going to be released also 8 years after the exact Frontier release date? (April 2016?) That would be a very bold move... B))

Well, since that recent interview with Hidetaka Tenjin leaked the fact that we are looking at an early 2016 release, this is mor than likely when it is going to be released. Provided production runs on schedule of course....^^;

I'm hoping Delta deals with the Supervision Army and that they break humanity's expectations of them. Human expectations is that they are like the Zentradi or the Varauta Army whom the Protodevlin brainwashed.

Well, it's nice to want things, but nothing about either the current trends or fanbase of the franchise, or what is known about Delta to date leads me to believe that such a thing is going to happen, sorry.

Having said that....rumours. So many rumours :-)

I'm hoping Delta deals with the Supervision Army and that they break humanity's expectations of them. Human expectations is that they are like the Zentradi or the Varauta Army whom the Protodevlin brainwashed.

I like the idea of exploring the SA more, but I would rather not see it as part of a Series where sponsor pressure could quash any real insights. An OVA series could be fun. I firmly believe the SA are a mis-understood villan in the franchise. A story featuring them could give us more hints about the PD without actually going all in on that subject.

Keep the PD an enigma for decades if possible, because once you lock them into a narrative you have to destroy what came before to unlock them...

Edited by Zinjo

Sponsor pressure'? Sorry but that almost sounds like some sort of conspiracy theory f^_^;)

While Macross does have a history of doubling down on existing fans when choosing content for OVAs (as opposed to more new fan friendly fare when it comes to TV series) , this has very little to do with 'sponsor pressure.'

In fact, Macross is somewhat unique in where it's funding comes from (as a fellow fan, I would hope you at least know that?) because it is NOT reliant upon 'sponsors' to the same degree a other high profile anime and so has a greater degree of freedom as a result (although it's not like sponsors normally ask for much in the way of changes. Production Committees exist to fill a need - that of gathering the necessary funding because anime isn't cheap to make. A lot of the discussion on the topic in English as of late has come from certain parties who created a false narrative on the subject that simply wasn't true and isn't echoed by creators in Japan. But the West needs is underdog stories to cheer for for some reason, even of they are largely fabrications. But I digress).

The long and short of it I that the bulk of the money for Delta is coming from the exact same party that would finance any Macross OVA, and it is not one that exerts control or makes demands.

Ultimately, we aren't getting things dealing with the SA or going back to the PD because

(a)it's not what the market wants

(b)it's not something that the bulk of monetize able fans want. But most importantly..

©It's not something that Kawamori is interested in making.

(d)Macross 7 already did it.

This isn't meant as a personal attack on anyone. Macross has many types of fans, which is healthy for the franchise, and it's good to want things.

As always, Im just trying to inject a little reality regarding Macross and its market reality as it stands today iinto the discussion.

Edited by Tochiro

I like the idea of exploring the SA more, but I would rather not see it as part of a Series where sponsor pressure could quash any real insights. An OVA series could be fun. I firmly believe the SA are a mis-understood villan in the franchise. A story featuring them could give us more hints about the PD without actually going all in on that subject.

Keep the PD an enigma for decades if possible, because once you lock them into a narrative you have to destroy what came before to unlock them...

If anything like with the Vajra the government left out some details about the Protodevlin. Stuff like they were Space Vampires and using people as farm animals was not known publicly or in databases was remarked by Ozma in Macross FB7.

All the galaxy knows Basara and Sound Force defeated the Protodevlin. As seen with what Liza Hoily said to Basara. But Basara in a typical fashion of his told her he didn't defeat anybody.

Hate to burst your bubble but it was already explained in Macross 7 that the Supervision Army were brainwashed Protoculture and zentradi fighting against the others under the direction of the Protodeviln.

Weren't they mind controlled, I do recall a rather spirited discussion on that distinction on these boards. M7 dealt with the PD and the Megaroad 13 survivors, NOT the SA per se.

Sponsor pressure'? Sorry but that almost sounds like some sort of conspiracy theory f^_^ ;)

While Macross does have a history of doubling down on existing fans when choosing content for OVAs (as opposed to more new fan friendly fare when it comes to TV series) , this has very little to do with 'sponsor pressure.'

In fact, Macross is somewhat unique in where it's funding comes from (as a fellow fan, I would hope you at least know that?) because it is NOT reliant upon 'sponsors' to the same degree a other high profile anime and so has a greater degree of freedom as a result (although it's not like sponsors normally ask for much in the way of changes. Production Committees exist to fill a need - that of gathering the necessary funding because anime isn't cheap to make. A lot of the discussion on the topic in Engliah as of late has come from certain parties who created a false narrative on the subject that simply wasn't true and isn't echoed by creators in Japan. But the West needs is underdog stories to cheer for for some reason, even of they are largely fabrications. But I digress).

The long and short of it I that the bulk of the money for Delta is coming from the exact same party that would finance any Macross OVA, and it is not one that exerts control or makes demands.

Ultimately, we aren't getting things dealing with the SA or going back to the PD because

(a)it's not what the market wants

(b)it's not something that the bulk of monetize able fans want. But most importantly..

©It's not something that Kawamori is interested in making.

(d)Macross 7 already did it.

This isn't meant as a personal attack on anyone. Macross has many types of fans, which is healthy for the franchise, and it's good to want things.

As always, Im just trying to inject a little reality regarding Macross and its market reality as it stands today iinto the discussion.

I realize studios will produce what the market wants and what is most profitable, I am not nearly as naive as some may want to believe.

"Sponsor Pressure" the only way I can justify the repeated use of 3 songs for nearly a third of M7. The alternative is too demoralizing to consider...

I would be careful not to paint with broad strokes commentary on Western story telling techniques. It is true Hollywood and American audiences love the whole underdog thing, but that does not hold true for all Western cultures. It is like saying Japanese story telling is identical to Korean or Chinese prose. It simply isn't true.

I have not issues with the message, however one must always consider their delivery in diplomatic circumstances, my friend.

I realize studios will produce what the market wants and what is most profitable, I am not nearly as naive as some may want to believe.

"Sponsor Pressure" the only way I can justify the repeated use of 3 songs for nearly a third of M7. The alternative is too demoralizing to consider...

The actual reason is that they used all the funding they got and ended up with only five songs. It was a while before they got to make more. Is that demoralizing...? Edited by Gubaba

Yep, as Gubaba pointed out, the music producer gambled what budget they had on a handful of songs hoping they would be a hit and get them money for new songs.

And that gamble paid off! (Heck, I know 'I' ran out and bought Firebomber singles at the time and remember friends telling me their local Tokyo music stores had sold out!).

So no, no 'Sponsor pressure' involved, sorry.

Far from demoralizing, I found the story to be quite uplifting, but hey to each their own.

As for the 'Western storytelling techniques' comment, I'm sorry but you have completely misunderstood what I wrote.

I was referring to certain fabricated, popularistic narratives BY CERTAIN PEOPLE IN THE WESTERN PRESS (ie, the English speaking internet) for NEWS stories about the role of sponsors and production committees. THIS is where I thought your unfounded theories regarding the role of sponsors in the creation of Macross may have come from. Apparently I was wrong and you didn't get the reference.

Sorry about that.

Edited by Tochiro

You also have to take into account that the show aired once a week, people had dialup Internet, and Super VHS.

Even getting about 4 episodes per VHS tape is different than listening to it only on broadcast.

I've never understand why so many members on this forum want an anime about the Supervision Army.

It's a feckin' footnote in Macross history and IMO not a very interesting one at that.

And the main strike against a historical anime set in Supervision Army times is that we wouldn't see any new Valk designs!!!!!

Graham

I've never understand why so many members on this forum want an anime about the Supervision Army.

It's a feckin' footnote in Macross history and IMO not a very interesting one at that.

And the main strike against a historical anime set in Supervision Army times is that we wouldn't see any new Valk designs!!!!!

Graham

Also, we had one. Macross 7's Varuta are essentially the Supervision Army (both being enslaved drones) using U.N. Spacy and Protoculture tech. Any backstory would involve the same drones scanning and attacking Zentradu.

Also, we had one. Macross 7's Varuta are essentially the Supervision Army (both being enslaved drones) using U.N. Spacy and Protoculture tech. Any backstory would involve the same drones scanning and attacking Zentradu.

Except the Varauta isn't the Supervision Army.

Check the timeline. The war between the Zentradi and Supervision Army did not go into full swing until the Stellar Republic was dissolved, which was 127 years after the Protodevlin were sealed.

So we can't make the assumption we know exactly the condition of the Supervision Army.

These guys gave Earth the Macross albeit it was a ticking timebomb meant for Zentradi.

At least for me, the reason for wanting to know more about the Supervision Army is to know what the Zentradi have been fighting all this time. Millia & Chlore are 2 of the greatest Aces with many many kills. But who did they kill? The Zentradi war machine has been fighting for hundreds of thousands of years, but fighting who? If you take the DYRL movie it has been Zentran VS Meltran, but that doesn't jive with then TV series. But then we also have to deal Macross's Schroedingers Background so who knows what is REALLY going on. Maybe they have been fighting Gordon Schumway's people from Melmack?

While we are hoping & dreaming, how about this for an idea (^_-)

We know from M7 & Macross the Ride that they have Civillian ownership of VFs & Destroids. We know from Frontier that they have Mecha training schools/clubs/academies. Picture this, an all girls school for the Moe trend. They are in a band, but also piloting older mecha, say the Destroids that we haven't seen in awhile. They could fight other schools in a turnement or something.

It could be called Girls and Destroids, D-On!

No wait, the title needs something exotic...German? no... I know they could throw in some Zentradi...

Call it Girls te Destroids, D-On! or Meltrans te Destroids, D-On!

I need to do some photoshoping at some point...

I would not be interested in a story about the Supervision Army told in Macross Delta. However, I think I can explain my interest in that aspect of the Macross fiction in a context that might help folks like Graham understand why some fans would want to see such a story.

I remember when I first watched SDF Macross as a child, I was blown away (at the time) by what I thought was a very sophisticated narrative. Part of that sophistication was the extensive backstory detailing a great galactic history, which provided context for the future history where the TV series would be set. There were numerous interesting histories; the Protoculture, the Supervision Army, the ancient wars. The show introduced all these pieces of history, but when the SDF Macross series was done, I was hungry for more Macross. My imagination was fired up and I started thinking about the world of Macross, daydreaming about the Protoculture, the Supervision Army and wondering what they would be like. Those daydreams stayed with me a long time and I began to think they would make for a great story.

Macross 7 was a failure for me, so I felt It wasted the potential of the Protoculture and the Supervision Army for what amounted to be very disposable villains of the week. The ancient history of the Macross universe was terribly uninteresting when realized in Macross 7. For some fans, they liked what Macross 7 did for the Protoculture/Supervision Army and were thus content. For some fans, they were never compelled by the ancient history in SDF Macross or Macross 7 at all. But for me, those daydreams of the ancient Macross history persisted as did my desire to see a TV series about those stories.

Some years later as an older and more savy viewer, I re-examined the SDF Macross history and realized my younger self was far more impressed with it all than who I had become. I realized the backstory of SDF Macross was just that; backstory. Rich enough to provide context and gravitas for SDF Macross, but there was no compelling narrative in any of that ancient history. For all intents and purposes, a largely blank canvas. I had daydreamed into that ancient history far more than what was actually written by the original creators.

I've no doubt someone COULD write something interesting about the ancient history of Macross. We all know that despite the wave of awful remakes/sequels/reboots we've seen in the larger entertainment market, there have been more than a few great productions we've all enjoyed. But I personally have thought for a long time now that it's just as likely - if not moreso - that a new take on Macross would be far more interesting than revisiting the ancient history of the Macross universe.

Hope that helps.