This went out over Twitter and stumped most of us since this sounded like a cash grab (and likely still is cuz really, they're doing this AGAIN...).

Bz20D6vCIAAJWCy.jpg

But then this came out a few hours later:

Robert Downey Jr. to Join Captain America 3′ (EXCLUSIVE)

And we put the 2 together. So we're likely going down the road of Civil War for #3.

This went out over Twitter and stumped most of us since this sounded like a cash grab (and likely still is cuz really, they're doing this AGAIN...).

*snip*

But then this came out a few hours later:

Robert Downey Jr. to Join Captain America 3′ (EXCLUSIVE)

And we put the 2 together. So we're likely going down the road of Civil War for #3.

YES!

-b.

I assumed, based on the fact Chris Evans only has two more movies, and (what's-his-face, Bucky) is contracted for nine movies that they would pull at least part of that story and kill off Steve so Bucky could take his place. Hell, in Captain America 1 & 2 they've gone out of their way to put the shield in Bucky's hand and make him pose exactly like Cap... unless they feel like handing it over to Falcon now just to keep with the comics instead and that's all a red herring.

So the Civil War storyline? Does that mean Sony will finally allow Spiderman to play with the rest of Marvel?

There's been rumors of Marvel and Sony trying to work something out but nothing to hold your breath about. We also don't know how much of Civil War will be adapted into this movie but it will likely use that story as a basis. They'll likely announce the formal title at SDCC 2015 or early next year.

Yeah, Cap 3 is going to be Civil War in the same way Iron Man 3 was Extremis.

So weak and awful?

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Off-Topic reply: The Ellis written Extremis was amazing and has flat out laid the groundwork for the Iron Man comics and in turn the movie universe. I'm still hoping for better incorporation of how Tony uses/ed the armor post-Extremis. I'd be beyond stoked if they jumped ahead to Bleeding Edge.

On-Topic: Obviously any Civil War inspired story will be different from the comics but I like that Marvel has the stones to tackle the story.

-b.

It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out anyway.

I'm not familiar with what Bleeding Edge is.

Yep, should certainly be interesting.

Bleeding Edge entry; http://marvel.wikia.com/Iron_Man_Armor_Model_38

But essentially Tony was able to tweak or move beyond Extremis and have the Iron Man armor stored inside his body. IMHO it was much cooler than how I just made it sound though... ^_^

-b.

I didn't realize that armor was referred to as Bleeding Edge. I thought the Extremis armor was the one stored inside his body as nanomachines.

Same here, but it's Extremis that made the Bleeding Edge upgrade possible.

Such a huge missed opportunity for the movies, I really hope that they rectify that in Avengers: Age of Ultron.

-b.

So yeah ummmm great Tony Stark has gone from being just a relatively normal dude in power armor to an artificial mutant that can pop armor out of his body like Colossus. :barf:

Seemed like a cool evolution of making him truly "Iron Man" to me, especially as it was explained in the comics (again, I'm not doing a good job at all of selling the idea) but I can see how it loses the appeal of a "really smart guy in a kick ass suit of futuristic armor".

Considering how "evil" they made him I'm interested to see how Marvel is able to evolve the Winter Solider into Captain America. Brainwashing by Hydra or not.

-b.

*edit because apparently I couldn't spell Hydra correctly

Edited by Kanedas Bike

So weak and awful?

Well, what I meant was that Iron Man 3 may have been inspired by Warren Ellis' Extremis story, but the movie was clearly not a straight up adaptation of Extremis. So while Captain America 3 will be inspired by Civil War, with the Cap vs. Iron Man thing and all, I doubt it's going to be the Civil War we read back in 2006/2007.

I keep seeing these 2 collections being thrown around in references and an interview with the Russo brothers from The Winter Soldier press tour. Civil War and Fallen Son. That's probably where they'll be adapting from.

So, when the hell is the whole Thanos/Infinity Gauntlet pay-off gonna take place?

Maybe Guardians of the Galaxy 2?

In Avengers 3? . . . .Which will be AFTER Cap 3/Civil War?

Don't know.

There's been some talk of the Russo Bros. taking the director-reigns for Avengers 3 as Cap 3 may tie directly into Avengers 3. Then Whedon comes back for Avengers 4. It's still up in the air. We're still wondering who's taking the role of Dr. Strange for the whole Phase-3 of the MCU.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, we knew this was coming. It's a great story line for the Marvel films and definitely embraces the theme of social commentary that was started with CA: The Winter Soldier.

Agreed.

Also glad that they're going to try and contain this in Captain America as opposed to the story spilling into Avengers. However that means the story and scope will be noticeably compressed.

-b.

The stories all have to be condensed for the films. Like Kevin Feige says, they are the film versions of the same broad strokes of the story from the comics and they have to fit the format of the films.

Very true, but as you can see with the Infinity Stones that theme is being stretched out across multiple films and "phases" - as opposed to the Civil War which looks (for now) to be across only one film.

-b.

Not necessarily. Feige said Black Panther is a big part of Civil War, so that story could be stretched over multiple films without the "group film" to connect them. Marvel could certainly pull it off.

Hey, hey, I don't disagree per say - hence my (for now) since we really don't know what stories or themes the just announced movies will cover. ;)

-b.

• 3 months later...