Hasegawa 1:4000 SDF-1 (DYRL)

CF18

Im currently building the cruiser version of both Hasegawa kits, and I am not at all impressed with the TV SDF-1 .. its REALLY off. So many things from the movie version left as is instead of accurate to the show.

I don't think just the cannons would help. The 'Chest boosters' seem way too big, the Legs have all the DYRL kibble on them that wasn't in the show, the cannons don't have the rounded out notch, and the way they attach to the body behind them is completely different from the TV version. 

Hasegawa is usually so good, i don't know why they did this. 

If I could I'd return this kit to Hasegawa. Probably not getting the storm attacker. it looks like they still used a bunch of DYRL parts

:(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 12:56 PM, lavinrac said:

Im currently building the cruiser version of both Hasegawa kits, and I am not at all impressed with the TV SDF-1 .. its REALLY off. So many things from the movie version left as is instead of accurate to the show.

I don't think just the cannons would help. The 'Chest boosters' seem way too big, the Legs have all the DYRL kibble on them that wasn't in the show, the cannons don't have the rounded out notch, and the way they attach to the body behind them is completely different from the TV version. 

Hasegawa is usually so good, i don't know why they did this. 

If I could I'd return this kit to Hasegawa. Probably not getting the storm attacker. it looks like they still used a bunch of DYRL parts

:(

You're being generous! Even the movie-version SDF-1 cruiser that Hasegawa did looks stiff and lacks the dynamism of the line-art. Frankly, I don't know who was in charge of the Hase SDF-1 projects, but when even the 35 year-old ARII and IMAI kits have better proportions, I think it's safe to say that they're turds with fine details slapped on top. 

See for yourselves how the Storm Attackers compare to the line-art:macloss.jpeg.b1f15a3267a9df0520a21efc386e6f98.jpegNow have a look at the Imai 1/5000 cruiser fortress. Hasegawa would have done well to copy that kit and simply refine the details.

serveimage.jpeg.ff3afe8f7931f00e1960115b3324be50.jpeg

Now don't get me wrong, I think their aircraft kits are the bee's knees! But for some reason, they dropped the ball rather spectacularly on the SDF-1 kits.

Edited by captain america

5 minutes ago, captain america said:

Now don't get me wrong, I think their aircraft kits are the bee's knees! But for some reason, they dropped the ball rather spectacularly on the SDF-1 kits.

I think that with all the 3-D computer design now, we'll never get the organic feel of the original anime magic.

15 hours ago, arbit said:

I think that with all the 3-D computer design now, we'll never get the organic feel of the original anime magic.

I agree with all of this. Hasegawa does great with aircraft, but the SDF-1 is an utter disappointment. As for yamato/arcadia. Yea its beautiful but I don't have that kind of cash lying around. I was hoping these would be an economical alternative since the Yamato/Arcadia looks dull without paint anyhow, but I was dead wrong.

Edit: Oh i just searched HLJ. Looks like Arcadia has a premium finish version. But its ONLY $575. GACK!!!

Edited by lavinrac

Just now, lavinrac said:

Edit: Oh i just searched HLJ. Looks like Arcadia has a premium finish version. But its ONLY $575. GACK!!!

I'm hoping Arcadia Release it as a kit... that'll at least take the edge off enough that I can justify getting one.

8 hours ago, arbit said:

Will there be new photo etch for Attacker mode, or we use the same PE as Fortress?

I was thinking the same thing, anyone know?

17 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

HLJ already charged me for the new SDF-1 kit.

Me too!  I thought HLJ sent you a payment request first instead of automatically charging your PayPal account - at least I don't remember setting that up.

7 hours ago, Kelsain said:

Argh! I hate that.

got my notice as well. Still no movement on the 1D gerwalk, though.

I just wish Hasegawa would publish their ship dates like Bandai, checked online and then decided to not wait until the 14th (60days from oldest) to ship on the offchance it stocked.

2 hours ago, vincemoto7 said:

Me too!  I thought HLJ sent you a payment request first instead of automatically charging your PayPal account - at least I don't remember setting that up.

It's used to be like that before. But they changed how it works now. If you still using Paypal with them, by now you should probably agreed to their paypal billing agreement. It will automatically get the fundings from Paypal whenever the item is ready without you getting a payment request. What change is that, since it's going to automatically charge your Paypal, you can't control anymore which card you want to use everytime you pay them everytime you get payment request before. So think of it like a typical online shop that has your 'Credit Card on File' on hand which they would just charge automatically whatever payment option you put in your preference. That being said, when they rolled out that new payment update, I changed it back to my Credit Card instead. And what I do is I change which Credit Card to use from time to time depend on the item release dates.

So, just looked over the pics on Hobby Search of the kit contents and instruction booklet.

Looks like the Monsters aren't standalone, they're part of the Daedalus.

10502166z6.jpg

HOWEVER! It apparently comes with 60 standalone desdroid Phalanx, Defender, and Tomahawks.

10502166z7.jpg

10 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

More like partial Monsters. 

There are 1/4000 Monsters on Shapeways. Anyone try those?

Edited by arbit

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

So, just looked over the pics on Hobby Search of the kit contents and instruction booklet.

I think it's optional if you want to display it in Daedalus Attack mode. Because at No.37, it's an option if you want the doors opened or closed. The closed ones doesn't have the units in there.

20 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

I think it's optional if you want to display it in Daedalus Attack mode. Because at No.37, it's an option if you want the doors opened or closed. The closed ones doesn't have the units in there.

I think it actually may not fit with the door closed, though obviously won't be able to tell until the kit arrives (in like 2months, due to Private Warehouse).

I think it is cool that they have the other destroids too. That was a nice touch! Thanks for sharing that with us Sanity!  - MT

I was more surprised with the quantity, 20 of each type is more than I'd be able to find spots for.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

• 4 months later...