Animeigo Macross DVD Hubs

jet660

Hi Guys,

I just recently purchase Animeigo's Macross Box 2 and 3 (both used) at F.Y.E this past weekend. I notice several of the discs' hub have a thin hairline crack on it. I know this forum has mention about the cracks before. The discs seems to play just fine right now, but I wonder about later on. Those who have the discs, did you put something over the hub (hub label) or leave it as it is? I will, most likely, replace the DVD covers with something more disc friendly.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have that set, but from all the discussions I have seen here, while the cracks are definitely worrisome.... I don't recall hearing that anybody's discs were ever rendered unplayable. But it doesn't hurt to have precautions.

Thank you for all your replies. Being that these boxes are used, I took a risk having the discs possibly being thrashed or scratched up. Luckily (for better or for worse), having a thin crack on the discs is the only thing I see visible.

@ The Shade - What kind of hub-friendly cases did you get?

There is no product code on the cases, so I have no idea which series/model they are.

If I recall correctly, I think they were just some cheap cases from the dollar store. The important part I considered was that the the disc hubs would certainly be less stressed with these cases than the originals. When I want to release the disc, I hold the disc with one hand, and press slowly the centre part of the case so that no stress is put on the disc hub.

Here's a pic of the case hub holder. Hope that helps.

post-635-0-32732100-1411687821_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

I just recently purchase Animeigo's Macross Box 2 and 3 (both used) at F.Y.E this past weekend. I notice several of the discs' hub have a thin hairline crack on it. I know this forum has mention about the cracks before. The discs seems to play just fine right now, but I wonder about later on. Those who have the discs, did you put something over the hub (hub label) or leave it as it is? I will, most likely, replace the DVD covers with something more disc friendly.

I used "m-lock" DVD cases for all of my DVDs. An interesting thing about the Animeigo box set is that it is unencrypted. So you can easily and even legally make a copy of the DVD. You can therefore have a backup copy that you primarily use for watching. Currently I have all of my stuff digitally backed up then I just stream it to my TV.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen cracks on discs before. I've never seen the cracks get worse. At least not yet. The cracks I've seen are usually inside, meaning you can't physically see the disc split into two sections. There are a bunch of hubs that are probably too stressful on discs. Usually those multi disc holders.

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to follow up. I checked all my discs, and they seem perfectly fine. No cracks. In fact I can see that these particular cases don't really put any stress on the hub once it's locked in. There is plenty of play between the hub snaps and the disc. I think the only time it stresses is when you actually have to push down on the hub to release it. I rarely get into these to watch it. In any case I think I'll just rip them to my hard drive for view pleasure anytime I want. :)

Hi Guys,

Mine are fine,surprised you found two used at FYE. I too got box two and three at FYE brand new and disc one from another store in the same mall and got the remaing two from the website. I wonder are they still in business, since ADV decided to badly dub the series. By the way if you are in need of some extra DVD cases I still got some extra cases I haven't used since I last downloaded Macross Frontier Episodes to watch on my TV.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet