Yup, this is one movie that the critics got completely wrong. X-Men: Apocalypse may not be as good as the two previous installments, but it makes up for its shortcomings with its non-stop action and amazing visuals. Despite not being his best performance, Oscar Isaac plays a very intimidating Apocalypse. The new cast also does a great job, especially Sophie Turner as Jean Grey. And I couldn't agree more with Jubilee...

The Empire Strikes Back is still the best of the Star Wars trilogy.

Oh yeah, this seals the deal on Quicksilver's sequence...

And here's how I rank the film:

X-Men Cinematic Universe

1. Deadpool

2. X-Men: Days of Future Past

3. X-Men: First Class

4. The Wolverine

5. X2

6. X-Men

7. X-Men: Apocalypse

8. X-Men: The Last Stand

9. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

All Marvel Films (Including Icon Comics)

1. The Avengers

2. Iron Man

3. Captain America: Civil War

4. Guardians of the Galaxy

5. Kingsman: The Secret Service

6. Deadpool

7. X-Men: Days of Future Past

8. Captain America: The First Avenger

9. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

10. X-Men: First Class

11. Ant-Man

12. Avengers: Age of Ultron

13. Men in Black

14. The Amazing Spider-Man

15. The Wolverine

16. Kick-Ass

17. Thor

18. Spider-Man 2

19. X2

20. Iron Man 3

21. Blade

22. Spider-Man

23. X-Men

24. The Incredible Hulk

25. Thor: The Dark World

26. Iron Man 2

27. X-Men: Apocalypse

28. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

29. Blade II

30. Men in Black III

31. Spider-Man 3

32. Kick-Ass 2

33. The Punisher (2004)

34. The Hulk

35. Men in Black II

36. X-Men: The Last Stand

37. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

38. Fantastic Four

39. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

40. Blade: Trinity

41. Punisher War Journal

42. The Punisher (1989)

43. Ghost Rider

44. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance

45. Man-Thing

46. Howard the Duck

47. Fant4stic

48. Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

49. Daredevil

50. Elektra

51. Captain America (1979)

52. Captain America II: Death Too Soon

53. Captain America (1990)

54. The Fantastic Four (1994)

Edited by areaseven

i think i liked it more than DOFP. Quicksilver has the best parts again, imo.

just some quick notes...

Is Havoc for sure dead or not because I like him more here than the other movies.

I'm leaning on the side of jlaw "phoning it in" need to see again...

I don't like Munn much, but she was fine for her part.

Storm was completely under utilized

Last fight scene again felt like a set, and fights were meh. Best "fight" scene imo would still probably go to nightcrawler's intro in x2.

*edit

Costume trolled

Edited by Negotiator

Questions:

1. As a former Nazi concentration camp survivor, why did Erik settle down in Poland, of all places?

2. I know that Havok's powers are lethal, but is destroying the Blackbird's engine enough to blow up the entire X-Mansion? Also, wouldn't the walls of the Cerebro hallway be resistant enough? after all, it used to be a fallout shelter.

3. Why did Stryker take Moira along with Beast, Mystique, and Quicksilver?

4. Cyclops, Jean, and Nightcrawler teleported into the helicopter carrying Beast, Mystique, Quicksilver, and Moira, but ended up in a cage that dampened their mutant powers. How did they get away once they arrived at the Weapon X facility, especially since Nightcrawler's teleportation power emits a foul odor? Furthermore, why didn't they take the unconscious X-Men with them?

5. In order for Apocalypse to acquire Professor X's powers, he would have to transfer his soul into Charles' body. Wasn't he aware that Charles is crippled? Didn't he have a more sensible means to steal Charles' powers?

Questions:

1. As a former Nazi concentration camp survivor, why did Erik settle down in Poland, of all places?

2. I know that Havok's powers are lethal, but is destroying the Blackbird's engine enough to blow up the entire X-Mansion? Also, wouldn't the walls of the Cerebro hallway be resistant enough? after all, it used to be a fallout shelter.

3. Why did Stryker take Moira along with Beast, Mystique, and Quicksilver?

4. Cyclops, Jean, and Nightcrawler teleported into the helicopter carrying Beast, Mystique, Quicksilver, and Moira, but ended up in a cage that dampened their mutant powers. How did they get away once they arrived at the Weapon X facility, especially since Nightcrawler's teleportation power emits a foul odor? Furthermore, why didn't they take the unconscious X-Men with them?

5. In order for Apocalypse to acquire Professor X's powers, he would have to transfer his soul into Charles' body. Wasn't he aware that Charles is crippled? Didn't he have a more sensible means to steal Charles' powers?

1. Especially considering that during the 80's it was still a Soviet controlled country.

2. Bryan Singer is a bad director

3. Bryan Singer is a bad director

4. Bryan Singer is a bad director

5. Apocalypse already posses the ability to heal himself and his powers transfer to the next host so he should be fine.

My wife and I liked it and give it an 8/10.

Loved Weapon-X, Quicksilver's scenes, Phoenix, the relationship between Moira and Charles, Apocalypse vs Charles, and the ending costumes.

Nice Mr. Sinister reveal.

We will gladly watch the next X-men movie when it comes out.

Knight Rider!

Edited by sh9000

Just saw it.

I can understand why critics are lambasting the movie. But if you're a fan of the comics, know a little bit about each of the featured X-Men, and know about Apocalypse, you'll probably appreciate it more than most.

It's an Apocalypse story, so you kinda know the major story beats already: Apocy wakes up, gathers his Four Horseman, let's loose all hell, and then the X-Men and/or X-Factor ;) try to stop him.

I will say the final version of Apocalypse we see (and hear) on the big screen is much more improved than the one we initially saw in the trailer.

Overall, I enjoyed the film

* especially for FINALLY seeing the real, genuine, burning-bird Phoenix in all her glory;

* That well done intro battle (Ancient Egyptian Four Horseman > than 80's Horseman);

* Wolvie going full-on berzerker rage, complete with significant bloodshed; and

* The logical reason they provided for the black jumpsuits.

Things I didn't like though:

* Considering the timeline for these past three movies, most of the characters look kinda young-ish. For example, how old is Havok in this film?! He was a teen during the Cuban Missile Crisis. He was in his 20's during Days of Future Past/Vietnam War. So, he should be in his mid-30's in 1983. But he looks more like a guy in his late 20's.

* If I was Moira, I'd be royally pissed at Charles for blocking all those memories.

* If you stop to think about it, Apocalypse's plan is a little hokey. Plus, he should have picked a couple of better horsemen than Psylocke and Angel.

* I understand why Mystique stayed in human form for story purposes. But part of me was thinking, "Yeah, Jennifer Lawrence probably had enough pull to minimize the time she had to spend in full-on Mystique make-up."

* Seriously Quicksilver, just tell Magneto that you're his son.

* Other than looking like a child of the 80's, couldn't they have shown Jubilee using her powers once?

As for your question A7:

I seriously doubt Poland has much love for Nazi-Germany. Plus, with the US Government hunting him down, Magneto probably figured it was best to hide in a Communist country. Cold War was still in full-effect back then.

Lastly, thank you for the meta-joke:

The third movie WAS the most disappointing.

And having Jean Grey be the one to say that? Priceless!!

Edited by Mog

http://pulse.hasbro.com/en-us/news/article?article=x_men_marvel_legends_series_6_inch___snikt

I'm buying a case of the Marvel Legends X-Men wave: Wolverine, Deadpool, Cable, Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde with Lockheed, Iceman, Havok, and Rogue with BAF Juggernaut. Can't wait.

Hmm, that's a new body mold for Wolverine. I wonder if the claws will work as well as on the previous figures? Nice touch having swappable hands with sheathed claws as well. I'm not digging the Juggernaut head sculpt though.

Just back from seeing the film and enjoyed it. I think I liked it more as a Fan of the source material and not because I think it's great. It has a ton of faults but if you have liked the two previous films in the installment then you will like this one. Singer continues to falter with action sequences as I felt they were dull and unimaginative. If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to hang around after the credits.

Edited by Golden Arms

Here's how the franchise stands so far.

Box Office Gross (Worldwide)

1. X-Men: Days of Future Past - US$763 million

2. Deadpool - US$748 million

3. X-Men: The Last Stand - US$459 million

4. The Wolverine - US$414 million

5. X2 - US$407 million

6. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - US$373 million

7. X-Men: First Class - US$353 million

8. X-Men - US$296 million

9. X-Men: Apocalypse - US$141 million (and counting)

Critical Reception (Rotten Tomatoes)

1. X-Men: Days of Future Past - 91%

2. X-Men: First Class - 87%

3. X2 - 86%

4. Deadpool - 83%

5. X-Men - 81%

6. The Wolverine - 70%

7. X-Men: The Last Stand - 58%

8. X-Men: Apocalypse - 48%

9. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 38%

Critical Reception (Metacritic)

1. X-Men: Days of Future Past - 74

2. X2 - 68

3 (tie). X-Men: First Class - 65

3 (tie). Deadpool - 65

5. X-Men - 64

6. The Wolverine - 60

7. X-Men: The Last Stand - 58

8. X-Men: Apocalypse - 52

9. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 40

Shame that X-Men: The Last Stand has higher ratings than X-Men: Apocalypse. Critics these days don't understand.

Wave 2 should've included Psylocke and or Magik as the last versions were SDCC exclusives and they have since redone the female bucks. Also love to see Siyrn, Dani Moonstar, AHAB, Bastion, Rachel Summers as Dark Phoenix, Sebastian Shaw, Professor X with Hover chair.

I'll be cherry picking the figures.

Those numbers just feel so wrong imo. Almost like someone just pulled those stats right out of their ass.

I guess I'll be going to see it in a few hours, not entirely in the mood too but may as well cause I have nothing else to really do.

Saw it last night on a friend's urging, and... Well. It wasn't the worst way to spend $12, but there were certainly other, infinitely better, options showing around the same time.

I don't know what it is about X-Men, but every movie in the franchise has consistently been able to be slightly below average to dismal, with First Class being the sole bright spot. And this movie continues that trend spectacularly, by which I mean it was all sorts of bland and boring.

The one thing that stood out to me right off the bat was how second-rate the directing and script-writing were. It felt like watching a late 90s-early 00s TV show, with made-for-TV camera shots and made-for-TV dialogue. It boggles my mind that Bryan Singer has somehow become synonymous with "the good X-Men movies" when the only good one was First Class, directed by Matthew Vaughn. Singer doesn't know how to direct action, and he doesn't know how to direct group scenes, and for four movies now he's been tasked with doing both at the same time, and they've consistently proven to be average at best.

The characters all universally suck. Charles sucks, Magneto sucks, Mystique sucks. They're boring. In First Class they were personifications of sociopolitical ideas - Charles = integration, Erik = revolution, Hank and Raven = openly out vs. closeted, etc. - and the interplay between them was all very fun and intellectually stimulating. Here, that all gets replaced by simplistic, vapid family dynamics. Literally everyone is motivated in some way by family, and it's the dumbest, most shallow type of family motivation you can think of.

And what makes it worse is that almost all of this has been done before and better within its own franchise. They had a chance to take the "X-Men as gay community" exploration to the next level, but just decided to retread everything from X1 and on. They revealed the Phoenix just like they did in X2/3 because of course they had to. They went to the Weapon X facility because of course.

My expectations for this franchise keep sinking lower and lower, and yet they continue to find new ways to disappoint. I wouldn't even have gone to see this one if it hadn't been for a particularly insistent friend, ever the optimist that he is. There's still so much potential for this franchise, and with each movie it's more and more disappointing that Fox simply do not understand what they are missing out on.

...the way Psylocke just sort of says, "Well, that's that," and walks away at the end was the ultimate badass thing to do, though. I rank it as the single perfectly in-character thing that the movie does.

I can certainly see where x-men could do a lot with similarities to social issues surrounding homosexuality but does that mean it has to? Sounds a lofty expectation for a popcorn action flick.

It certainly isn't REQUIRED to be sociopolitical commentary, but homosexuality and LGBTQ specificity does seem like an inextricable theme owing to X-Men being, well, X-Men. The franchise was always a fictional representation of the LGBTQ community as much as it was popcorn action flick (or, rather, popcorn action comic).

And it's not like it has to be blatant about it. The comics wouldn't have become as popular as they are if they had been. First Class (yes, I will keep coming back to it) had a lot of social commentary in it, both in regards to LGBTQ discrimination in particular and social inequity/inequality in general, but it wove that commentary into the movie such that it could coexist peacefully with a summer action blockbuster.

But really, my knock against the movie has less to do with "it's not LGBTQ enough" and more to do with "it didn't do anything new and/or interesting with anything."

I can certainly see where x-men could do a lot with similarities to social issues surrounding homosexuality but does that mean it has to? Sounds a lofty expectation for a popcorn action flick.

It certainly isn't REQUIRED to be sociopolitical commentary, but homosexuality and LGBTQ specificity does seem like an inextricable theme owing to X-Men being, well, X-Men. The franchise was always a fictional representation of the LGBTQ community as much as it was popcorn action flick (or, rather, popcorn action comic).

And it's not like it has to be blatant about it. The comics wouldn't have become as popular as they are if they had been. First Class (yes, I will keep coming back to it) had a lot of social commentary in it, both in regards to LGBTQ discrimination in particular and social inequity/inequality in general, but it wove that commentary into the movie such that it could coexist peacefully with a summer action blockbuster.

But really, my knock against the movie has less to do with "it's not LGBTQ enough" and more to do with "it didn't do anything new and/or interesting with anything."

Not so much LGBTQ, as an allegory for civil rights. Remember the X-Men was a franchise born out of 1960's sociopolitical ideology. As for your last point, it did do something new and/or interesting in that it kept closer to the source material than any of the others (excluding first class and Days of Future Past). Days of Future Past actually reconciled the original trilogy of the franchise with the source material and First Class gave DOFP the backdrop to do so. X-2 was kinda meh, and X-3 was awful, and I don't really want to acknowledge Origins. Then First Class and the wolverine came along and revamped my interest, and then DOFP and Apocalypse now generally have me excited for more X-Men movies.

I've been getting kind of burnt out on Superhero Movies, as that really seems to be all there is that's in my realm of preference these days...

Not so much LGBTQ, as an allegory for civil rights.

Bit of both, I'd say. Certainly the movies have tended to veer more towards LGBTQ-specific issues than general civil rights ones. ("Have you tried NOT being a mutant?") Bryan Singer and Ian McKellen are both gay, which likely played a part in that trajectory.