This film was first mentioned on the Worst Science Fiction Film of All Time II thread a couple of weeks ago, but apparently, Universal Pictures is dead serious about rebooting their Monsters franchise. Dracula Untold is yet another retelling of Bram Stoker's legend of the famed vampire. Directed by Gary Shore, the film stars Luke Evans (Owen Shaw in Furious 6, Apollo in Clash of the Titans) as Vlad the Impaler, along with Sarah Gadon (Helen in Enemy), Dominic Cooper (Howard Stark in Captain America: The First Avenger, Henry Sturges in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter), and Charles Dance (Benedict in Last Action Hero, Dr. Clemens in AlienĀ³).

The film opens on October 14.

is still the better Dracula.

Dracula Untold @ IMDb

Yeh. "Untold" is perfectly fitting--cause nobody should want to hear this bewl-sh*t! Rubbish. <_<

Hey! I can do it too! Let's take some more creative license with Bram Stoker's character and works, and what he may or may not have said. He just rolled over in his grave, said: Y'all would wanna get off my nutsack! Make up your own sh*t, bit*hes!

The trailer gives me that Van Helsing vibe. Man that film sucked.

I liked Van Helsing, honestly. I admit it was ridiculously stupid all around, though.

Hey! I can do it too! Let's take some more creative license with Bram Stoker's character and works, and what he may or may not have said. He just rolled over in his grave, said: Y'all would wanna get off my nutsack! Make up your own sh*t, bit*hes!

Or at least borrow more than the name next time.

• 3 weeks later...

The Vampire genre has spawned far more than its fair share of cinematic turds over the decades, so it does not surprise me in the least that this new take on Dracula is just another entry in that long line of garbage. Of course, nothing in recent memory has reached the depths of unwatchable insipid crap achieved by the Twilight series of movies... utter pablum that make Van Helsing and Queen of the Damned screen like masterpieces by comparison.

The Vampire genre has spawned far more than its fair share of cinematic turds over the decades, so it does not surprise me in the least that this new take on Dracula is just another entry in that long line of garbage. Of course, nothing in recent memory has reached the depths of unwatchable insipid crap achieved by the Twilight series of movies... utter pablum that make Van Helsing and Queen of the Damned screen like masterpieces by comparison.

Does it turn Vlad the "Impaler" in to a decent human being who had to become a monster for the greater good, or is he the impaler before he gives up his human life.

I know next to nothing about Castlevania so that guy is wrong off the bat.

I know more than I should about Castlevania, but nothing about Lords of Shadow. So that's two of us.

But "not as bad as I thought it was going to be" sounds like damning with faint praise to me.

I never got why people cared about tension, it is possible for someone who has never been informed of Dracula to watch this movie and be surprised about what happens.

I don't think it actually IS possible, as it requires someone to have never heard of Dracula. The number of people that have not heard of Dracula AND have access to modern cinema is... rather slim. There may be one, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Anyways, a story is a lot less fun if you already know how it ends, and just about everyone knows how this one ends.

I never got why people cared about tension, it is possible for someone who has never been informed of Dracula to watch this movie and be surprised about what happens.

I have to use an example of something else. I *KNEW* exactly what would happen in Apollo 13 - and yet the ending to that was one of the best bits of tension in a movie I have ever seen. The same goes for Dracula as well, a master movie maker can make it very suspenseful.

I don't think it actually IS possible, as it requires someone to have never heard of Dracula. The number of people that have not heard of Dracula AND have access to modern cinema is... rather slim.

Also, how do you get through the month of October without knowing who he is these days?

It was exactly what I thought it would be. It has its' faults but I was still entertained. I didn't watch the reviews posted before I saw it, but also got a castlevania vibe from it while watching it...which I don't think is a bad thing. Would like to see a ridiculous sequel.