• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Phew. I'm guessing no one here saw this this weekend? I just got back, and I gotta say, if you don't see this...

...you won't miss much. It's not bad, it's not particularly good, its just here to do its job and collect a paycheck. It's made the leap completely from grounded, speculative science fiction to loose sci-fi fantasy, even more so than the last movie. It doesn't do anything that the earlier movies haven't already done. It continues the last movie's trend of finally executing on plot ideas that had been bandied about for decades now...

motorcycles with raptors last movie, military combat dinosaurs and worldwide dinosaur proliferation this movie

...but also continues the last movie's trend of not doing so very intelligently, instead favoring mass appeal.

Oh well. It is what it is. You'll probably enjoy it if you see it, but your life won't be any poorer if you don't.

Yeah, it had a couple good parts, but was pretty schlocky & terrible for most of it. I can’t do spoiler tags on my phone, so I’ll keep it vague:

There’s a sub plot in this movie about one of the new characters that could have given it a different and unique angle, if they had taken the time to explore it. As it was, it was danced around and briefly acknowledged, but it felt like much of this subplot ended up on the cutting room floor.

Saw it the other day and I really liked it. It's not Oscar worthy, but I was in no way looking for that. What it is is a fun ride with likable characters and a couple neat little twists that I hope will be expanded upon in the next one. It also fleshes out the pre-history of the series, giving a further idea of how Hammond got started on this. And considering how many movies there are, what happened at the end was bound to happen anyway.

Spoiler

Though wild dinos being out in the world had already happened at the end of J3, with the three pterodactyls flying off into the clouds at the end of that one.

I'm interested to see where they take it from here.

Now that I've got the full version up...

Spoiler

I think the cloned girl (I don't even remember her name?) part of the story could have been a really interesting angle. It feels like a lot of this got cut in favor of MOAR DINOS! But it seems like it was supposed to mirror Malcolm's bookend proclamations, and the existence of the dinosaurs themselves, with her "They're alive, like me." rescue at the end. It puts a human face on the "they died already, do they deserve a second chance?" debate that's been going on since the first movie and comes to a head in this one. Plus, I think she also mirrors the Indoraptor, as a form of biological wish fulfillment, that has trouble adjusting to the world because it doesn't have the proper support in place. They both "need a mother" per Henry Wu, they're both fairly wild, clever, and strong-willed. The final confrontation is mainly the Indoraptor's effort to get her - everyone else is in the way. If they had explored this plot more in the film, it could have really set up an interesting bond/rivalry between them.

Another thing I disliked about the film was the callback to the original Brachiosaurs scene at the dock. That was sad enough, but the silhouette of it doing the stand made me a little angry. That scene in the original JP still gives me goosebumps 25 years later. It is a seminal moment in film for me, and one which literally changed the course of my life. When I finally watched it with my daughter last weekend, I even got a bit teary as she experienced it for the first time - letting out a quiet, breathy "wow." Messing with that scene... I don't want to seed this thread with foment from another historic franchise, but it made me think of another recent divisive franchise film.

Saw this and Incredibles 2 over the weekend, not bad, didn't hate it. Hybrid dinos are getting a bit ridiculous now, Indoraptor was a hybrid made from a hybrid, and there's nothing stopping a future movie from putting importance on Indoraptor DNA to create yet another unnecessary hybrid. Loved the use of practical effects more, and the overall dino variety was more interesting then I expected, Baryonyx and Carnotaurus were always two of my favorite carnivores growing up, good to see them get some movie love.

11 hours ago, Thom said:

Hide contents

Though wild dinos being out in the world had already happened at the end of J3, with the three pterodactyls flying off into the clouds at the end of that one.

I'm interested to see where they take it from here.

Spoiler

Dinos in the wild has been a part of it since JP2, movie-wise. And the beginning of the first book, book-wise.

I liked the new film. It’s not a must see, but it’s still fun and less stupid than the last one. The last one was entertaining, but the moment you ask yourself why at any point during the movie it just kills it. This one just felt a bit more reasonable and had a side plot that may be a bigger idea for a possible sequel. So far this has been a great year for fun but dumb movies.2018 will be forever remembered for the high number of check your brain at the door films.

Saw it...it was ok. I don’t get the theme of the movie, though, with needing to save them from extinction because the Island was going to blow up. JP 2 and 3 established there is another island with the dino’s roaming free.

Chris

3 hours ago, Dobber said:

Saw it...it was ok. I don’t get the theme of the movie, though, with needing to save them from extinction because the Island was going to blow up. JP 2 and 3 established there is another island with the dino’s roaming free.

Chris

JP2 and 3 do not exist in this version, only the first movie.

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

JP2 and 3 do not exist in this version, only the first movie.

So when the first film opens they are simply moving what will be the head raptor, from one holding pen to another?  Doesn't the first film make mention, even if only briefly, that the project is several islands with the Park being the largest?  

40 minutes ago, Wolf-1 said:

So when the first film opens they are simply moving what will be the head raptor, from one holding pen to another?  Doesn't the first film make mention, even if only briefly, that the project is several islands with the Park being the largest?  

Yeah there have always been five islands, Las Cinco Muertes, the Five Deaths. We just haven't seen the other three islands in any of the films, only in games, most recently Jurassic World Evolution. 

Trying to make sense of the senseless will only lead to circular reasoning and ultimate insanity.:p  In a real scenario, from the time of Hammond's first park until the 'present', much like Malcolm predicted, many of the dinos, esp those that can swim or fly, would have eventually made it off one of those islands to mainland somewhere. Life finds a way, after all.;)

I saw it last weekend, and, at face value, it's meh. Other than my utter awe at seeing the original film for the first time, seeing those lifelike dinos at a time when they had previously been stop-motion and blue screened, the JP series just hasn't really enthralled me that much. I did like Jurassic World. I don't overthink it.

That said, several things stuck out to me in this movie that caused irritation: 

Spoiler

Scripted Protagonist invincibility: In one instance, a dino is attacking while the good guys are escaping via what looks like a wrought-iron circular staircase, which maintains its integrity just until all the people are clear, and then the dino tears right through it.:rolleyes: In another instance, Pratt and co are escaping up a vertical tunnel, and once again the attacking dino is limited in its reach incrementally in direct proportion to the distance traveled by our intrepid humans, thus always nipping at their heals until all humans are safely out and the dino pokes its head partway out of the tunnel exit. In a real scenario, they would have all been dead before any of them reached the manhole cover.  In the Carnotaurus scene, first, amid a stampede of fleeing dinos, Pratt manages not to be flattened by any number of dinos nudging the Gyrosphere about which he is moving, and then when the aforementioned Carny attacks, a T-Rex appears out of no-where, takes out the Carny, and just trots off, despite the tasty hors d'oeuvre just standing there. The whole movie is just full of Scripted Circumstantial Salvations where either a person or dino shows up improbably at just the right moment to save the day. I'm generally not that critical, but it happened so much in this film that it started to erode my enjoyment. 

The too-smart Indoraptor was a bit much, too. And the Stigymoloch's reaction to a whistle- pretty conveniently scripted, that.:rolleyes:

I've read both of Crichton's books, and I don't recall Lockwood's ever being mentioned. It's been about two decades since I read them, so I may just not remember, but it seemed to me they conjured him out of thin air just to facilitate the story. I do like the idea of his grand-daughter being a clone, though. They didn't do much with it, though, besides, as mentioned, using her a as human face for the dinosaurs during a critical moment.

37 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

Yeah there have always been five islands, Las Cinco Muertes, the Five Deaths. We just haven't seen the other three islands in any of the films, only in games, most recently Jurassic World Evolution. 

I don't worry quite that much about it.  I assumed they were packing it from one part of the island to another.  I do not remember any dialog from the scene.

5 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I don't worry quite that much about it.  I assumed they were packing it from one part of the island to another.  I do not remember any dialog from the scene.

In the opening scene, I believe its all low/mumbling Spanish, until the SNAFU and "Shoot her!"; end scene.  The overall mention of the actual project size is mainly found in the throwaway comments from Nedry or SLJ's character and computer moniters. I believe the girl even comes across "Site B" when she is rebooting security.  The birthing scene only throws more confusion into the wind.  

Personally, I say just reboot the whole series and do the entire first book this time; as throwing the missing pieces into the third film was a, "We're already lacking in story + new dino".  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...