Which is kind of ironic, considering how different the movie was from the book.

Yea I'm going to call B.S. on Knight's account since E.R. was already in production and on the air a good year(93-94) before The Lost World novel was even released(95). It was the adaptation of the first book that got E.R. off the ground. Crichton got 1.5 million plus a pecentage of the movie's gross for the film rights plus another 500,000 for the first draft that he sunk into E.R.

I was at a panel with Crichton in the mid 2000s where he spoke about the books and the movies. It it possible that he was mistaken in his timeline, but he did state that it was the studio that insisted on resurrecting Ian Malcolm. In a lot ways he described the development as being like that of 2001 where he had an idea of what he wanted and the director/producer Spielberg a different idea. That might be what he meant by it being more of a script novelization, in that the studio had much more of a hand in it. I'm also trying to remember the specifics of a 10 year old panel here. But Crichton did write the sequel book pretty much all due to the help Spielberg gave him getting ER made.

I was pretty stoked when I saw the first half of the trailer. But by the end... :wacko:

It looks like they're gonna take the 'fridge, launch it into orbit on satanic pinwheels, then nuke it with backpack-missle-firing sharks that are jumping over sharks with lasers. <_< (bloody 'ell, I want a gif of that)

ed: dino genetic-hybrids? Seriously?

1187122.gif

Edited by reddsun1

Well, technically in the book Ingen didn't make actual dinosaurs. They were genetically engineered dino lookalikes so, the hybrid thing isn't so far fetched. I just don't dig the whole, it's some super-intelligent killing machine and Ingen is like "We dunn goofed." :huh:

Edited by Shadow

Well, technically in the book Ingen didn't make actual dinosaurs. They were genetically engineered dino lookalikes so, the hybrid thing isn't so far fetched. I just don't dig the whole, it's some super-intelligent killing machine and Ingen is like "We dunn goofed." :huh:

Deep Blue Sea

-b.

Westworld...

Also written by Chrichton.

Also a really good movie.

Aren't they doing a new TV show based off of that (HBO IIRC)?

I think that Jurassic World will be entertaining, in a popcorn movie sort of way and with that there will be tons of plot holes and problems with the story with which to make fun of.

-b.

Of the 3 movies, the one I really didn't like was the second one. The third one is my favorite, though. I was hoping for pteranodons in the original movie (which, sadly, didn't have any), but I got my wish in JP III.

Not sure how I feel about the genetic hybrid thing, but I'll probably still watch it on HBO even if Jurassic World receives poor reviews.

Of the 3 movies, the one I really didn't like was the second one. The third one is my favorite, though. I was hoping for pteranodons in the original movie (which, sadly, didn't have any), but I got my wish in JP III.

Yeah, the missing pterodactyl cage was my biggest letdown with the first movie and I was glad to see they rectified it somehow.

The third movie was pretty much just a collection of every dinosaur scene from the previous two books that hadn't made it to the screen. Which is not an unenjoyable premise, but... it lacked a soul. The first movie will always be my favorite.

Yeah, the missing pterodactyl cage was my biggest letdown with the first movie and I was glad to see they rectified it somehow.

The third movie was pretty much just a collection of every dinosaur scene from the previous two books that hadn't made it to the screen. Which is not an unenjoyable premise, but... it lacked a soul. The first movie will always be my favorite.

Yeah, I have to agree that JP III just didn't have the same "magic" as the original film. The number of dinosaurs sort of makes up for it, though. I like that the raptors got the most focus, though. Crichton's novels always paints them in visceral, vivid detail as creatures that deserve your respect and fear more than even T-Rex.

Incidentally, I started reading Jurassic Park and The Lost World again after over a decade, and it's just as good after so long. In some ways, I like the books more than the movies (which is almost always the case with live-action adaptations, I guess).

If dinosaur parks were real, how many of you would go knowing the dangers from watching these movies?

I think the raptors were friendly and were helping Pratt defeat the new hybrid.

In the Jurassic movie universe the parks are real and horrible places of disaster and people still go to them. They over ran one park and didn't a T-Rex get lose in a city once?

You'd think they'd learn not to open another dinosaur amusement park.

I could never get over zombie Malcom.

The first book is pretty unambiguous. He's dead in the end, they are trying to get the government to let them bury his body.

Then the second book rolls around and he gets better somehow.

I don't remember anything about trying to bury him. The only thing I recall was Ellie giving a throw away line that she thinks Ian was dead while talking to the others over the radio. I may be wrong, or I read a revised version, or maybe its just been so long since I read it?

"But this time we'll do it RIGHT!"

Why does that remind me of when Homer Simpson changed his name to "Max Power".

You would think after 3 movies, they would learn not to screw with nature... In movie world, nature screws you.

I don't remember anything about trying to bury him. The only thing I recall was Ellie giving a throw away line that she thinks Ian was dead while talking to the others over the radio. I may be wrong, or I read a revised version, or maybe its just been so long since I read it?

Epilogue of the first book.

The Costa Rican government is blocking his burial. Apparently some crazy shiznit happened on an island they leased to some wealthy american, they're VERY upset about it all.

Last time I had this discussion with someone, it turned out they had the "Jurassic World" anthology, and for SOME REASON said anthology omitted the original book's epilogue.

But the existence of the park is based on the business of messing with nature...

You'd think they'd learn not to open another dinosaur amusement park.

Just like any entertainment production, it's cheaper to make it once you enter the pre-production stage. If you cancel it, then you're going to be too deep in debt with your investors. Research Spiderman:Turn Off the Dark

Hits my nostalgia buttom pretty hard the moment I see those doors. To CG looking though (sorry, I know that is the number one Internet bitching right now, but I call them like I see them).

The mosquito that sucked blood from that huge marine reptile deserves a statue.

Not sure how I feel about the genetic hybrid thing, but I'll probably still watch it on HBO even if Jurassic World receives poor reviews.

I still don't understand why everyone hates the second movie so much. Yeah, it's not as good as the first, but I still love both movies. IMO the third one is the only one that I'm not super in love with, mostly because they kill of the main character in the first like 5 minutes on the island which is utter bullshit.