Destroid Tomahawk WIP

3D-Brainx

Ha! Thanks guys for the comments. I'll eventualy do them all, given me the free time to do so. The destroids are easy in terms of geometry, and they share the same lower part, so it's not that hard to do them all. I do have other thing in mind first (like finishing the YF-21 and finally get down with the yf-19)
As for enemy mecha, I already did the Glaug a few years back and I have the sv-51 in mind for the future. Which one you had in mind?

Edited by 3D-Brainx

Ha! Thanks guys for the comments. I'll eventualy do them all, given me the free time to do so. The destroids are easy in terms of geometry, and they share the same lower part, so it's not that hard to do them all. I do have other thing in mind first (like finishing the YF-21 and finally get down with the yf-19)

As for enemy mecha, I already did the Glaug a few years back and I have the sv-51 in mind for the future. Which one you had in mind?

Ooooh, the SV-51, one of the most under appreciated and rare valks in terms in CG modelling.

I have yet to find a fan made CG model that does the fighter justice.

Edited by Zinjo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lol! come on, it's everyone favourite part...., wait, are we still talking about valks?

Sorry guys, but no update, I've been busy..., well, becoming a father for the second time. I haven't started my pc for over 10 days now. This might take some time.

:huh: S'cuse me?!! :huh:

Don't be coy, Zinjaculation. You're just as filthy as the rest of us, specially with a name like that :p:D

Lol! come on, it's everyone favourite part...., wait, are we still talking about valks?

Sorry guys, but no update, I've been busy..., well, becoming a father for the second time. I haven't started my pc for over 10 days now. This might take some time.

CONGRATULATIONS! Another Macross fan to be :)

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Great works. You are adding much more details to it than any linearts can provide.

Thanks! I always try to add something, you can call it..., artist signature :p

Could you describe in general terms how you're making the materials/textures for this?

Sure!

After the unwrap is done, I render ambient occlusion maps using different dirt maps, that gives me a base for the dirt and scratches.

Here's an example:

post-14893-0-08305800-1453682565_thumb.jpg

Then is just playing in Photoshop. I use a base color and different metal textures in different blending mode to take this:

post-14893-0-17744900-1453682532_thumb.jpg

and turn it into this:

post-14893-0-97184800-1453682542_thumb.jpg

That's the base color. Then is just a matter of adding markings and the dirt maps.

post-14893-0-43116200-1453682559_thumb.jpg

For the material, well, that would be too long, but it's basically a blend between two materials, a very bright base metal material, and the one with the texture. I then use a scratch mask to blend them:

post-14893-0-78477400-1453682572_thumb.jpg

That's good. May be on your model dirt would look better than scratches, since is not a blocky robot like the tomahawk.

Let me see if I got this.

You create an Ambient Occlusion map, which you invert and add Dirt and/or Scratches. Then you create the base texture and create a bare metal texture.

Then you invert the Ambient Occlusion map and add scratches?

Then you use the Ambient Occlusion map as a mask to let the bare metal through.

Is that right?

Let me see if I got this.

You create an Ambient Occlusion map, which you invert and add Dirt and/or Scratches. Then you create the base texture and create a bare metal texture.

Then you invert the Ambient Occlusion map and add scratches?

Then you use the Ambient Occlusion map as a mask to let the bare metal through.

Is that right?

Yes. I invert the ambient occlusion directly in the software (in my case, 3dsmax and vray, it has an option to invert it). I don't add the dirt/scratches after I render the map, I use different dirt/scratches maps in the radius or occluded channels in the shadder directly. So once you have the bare metal texture it's just a matter of adding those maps in multiply. Different dirt/scratches maps will give you different maps to blend and play around, just use different levels of opacity. You can add a levels to the dirt maps to better define edges (all this on PS of course)

The map I use to mask the metal needs to be very contrasted, so I usually use levels in PS. If not, you will just get a wired blend between the bare metal and the color one.

But basically, yes to all you said.