Macross Loves Lost!/Past Regrets

macster1971

This forum has caused me to remember my first Sortie into the Wonderful World of Collecting Macross Merchandise,

When I were a young Lad, Mamy Many years ago, I would scoure the lands looking for Valkyrie Toys which even back in the Late Eighties and Early Nineties was something of in Impossible task to find any in the UK, On rare occasions I might find a battered of damaged Transformers Jet Fire toy or maybe even a totally destroyed Takatoku Valk,

But on one magical Summer's day at a Car Boot sale I happened to come across Not One but Two MIB Takatoku VF-1S's for which I paid the princely sum of £4.00

UK Pounds Each!

Happy Days Indeed, However a couple of years down the line in an unexplainable M.O.M. (Moment of Madness) I stupidly sold them on for about £20:00 each!

I was just curious if anyone else has had similar regrets about lost Macross Treasures.

Back when I was a kid I remember looking at the 1/55 elintseekers and super ostrich for $50 and thinking , who would buy those ugly looking things that don't even have weapons.(while looking at my just purchased strike valkyrie).

almost a decade ago i had 2 yammie 1/48s in the trunk of my car as i was in the process of moving. the new area proved to be a little more rough than where i was living previously. someone broke into my car and stole both yammies out of the trunk. those were the only 1/48s i've ever owned.

Didn't buy Yamato's V2 Supa Ostrich because of the shoulder issue back then. I just waited and waited and there are still very little signs of a re-up by Arcadia. Since then we have the Shapeways fix and I still can't get the Ostrich @ MSRP. Thusly my tale of Valk-cockblock is sung. :(

One evening in 1990 I was with friends and had too much to drink visiting a mall in the Philippines. My friends and I saw a Hikaru and Roy Bandai Strike Valkyrie in the window of a store and we agreed to come back the next day to buy it. The mall was so huge that the next day we could not remember our way and could not find the store and had to fly back home the next day, To this day I still can't believe I was to drunk the night before to forget how to get to the store. That is why I have all the DYRL Valkyries in v2 1/60 now.

When the original SDF-Macross was first aired in my country the Philippines in the mid '80's, I desperately wanted to get a vf-1 toy. I remember looking longingly at the 1/55 Strike Valkyrie, Elintseeker and Super Ostrich at this small toy shop, and hoped that one day, my parents or grandparents would find it in their hearts to get me one. No such luck however, since even then, these things cost a fortune. The closest I ever got to a 1/55 was when rich friends at school brought theirs over for show and tell.

I remember making my own valks out of cardboard just so that I'll have one to play with (I actually made a LOT of toys out of cardboard for myself those days, since toys - especially Japanese made ones - were considered high-end luxury items).

I've never lost my love for Macross however, and as a grown man with a steady income, I'm now able to purchase these relics from my childhood. And even though I never got to own a 1/55, I look at my shelf behind me at my office, with my 1/60 Yammies and Bandai DXes and consider myself blessed. :-)

One evening in 1990 I was with friends and had too much to drink visiting a mall in the Philippines. My friends and I saw a Hikaru and Roy Bandai Strike Valkyrie in the window of a store and we agreed to come back the next day to buy it. The mall was so huge that the next day we could not remember our way and could not find the store and had to fly back home the next day, To this day I still can't believe I was to drunk the night before to forget how to get to the store. That is why I have all the DYRL Valkyries in v2 1/60 now.

Hahah...them beer goggles are somethin else. Maybe the store and Valk never existed at all! You're lucky you didn't end up sleeping with a buttertroll :D

Hahah...them beer goggles are somethin else. Maybe the store and Valk never existed at all! You're lucky you didn't end up sleeping with a buttertroll :D

xrentonx might be on to something, you were so drunk you imagined the store! Be thankful that the buttertroll incident didn't happen. :lol:

As for my story of loss... When i was a kid, I had Takatoku VF-1S w/GBP armor, Bandai Hi-Metal Super Ostrich and a couple of Joke Machines (even as a kid, I kept the boxes). They were my favoite childhood toys. We moved and had to put some of our family belongings into storage. Then one day the storage facility caught fire, all of our stuff along with other peoples stuff was destroyed. :(

Edited by Saburo

xrentonx might be on to something, you were so drunk you imagined the store! Be thankful that the buttertroll incident didn't happen. :lol:

As for my story of loss... When i was a kid, I had Takatoku VF-1S w/GBP armor, Bandai Hi-Metal Super Ostrich and a couple of Joke Machines (even as a kid, I kept the boxes). They were my favoite childhood toys. We moved and had to put some of our family belongings into storage. Then one day the storage facility caught fire, all of our stuff along with other peoples stuff was destroyed. :(

Ouch! How old were you when this happened Saburo? That must have been very traumatic for you.

Ouch! How old were you when this happened Saburo? That must have been very traumatic for you.

Yeah... It was traumatic to lose our family belongings. I was in high school when the the facility burned down, it is depressing to think of my Valks becoming piles of melted plastic. :(

One day, I'll have a 1/60 replacements for the 2 that I lost. :)

Edited by Saburo

Better to have loved a valk and lost, than never to have had a valk at all. :-D

I'm sure you'll find a good deal on a super ostrich and 1S. Your photos have actually tided me over for some of the valks in my want list. :-)

Better to have loved a valk and lost, than never to have had a valk at all. :-D

I'm sure you'll find a good deal on a super ostrich and 1S. Your photos have actually tided me over for some of the valks in my want list. :-)

Haha true. :)

I have added 2 VF-1S (Roy TV ver and Hikaru DYRL Strike). But what's good is a having a fellow MW member who is a friend that has a massive collection of Valks. Valkyrie Magnus has brought over some of his Valks for me to shoot. :D

Glad my photos have helped you. :)

Edited by Saburo

Ah, I guess that's my other regret. I've never had a friend living nearby who's also into Macross stuff as much as I am. One of the joys of being a collector is having another collector appreciate your collection.

In that sense, I'm glad to be a member of the MW forums. :D

Ah, I guess that's my other regret. I've never had a friend living nearby who's also into Macross stuff as much as I am. One of the joys of being a collector is having another collector appreciate your collection.

In that sense, I'm glad to be a member of the MW forums. :D

You never know you may find a MW member who is in your area. I have 2 friends here in that are Macross collectors. There is a bad side to having a fellow collector friend who is close by, they can convince you to buy stuff. I blame Valkyrie Magnus for getting me back into collecting Valks, so for payback I try to convince him to buy more for his collection.

Edited by Saburo

Haha, I guess you're right! But then again, I don't need a friend living close by to influence me into getting Macross stuff. You (esp your photos) and the rest of MW are already doing a pretty good job of that. :lol:

Haha, I guess you're right! But then again, I don't need a friend living close by to influence me into getting Macross stuff. You (esp your photos) and the rest of MW are already doing a pretty good job of that. :lol:

Yep, MW members are really good at that. :D

5 Years ago had to sell my 1/48 collection of 9 valks plus super parts and GBP.... Now a days hurt so much... and well started all over when my oldest son now 13 watched Macross DVD's the other day!! Just bought 5x 1/60's!! Although I miss 1/48 but I am so happy now!

Congratulations Dodiano! You actually reminded me of another regret that I have. I currently only have a daughter (8 years old). And though she showed a passing interest in MF (she likes Sheryl, as expected), she obviously has no interest whatsoever in the valks. :p

For reasons unknown, circa 2007, I had a perfectly fine MIB Yamato 1/48 Folker VF-1S and the matching VF-1 separate strike/super part set. I had been out of the collecting for a bit and didn't think it was worth anything, put it in a box marked "Goodwill" while moving to my new house. Needless to say, but somebody got that for like a $20 spot.

Another would be as a young man of 10 (circa 1990), taking all of my gen 1 Transformers and VF-1S chunky, and playing soft toss with them in my back yard with my brand new aluminum Louisville Slugger bat. Needless to say that my Dad was pissed when the lawn mower ground up a Flintlock arm or a VF booster pack. Got grounded as a result too...damn Louisville Slugger...

A couple years back there was a local convention I had been kicking back and forth between going or not, and I decided 'eh, not worth it, they never have anything good there anyway'

A day or two later I find out somebody was selling a 1/55 Elint balls cheap. Rediculously good deal, the seller clearly had no idea what it was- probably thought it was some unpopular transformer or something.

I'm still kicking myself for not going to this very day.

xrentonx might be on to something, you were so drunk you imagined the store! Be thankful that the buttertroll incident didn't happen. :. :

(

Lol I thought about it too that I imagined it but my friends I was with remember it too but we were all so drunk we couldn't remember the way and we could have just imagined it together.Hahaha my saddest memory but also funniest. Edited by Valkyrie Magnus

Back in the late 90s I had a small but decent little collection of 1/55 valks. I had a Takatoku VF-1S, VF-1J Hikaru, VF-1J Max, GPB-1S, a Milla knockoff (JOONS I believe), and a custom VF-1A brownie. None were in great condition, but they were rugged toys and I liked my little display of them.

Skip to the dot com bubble bursting around 2000 and I found myself out of work, doing odd jobs to make ends meet. I ended up moving twice (to cut costs) and eventually put everything I had in storage and couch surfed for about a year. Eventually things turned around, I got a very good job with a company I've now been with for 10 years eventually bought a house and ended up with a nice little home office/man cave.

I had sort of forgotten about Macross focusing on other collecting (it's a disease, I swear) but recently I got the bug again. The tragedy is that I always assumed my 1/55 valks were nicely boxed away somewhere, but now I can't find them. I talked to one of my friends and he swears I talked about selling them when I was out of work - and I don't doubt that I would have, but I have meticulous email records for eBay going back to the mid 90s and have no evidence I ever did sell them. I moved now 3 times and twice had everything in storage units. I wouldn't be mad if I knew I actually sold them, but it's killing me I really have no clue whatever happened to them.

Oh well, now I just have an excuse to start over with 1/60 valks :)

That would make me upset too akteon! Reminds me I had a Joons Valkyrie in pristine condition. Then my cousin who was at the Art institute says he can repaint it into a Max and make it awesome. He took it apart and started painting so he stopped for a bit. 4 months later I asked and he went back to it and realized he lost half the parts. At least I was able to buy the Bandai reissues

I am actually going through some regret right now! Over the years I have been trying to limit my Macross Valk collection to only what fits in the one large case I owned. So I sold off some Yamato items I didn't have room for since I figured they would just gather dust anyway. With the influx of Bandai Valks, I'm really pushing maximum density in the case. So I'm seriously considering buying another one. Now I realize, if I have two cases, I'd have plenty of room to display what I sold!

So yeah, I'm regretting lightening my load of:

VF-22 Max

VF-22 Gamlin

SV-51 Ivanov

SV-51 Mass production

VF-0A

QF2200D-A Ghost

Queadluun-Rau Max

I got decent money for them. But not enough to justify buying them again at the current prices :(

I've only been in this hobby for a little more than a year but I had my similar experiences. I once highly regretted selling my first 1/60 Hikaru VF-1J (not sure why the h*ll I sold it) and VF-25G Renewal(I felt the price I paid for it was too high, so sold it). After selling them, I felt so remorseful that I always kept a look out for them everywhere. But after a while and with much luck, I managed to get them again! :)

Now, I don't really feel like selling any of my valks unless I have to.

I had a Bandai Koenig Monster once, I'm not sure why I don't regret selling it, It WAS a great toy, especially in the Destroid mode. I think it's just my mind in denial. :ph34r:

Congratulations Dodiano! You actually reminded me of another regret that I have. I currently only have a daughter (8 years old). And though she showed a passing interest in MF (she likes Sheryl, as expected), she obviously has no interest whatsoever in the valks. :p

LOL... I have to add I have never seen frontier cause I know I'LL END UP BUYING ALL OF THEM

Back in the late 90s I had a small but decent little collection of 1/55 valks. I had a Takatoku VF-1S, VF-1J Hikaru, VF-1J Max, GPB-1S, a Milla knockoff (JOONS I believe), and a custom VF-1A brownie. None were in great condition, but they were rugged toys and I liked my little display of them.

Skip to the dot com bubble bursting around 2000 and I found myself out of work, doing odd jobs to make ends meet. I ended up moving twice (to cut costs) and eventually put everything I had in storage and couch surfed for about a year. Eventually things turned around, I got a very good job with a company I've now been with for 10 years eventually bought a house and ended up with a nice little home office/man cave.

I had sort of forgotten about Macross focusing on other collecting (it's a disease, I swear) but recently I got the bug again. The tragedy is that I always assumed my 1/55 valks were nicely boxed away somewhere, but now I can't find them. I talked to one of my friends and he swears I talked about selling them when I was out of work - and I don't doubt that I would have, but I have meticulous email records for eBay going back to the mid 90s and have no evidence I ever did sell them. I moved now 3 times and twice had everything in storage units. I wouldn't be mad if I knew I actually sold them, but it's killing me I really have no clue whatever happened to them.

Oh well, now I just have an excuse to start over with 1/60 valks :)

Do you know that TV show - American pickers, kind of makes you wonder if in fifty years your long lost VALKS will pop up as an antique that are worth a fortune......

SM Megamall? This sounds familiar... Hahaha!

SM Megamall? Then that toy shop would probably have been on the basement floor. Either Filbar's or the toy shop next to it (Comic Alley?). I don't know if Lil's Hobby Shop carried valks, They focus primarily on Tamiya models, RC's and mini 4wds. They did have some Gundams last time I was there. But no valks. I did get my Gundam markers and some modeling tools from there.

Best place to go in the Philippines for exotic high-end Japanese toys have always been Virra Mall and Shoppesville in Greenhills, in San Juan, Manila. The toy shops there are guaranteed to make your eyes pop. :-)

Even I get lost whenever I visit the malls here. And I'm sober most of the time I go there.

Anyway, as for my part, my only regret is missing out on the heyday of Yamato Toys. I've always wanted toys back when I first saw SDFM back in the 80s, but for some reason or another I never got around to buying any.

Edited by abbadon