it's Anno, the ending will be the biggest troll in the history of trolls.

That's why I think 3.33 was the end and there won't be another film. :p

He sure is trolling domestic fans with the third one by blocking Funimation's release citing inaccurate dubs and choosing to redo them himself.

To be fair, the dubs have been crap. Considering he spent a huge chunk to buy the tv series rights from Gainax (Eva now belongs to Khara), i'd be hard pressed to side with anyone claiming that he trolls the fanbase.

As for 3.33, actually sit and watch it again without kneejerk reactions to the differences. What actually is different is small, with the changes holding relevence that won't be known 'til 4.0.

Aside from an early aggression from Gendo (a big move yes), just about everything else parallels with the series

- Everyone hating Shinji.

- Misato and Ritsuko moving against Gendo.

- Rei III.

- Kowaru.

Sure there's the little matters of Third Impact, most of humanity being gone, a Nautilus esque battleship, all of Seele being dead, non-aging pilots, the original Rei's soul being MIA, Misato being at war with Gendo / threatening to explosively decapetate Shinji, etc. But I'm not fully convinced those are true events anyway. If they are, so be it.

"True events?" What, is this a big dream sequence?

Shinji will wake up in class, realizing it was all a dream...

Edited by myk

• 1 month later...

Just wondering, given that GAINAX did the TV series and their theatrical compilations while Khara did the Rebuild films, who really owns the rights to the Evangelion franchise?

Initially, Khara did the newer films as a co-venture with Gainax. From the looks of things, Anno made enough boat loads of cash off the rebuild movies to fully buy the Eva series license away from Gainax. Can't remember where the news story was (think it was anime news network), but you can verify it by checking out the official Eva page (eva.co.jp), and just about any of the new blu-ray box set listings, whch all list the copyright belonging to "カラー" (Khara).

This is probably the reason the tv series was pulled from international distribution.

I wish Anno would buy Macross from Tatsunoko...

Heh. The Shinji that should've been. I will say that for a Michael Bay joint that clip didn't have nearly enough explosions...

Edited by myk

I don't think we can expect the 4th and final Evangelion film anytime soon. Anno is going to be busy with the live action Godzilla 2016 by Toho.

http://variety.com/2015/film/asia/hideaki-anno-and-shinji-higuchi-to-direct-tohos-godzilla-2016-1201464017/

Of course. Because trolling.

In other news, I come back to this thread every day just to watch that Michael Bay Eva video again.

Well, I myself am late to the party, so I used the last two days to watch the first three films (1.11 and 2.22 are actually rewatches from five or so years ago). Here's my analysis of the series so far:

Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone

Essentially a rework of the first six episodes of the original series, the artwork and camera angles are faithfully redone digitally while retaining the original look of the characters. Backgrounds and most of the Angels have been enhanced in 3D animation without going overboard (except maybe Ramiel). The scene of Shinji running away is more dramatic, as we get to see the full extent of Old Tokyo's destruction from the Second Impact. Other than that, it's exactly like watching the series over again, only with much better eye candy.

Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance

This is where the Rebuild series starts to differ from the original series. While it is mainly based on episodes 8, 12, 15, 17-19, the film greatly reduces the presence of majority of the secondary characters by introducing Mari Illustrious Makinami, whose adventurous nature contrasts the characteristics of the other Children. Consequently, Asuka - who was originally a primary focus in this part of the series, takes a backseat halfway when she (instead of Toji in episodes 17-18) is selected to pilot EVA-03 and meets roughly the same fate. The bizarre plot twist toward the end of the film brings forth what would have been the end of the entire Rebuild storyline... until the after credits.

Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo

And now for the story that even most hardcore Evangelion fans were not prepared for. Due to the sheer complexity of this post-apocalyptic story, one viewing simply is not enough. In the 14 years between 2.22 and this film, a lot has obviously changed, yet it's only vaguely explained. In the midst of the neverending conflict between mankind and the Angels, there is now a feud between the remnants of NERV and a breakaway group led by Misato. Furthermore, the interaction between Shinji and Kaworu is significantly more... personal with them playing piano together. Of course, majority of the film focuses on Shinji's unending struggle to cope with the changes he unknowingly brought forth as the "Near-Third Impact". As you can tell, 3.33 is a much darker story than anything in the entire Evangelion franchise. Who knows what will happen in the fourth installment when it eventually comes out?

At this point, I fully expect anything. I'm personally rooting for a reveal that all 4 movies actually take place during the period of time that the people of Atlantis were first spreading across the Earth, and that the story is a prequal to Nadia and Gunbuster.

Well, I myself am late to the party, so I used the last two days to watch the first three films (1.11 and 2.22 are actually rewatches from five or so years ago). Here's my analysis of the series so far:

Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone

Essentially a rework of the first six episodes of the original series, the artwork and camera angles are faithfully redone digitally while retaining the original look of the characters. Backgrounds and most of the Angels have been enhanced in 3D animation without going overboard (except maybe Ramiel). The scene of Shinji running away is more dramatic, as we get to see the full extent of Old Tokyo's destruction from the Second Impact. Other than that, it's exactly like watching the series over again, only with much better eye candy.

Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance

This is where the Rebuild series starts to differ from the original series. While it is mainly based on episodes 8, 12, 15, 17-19, the film greatly reduces the presence of majority of the secondary characters by introducing Mari Illustrious Makinami, whose adventurous nature contrasts the characteristics of the other Children. Consequently, Asuka - who was originally a primary focus in this part of the series, takes a backseat halfway when she (instead of Toji in episodes 17-18) is selected to pilot EVA-03 and meets roughly the same fate. The bizarre plot twist toward the end of the film brings forth what would have been the end of the entire Rebuild storyline... until the after credits.

Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo

And now for the story that even most hardcore Evangelion fans were not prepared for. Due to the sheer complexity of this post-apocalyptic story, one viewing simply is not enough. In the 14 years between 2.22 and this film, a lot has obviously changed, yet it's only vaguely explained. In the midst of the neverending conflict between mankind and the Angels, there is now a feud between the remnants of NERV and a breakaway group led by Misato. Furthermore, the interaction between Shinji and Kaworu is significantly more... personal with them playing piano together. Of course, majority of the film focuses on Shinji's unending struggle to cope with the changes he unknowingly brought forth as the "Near-Third Impact". As you can tell, 3.33 is a much darker story than anything in the entire Evangelion franchise. Who knows what will happen in the fourth installment when it eventually comes out?

What's left after the world has been destroyed but to begin the painful process of rebuilding?

DSCF5475_zpsyvndhcfz.jpg

That's a nice build. How is it compared to Bandai's EVA kits?

That's the large Medicom figure. The Kotoboukiya 1/400 kits while small, are significantly nicer than their Bandai counterparts, which feel (at least to me) like partly recycled TV-version kits... It's like, if it's not Gundam, Bandai won't put more than a half-assed effort into the product. As for Medicom... Don't get me started!

You'll have to admit that Bandai did bring their A game to the Star Wars line.

That's because as licensors, Disney are the undisputed kings of anal-nutbaggery: it's their way, or the highway. Back to EVA kits, the proportions are much closer to the line-art for the Koto offerings, and because they don't have the seamless arm design of the Bandai kits, can hold tighter poses and will hold up better over time.

• 3 weeks later...