Sony would pull the plug, because Japan / China / North Korea.. not all are bed fellows, and they are a lot closer than us.

However I'm very saddened that US studios bent over to these demands. the US looks very weak. We just proved we cave to Terrorism

threats. Not only once with "the Interview", but twice with "Team America" being canned for a rerun.

This event has certainly made the various cyber security companies more profits... though i just gotta ask: cant we just cut ALL their communication lines (outside of those in China) to the outside world. you cant hack if you cant get a dial-tone, right?

That, unfortunately, still would not work. Almost all malware are using some kind of man-in-the-middle attacks. All those compromised computers out there are likely relays. So they could infect a computer outside of the country, which would then spread and infect other computers around the world. If that gets cut off, they could do it the old-fashion way and sent someone out there with a laptop to a internet cafe in another country and send something out.

It's wrong to blame Sony as they are the victim, the NORKs deserve our wrath for this. Also, think about it. Sony pulled the film out of fear that they cannot be protected by the government. We didn't see this after 9/11 so why are we seeing this now. Kim Jong Un has elevated himself to the new Prophet Mohammed.

Edited by TangledThorns

What's really funny to me is that this whole thing is going to make this movie far, FAR more sought-after, celebrated, notorious, famous and eventually watched than it ever would have been otherwise. Without this drama it would have been just another comedy that people laugh about for a couple weeks before being forgotten.

Sony didn't really pull the movie until the big theatre chains refused to show it. They had no choice but to save face and pull the whole release. Nerdist on YouTube also has a good theory why financially they had to make the move. Insurance purposes and all that. It sucks but really it's was more the theatres' fault. It's a really bad month for Sony.

This event has certainly made the various cyber security companies more profits... though i just gotta ask: cant we just cut ALL their communication lines (outside of those in China) to the outside world. you cant hack if you cant get a dial-tone, right?

That wouldn't affect the global community at all.

What's really funny to me is that this whole thing is going to make this movie far, FAR more sought-after, celebrated, notorious, famous and eventually watched than it ever would have been otherwise. Without this drama it would have been just another comedy that people laugh about for a couple weeks before being forgotten.

Agreed, although I won't be one of those latent fans. Seth Rogen and James Franco don't strike me as comedy at all...

Agreed, although I won't be one of those latent fans. Seth Rogen and James Franco don't strike me as comedy at all...

Which is why this flick is hovering around 50% on Rotten Tomatoes and MetaCritic. What would be a mediocre comedy is now going to be a cult film cuz no one can see it. There are very few blockbusters being released at this time of year.

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks this whole thing smacks of a setup--but masterminded by whom, eh? This supposedly "offended" individual in NK? Seriously?

True enough though, this whole "controversy" has been nothing but a win-win for him so far. He's gotten a ton more attention--at least in America--than his own antics at home have ever garnered him. And let's face it: he should be grateful to Rogen, Franco et al for their obvious flattery; the actor they cast is clearly slimmer and better looking.

I've seen the scene in question a couple of times already; it's available on multiple sites online. So in that sense, the cyberterrorists have already lost. But I concur with jenius' earlier post about the precedent that this sets. To think that this sort of bullshittery could work, and and its impact on our sense of freedom of expression--no matter how tasteless or un-funny--is disgusting.

Edited by reddsun1

Keep in mind it was the theaters that refused to play it, prompting Sony to pull it. Mind you, Sony isn't free from blame, but if the theaters said no, then Sony would be sending them a film that the theaters would not play, wasting time and money. If Sony pulled it and imediately said they would find another way to show it, they could have saved face. But since it took them 3 days to come out and say something, the damage is done.

This supposedly "offended" individual in NK? Seriously?

Now, it's likely not just that one scene but the way the entire movie that satires North Korea. I don't recall that scene showing up until after all of this started.

Keep in mind it was the theaters that refused to play it, prompting Sony to pull it. Mind you, Sony isn't free from blame, but if the theaters said no, then Sony would be sending them a film that the theaters would not play, wasting time and money. If Sony pulled it and imediately said they would find another way to show it, they could have saved face. But since it took them 3 days to come out and say something, the damage is done. Now, it's likely not just that one scene but the way the entire movie that satires North Korea. I don't recall that scene showing up until after all of this started.

It is feared that if it got into the North it might insight revolt given the cult of personality around the Kim dynasty.

I'm reminded of the first "Naked Gun movie"!

I've even more amused by the statements that we'll respond equally. Not sure how cyber attacks will affect a country that hasn't progressed technologically beyond 1970 for the most part. Baby Huey got his Xmas present in embarasing the US and getting all the attention. Now NK is demanding a joint investigation into the hacker attacks. Okay Kim, now you're just trolling.

So why not just exploit the hell out of the movie through the Internet for whatever activist agenda people want in retaliation since, I'm assuming, it was part of the terabytes of data that was leaked? Someone previously posted the most exploitable part of the entire film.

Nevermind.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/12/21/the-interview-torrent-might-be-available-if-the-pirate-bay-website-still-existed/

Edited by Einherjar

Now that it's out, people have watched it.......Still hovering around 54% on Rotten Tomatoes. And still at 50% on Metacritic.I'm still planning on skipping this meh-movie. Still planning on watching The Hobbit and/or American Sniper.

Honestly, just to make a statement, I'm tempted to buy a bunch of tickets, even though I have no desire to see the movie.