Let's hope that Shia LeDouche's character is not that major of one, the less lines we hear from him, the better. Of course my oldest tells me the other day that he thinks LeDouche is a good actor and missed him in the latest T-Fromers movie. I was left unable to react by that...

Let's hope that Shia LeDouche's character is not that major of one, the less lines we hear from him, the better. Of course my oldest tells me the other day that he thinks LeDouche is a good actor and missed him in the latest T-Fromers movie. I was left unable to react by that...

I agree with your kid. I don't know anything about the guy, except that he seems to have a bad reputation, but I don't care one whit about what he is like in real life. Everything I've seen him in, he's been pretty decent. Douche or not, he's at least as good as most young actors I've seen. As for the movie, the production details seem promising, but bad writing and stupid plot have ruined solid projects before.

I'm actually looking forward to this.

(please please please no fireball explosions!)

I agree with your kid. I don't know anything about the guy, except that he seems to have a bad reputation, but I don't care one whit about what he is like in real life. Everything I've seen him in, he's been pretty decent. Douche or not, he's at least as good as most young actors I've seen. As for the movie, the production details seem promising, but bad writing and stupid plot have ruined solid projects before.

I'm actually looking forward to this.

(please please please no fireball explosions!)

I've never cared for his acting "skills." Too much screaming like a little girl, screaming no, no, no all the time or derp facing his way through things. Plus I think most of the movies he's been the star, or at least costar in have been garbage, at least the ones I've seen, the T-Formers movies, Indy-4...

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if this movie will touch on the horrific and seemingly desperate conditions faced by the American (& the Canadians, & the Brits, in their "Tommycookers") tankers during the latter part of the war--and not give a bunch of rose-tinted Hollywood imbellishment. They had the rude awakening of going from the class of the field in North Africa to being severely outclassed on the continent, against the likes of Tigers, Panthers and other bigger, newer German tanks...

when you hear veterans recall their experiences, recounting in some instances how they had to "spray out the interiors of hurriedly repaired Shermans with a hose, then repaint them to get them back into action." What those lads had to face... *shudders*

Edited by reddsun1

It's my impression that a tank is a very bad place to be in in a conflict. You're basically a big, relatively slow moving target, and there's all kind of high- to low-tech stuff out there to kill you.

It's the claustrophobia inducing operating environment I have a problem with...

• 4 weeks later...

Reasonable mockup of something is in no way the same thing being that thing.

A Pontiac Fiero with a cheap Ferrari fiberglass body is not a Ferrari, and that is not a Tiger.

It looks like a T-34 or derivative with some "work done."

And as such, it isn't the Bovington Tiger.

It's not bad, but the forward hull geometry, running gear, and forward-mounted idler are pretty obvious givaways.

Edited by Phyrox

*eats popcorn* Love it when War nerds go to Gwar over details most of us have no clue about... it's how WE learn about that sh*t...

*eats popcorn* Love it when War nerds go to Gwar over details most of us have no clue about... it's how WE learn about that sh*t...

I have fun with it. I put any old model Sherman out on the game table and some gamers go bonkers. You don't even want to start a conversation with the Napoleonics nuts...

From your post claiming it was not a Tiger I was thinking it was the normal bit of showing footage from 41 and talking about the battle of the Bulge. Are you a wargamer by chance? (I am) they can be just as nitpicky.

Nope, I'm a modeller which gives me a keen eye, and I've spent the better part of my life studying military and aviation technology. Was one orals away from making it my profession in fact. Still a lot of holes though...which is what keeps it interesting.

I used to go to a gaming convention with some war-gamers, and I learned how their attention to minor details, although sometimes derided by more academic minds, can give insight that higher-level analysis often misses. I have a great deal of respect for the knowledge of war-gamers.

A good trick for telling mock-up tanks from the real deal is to look at the running gear. Every family of tanks tends to differ in how many road wheels they have, how they are arranged, how big they are, whether the drive sprocket is at the front or the back, whether there are return rollers and how many, etc. When people modify one tracked vehicle to look like another, they generally can't change that. The result is like having someone in Nikes at a civil war reenactment.

So, that's a dead giveaway that the tank in the video isn't a Tiger. The real thing would have interleaved road wheels and a big drive sprocket at the front, and no uneven gaps between the road wheels like you see between the first and second set.

Edit: Renegadeleader, sorry, I was typing as you posted. Hope this didn't come off like an overly long answer to a short question.

Of course, another clue is that there's only one running Tiger I in the world, and that ain't it ;-)

Edited by Nekko Basara