DYRL subtitle question

azrhino

I have a question about translation of "Macross: Do You Remember Love?"

I have seen three different subtitled versions and there is one scene I would like clarification on.

After Max defeats Milia on the Meltrandi ship, they hear Minmay's song.

Max walks towards Milia and says "Beautiful" (referring to Milia)

In subtitle version one, Milia replys "Handsome" (referring to Max).

In subtitle version two, Milia replys "Beautiful" (referring either to Minmay's song or Max, depending on interpretaion).

In subtitle version three, Milia replys "Beautiful?" (as a question, seemingly not understanding the concept).

As near as I can tell, Max and Milia say the same word in Japanese, so the question is, which is the more accurate translation?

I believe Milia was more or less asking Max what it meant, as the concept was probably foreign to a Meltrandi. They say the exact same thing ("Utskushi"), and unless there is a difference based on gender (someone more up to speed on Japanese could jump in here), I don't see why she would be ascribing that adjective to him when the concept didn't exist in their culture before then.

Edited by Skull Leader

I have a question about translation of "Macross: Do You Remember Love?"
I have seen three different subtitled versions and there is one scene I would like clarification on.
After Max defeats Millia on the Meltrandi ship, they hear Minmay's song.
Max walks towards Millia and says "Beautiful" (referring to Millia)

Max: 美しい~ = Beautiful.

Milia: ああ… 美しい… = Beautiful?

Edited by MacrossCN

What clue is there that what Miilia said was a question while what Max said was a statement. In English we put the interrogative spin on the pronounciation - I could not hear any difference between the way Max said it and the way Miilia did? Is there something we need to listen for?

I think he's talking about the subtitle... one of the Japanese subtitle translations puts the interrogative before the word when she says it.

That isn't the only inflection we use... if we are trying to illicit an explanation from someone, just repeating their last word and trailing off can have the same effect as asking as a question, but when one does not expect or understand the answer

Me: "beautiful...."

Girl: "beautiful.... (care to explain?)" The last part is implied, but does not necessarily have to sound interrogative.

Thanks for the replies. I thought each interpretation was interesting, but was most intrigued by the third, which is apparently the most accurate.

It also amazes me that we are still finding "new" things to discuss on a 30 year old anime movie.

Real interesting stuff guys. I've always thought that Miria was saying "Beau..tiful?" not knowing what the word meant, but I also had the doubt that maybe she was complimenting Max on his looks. He is a genius after all :p