First teaser poster was sighted, so up goes the thread.

It's Neill Blomkamp - expect cool robots, Sharlto Copley, mad bureaucracy, gangsters, and dirt. Oh and it has Sigourney Weaver and Hugh Jackman, too. And Die Antwoord, google them at your own risk...

post-1187-0-11711800-1408044541_thumb.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1823672/

I'm still mad that Microsoft wouldn't give Jackson and Blomkamp the go ahead on Halo.
Blomkamp has proven his cinema scope can easily support the range needed to do Halo right.

While District 9 and Elysium were not epic award winners, they were both great Sci-fi films that kept

me interested the entire length of the movie. That in of it's self is hard to get out of movies these days.

I'm still mad that Microsoft wouldn't give Jackson and Blomkamp the go ahead on Halo.

Blomkamp has proven his cinema scope can easily support the range needed to do Halo right.

Microsoft was ready to go with them on the film, it was the studio's who shot the whole thing down because they refused to accept the production deal microsoft demanded.

Microsoft was ready to go with them on the film, it was the studio's who shot the whole thing down because they refused to accept the production deal microsoft demanded.

Yeah that and Jackson eventually dropped out completely because Microsoft included too much control over aspects of the story that would

have had to be molded to fit in a 3hr movie format. Microsoft's huge licensing cash needs ruined it. If there's anyone that could make that story work it's Jackson combined with Blomkamp's combination of background and mechanical imagery.

I loved District 9 but couldn't stand Elysium's overbearing message of social justice. Blomkamp uses social justice in films the same way Michael Bay uses dynamite in his. If Chappie is more of the same then Blomkamp is gonna end up being the new M.Night Shyamalan.

Edited by TangledThorns

• 2 months later...

Personally I don't have a problem with Blomkamp's strong social-commentary but I can absolutely see how it's a turn-off for some. Like a lot of artists his background (South Africa) had a huge influence on the type of art produced.

And this will sure to have tons of action/violence based on the pictures posted ("Daddy" with an assault rifle). And New York (NYC)?

-b.

Looks like Short Circuit... ugh. The hip hop folk were annoying. Sorry, but I'm gonna pass on this film.

Admittedly, though I think Chappie is cute, I did get a Johnny5 vibe...

My other beef: Aside from the government/MIC trying to quash independent AI development for whatever reason; do you know anyone who'd react to an intelligent robot by trying to kill it with fire? Maybe there's a lot of plot leading up to that. Maybe it's just the subset of interest that I and my social network have. But seriously - who wouldn't think it was cool?

Uh, there are lots of people that do way worse right now than treat the proverbial first sentient robot like trash. They rape women, assault gay people, exploit the poor, discriminate against ethnic minorities, destroy democracy, steal wealth from your own pocket and wage wars for cheap oil. Not only is the hatred displayed in the Chappie trailer likely, human nature almost guarantees it will happen.

My other beef: Aside from the government/MIC trying to quash independent AI development for whatever reason; do you know anyone who'd react to an intelligent robot by trying to kill it with fire? Maybe there's a lot of plot leading up to that. Maybe it's just the subset of interest that I and my social network have. But seriously - who wouldn't think it was cool?

This was in the news a couple of years ago. As I am interested in the tech, I remember this well:

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-style-glasses-led-to-attack-in-mcdonalds-professor-says/

Uh, there are lots of people that do way worse right now than treat the proverbial first sentient robot like trash. They rape women, assault gay people, exploit the poor, discriminate against ethnic minorities, destroy democracy, steal wealth from your own pocket and wage wars for cheap oil. Not only is the hatred displayed in the Chappie trailer likely, human nature almost guarantees it will happen.

Sigh, there you go again, invading my needed escapism with the depressing facts of our human dickishness.

Actually, I didn't even realize that he was a former police robot. I suppose that this could be how he gets messed up & sent to scrap in the first place.

Sigh, there you go again, invading my needed escapism with the depressing facts of our human dickishness.

Actually, I didn't even realize that he was a former police robot. I suppose that this could be how he gets messed up & sent to scrap in the first place.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. Sometimes I let my natural tendecies get the best of me.

But if I may, I think it's fair to say this movie isn't a pure escapist film and the realistic human reactions to Chappie is nearly as important as who Chappie is in the movie.

Oh no, Blokamp's stuff is totally the wrong direction to look for escapism!

Watching the trailer again, as well as the short Tetra Val, makes it likely that Chappie was modified from a group of robots used to police & suppress rebellion among the lower class, without real people getting their hands dirty. Drone warfare comes to the slums. In that context, the machine abuse seems legit.

I also don't mind social commentary, and BlomKamp's visceral violence and mechanical designs strike all the right chords with me. He channels what I loved most about Verhoeven's films, sans Showgirls.

• 1 month later...