So very sad. Even in bad movies (Popeye) he was an incredible talent. Then he went and did serious roles and was awesome in those too (the one where he played a killer up in Alaska - remake of a foreign film), and THEN he was humble enough and smart enough to play the straight man when it served the movie best (The Birdcage).

Wow...I felt like I just got punched in the gut. :mellow: I actually feel really heartbroken over his loss. It's always sad when you hear a famous actor pass away, but effect feels even more compounded when its someone you enjoyed watching since being a wee lad, to say nothing of the circumstances surrounding the loss. I also kinda felt like we lost one of our own too, as he was every bit the geek like the rest of us are.

Damn shame indeed.

Rest in peace dear sir, and for all the laughs we've got to enjoy.

Edited by Flaming Guantlet

WTF? I will never understand how someone with that much fame, wealth and power; who has reached out and touched or influenced audiences the world-over can suffer the symptoms of lesser men that eventually leads to suicide. In the end, I guess every man's pain is their own.

I loved Robin Williams in "The World According to Garp." Godspeed, Mr. Williams...

WTF? I will never understand how someone with that much fame, wealth and power; who has reached out and touched or influenced audiences the world-over can suffer the symptoms of lesser men that eventually leads to suicide. In the end, I guess every man's pain is their own.

I loved Robin Williams in "The World According to Garp." Godspeed, Mr. Williams...

I wouldn't call people suffering from depression lesser men.

So very sad. Even in bad movies (Popeye) he was an incredible talent. Then he went and did serious roles and was awesome in those too (the one where he played a killer up in Alaska - remake of a foreign film), and THEN he was humble enough and smart enough to play the straight man when it served the movie best (The Birdcage).

Insomnia --- I loved the US adaptation of the original.

Man, this news hits hard. Mr. Williams was a landmark of talent.

"To sleep, perchance to Dream; Aye, there's the rub,

For in that sleep of death, what dreams may come..." --- William Shakespeare, Hamlet

Yup, like Awakenings. I think he was on a Law & Order episode and remember being really impressed at how serious he took a role.

That was Homicide: Life On the Streets... check the youtube vid I linked at the top... his best performance next to Good Will Hunting IMO...