1/60 scale: Yamacadia vs Bandai

arrow

Yamato/Arcadia's scale is true-er to 1/60. That's the scale it's stated at on the boxes anyway.

Bandai's DX aren't a specific scale. The boxes don't even mention that they're 1/60. It's just a consensus that it looks 1/60 or close to it. Someone's mentioned this before but I can't really remember. I think it was jenius..

if you try to measure out the size of the pilot figures from yamato's VF-1s, they work out to being only about 4 feet tall at 1/60 scale.

Really, did you measure the pilot in sitting position?, or did you measure by part, like: from feet to knee plus knee to hip plus hip to head? If you do it like that the pilot is about 3 cmand that x 60 is about 180 cm or 1,8 mt.

Really, did you measure the pilot in sitting position?, or did you measure by part, like: from feet to knee plus knee to hip plus hip to head? If you do it like that the pilot is about 3 cmand that x 60 is about 180 cm or 1,8 mt.

Just checked again with a DYRL pilot, it's closer to 2.5cm total, so 150cm in real life or just under 5 feet.

btw, just looking at my arcadia YF-19 Isamu vs My bandai YF-29 pilot, they have the same length legs and same size head, with isamu having a slightly taller torso. Isamu also has much larger feet so he doesn't fit in the bandai cockpit, if your wondering.

Edited by anime52k8

• 2 weeks later...

Neither are perfect 1/60 scale. But at least Bandai's Valkyries scale perfectly with each other both in fighter and battroid. Yamarcadia, not so much as seen in the photos jenius provided. Of course some of the blame is on anime magic.

Bandai's are all VF-25's or derivatives....how could they not scale perfectly to each other? :)

im surprised at Yamato that there is a fair amount of scale inconsistency amongst their own line of Valkyrie.. particularly with the 3 Valks that Jenius has pointed out.. The VF-19 is already quite a sizable Valk and to think how much bigger it would be if it was closer,spot on to or even larger than scale! (more obvious in battroid modes anyways as with the 17 & 22) :o Makes me wonder whether this was more a deliberate move by Yamato this during the design and development stage (on technical grounds) rather than it being unintentional scale inconsistencies?

Edited by spanner76

Also the fact the little guy in the 30 flops around means he doesn't really fit, or scale, all that well.

Well, the pilot of the VF-4 flops around too. But flopping around in the cockpit doesn't mean they aren't scaled well IMO. And comparing the pilot figures of Yamarcadia with each other, you'll see some huge discrepancies. Anyway I think someone mentioned before that you shouldn't compare pilots anyways.

The main issue with Yamarcadia is that their valkyries scale in one way in fighter mode, then scale in another in battroid. The VF-17, VF-19 and VF-22 really highlight that. Unlike for Bandai's offerings they all scale neatly with each other in all modes.

Well, the pilot of the VF-4 flops around too. But flopping around in the cockpit doesn't mean they aren't scaled well IMO. And comparing the pilot figures of Yamarcadia with each other, you'll see some huge discrepancies. Anyway I think someone mentioned before that you shouldn't compare pilots anyways.

The main issue with Yamarcadia is that their valkyries scale in one way in fighter mode, then scale in another in battroid. The VF-17, VF-19 and VF-22 really highlight that. Unlike for Bandai's offerings they all scale neatly with each other in all modes.

The real main issue is the way these hand animated things scale with each other within the animation and the compromises in size are what Yamcadia needed to do to make them look as good as possible to a bunch of picky, whiny fans.

Even CGI models aren't nearly as consistent as you'd think they'd be. I've dabbled a little bit in 3D animation- you don't just have one model that you use for everything, you've got several models, often with varying proportion for scale and perspective purposes that are used for different shots with different rigging. I'd bet good dollars that if we ever actually got our hands on Satelites' animation models they'd be dramatically less scale/transformation consistent than we tend to assume they are.

Even CGI models aren't nearly as consistent as you'd think they'd be. I've dabbled a little bit in 3D animation- you don't just have one model that you use for everything, you've got several models, often with varying proportion for scale and perspective purposes that are used for different shots with different rigging. I'd bet good dollars that if we ever actually got our hands on Satelites' animation models they'd be dramatically less scale/transformation consistent than we tend to assume they are.

Sometimes you can spot pretty easily when they switch models. I usually noticed in Frontier when they go from GERWALK to battroid----there will very often be an explosion/obstacle to obscure it mid-transformation, or a very quick roll/dodge.

From what I can tell, there may be a "working" fighter/GERWALK model, but battroid is pretty much its own.

The real main issue is the way these hand animated things scale with each other within the animation and the compromises in size are what Yamcadia needed to do to make them look as good as possible to a bunch of picky, whiny fans.

BOOM! :lol:

And yeah, I agree with the core concept that Yamato/Arcadia did, and may continue to do so depending on future releases, compromise true scale for the sake of bringing a "good" product to market.

-b.

Okay, I'm a little confused on where the discussion is heading. At first I thought my statement was being disputed. But after reviewing the recent posts, is it safe to say that everyone agrees with my initial statement?

"Neither are perfect 1/60 scale. But at least Bandai's Valkyries scale perfectly with each other both in fighter and battroid. Yamarcadia, not so much as seen in the photos jenius provided. Of course some of the blame is on anime magic."

Sorry, the quote function wasn't working.

^neither agree nor disagree because I haven't done any measurements

I would say in either case, with Bandai or Yamato/Arcadia - the different releases (Frontier, SDF:M, DYRL, Mac Plus, 7, etc.) scale "good enough" for me

-b.

Some people like specs/stats sheet and use that as the guide while others use lineart as the guide to whether something is the right size.

There are scenes for instance in macross plus where the yf-19 gunpod looks small. But I prefer a larger one. It's like the debate over whether its better to accept "man hands" on old yamato toys vs skinny hands. They are both valid because of anime magic in the show.

Using nanotechnology the planes can probably stretch or contract the airframes like human skin:

perhaps in the macross universe this can explain why in robot mode the Valk can have a chunky look to it because the shapeshifting materials of the aliens is really advanced in the future? Those bulky manhands in the tv series go into clown mode whenever it needs to crush a giant's skull and then go into skinny mode when it needs to fit inside the forearm of the robot in plane mode?

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker