Slowpoke of the century

Aegis!

Wow, so, hi guys, long time no read. :lol:

I don't know if anyone remembers me but I used to be quite active on the board several years ago, unfortunately I had to take some time away from the valkoholism for some years (yeah, bad timing). Last time I frequented this place Yamato was at their peak and Frontier was just being aired so imagine my shock when I started reading some of the news trying to catch up. I've been understand all that has happened with Arcadia and whatnot but the amount of threads is just too much, I'm sure I'm not the first guy (tried to search for similar topics but none were up to date afaik) but for the most part I think I've grasped the situation. Anyway, I've been trying to re-build my collection from scratch but it seems like all the popular stores either went under or stopped selling macross altogether (twinmoons, BBTS, etc), which is understandable after the Yamato debacle and the economic crisis. So what's the deal right now ? It seems that the presence of Arcadia has had little effect on either the availability or the overpricing of valks around the web and even then it's really hard to find anything in stock anymore, where are you guys getting your fix nowadays ? Ebay is unsurprisingly ¨filled¨ with overpriced auctions of the same 4 or 5 models and even HLJ seems to have pretty low-stocks (just 2 valks), even for DX valks, is something going on at the moment ? It feels as if the Valkyrie is an endangered species of the toy world. :(

Are there any hopes of a comeback for macross now at this point (new series, anniversary,etc) ? My only expectations right now is to get the upcoming VF-0D (which ironically Is what I waited for the most from Yamato over the years) and some of the DX valks.

So the 1/60 scale is the one to go since Arcadia and Bandai produce their perfect transformation Valkyrie toys in this scale (technical Bandais DX Chogokins are no scale but they are roughly in the same scale as the ones form Arcadia)

So far Arcadia released four Valkyries. The VF-1J with a special 30th anniversary paint job, VF-1S from DYRL in the Hikaru and Fokker variants. They are basically the Yamato VF-1 2.0 and come with a stand and the option parts. The next one was the YF-19. This one is based on the old Yamato VF-19 form Macross 7. It features a high-speed mode, the missile leg bays, is gullet free and comes with tons of missiles and the Super Parts.

On the release schedule for Arcadia will be the VF-19 Kai with Soundbooster and gold trim ins September, the VF-1 GBP bundle from SDF:M in January 2015 and the VF-0D. Teased releases where the Max and Miria VF-1J from SDF:M and a VT-1 Super Ostrich. From my understanding Arcadia should have all the molds from the VF-1 2.0 onwards and the licenses for SDF:M, DYRL Zero and M7.

Bandai is releasing all the Frontier Valkyries but they are sometimes hard to get because of an artificial shortage from Bandai. There are two versions. The V1 from a couple of years ago and the Renewals which are being currently released and reissued. Personally I wouldn't touch the V1 with a six foot pole. Bandai also did a perfect transformation Koenig Monster (roughly 1/100 scale) from Frontier that should be getting reissued but I haven't heard anything in the last months.

Currently available is the YF-25 prototype and the VF-25F. Preorders are open for the RVF-171 and the VF-25S reissue. Bandai released allt the Valkyries types from Frontier (VF-25, VF-27, YF-29, VF-171EX, YF-30). The YF-30 from the Macross 30 video game was released last week. For almost every Valkyrie Bandai released the add-on sets. They where all Tamashii Web Shop exclusives so they are pretty pricey on the secondary market.

If you would like more infos about the released products check out jenius' excellent review site: http://www.anymoon.com/blog/

There is also a thread that lists all the video releases done for Valkyries. Check it out if you have some time: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=40918

In general the releases are hard to get after they where released the Bandai produces are even hard to preorder where the Arcadia are easy to preorder. The days of 90% discounts on Yamato products are over with the exception beeing the VF-1J 30th Anniversay.

As far as shops go here is a list where you can find some of the products. The Hong Kong based stores are good if you want to find some of the old Yamato M7 releases as well as the new releases from Arcadia. There are several Japanese stores where you can get releases that are sold out for a mark-up (but they also sell for regular prices if you can get a preorder in), there are the regular stores and secondary market stores:

Regular stores:

http://www.amiami.com

http://www.hlj.com

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/mecha/

Hong Kong based stores:

http://www.angolz.com/store/

http://www.hkcollectibles.com

Stores that sell sold out items with a mark-up:

http://www.nippon-yasan.com/lang-en/

http://plamoya.com/

And the secondary market stores:

http://jungle-scs.co.jp/sale_en/

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/

I'm sure there are many more but those are the ones I frequent. Of course there is always ebay and Yahoo Auctions Japan or Amazon Japan. For the last two you need a proxy buyer if you want to get toys from there. And there is the for sale thread on the forum but I'm sure you know about that.

Hope that helps and welcome back. :)

Edited by Scyla

Thanks guys, you're the best, bless you all. ;)

That was very helpful in clarifying the current state of affairs, It seems my first impressions were mostly right in that:

1.- Yamato variants are almost non-existent nowadays

2.- Current valk stocks are VERY low (artificially or not) from either bandai or arcadia

3.- Demand seems unexpectedly high (?)

4.- Arcadia supposedly still has SDF, Plus, Zero and 7 rights but has taken very little advantage from Yamato's inheritance, only a few variants and in a very slow and limited run. Feels like we've gone from an industrial mass production schedule to a more artisan/indie production run, is this right ?

5.- Bandai has Frontier locked

6.- Prices are mostly high, everywhere

After catching up, my expectations are to prioritize the following valks (in order of probability):

A) VF-0D (DREAM VALK, along with the VF-5000 )

B) At least one proper VF-1 variant (probably the upcoming 1J or a 1S if available)

C) Isamu's durandal (would like a YF-19 but with no YF-21 in sight this is as good is it gets it seems)

D) Some of the many SD toys popping up

E) (~2) Yamato's non-painted VF-1 for customization (difficult)

F) VF-11 (harder)

The following toys seem to either be too hard to find or ridiculously overpriced:

- YF-21

- All Zero valks

- VF-4

Do you guys think this is doable/feasible ? Even though most of Bandai's and Arcadia's releases are relatively recent their stocks seem quite low, almost everywhere, is this phenomenon recent or has it been like this for some time now ? Is there any chance stocks will go back to normal ? I remember in the Yamato days it was mostly the very obscure variants that suffered from this low stock syndrome, but now you're lucky to find more than 3-4 variants in the same store (reminds me of the early 1/72 days). Does anyone know who currently holds the license to the Macross R/The Ride toys-wise ? It would be awesome if Arcadia could grab those.

Having a ton of stuff in stock at clearance prices at every retailer hasn't been a thing since Yamato went out of business (it was most likely the reason they went out of business). The major manufacturers have wised up to the fact that it's not a good business model to flood the market with product and leave retailers with mountains of stock languishing on shelves. the current trend is enough stock to satisfy pre-orders and a little more, but not enough to sit around and go on sale.

From a buyers perspective, it's not as hard to get stuff as some people make it out to be, but you have to follow what releases are going on and get what you want as soon as it comes out. Don't flip out and pay scalper prices, but don't waffle when you see something for retail or bellow.

As for things to buy:

1) Have patience, because you'll be able to fulfill wants 1 and 2 some time next year. Arcadia is going slow compared to yamato but they're doing stuff.

2)Here, have an Isamu YF-29 at a fair price. although really, do yourself a favor and get an arcadia YF-19, even if they never reissue or redo the YF-21 and VF-11, it's such a good toy you're doing yourself a disservice not getting one.

3)best recommendation for D~F is stalk Mandarake periodically and look for the things you want to pop up their at a price you're willing to pay. Alternatively, check out the for sale section here. good stuff pops up their regularly, and members here are probably more willing to cut you a decent deal.

4) For the YF-21, keep an eye out on the for sale section, although maybe you'll get lucky and arcadia will revisit it some day. For the Zero Valks, you know they'd never make a VF-0D if they didn't have plans to retool it into at least a VF-0S so again, patience is a virtue. it's more questionable if they'll do an SV-51; it's less likely, but it's a design that could really use a refresh, it would complement the VF-0D. As for the VF-4, join the rest of us in praying for a reissue in 2015.

As for Macross R, the only people who have done anything with it so far is hasegawa. someone at yamato (mr. K?) expressed interest in doing Macross R toys before they went under, but nothing came of it.

Edited by anime52k8

Welcome back :)

Thanks guys, you're the best, bless you all. ;)

That was very helpful in clarifying the current state of affairs, It seems my first impressions were mostly right in that:

1.- Yamato variants are almost non-existent nowadays

2.- Current valk stocks are VERY low (artificially or not) from either bandai or arcadia

3.- Demand seems unexpectedly high (?)

4.- Arcadia supposedly still has SDF, Plus, Zero and 7 rights but has taken very little advantage from Yamato's inheritance, only a few variants and in a very slow and limited run. Feels like we've gone from an industrial mass production schedule to a more artisan/indie production run, is this right ?

5.- Bandai has Frontier locked

6.- Prices are mostly high, everywhere

After catching up, my expectations are to prioritize the following valks (in order of probability):

A) VF-0D (DREAM VALK, along with the VF-5000 )

B) At least one proper VF-1 variant (probably the upcoming 1J or a 1S if available)

C) Isamu's durandal (would like a YF-19 but with no YF-21 in sight this is as good is it gets it seems)

D) Some of the many SD toys popping up

E) (~2) Yamato's non-painted VF-1 for customization (difficult)

F) VF-11 (harder)

The following toys seem to either be too hard to find or ridiculously overpriced:

- YF-21

- All Zero valks

- VF-4

Do you guys think this is doable/feasible ? Even though most of Bandai's and Arcadia's releases are relatively recent their stocks seem quite low, almost everywhere, is this phenomenon recent or has it been like this for some time now ? Is there any chance stocks will go back to normal ? I remember in the Yamato days it was mostly the very obscure variants that suffered from this low stock syndrome, but now you're lucky to find more than 3-4 variants in the same store (reminds me of the early 1/72 days). Does anyone know who currently holds the license to the Macross R/The Ride toys-wise ? It would be awesome if Arcadia could grab those.

1) Yes. But you can still find them around on the aftermarket but at a higher price. Best to wait out for Arcadia to do reissues of the variants. (slow, but they're coming.) The GBP-1S is an example.

2) Bandai pre-orders disappear fast, yes. But they are around at or near release. Just gotta be quick when they appear and not wait it out too long or prices jump up. Arcadia have been doing ordered runs with their previous releases so what they make is what people order. The new 0D and probably the armoured 1J will be ones that are wide releases.

4) Yeah, Arcadia are taking it slow with their releases. Probably doing this to not oversaturate the market.

6) Prices are high but once in a while you are able to find deals around. Just have to keep a lookout for them if that's what you're looking for.

Your wishlist seems doable. Other members have posted where you can get some of them. The 0D is coming soon. The 1S pops up for a good price once in a while, just gotta look out for them.

Like anime52k8 said, patience. The zero valks are bound to be reissued especially with the 0D coming up. Everything will be reissued eventually imo. But if you can't wait, just keep a lookout on the aftermarket sites. Deals comes up once in a while.

Good luck on your hunt. B))

Welcome back Aegis! I do remember you (and your weird avatar). :)
It's so strange that you should come back to the boards right now. While I've continued posting on the MW board, I too have only recently dived back into collecting some new transformable toys after many, many years away from it. HobbyLink Japan is still selling and I've also tried several other sites. I have good experiences with HK Collectibles and CDJapan. Also, apparently BBTS still sells Valkyries (I had no idea), but you can't find the valkyries by using the search feature on their website. You have to google BBTS and valkyries to find them...bizarre.

Having said that, I can tell you the Bandai product pre-orders are a nightmare I have never experienced before in my life (citing the recent YF-30 Chronos and VF-25S Ozma Messiah Renewal). Be prepared for frustration and just know its difficult for all of us. Just try to persevere and dedicate long term effort to obtaining them and you'll eventually get one. The folks here on Macross World are super helpful, providing reviews, advice on what to avoid, resources for potential sales and even selling multiples they obtained themselves - many at cost - just to help out other Macross fans. I'm proud to say I'm doing that right now for a fellow MW member. So keep your eyes and ears open.

Oh, and I have to say this; the new Arcadia stuff is f'ing amazing. I'm a Yamato 1/48 scale owner and in my opinion the Arcadia 1/60 VF-1 Valkyrie is superior in almost every way to the old yammies. Definitely worth your money. The YF-19 1/60 from Arcadia is also an excellent toy, though it has one or two shortcomings the VF-1 does not suffer. I just ordered the Bandai YF-30 Chronos and Bandai VF-25F Messiah Renewal from CDJapan (they should be arriving in a week). These will be my first Macross Frontier transformables so, I am looking forawrd to handlign them and posting my impressions. If you have any questions on any of the figures I own or am purchasing, I'd be happy to answer.

"Welcome (back to) the layer cake, son" :)

Edited by Mr March

CD Japan is just a regular store (at least with toys), never saw any second hand or marked up item there. It's anime-export that is a mix of regular store and marked-up price on hard to find item after release.

Ami-ami also has a used item section.

Thanks I changed it. I just though CDJapan would mark-up items because they seem to have more stock for preorder as the rest of the stores. I guess my impression was wrong.