Biggest and probably the most asked question, open or keep in box.

Novareign

crosses off name on safelist. jk, mostly, i agree with you.

except the arcaida yf-19 i will never transform it or touch it ankles.

This... I can get behind. Lol

I swear everytime I touch mine it feels more likely to break.

Of course nothing stays pegged on mine.

I guess if you can afford to buy multiples of everything or at least the ones that are special to you or possibly of value in the future (investment) then sure why not keep some boxed away. Most of my Macross collection are singles due to space and (mostly) affordability constraints so I chose to keep what I have (all of them) on display.

I guess if you can afford to buy multiples of everything or at least the ones that are special to you or possibly of value in the future (investment) then sure why not keep some boxed away. Most of my Macross collection are singles due to space and (mostly) affordability constraints so I chose to keep what I have (all of them) on display.

+1

Though I am getting to the point where two Detolfs are not enough and some birds (I'm looking at you Kakizaki and your clown coloured friend) may have to be packed away again.

I tend to open them and display them. Often in fighter mode because it usually looks the cleanest. A lot of mine are still MIB, but that's simply because I haven't had time to open them up. I sometimes apply the stickers, very carefully. I rarely transform them unless it is for the first time to put them on display, or when I want to put them back in their boxes.

But honestly. I never expect to be able to sell any of these toys for anywhere near what I paid for them, even MIB. With a few exceptions. Unless Macross becomes popular in the states again (*cough* HG), in which case all of us could be sitting on gold mines :). Yes, I love to keep them in as near a perfect condition as I can, but where's the fun in having them if friends can't come over and go "oh, that's cool, what's that?".

That being said, my Wave SDF-1 broke a leg the other day sitting on my shelf. It hadn't been touched in years and I picked it up carefully by the base to move it to clean the dust off the shelf and the leg just dropped off :(. I can look at it and see that it's a weak joint, but now I'm wondering what stresses some of these toys are getting just sitting on a shelf even.

I open them and transform to make sure there are no QC issues present. I have every single Bandai Valk from the 29 Alto on, but i can only display 4 at a time because of limited space. I box them back up and swap them out every other month or so. The only valks I still have MISB are the Renewal 25S, VF-X, 30th 1J, and the exclusive VF-1 Armor parts with the missile effect parts ^_^

I haven't bought any doubles so I open all the toys I buy. I keep saying to myself I can get a different toy instead of buying another copy of the same toy. I have a list, and for now I'm sticking to it. Instead of focusing on VF-1s or VF-25s, I like to explore other moulds. I guess it's a long way of saying that I open all the toys I buy, because I like swooshing and transforming them. And yes I'm addicted to the smell and touch of plastic toys. So there you go. 😄

I tend to open them and display them. Often in fighter mode because it usually looks the cleanest. A lot of mine are still MIB, but that's simply because I haven't had time to open them up. I sometimes apply the stickers, very carefully. I rarely transform them unless it is for the first time to put them on display, or when I want to put them back in their boxes.

<snip>

This is close to my situation. At the very least, I like to open the boxes to check for shipping damage. Ever since receiving an Arcadia Roy with a not so happy scratch down one vertical stabilizer, I'm more careful about taking MISB for granted. That Roy didn't go back into the box. I left him out and I'm considering using him for my first custom.

I rarely buy doubles and try to stick to singles as a general rule. I broke that rule twice: Once with the Yamato/Arcadia 1S releases and more recently with the 25s release.

My ultimate goal is to get all this stuff out of the cardboard and on display. I'm slowly setting up our spare room/writing room with a nice dedicated area. But time restraints and general procrastination has added to the backlog and clutter. :lol: I'm also one who appreciate style and engineering. For me, on some level there is a real joy in seeing the artwork (from line art, cells, and other sources) take physical 3D form. The child inside gets to gush at the level of cool.

I have multiples, most are still in boxes because I don't have any more room to display them. Once I do get more display cases, the ones that are still boxes will be opened. Well some of them will be opened. ;)

Edited by Saburo

I still think anyone who doesn't transform variable robots is just shy of insanity.

Why not just collect statues? Or model kits that never need to be opened.

Just don't understand the point.

Kicker is the only one with an excuse, because Museums need back ups!

Don't like statues, or models. The latter especially because I couldn't sand, putty or paint my way out of a wet paper bag.

But mostly cause I buy what I like, just because something can do a thing (like transform) doesn't mean it must do that thing. Sometimes having the option is good enough. At least in my estimation.

I judge not what others do with their items. ^_^

Sounds reasonable.

I have multiples, most are still in boxes because I don't have any more room to display them. Once I do get more display cases, the ones that are still boxes will be opened. Well some of them will be opened. ;)

Ha, ha. I see what you did there.

-b.

i'm a fan of take it out and display. transform at least once and display behind glass. However sometimes i won't have enough room and put it back into teh box. That and i have multiples of many valks adn figures i own so i can always have a "fresh" copy years down the road if i want. i do that for figure i can't imaghine being without. haha. however sometmies i never get around to opening even things i have single copies of. if i lose interest in it, or if its value exceeds my interest in it i should say...it get sold. i seriously don' t understand (or maybe i understand it but don't apreciate ie as much) the guys that have 100% of their collection never opened. if i were a sketchy individual i'd sell to those guys, take the toy out and do a pro level retape job (if you were serious about that its exceedingly easy)....victimless crime as they'd never know! lol.

Edited by Mechapilot77

Everything goes out on display, and is regularly posed/reposed/transformed. I buy things to play with them, otherwise I'd just buy statues. I was a modeler before anything else, so any harm they might come to as a result of the above is immediately fixed with a dab of superglue or a quick paint touch up as needed. I buy things for my own enjoyment far more than any resale value.

About two years ago I reached a point where I could no longer fit any more VALKS into my display cabinet.

I do try to move things around, but these days a newbie arrives - I always open it, transform at least twice and leave it looking towards the cabinet for a few days.... I call it "display envy".

Edited by typhoon

i'm a fan of take it out and display. transform at least once and display behind glass. However sometimes i won't have enough room and put it back into teh box. That and i have multiples of many valks adn figures i own so i can always have a "fresh" copy years down the road if i want. i do that for figure i can't imaghine being without. haha. however sometmies i never get around to opening even things i have single copies of. if i lose interest in it, or if its value exceeds my interest in it i should say...it get sold. i seriously don' t understand (or maybe i understand it but don't apreciate ie as much) the guys that have 100% of their collection never opened. if i were a sketchy individual i'd sell to those guys, take the toy out and do a pro level retape job (if you were serious about that its exceedingly easy)....victimless crime as they'd never know! lol.

Hahah! I just said the same thing ;)

It'd be a shitty thing to do and one reason I open everythin. I'm also a pro tape-eradicator :)

everything get's taken out of it's box and played with, as it should. The more important question is what to do with the box once you've taken the toy out?

I can't wait for the day when I'm able to afford a boxed G1 Shockwave and rip it out of his prison. But I will lube the hose so it stays shiny and flexible. :p

For me personally I like to fiddle with my toys and they look better unboxed in cabinets that in those terrible Yamato/Arcadia boxes.

Sadly sometimes I break some of the toys while playing with them. Casualties so far. MP-08B knee joints, broken VF-25F metal hip bar VF-25A broke gun pod hinge and Alternity Skywarps shoulder (what a weak design Takara). So I can partly understand why collectors decide to keep them boxed and protected by clear acrylic boxes. ^_^

I bought those plastic containers with dividers for tiny items at Daiso to store missiles, hands, etc. for my VF-1s.

Nice idea. I just use a simple toolbox to store commonly used accesories and store the rest inside their respective boxes.

I buy my figures to enjoy them and not keep hostage. I usually just keep them in one mode. My wife harps that I should not open them. I told her if I died tomorrow I would never know the feeling of transforming my Macross and Transformers at least once and to be honest whomever got them after me would most likely open them up anyway lol. I don't want to buy 2 of each either.

pop them cherries.

Hahaha. Seriously. What is the point unless you open them?

Well...

For collectors;

#thestruggle

If or when possible I try and get at least (2) copies. That way I satisfy my want to have a MISB/MIB copy and one to open and entertain my inner 10 year old with. And IF I only end up with (1) of something I strongly suspect will be very rare I keep it imprisoned (my first VF-4G comes to mind along with my VF-X).

It's a philosophy that's served me well over the years.

-b.

I buy a lot of multiples, and I open everything, and I kill the "value" by customizing and panel-lining them.

I could care less about the market value, what matters is their value to me.

but to each his own. There's something cool about having something from 10,20 or 30 years ago and not once touched by a human post packaging.

Unless rhetorical, to which I reply, why ask why? :p

-b.

I think I mentioned this elsewhere, but I see this stuff as 3D interactive art that you can change on a regular basis.

It beats the hell out of buying a painting or print and just staring at it on the wall.

I also don't collect statues for this reason. It's just a 3D painting. You can pick it up, but you can't do anything fun with it. I remember picking up statues as a kid and thinking, "why doesn't it's arm move."

I call it "curating" my collection instead of just amassing boxes and such.

That involves looking after each item, changing poses, working on my display cases and keeping them clean, trading, selling, shipping, and all the time I spend on forums.

It's what makes it a hobby for me. Vs just consuming a product.

Also, I find that having a set amount of display room forces me to only keep the items I really and truly love, and keeps me selling things that I'm not happy with.

That said I keep them as close to mint as possible. I don't like modding things, or putting stickers on unless I just have to. I keep the boxes, instructions and other thing in the best shape I can.

Just buying something and keeping it in the box seems odd to me. Why not just collect boxes and pretend you're spending $400 bucks? If you can't feel it, see it, and enjoy it, what's the point?

I also don't collect statues for this reason. It's just a 3D painting. You can pick it up, but you can't do anything fun with it. I remember picking up statues as a kid and thinking, "why doesn't it's arm move."

Articulated joints are great on something mechanical like a valk, but when It comes to human figures, I still prefer statues. there's less play value with fixed pose, but the aesthetic benefit of not having obtrusive joints is worth the trade off.