YetiStand Alpha.

ChaoticYeti

Awesome display, Edi! I like to have two points of contact on the larger Lego models. I add a dual arm or elbow to achieve the extra connection point.

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try!

Finally got a chance to try loading up my Beta during lunch today. Just putting the stand together, I could already see where there might be issues. The bend is really the weak point and its compounded by the fact that you need an elbow to get your arm on straight. That's two points of potential failure, as well as areas of instability. As a sidebar, you have to get creative with how you mount your arms to get them centered on the stand.

post-19027-0-24145800-1457113375_thumb.jpg post-19027-0-18164100-1457114544_thumb.jpg

The first thing I put on was a naked VF-11B, which I think is my lightest Valk.

post-19027-0-90753000-1457113370_thumb.jpg

The stand holds it just fine, but movement caused flexing of the bends. You might have seen a long screw in a previous photo; I was planning to try to get an elbow and knuckle on there at the same time for four arms, but abandoned that idea after this.

Here's some gunpla. Also holds well. Tried with the XL arm and a Dual (a single regular was too short and linking two was too much work).

post-19027-0-62313400-1457114546_thumb.jpg post-19027-0-01770000-1457114550_thumb.jpg

The lower price point is nice if you're using it for lighter collectibles (some Transformers, plastic models). The Alpha is a Cadillac -- like Yeti said, its robust and flexible enough to load up with everything plus the kitchen sink. The Beta is more affordable, but limited in what you can put on there. There's also the customization factor once Yeti can do laser etching in-house. I could see using Betas for one or two special display pieces, but not a whole flight wing, or if your collection is more modest. I'd definitely consider using these for my plastic models (or a similar, lighter and cheaper iteration), since Alphas are overkill.

If you put the arm on the inside of the elbow, it should be centered much better. Also, have the elbow extend out the other side.

UISQu9E.jpg

I'll say it again, even though you reiterated it, the beta is not a replacement for the alpha. Customization in the base surface and a cleaner look overall. Alpha is still the beast when your want to put more than one figure together on a stand.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

I assembled it following the logic that for a "standard" setup, the rubber washer goes on the side that's been photoetched. Its not supposed to make any difference, but it might matter to some people. Hence my "creative planning" comment, since you've also got to consider which direction you put the screws in so they can be tightened. Having the bend of the elbow on the right instead of the left was unexpected. I guess it does make sense since the tab on the base is offset to the left ever so slightly. Its not apparent at first glance, but after reading your comment, I remembered that from when I put the rubber feet on.

As far as changes, the only things that I can think of are making it more apparent that you put the elbow on the right and shortening the tab. Is there any way you can get the screw hole closer to the base and still have enough clearance for arm attachments? The longer it is, the more leverage you get on it, so it has the potential to bend and flex more. It could also alleviate some concerns about the acrylic being thinner, and since you basically require an elbow, the elbow could also add some support against too much (or catastrophic) flexing of the bend.

Other than that, I must say the Beta is a fine addition to the YetiStand family. Options are always good.

PS: You might not be able to tell, but my jury-rigged Gundam adapter is starting to fail LOL. If you can find some time in the next few months to whip up a few prototypes, I'd be more than happy to cover shipping and test some out for you.

I assembled it following the logic that for a "standard" setup, the rubber washer goes on the side that's been photoetched. Its not supposed to make any difference, but it might matter to some people. Hence my "creative planning" comment, since you've also got to consider which direction you put the screws in so they can be tightened. Having the bend of the elbow on the right instead of the left was unexpected. I guess it does make sense since the tab on the base is offset to the left ever so slightly. Its not apparent at first glance, but after reading your comment, I remembered that from when I put the rubber feet on.

As far as changes, the only things that I can think of are making it more apparent that you put the elbow on the right and shortening the tab. Is there any way you can get the screw hole closer to the base and still have enough clearance for arm attachments? The longer it is, the more leverage you get on it, so it has the potential to bend and flex more. It could also alleviate some concerns about the acrylic being thinner, and since you basically require an elbow, the elbow could also add some support against too much (or catastrophic) flexing of the bend.

Other than that, I must say the Beta is a fine addition to the YetiStand family. Options are always good.

PS: You might not be able to tell, but my jury-rigged Gundam adapter is starting to fail LOL. If you can find some time in the next few months to whip up a few prototypes, I'd be more than happy to cover shipping and test some out for you.

Part of the reason the section with the joint is so long is so I can bend it. I am working on some revisions that may alleviate your concerns about fragility.

The confusion about the elbow is understandable. I can only have one side of the acrylic laser etched from my current vendor. I will hopefully be able to laser etch both sides of the elbows when I have my own laser.

As to your ps, contract work has picked up in a good way recently. I can get to those adapters this week, most likely.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Cool. Just send me a PM whenever they're ready.

Because it was worth a shot, today I went ahead and put the knuckle on to see if I could get four arms. In the end, between the elbow and the knuckle, I couldn't get the screw on tight enough and the knuckle would slip and rotate. If I could get that secure, I probably could put 4 Valks on a Beta; whether that's a good idea is another matter. But yeah, 2 side-by-side or front-to-back should be no problem. With front-to-back, you just have to tweak your positioning to balance the weight depending on where you put the foot on the corner with the bend (mine was a little farther in, so it had a tendency to tip backwards more than necessary).

no, I mean this: http://www.yetistand.com/product/arcadia-1-60-vf-0d-fighter-adapter

How does it attach to the fighter mode? The back clips seem to click around the arms in a very specific spot but I've got no idea what I'm supposed to be doing with the front two clips.

Edited by anime52k8

A YetiStand day is a good day. I love the Beta stand; It's so much cleaner and nicer than the Alpha for single figures.

*snip*

NIce shot of the different stands.

Guest davidwhangchoi

hey Yeti or anyone, someone was asking me about the old yamato DYRL style launch arm stands, on how they're able to use the arcadia yf-19 on it but can't use the VF-0S on it bc it has the hex shaped adapters.

is there a custom adapter to use the vf-0 on the old dyrl launch yamato stands?

Edited by davidwhangchoi

There isn't any right now that I know of. I think the only way for the Arcadia VF-0S to fit would be to ask CY if he could have the VF-0 fighter-adapter made with the Yamato bottom connection instead of the yeti connection or the Macross zero adapter made with the Yamato bottom connection if you want to use the stock adapter.

Edited by wmkjr

Guest davidwhangchoi

There isn't any right now that I know of. I think the only way for the Arcadia VF-0S to fit would be to ask CY if he could have the VF-0 fighter-adapter made with the Yamato bottom connection instead of the yeti connection or the Macross zero adapter made with the Yamato bottom connection if you want to use the stock adapter.

thx! i'll let the person know :)

Guest davidwhangchoi

I can easily adjust the model for the VF-0 adapter to have the tab. I even had an initial design for that configuration.

kYpa9uzh.jpg

cool, the poster is from another forum but i linked him here. he's interested ordering from your site i let him know you're really accessible and helpful :)

Any chance there's an evolution toys vf-2 battroid connector in the works? For the ten of us that actually bought one...

I didn't buy one. If someone is willing to let me borrow theirs, they'll get the adapter for free. That valk has gaps for days. It would be trivial to make adapters for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't buy one. If someone is willing to let me borrow theirs, they'll get the adapter for free. That valk has gaps for days. It would be trivial to make adapters for it.

If you promise not to break it, You can borrow mine to make an adapter.

Just kidding. The thing is such a cluster, breaking it might be an improvement. :p

Side question: Do you know when you might have more beta stands available? I ordered another alpha the other day, but I want to do 2 betas for my VE-1 and custom VF-4 I'm building. The betas look so much better for single valk displays. I'll move the extra alpha over to a multi display later.

They seem to have been received well. I am redesigning the pivot point on the base taking into consideration some critique/concerns. I should have my laser cutter in hand around June. I would certainly order another batch before than if there is interest.