YetiStand Alpha.

ChaoticYeti

I like the beta. How much do you think? I need something good for my VF-4G coming this month.

Without etching they will be less than the Alpha. With etching they will be priced similarly to the Alpha. I have 7 more un-etched samples that I will sell if people want them. It would be through pm's or the fs thread on mw. I need to figure out how to set up the custom etching request on the webstore before I flip the switch on it. I'll make a post once pricing is nailed down for the samples.

Seems a greater design to me when you consider that it is easier to optimized the ground now, without the central tab.

Great job!

Thanks. I'll most likely still be offering the Alpha. Always good to have options.

Betas are looking friggin ace! I'm looking forward to them! Hope you keepbthe laser etching on them.

I will probably have a few designs made available. I won't be offering any trademarked/copyrighted, or logos/graphics on the webstore. I will figure something out for customers to submit graphics that they have created/collaged/assembled from whatever sources they want.

So Yeti, I may have missed it, but does this mean you've got the laser cutter now?

No laser cutter yet, and it has become even more unclear as to when it will arrive. I am using the same vendor as before to do the laser cutting. I would much rather be in complete control of production, though.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

All of the YetiStand bases, arms, and elbows are solid acrylic. The weight is one of the reasons why I am sticking with acrylic instead of injection molding. I got pretty close to pulling the trigger with one manufacturer, but the design got very skeletal and light. I don't want to sell a product I am not happy with. Hopefully the laser cutter route pays off.

Can we request custom etchings or logos at this point or is that on down the line? Loving the betas.

I'll be figuring that all out. I would estimate a 3-4 week delay from ordering a custom etch, to shipped.

I am not opposed to doing this now, but it will be cheaper once I have a laser cutter on hand. Would you like a template?

Heh, the Beta lost a DX stand's weight compared to the Alpha.

Weight isn't necessarily the issue with Bandai's stands -- to me its rigidity. The DX and Action Base stands are plenty good as long as they're perfectly static, but introduce any sort of movement (from posing, a bump, etc) and the thin plastic begins to flex and your rectum clenches while you wait for the wobble to stop. Yeti could probably cut the weight in half, but as long as the base is a solid piece of acrylic with enough mass and surface area (another problem with the DX is the area it has to distribute the forces) to support the position of the center of mass of the displayed piece(s), it'd be okay. The weak point then becomes where the arm joins the base (a problem with ABs): for a slotted pivot (Alpha) is there enough contact to firmly hold it in place, for an elbow (Beta) is the material strong enough to support the loads.

On a lark, I tried one of the DX pivots I recently bought (to modify into an adapter for something else), and its quite acceptable except for the plastic flexing where the pivot slots into the base. This limits how much I can move the center of mass of the suspended collectible to the left and right and how high above the base I can put things. But along the axis of the slot and a radius of about 3 arms? No problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to see the Macross kite logo medium or kinda biggish etched into a beta YetiStand..This is how Yeti will break all of us and make us buy more stands to replace the old unetched one's...His EVIL plan is now coming into focus..Well played sir...well played... :lol::lol::lol::p

Now I know his plan... replace my current stands... :blink: :blink: :lol:

Now I know his plan... replace my current stands... :blink: :blink: :lol:

Hey, they are just as awesome as the day you bought them. Beta does not diminish Alpha. Just a different option. Feel free to buy more, though ;).

YetiStand Beta is up for sale on the webstore. I only have 8 samples on hand. If you do purchase one, please give me feedback. Any and all is always appreciated.

http://www.yetistand.com/product/yetistand-beta-limited-availability

Nice shot with the flying 4G's saburo! B))

Battroid mode with twin gunpods floating in the air ftw!

Cant wait for moar! ;):lol:B))

Thanks Seti! I was trying out my new lens (birthday present to myself) for that shot and it turned out nice so I used it. :)

You don't have to wait anymore, I just posted a bunch of photos. ;):D

I've been meaning to post some new Yeti Stand pics for the last 2 weeks, but, well, life happened. But I finally found some time to put these up. Please excuse the image quality. They looked great on my PC, but something didn't scale very well when I uploaded them and they look really grainy as a result. Can't quite figure out what. It's also really inconsistent, since some look perfectly clear and others, not.

First up is my favorite new display piece. My old Yamato YF-19 paired with the updated v2 Arcadia. I had all the fast packs attached originally, but I like this naked look much better.

med_gallery_4884_813_1574074.jpg

I also picked up one of Yeti's YF-19 fighter adapters for the Arcadia. And damn, Arcadia should take some notes. Anyone who's used the Arcadia included fighter adapter will be well aware of how bad it is. It's attachment is loose and sloppy, and is positioned so far forward on the neck, that the weight in the back end causes the YF-19 to flex horribly, opening all the jonts along the back. Yeti's is much better in every way. The attachment is solid, and positioned much closer to the center of gravity, putting far less stress on the joints.

I also happened to have a chance to try out Yeti's DX stand starter kits. And since I was already playing around with my other YF-19's, I decided to test it out on the VF-19 Advance.

med_gallery_4884_813_2947475.jpg

Gotta say, I really like it. Far less obtrusive than the included black bar stand, and obviously has more options for positioning. Only down side I can see is that since the Bandai base is so much smaller than the Yeti base, it probably wouldn't be wise to mount more than one valk to it.

All together now med_gallery_4884_813_2693124.jpg

I also picked up a Yeti Stand Beta to test out. While I like the overall look, I have some concerns about it. Particularly about how much stress is placed on the folded over attachment point on the base.

med_gallery_4884_813_1746969.jpg

On a single valk, it's perfectly fine. But I decided to test how much it could take.

A medium sized Lego kit held fine, but the attachment point was visibly flexing. not horribly, but I'd worry about any kind of shock that might cause something this heavy to bounce, as that might put it over the limit.

med_gallery_4884_813_1763840.jpg

I upped the anti with a larger kit. While the Empire transport is similar in dimensions, it much more parts heavy, and weighs a lot more than the jet. I didn't dare put the full weight on the stand, I don't know if the stand could hold it, but I didn't want to break it trying.

med_gallery_4884_813_279396.jpg

Overall, the look is good, but I'd prefer the Alpha stand for multiple valks or anything heavy.

My personal thought is that the folded over attachment point on the base could use some reinforcing, since that essentially supports everything above. Because of the design of the beta stand, that point will always have a great deal of stress placed on the thinnest section. If that tab was thicker or folded up from the side (oriented 90 from the current) instead of the back it would probably address the issue entirely.

as a side note to Yeti, I'd love it if you made a 2x4 lego adaper as well. I have a few smaller builds that don't really suit the 4x4 adapter you make. You know I'm overhauling my basement, and I have plans :)

Busted, I appreciate the feedback, and am glad you are enjoying your stands! I do agree that the beta stands are less willing to be abused by weight than the alpha. I see the beta being used to show off 1-2 figures on a custom etched base, whereas the alpha remains an everything and the kitchen sink on top option.

I actually have 2x4 brick adapters. That is the size I started with. I can send some along on your next order, if you'd like, or for the cost of shipping. I found that 8 studs wasn't enough for me to feel that the model was secure, but I am willing to let you try them out.

Edited by ChaoticYeti

Busted, think you could weigh those Lego sets so we can have benchmarks?

I got my beta Beta (heh) Friday, but I got home late that day and I've been busy since so I haven't had a chance to load it up yet.

I don't have easy access to a scale that can accurately measure something this size, but Amazon list the weights as

31039 Blue Power Jet - 2.8lbs

75106 Imperial Assault Carrier 4lbs

They're probably a little lighter, as this is the weight including the box, but probably not much.

Busted, I appreciate the feedback, and am glad you are enjoying your stands! I do agree that the beta stands are less willing to be abused by weight than the alpha. I see the beta being used to show off 1-2 figures on a custom etched base, whereas the alpha remains an everything and the kitchen sink on top option.

I actually have 2x4 brick adapters. That is the size I started with. I can send some along on your next order, if you'd like, or for the cost of shipping. I found that 8 studs wasn't enough for me to feel that the model was secure, but I am willing to let you try them out.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Beta stand, and can think of at least 1 or 2 other things I'd like to use them on. It's just not the heavy lifter the Alpha is. Heck, I mounted a customed lego Star Destroyer to one of my alphas for a short time. The in box weight for that was 5.5 lbs, but I added a heck of a lot more legos to it and it was probably closer to 8lbs. (2 arms, 2 lego adapters)

Thanks for the offer on the brick adapters. They'll work much better for planes I want to mount. The body's on most are only 4-6 studs wide, and the wing less than 20. So really small.

that is a beautiful photo Lolicon! softy toned yet striking! im still eyeballing one of these stands for these exact two Valks!

If you're going to mount only one pair of valks together, it should definitely be the 19 and 21! Two beautiful and wildly different designs representing the most intense pilot rivalry in the franchise. :D

Do it!

If you're going to mount only one pair of valks together, it should definitely be the 19 and 21! Two beautiful and wildly different designs representing the most intense pilot rivalry in the franchise. :D

Do it!

Agreed. That's why it's so hard to top Macross Plus. ;)

I built Benny's SPACESHIP! this past weekend and gave the Beta a test. It feels a bit wobbly with the heavy load of the Spaceship. It may work better with the shorter arm instead of the longer one, but I didn't think about that until I installed Poe's onto the Beta and used the Alpha for the Spaceship. I may give that a try this week when I get some free time.

post-14399-0-67002900-1456956818_thumb.jpg

Awesome display, Edi! I like to have two points of contact on the larger Lego models. I add a dual arm or knuckle to achieve the extra connection point.

Edited by ChaoticYeti