YetiStand Alpha.

ChaoticYeti

Yeti,

When you get your own laser cutter, you'll be able to do the wall mounts in clear, correct? Looking at my display areas, and I think those are going to be the best bet for me. Also, do you think down-scaling your adapters to 1/72 would work for the Hasegawa model kits?

Yes on the wall mount, and I am doubtful on downsizing for the 1/72's. I can send you some for the cost of shipping and you can let me know.

I am doubtful on downsizing for the 1/72's. I can send you some for the cost of shipping and you can let me know.

I would be willing to do that, but hopefully someone in America could do it first!

Here are the measurements of the base pegs of the Act 4 and 5 Tamashii Stages.

post-19027-0-43896400-1451392411_thumb.jpgpost-19027-0-34995800-1451392413_thumb.jpgpost-19027-0-06454700-1451392415_thumb.jpg

The holes averaged ~4.5mm, so just a smidge off.

Could you design an adapter for the Bandai Action Base 1s? That'd cover a significant portion of their model line; the pre-AB kits use the little cradles and all the newer stuff usually have an adapter included on the sprues. The socket on the arm is a 5mm square with octagonal pegs on the adapter pieces -- I can get photos and measurements if you haven't got one on hand.

And the printed adapters are ABS, right? Have you got any recommendations on sanding some of the rougher outer surfaces down for a smoother finish?

Here are the measurements of the base pegs of the Act 4 and 5 Tamashii Stages.

attachicon.gif20151229_070349.jpgattachicon.gif20151229_070607.jpgattachicon.gif20151229_070649.jpg

The holes averaged ~4.5mm, so just a smidge off.

Could you design an adapter for the Bandai Action Base 1s? That'd cover a significant portion of their model line; the pre-AB kits use the little cradles and all the newer stuff usually have an adapter included on the sprues. The socket on the arm is a 5mm square with octagonal pegs on the adapter pieces -- I can get photos and measurements if you haven't got one on hand.

And the printed adapters are ABS, right? Have you got any recommendations on sanding some of the rougher outer surfaces down for a smoother finish?

Pictures and measurements would be great. You can sand them down to a fairly smooth finish, but the surface will dull unless you paint it. There are some Smooth-On products for 3d prints that lessen the effect of the surface ridges. Both processes alter the surface dimensions of the prints, and may effect how they fit.

Pictures and measurements would be great.

This is the adapter that came with the Hi-Nu and goes in a slot under the crotch.

post-19027-0-52536400-1451410122_thumb.jpg post-19027-0-06289200-1451410120_thumb.jpg

This is the slot on the stand arm. I measured the depth using the blade on the end; I just took the photo that way to show what that dimension was.

post-19027-0-77567700-1451410123_thumb.jpg post-19027-0-21645900-1451410121_thumb.jpg post-19027-0-25287600-1451410125_thumb.jpg

Let me know if you need anything else. I have a bunch of extra cradle adapters I don't use, so I don't mind mailing a few of them to you, as well.

You can sand them down to a fairly smooth finish, but the surface will dull unless you paint it. There are some Smooth-On products for 3d prints that lessen the effect of the surface ridges. Both processes alter the surface dimensions of the prints, and may effect how they fit.

I don't plan on doing anything to any surfaces that interact with other components, just minor cosmetic stuff. I'll experiment a little and see what works.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Yeti.

i haven't read through this 56 page thread entirely. but.. do you have an online configurator or easy pull down menu so that you can see what the end stand will look like with the optional arms? or a pre-set package, if you say, want to replicate the three ship fightermode VF-1 display?

like. "how many valks do you want to display on one stand?" 3. "In which mode" Fighter. "here is the suggested arm configuration required: XXX"

just a suggestion.. thanks

Hi Yeti.

i haven't read through this 56 page thread entirely. but.. do you have an online configurator or easy pull down menu so that you can see what the end stand will look like with the optional arms? or a pre-set package, if you say, want to replicate the three ship fightermode VF-1 display?

like. "how many valks do you want to display on one stand?" 3. "In which mode" Fighter. "here is the suggested arm configuration required: XXX"

just a suggestion.. thanks

That's is something I have been kicking around for awhile. I would love to have something programmatic. At the moment I am simply responding to emails with these questions posed, and assisting people in planning their orders. Are you a programmer?

Hi Yeti,

I have limited space, and I am considering a 3-fighter stand for my VF-1s and VF-25s.

Would you know the measurements HxWxL for these configurations posed in fighter mode?

Thanks.

Edited by arbit

Hi Yeti,

I have limited space, and I am considering a 3-fighter stand for my VF-1s and VF-25s.

Would you know the measurements HxWxL for these configurations posed in fighter mode?

Thanks.

I don't, off hand. Are you wanting to do 3 vf-1's on one stand, and 3 vf-25's on another, or 1 stand with a mix of both?

You'd be ok fitting 3 VF-1's on one stand with an additional 2 Dual arms. Probably a 10"+ sphericalish area depending on how the valks are oriented.

For the VF-25's you would also want to add 2 XL arms to the 2 Dual arms as they are much larger Valkyries. 12"+ sphericalish area depending on how the valks are oriented.

Are your Valks all v2/renewals?

Edited by ChaoticYeti

I just wanted to thank the ChaoticYeti himself for all his help with my order and the great stands to boot, they arrived last week but only opened the box yesterday, they are pretty damn cool!

I did however forget to order some adapters so time to save up again and put in another order in the not too distant future.

Cheers!

I just wanted to thank the ChaoticYeti himself for all his help with my order and the great stands to boot, they arrived last week but only opened the box yesterday, they are pretty damn cool!

I did however forget to order some adapters so time to save up again and put in another order in the not too distant future.

Cheers!

What did you forget? PM me and I'll get you squared away.

You'd be ok fitting 3 VF-1's on one stand with an additional 2 Dual arms. Probably a 10"+ sphericalish area depending on how the valks are oriented.

For the VF-25's you would also want to add 2 XL arms to the 2 Dual arms as they are much larger Valkyries. 12"+ sphericalish area depending on how the valks are oriented.

Are your Valks all v2/renewals?

Great. So thats 10" and 12" diameter, respectively.

And I have to say, wow, that is a great space saver.

Yes they are all V2.

Thanks.

Edited by arbit

So until Yeti whips up an Action Base adapter, I decided to modify a Metal Build hex adapter by gluing in some scrap plastic. The alignment of the Metal Build's hex isn't square, so I stuck the peg in with an offset, but it fits just fine.

post-19027-0-68997000-1452792833_thumb.jpg

post-19027-0-54137200-1452792832_thumb.jpg post-19027-0-28512000-1452792831_thumb.jpg

Its not ideal for long long term use without permanently fixing the parts together, but should hold together for a good while.

Finished reposing my Hi-Nu with its included stand adapter and the YS Metal Build adapter with funnels out the way I had it with the stock stand. Looks pretty good.

post-19027-0-87106600-1452793350_thumb.jpg

Except for multiple 1/100 kits or the larger and heavier ones (like MG Sazabi, that fatass), a YetiStand is probably too expensive at this point (will the price go down once you can cut your own acrylic?) to use for plastic models. Its definitely better than the Action Base or any of the stands Banda includes in the box.

I've pretty much written off trying it with my SoCs -- the ones in my collection have way too much die-cast and combining/transformation gimmicks to be stable. I'll probably try an HMM Zoid next.

cmal, that looks pretty cool with the funnels. I have printed prototypes of a lot of different things that I will start to show off once I get my laser cutter. Different designs, different sizes, different price points, customization options, etc. I remember you making suggestions about the model kit adapters. I will probably PM you later this month for some measurements and such. Still a really busy time of year for my job. Clients want to spend their budget at the end of the year, and want to start new projects at the beginning of the next. Good to be busy, but time is fleeting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

YetiStand Beta. Redesigned base. One piece. No longer slotted for pivot. Only downside is that it is 2/3 the thickness to accommodate the bend, which means it is lighter than Alpha. The Yeti graphics were just to test out laser etching. That's another slick bonus of having a clean unslotted base. You can put some pretty neat custom graphics there.

so being a lighter base would mean it would be a little less stable? Did you do the laser etching yourself? Nice idea! You could even do Macross designs depending on what one wanted displayed on the stand!

It will be less stable, but I am not sure how relevant that will be on a case to case scenario. It would probably make getting 5-6 valks on one stand more difficult, but 2-3 should still be ok.

Well, let's look at "stability" for a second.

These are all in grams:

zhNrLAzh.jpg

bGZsTewh.jpg

ayOMTUWh.jpg

I don't think there is anything practical to worry about. Beta will be lighter, but it is still almost 3 times as heavy as the stock bandai stand.

Some more pictures:

UISQu9Eh.jpg

u5kG9Rsh.jpg

QyglIDXh.jpg