Hey guys, just saw this over the weekend and was blown away by it. I wanted to spread the word about this production as I found it very well done. It's done in a "documentary" style and has impressive visual effects that combine some of the JJ Abrams fleet ships but with some TOS touches to them.

THE STORY

"Axanar takes place 21 years before the events of Where no Man Has Gone Before. It tells the story of Garth of Izar, the legendary Starfleet captain who is Captain Kirks hero and the role model for a generation of Starfleet officers. Garth charted more planets than any other Captain and was the hero of the Battle of Axanar. His exploits are required reading at Starfleet Academy.

This is the story of Garth and his crew during the Four Years War, the war with the Klingon Empire that almost tore the Federation apart, and whose resolution solidified the Federation and allowed it to become the entity we know in Kirk's time.

It is the year 2245, four years into the war with the Klingons."

Check it out here!

Edit: new link to current fundraiser. Link has all videos in it including Prelude to Axanar.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/star-trek-axanar/x/11444193#/story

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Now how is it that fan projects like this involving Star Trek or Star Wars don't get a C&D unlike Robotech fan projects? What is it that Lucasfilm/Disney/Fox or Paramount/Gene Rodenberry estate do differently that allows them to be more hands off with stuff like this opposed to Harmony Gold???

HG take note...this is how Kickstarters are done correctly.

I'll probably back this too...but no Jeffrey Combs? :)

Agreed. This was the first project I've donated to. I was so impressed with it.

Chris

Now how is it that fan projects like this involving Star Trek or Star Wars don't get a C&D unlike Robotech fan projects? What is it that Lucasfilm/Disney/Fox or Paramount/Gene Rodenberry estate do differently that allows them to be more hands off with stuff like this opposed to Harmony Gold???

It's usually at the discretion of the parent company, though (and this is the part that HG never mentions) a fan project could even potentially license the Star Trek/Robotech/Macross name for as little as $1 (again, parent company discretion) and the company would have done their duty to protect their trademark.

Anyway, let's not sully this Kickstarter by bringing HG into this. I'm excited about this and plan on contributing!

Paramount and the others don't feel threatened that the quality of a fan-film might make their own productions look pitiful and amateur by comparison. ^_^

Edited by Chronocidal

Glad yo guys like it. I really liked the whole "documentary" style they are using for the story. Be sure to spread the word about it if you know others that may like this.

Chris

I'm impressed as well, from the visual presentation as well as the inclusion of sci-if veterans like Kate Vernon, Tony Dodd and the guy that played Martok. My only concern is that CBS or some douchey lawyer somewhere will kill this thing before it gets a chance to go to warp...

Edited by myk

I'm impressed as well, from the visual presentation as well as the inclusion of sci-if veterans like Kate Vernon, Tony Dodd and the guy that played Martok. My only concern is that CBS or some douchey lawyer somewhere will kill this thing before it gets a chance to go to warp...

I don't think that is really a worry. There are all of those Star Trek Redone episodes now that straight up try to complete the original Enterprise' five year mission and Paramount hasn't shut them down.

I like this in concept. Production values are good. The script could have been given another once over. And I think some of the dialog direction during the interviews could be a bit better. It still feels like a fan-film but it's a pretty high quality one.

I would expect more from a 90 minute movie, however.

I don't think that is really a worry. There are all of those Star Trek Redone episodes now that straight up try to complete the original Enterprise' five year mission and Paramount hasn't shut them down.

I like this in concept. Production values are good. The script could have been given another once over. And I think some of the dialog direction during the interviews could be a bit better. It still feels like a fan-film but it's a pretty high quality one.

I would expect more from a 90 minute movie, however.

Star Trek Redone? I'll have to look into that...

Star Trek Continues is the best fan made production that truly captures the look and feel of TOS, IMO. Star Trek Pase II is another well known fan production, but, it is not nearly as well done as Continues.

Chris

Star Trek Redone? I'll have to look into that...

Oh, Dobber had the right title. Star Trek Continues is what it was called.

I would say that what Continues going for it is that it's emulating the corn-ball production values of the original series so it's much easier to get away with looking like you're doing it right when those old shows were pretty rickety from the start.

Huh... I haven't had a lot of interest in Trek since DS9 ended, but I have to say I am EXTREMELY impressed.

I may have to pledge some money to this, just to see what they do.

Glad to hear it! Every little bit helps I'd imagine. Glad to hear some of you guys are thinking of pledging as well. I'd really like to see the full movie too. ;)

Chris

This was posted in the comments section regarding the licensing issue.

" From the Axanar homepage:

"Is Star Trek licensed by CBS/Paramount?

No, Star Trek: Axanar is an independent project that uses the intellectual property of CBS under the provision that Axanar is totally non-commercial. That means we can never charge for anything. We will never sell the movie, DVDs, T-shirts, or anything which uses CBS intellectual property."

And this

"So basically as long as they don't sell assets that cbs used on air AND profit they should be fine? >_> ala the prelude to axanar backer disc and tunics are not classified as cbs intellectual property. And everything goes into the project. It's revenue but not profit"

So hopefully this should be fine. Also, as Mommar pointed out, Trek has a long tradition of fan productions of varying degrees of quality.....many with actual mainstream veteran Trek actors....and haven't had any issues.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I thought Kate Vernon (Ellen Tigh) was great!

Same here! I bet old Saul would agree with the Klingons..."Queen, Bitch, Whore of the Federation"

Chris

• 11 months later...

Hey guy's, just wanted to update you all on this project, in case you all forgot about it. The next pledge is underway so production can start. The last kickstarter went to cover the preproduction costs. The current campaign is for filming. Nearly there for the first part of it. If you want to see an new short scene for the movie it is available on the new page here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/star-trek-axanar/x/11444193#/story

Hope you all are still interested in this as I am. ;)

Chris

Axanar Productions dropped Kickstarter after it changed from Amazon payments to Stripe.

Indiegogo gives the team and its backers a crowdfunding tool that allows for a more flexible payment system.

Yes, and IIRC, it will make the distribution/ organization of Perks much easier for the Axanar staff.

Chris

Very cool! Just want to clarify the kickstarter link in the first post is old, the indiegogo link is the current one ;)

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/star-trek-axanar/x/11444193#/story

Chris

Edit: I edited the first post to just have the new link in it. It has all videos and info in it. ;)

Edited by Dobber