post-1887-0-13860500-1406921948_thumb.jpgpost-1887-0-21388100-1406921961_thumb.jpg

Well, this looks rather scary: Quotes from: http://atmelcorporation.wordpress.com/2014/07/26/hoverbikes-may-soon-become-a-reality

“We combined the simplicity of a motorbike and the freedom of a helicopter to create the world’s first flying motorcycle,” says a company rep.

The futuristic prototype has the potential to travel up to 92 miles or for about 45 minutes on a single tank of fuel, with a 3,048-meter maximum altitude and a top speed of around 45 MPH. “This a far cry from the full-size prototype’s theorized 173 MPH,” writes Wired’s Chris Higgins.

http://www.hover-bike.com/MA/

How the heck are they going to pass safety!?!!! :)

Until that 1st death happens. Let's not forget those FAA rules on that 10,000 ft max altitude. Oh, and those single occupant aircraft rules.

The FAA just doesn't want anyone to have any fun, that's all there is to it.

I believe the vanes you see inside the fan ducts are movable to provide stability/control. Also, if the experience of the Hiller flying platform is anything to go by, a lifting fan arrangement is self-stabilizing to a great (excessive?) degree.

EDIT: Actually, upon closer examination the vanes don't seem to have hinges, but the photo of the one doing a tethered test seems like it might show some control surfaces below the rear fan.

Edited by Nekko Basara

I believe the vanes you see inside the fan ducts are movable to provide stability/control. Also, if the experience of the Hiller flying platform is anything to go by, a lifting fan arrangement is self-stabilizing to a great (excessive?) degree.

EDIT: Actually, upon closer examination the vanes don't seem to have hinges, but the photo of the one doing a tethered test seems like it might show some control surfaces below the rear fan.

I didn't see those control surfaces. Good spot.

I also began to consider certifying for safety, since I don't see how this could work in a one-engine-out condition. Went to their website and saw that their most recent prototype design is actually a quad-copter with partially overlapping fans. This seems more stable and definitely a step in the right direction.

Who needs safety?

Ha! I guess that's one way to view it! :)

if it worked for Zeon...

That Zeon unit looks a heck of a lot safer with the VOTOMs or zaku helmet placed over the fans.

Funny - you can actually see a Hiller flying platform (mockup?) at the Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos, CA. http://www.hiller.org/flying-platform.shtml. You can even try out a sim of the controls but I was never able to "fly" it without crashing.

I also began to consider certifying for safety, since I don't see how this could work in a one-engine-out condition. Went to their website and saw that their most recent prototype design is actually a quad-copter with partially overlapping fans. This seems more stable and definitely a step in the right direction.

Looks more like a quad-copter drone. Still tons of safety issues: slowing down/breaking, objects caught in the blades, exploding blades, pilot safety in crash, etc. Neat project though! I hope they succeed.

Funny - you can actually see a Hiller flying platform (mockup?) at the Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos, CA. http://www.hiller.org/flying-platform.shtml. You can even try out a sim of the controls but I was never able to "fly" it without crashing.

Cool!

Last summer I was thrilled to see one at the Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air & Space Museum; you can see their page for it here. They didn't have any simulator for it, but they did have several other weird vertical flight prototypes.

Last summer I was thrilled to see one at the Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air & Space Museum; you can see their page for it here. They didn't have any simulator for it, but they did have several other weird vertical flight prototypes.

Nice! I went back and re-read the Hiller page and those are the only two of the six actual platforms that exsit! They don't know the whereabouts of the other four:

"Of the six Flying Platforms that were built, the (ONR) vehicle is on exhibit at the Hiller Aviation Museum, and the National Air & Space Museum has a 1031-A-1."

I haven't been to the Air & Space in decades but absolutely love it! I always get sucked in when I'm in the vicinity, and only have an hour or two afterwards to see the rest of the Smithsonian! :rolleyes: Hope to make it there again sometime. :)