"Wow, this is such a big place, but it's just you two. It's like the studio couldn't afford another X-Men movie."

"With such a big mansion it's funny how I only ever see two of you. It's almost like the studio couldn't afford another X-Man."

I thought I had seen everything, then

I saw a caricature of Deadpool jerk off a unicorn's horn into an explosion of rainbow jizz. :blink::huh::mellow::lol:

Oh, this film was filled with things I never thought I'd ever see, such as when

we watch Colossus get punched in the balls by Gina Carano :)

Speaking of which, Gina looked like an absolute beast in this film. Did she pack on muscle for this role, I mean, more than usual? :)

Edited by Mr March

Saw it with the wife last night. I went into it expecting to hate it as everything I'd seen made me think it was perfect for 13 year old boys but I'm well past that. I'm also not a Ryan Reynolds fan. Fortunately, I was very pleasantly surprised. I think the lower budget was a huge benefit as it didn't get bogged down trying to include too many people or do too much. I had a couple nitpicks and my wife had a couple different nitpicks.

I wasn't sure what the bad guy's plan was. Draw Deadpool to some crazy building and then beat Deadpool in a fight so bad he wouldn't be able to heal? That was the big plan? There wasn't like "I'll lure Deadpool into this contraption and reduce him to atoms" or anything like that. It was just "i'll hurt him so bad he won't heal." The guy survived an inferno... what are you going to do that's worse than that? Also, while funny, advising the taxi cab driver to kidnap the girl seemed maybe a little too far for someone who was a quasi good guy.

My wife thought:

that it didn't make sense that everything took place in one city and that he didn't approach his girlfriend ever. He is supposed to have this great sense of humor so you'd think he'd find a way to man up and talk to the girl. Does his avoiding her because he's ugly mean that he if she were ugly he would want her to go away? She suggested it would have been better if had been carted off to another location and if he just refused to leave that area until he'd extracted his revenge on everyone. The GF could have still been abducted and taken to the place for the final battle since he talked about her during torture.

Edited by jenius

Just saw it with the wife- lots of laughs, and some amazing action. This is Deadpool as he should be, and I'm so glad they didn't water it down for a PG-13 rating. The plot was thin, but I agree that the love story was presented brilliantly, and it was an excellent introduction to the eponymous character. Colossus gets well deserved mention as well.

The trailers had me thinking this was going to be super-cheesy and forced, but based on comments here, I decided to give it a watch anyway. The theatre was packed (1130 Sunday mornings are usually dead around here), and packed yesterday as well (did a drive by, saw all the cars, and decided to go this morning when it would be less busy- joke was on me), but we got in ok and from beginning to end, it was just funny as hell. If you liked Kickass, you'll likely enjoy this too.

My wife and I saw it last night and we both loved it!

"I know what your wondering..who'd he blow to get his own movie. Well it rhymes with mulverine!"

So many good lines in this movie.

Very nice SH9000! Are those the Marauder INC figures? I love your X-men collection btw.

Thanks. They're GI Joe Snake Eyes figures with the masks removed.

I would have been more impressed, sh9000, if all those cannon-fodder soldiers spelled out a certain name. ;)

That was what I was going to do but the figures weren't bending into the letters. I'll try again later. :D

Edited by sh9000

I thought it would be an unbearable movie because it would be trying too hard to be the anti-Marvel, "this is Deadpool" movie. This movie was both of those things but came off well with me; definitely enjoyed it. One thing that does confuse me is the absence of the rampant nudity and endless violence that everyone is claiming this movie features. I think I saw as much nudity in American Pie, and more violence in John Wick.

In any case, I'll probably watch it again, as it just struck the right chord with me. Or, is it Morena Baccarrin I just want to see again?

The sex and violence In Deadpool is definitely R-rated material and there's no shortage of it. However, I will agree that I did not get the impression it was the most violent or sexually explicit R-rated movie I've seen. It's edgy for a comic book movie, but I was shocked more by the language than anything else. But films like this don't really get made anymore. We older folks might have been raised on Robocop and Basic Instinct, but it's been a long time since that kind of filmmaking was the norm. And let's face it, most folks don't go to see Dredd or The Raid, not in the kind of numbers that fill the multiplexes and lead to $100 million in domestic reciepts. Perhaps to most folks raised on the last 15 years of mainstream popular culture, Deadpool is shocking.

One thing that I'm looking forward to is the DVD/Blu-Ray release of this one. They shot so much extra dialogue, so that'll be included.

The plot suffered because the studio cut their budget at the last minute by $7 mil. So they did this all for $50 mil. There were scenes that they'd planned that didn't get shot and Gina Carano's character was actually supposed to be 3 different people. In the end, it turned out well, I thought. Was even better the second time I saw it on IMAX.

The sex and violence In Deadpool is definitely R-rated material and there's no shortage of it. However, I will agree that I did not get the impression it was the most violent or sexually explicit R-rated movie I've seen. It's edgy for a comic book movie, but I was shocked more by the language than anything else. But films like this don't really get made anymore. We older folks might have been raised on Robocop and Basic Instinct, but it's been a long time since that kind of filmmaking was the norm. And let's face it, most folks don't go to see Dredd or The Raid, not in the kind of numbers that fill the multiplexes and lead to $100 million in domestic reciepts. Perhaps to most folks raised on the last 15 years of mainstream popular culture, Deadpool is shocking.

I agree...the 80's and early 90's movies were rife with all sorts of nudity, language, and extreme violence, and many of those movies are classics today, or are the inspiration for the watered down PG-13 movies over the last 20 years. Kickass, District 9, and Deadpool are hopefully harbingers of films to come. The original Robocop is still one of my favorite films. I really miss the old 70's and 80's type of movies. It was nearly an ironclad guarantee in any sci-fi or horror film that at least one set of nubile breasticles would make a cameo. :wub::lol:

As you said, the twenty-something crowd of today grew up on PG-13 level violence and language, with virtually no nudity at all in films, so to a generation raised on Puritanically sanitized films, something like Deadpool is likely beyond the pale. The movie was pure fun and hilarity all the way through, and one scene with a few bare breasts and an oddly familiar DJ just doesn't really scream sexually explicit. Hell, there was more explicit nudity in 50 Shades of Gray. (Thank you, Ms. Johnson). But, yes, it was edgier than one would expect in a comics-based movie. However, many of the comics have had very dark themes over the years, so for characters like Punisher and Deadpool, these levels of mature themes and violence are essential to the characters. As an exploratory toe in the Rated-R waters, I hope this gives other directors and producers the confidence to proceed with projects that before may have been seen as too risky as R-rated ventures.

The plot suffered because the studio cut their budget at the last minute by $7 mil. So they did this all for $50 mil. There were scenes that they'd planned that didn't get shot and Gina Carano's character was actually supposed to be 3 different people. In the end, it turned out well, I thought. Was even better the second time I saw it on IMAX.

Considering what absolutely abysmal sh!tstorms Michael Bay puts out with three times that budget, I'd say they did a tremendous job with Deadpool. The action scenes, esp those with Deadpool doing his acrobatics, making Colossus look like Colossus, and that stellar opening scene, were all money well spent, and I'm really glad that the movie has become as successful critically and financially as it has. Hopefully the director and Co. will get a better budget to do more on the next film. However, there is something to be said for a number of low budgeted movies, as it pushes them creatively, and often a better movie comes out of those limitations. Alien, Terminator, Halloween, Star Wars:ANH were all low budget films.

I agree...the 80's and early 90's movies were rife with all sorts of nudity, language, and extreme violence, and many of those movies are classics today, or are the inspiration for the watered down PG-13 movies over the last 20 years. Kickass, District 9, and Deadpool are hopefully harbingers of films to come. The original Robocop is still one of my favorite films. I really miss the old 70's and 80's type of movies. It was nearly an ironclad guarantee in any sci-fi or horror film that at least one set of nubile breasticles would make a cameo. :wub::lol:

As you said, the twenty-something crowd of today grew up on PG-13 level violence and language, with virtually no nudity at all in films, so to a generation raised on Puritanically sanitized films, something like Deadpool is likely beyond the pale. The movie was pure fun and hilarity all the way through, and one scene with a few bare breasts and an oddly familiar DJ just doesn't really scream sexually explicit. Hell, there was more explicit nudity in 50 Shades of Gray. (Thank you, Ms. Johnson). But, yes, it was edgier than one would expect in a comics-based movie. However, many of the comics have had very dark themes over the years, so for characters like Punisher and Deadpool, these levels of mature themes and violence are essential to the characters. As an exploratory toe in the Rated-R waters, I hope this gives other directors and producers the confidence to proceed with projects that before may have been seen as too risky as R-rated ventures.

To each their own. I feel rather the opposite; for all the violence and nudity in the action films of the 80's and 90's, IMO there's damned few classics compared to the vast numbers that were made. Personally one of the things I adore about Deadpool is that much of the misogyny and machismo from 80s and 90s action filmmaking was blissfully absent. They even had a scene or two which was rather gender progressive, especially in a genre known for poor depictions of women. I also found Reynolds confident yet nerdy and self-deprecating masculinity extremely refreshing. Deadpool isn't afraid to be who he wants to be and even when getting pegged, he's still a badass. The film had all the stuff I loved in older action films, but featured far more tolerance.

However, I will agree with you that I find the PG-13 trend of our current movie culture annoying and even disturbing at times. Especially things like the Dark Knight trilogy; as much as I love those films, the lack of blood and trauma for all the terrible violence really rubs me the wrong way. I've always felt that if one is going to show violence in a film, one has the responsibility to show it results, whether stylized or not. One of the reasons I love Netflix's Daredevil (and Jessica Jones to a lesser extent) is exactly because it always shows the consequences of violence - physical and psychological - and wove those themes right into the DNA of the story and character. Naturally, a PG-13 rating means that if a film features violence, it's going to be difficult not to trivialize it due to lack of blood and gore.

Now if Daredevil could just take some notes on the much better face mask in Deadpool, all would be right with the world :)